Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,176 members, 7,880,670 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:51 AM

Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan (1586 Views)

'GEJ Made Mistakes But God Knows He Tried' - Reno Omokri / Jonathan Calls Sawyer 'Crazy Man' For Travelling When Sick With Ebola / I Made Mistakes As President, But They Were “successful Mistakes” – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by HighBK: 8:25am On Oct 17, 2014
A top official at the Texas hospital where Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan died and two nurses contracted the deadly virus is apologizing to Congress for his facility’s “mistakes” in handling the highly contagious disease.

A transcript of testimony by Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer of the hospital’s parent chain Texas Health Resources, is expected to be presented at noon Thursday before the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.

“Unfortunately, in our initial treatment of Mr. Duncan, despite our best intentions and a highly skilled medical team, we made mistakes,” Varga’s testimony reads. “We did not correctly diagnose his symptoms as those of Ebola. We are deeply sorry.”

Because he cannot attend the hearing, Varga’s remarks were posted on a federal government website on Wednesday.

Texas Health is a faith-based, nonprofit organization consisting of 25 acute-care and short-stay hospitals. Varga, who was paid $500,000 in 2012, according to the group’s tax returns, is responsible for patient safety among other things.

The public apology is the first of its kind since late September, when Duncan, a Liberian citizen, went to Texas Health Presbyterian’s emergency room with Ebola-like symptoms and was sent home with antibiotics, even after telling workers he had recently arrived in Dallas from West Africa.

Duncan’s condition worsened in the two days after leaving the ER. He was suffering severe diarrhea and heavy vomiting when an ambulance arrived to take him back to the hospital on Sept. 28.

Varga said the hospital followed all federal and state guidelines to protect staff and others from Duncan, who died Oct. 8 after 10 days in isolation.

In his remarks, Varga expresses regret that two of his nurses — Nina Pham, 26, and Amber Vinson, 29 — somehow contracted the virus from Duncan.

“It’s clear there was an exposure somewhere, sometime,” the testimony reads. “We are poring over records and observations, and doing all we can to find the answers.”

He said Pham “is known as an extremely skilled nurse, and she was using full protective measures under the CDC protocols, so we don’t yet know precisely how or when she was infected.”

Others expected to testify include Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. On Wednesday, Fauci said of the hospital: “What happened there, regardless of the reason, is not acceptable.”

Varga also admits the hospital shared some information that was “inaccurate and had to be corrected,” but he does not specify what he is addressing.

“In our effort to communicate to the public quickly and transparently, we inadvertently provided some information that was inaccurate and had to be corrected,” his testimony reads. “No doubt that was unsettling to a community that was already concerned and confused, and we have learned from that experience as well.”

Varga goes on to say that Texas Health Presbyterian has already instituted a number of fixes, including an Ebola “refresher course” for emergency department staffers.

“We will continue to make changes as new learnings emerge,” the testimony reads.

Source: http://sobolation.com/we-are-deeply-sorry-dallas-hospital-made-mistakes-with-ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan/

Update:

Briana Aguirre (one of the Nurses who treated Duncan) risked her career to reveal that they were not trained to handle ebola, and that the protective gear they used revealed their neck! Imagine!

“I’ll be honest, I threw a fit," Aguirre said. "In the second week of an Ebola crisis at my hospital, the only gear they were offering us at that time, and up until that time, is gear that is allowing our necks to be uncovered?

"Why would I be wearing three pairs of gloves, three pairs of booties, a plastic suit covering my entire body and then leave my neck hanging out this much so that something can potentially go close to my mouth or nose?”

http://sobolation.com/revealed-usa-did-not-trained-their-nurses-on-how-to-handle-ebola-case/

People are now calling for resignations. USA Sha!, Heads must roll

More News: http://sobolation.com/

Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by ElFenomeno1: 8:27am On Oct 17, 2014
Crazy..... Similar to what happened in Nigeria
It is always very hard for a first case... And unfortunately it will be the same case for areas or regions who are less aware.
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by karlmax2: 8:28am On Oct 17, 2014
And no american has called obama clueless if this was nigeria u would see how the so called opposition would call gej unprintable names

1 Like

Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by HighBK: 8:32am On Oct 17, 2014
karlmax2:
And no american has called obama clueless if this was nigeria u would see how the so called opposition would call gej unprintable names

Well some are calling him worse president ever, will get links and share with you
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 17, 2014
karlmax2:
chukwu gozie gi....i was searching for obama is clueless but i didnt see it.APC makes nigerian politics look like a nollywood.
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by Greatihex(m): 8:37am On Oct 17, 2014
Look at the almighty american and incompetence. Mtcheew.
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by HighBK: 8:58am On Oct 17, 2014
Dr Varga's full testimony can be read on US Congress Website (House.gov)

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF02/20141016/102718/HHRG-113-IF02-Wstate-VargaD-20141016.pdf
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by Onlinebizexpert(m): 8:59am On Oct 17, 2014
If dis was naija heaven for don fall
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 17, 2014
karlmax2:
sometimes i wonder if some group of Nigerians rejoice whenever Nigeria is befallen with calamity.
Re: Ebola Mess ! Dallas Hospital Made Mistakes With Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan by thernee: 9:14am On Oct 17, 2014
Okay..

(1) (Reply)

Peter Obi And Upper Class Hotel Demolition The Untold Story By Chief Mokwe / Nigerian Artists Turned Politician Prefer Tocontest Under APC Than PDP Why? / Senator Ndoma Egba's Abuja Residence (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.