Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,122 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:07 AM

President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant (3516 Views)

Akpabio’s Credit Card Declined At London Hotel - Sahara Reporters / THROWBACK: How Gowon Declined U.S. President’s Invitation To Visit America. / U.S President Barrack Obama Credit Card Declined At Fancy Restaurant In New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 8:43am On Oct 18, 2014
President Obama Says His Credit Card Was Declined At A New York City Restaurant
[img]http://1.bp..com/-UdrIP0KN6SI/VEGwN-eRdUI/AAAAAAAAEKg/q7VQVr29NWc/s1600/1.gif[/img]
AP President Barack Obama recently had the embarrassing experience of having his credit card declined when he went out to eat.

Obama mentioned his credit-card issue on Friday when he spoke while signing an executive order aimed at protecting people from credit-card fraud.

He said his card was rejected when he was having a dinner date with his wife, Michelle Obama, in Manhattan during the UN General Assembly.
It turned out, I guess, I don't use it enough, to so they thought there was some fraud going on," said Obama. Fortunately, Michelle had hers."
Obama and the first lady dined at New York City restaurant Estela on Sept. 24 while he attended the annual UN meeting.
The White House did not respond to a request for comment about whether this was the meal where his card was rejected.
In July, a White House press pool report described Obama using his "JPMorgan card" at a barbecue restaurant in Austin, Texas. According to the report, before using the card, Obama asked an aide if it was good. He was assured it was and apparently used it without incident.

Business Insider reached out to JPMorgan to ask why Obama's card may have been shut off. A company spokesman declined to discuss the matter and said the company does not " comment on customers' accounts."

This isn't the only recent issue with Obama's credit card. Earlier this month, a JPMorgan SEC filing revealed the company suffered a massive cyberattack where personal information from tens of million customers may have been "compromised." The company declined to comment about whether Obama was among users who may have been affected.

http://www.chichinwaafrica.com/2014/10/president-obama-says-his-credit-card.html?m=1
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 18, 2014
At 18 trillion dollars and counting, who will borrow him another dime?

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by calobinna(m): 8:48am On Oct 18, 2014
hmm.. this is front page material
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by dustydee: 8:52am On Oct 18, 2014
President Barack Obama's credit card was declined at a restaurant in New York City last month, he said.

"It turned out I guess I don't use it enough," Mr Obama said. "They thought there was some fraud going on."

Fortunately, he said, First Lady Michelle Obama had a credit card on hand and paid for the meal.

Mr Obama told the story at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as he announced new protections for debit cards used to deliver federal benefits.

An estimated 100 million Americans have been affected by identity theft in the past year, including high-profile security breaches at retailers like Target and Home Depot.

"I was trying to explain to the waitress, you know, I really think that I've been paying my bills," Mr Obama said. "Even I'm affected by this."

The US president is paid $400,000 (£250,000) per year, as well as given a non-taxable $50,000 expense account.

The last sentence got me thinking about Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 8:53am On Oct 18, 2014
In my country, Nigeria, this will never happen to my President. Over a billion naira is budgetted for his meal alone. In fact he won't be seen in a public place eating. If outside the FCT, the seat of power, he would be in one of the 36 presidential lodges across the country.

4 Likes

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 18, 2014
calobinna:
hmm.. this is front page material

No it's not.

What should make front page is how this telepromted actor has gone on to destabilize Syria, Egypt and Libya, fund Boko Haram and defend them, start another round of cold war with Russia over Ukriane, deliberately unleashed Ebola over west Africa, spy on NATO-EU governments, release captured muslim fanatics from gitmo, subvert citizen freedoms in the U.S. by enacting several presidential directives aimed at curtailing liberty and freedom and for being an obnoxious arrogant pr1ck

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 8:55am On Oct 18, 2014
dustydee:

The last sentence got me thinking about Nigeria.
Please, if that money is converted to naira, what would it be?
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by gunuvi(m): 8:56am On Oct 18, 2014
I dey come make I use my own too first
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by davdandam(m): 9:00am On Oct 18, 2014
That awkward moment when Obama no fit pay bills for restaurant. ...oga ade go wash plate for back o
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by experimentist: 9:12am On Oct 18, 2014
Who be that waitress wey go fit ask Naija president for payment of meal?

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 9:14am On Oct 18, 2014
Omimah:

Please, if that money is converted to naira, what would it be?
If 450,000$ Is converted at current exchange of approximately 170 per dollar the sum total is 76,500,000naira but theres a tax deduction of 25%, his take home pay after tax is 59,500,000 naira per year.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by phantom(m): 9:21am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

If 450,000$ Is converted at current exchange of approximately 170 per dollar the sum total is 76,500,000naira but theres a tax deduction of 25%, his take home pay after tax is 59,500,000 naira per year.
that's about 5million/month meanwhile,somewhere in Nigeria,a country whose GDP is 1/34th that of the US,a senators take-home is 29.5million/month.
Nigeria is a huge joke!!

2 Likes

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

But you forgot that room and board is paid for. Transportation to virtually any corner of the world is covered. 5 star dwelling in the most recognized neighborhood ever. There is also the top notch security and excellent health care he enjoys.

And if you happen to be a narcissistic cun.t like obama you will love the attention you get whenever you want to spew crap.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 9:32am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

Please sir, go through your comment again. Are you sure of what you gave as the naira equivalent?
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 9:33am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

But you forgot that room and board is paid for. Transportation to virtually any corner of the world is covered. 5 star dwelling in the most recognized neighborhood ever. There is also the top notch security and excellent health care he enjoys.

And if you happen to be a narcissistic cun.t like obama you will love the attention you get whenever you want to spew crap.

Bro I ain't one of those who exchange words with fellow nairalanders and ain't about to start now with you.
You've got you believes about America and have got mine so respect that as much as I respect yours and stop inciting hatred on social medium when it will better serve you else where and in case you don't know where, look no further than aso rock and if that isn't close to you then pick the other alternative which is your state govt house and better still if you are far from a state capital the LGA secretariat will be a good start to insight hatred cause those are the once affecting your daily life's and not America nor nairaland users.
I comment my reserve

3 Likes

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 9:35am On Oct 18, 2014
Omimah:

Please sir, go through your comment again. Are you sure of what you gave as the naira equivalent?
Yes am sure and if my calculation looks fictitious whip out your calculator and do same.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by omenka(m): 9:36am On Oct 18, 2014
That is what happens in a country built on time tested institutions.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

Bro am ain't one of those who exchange words with fellow nairalanders and ain't about to start now with you.
You've got you believes about America and have got mine so respect that as much as I respect yours and stop inciting hatred on social medium when it will better serve you else and in case you don't know where look no further than aso rock and if that isn't close to you then pick the other alternative which is your state govt house and better still if you are far from a state capital the LGA secretariat will be a good start to insight hatred cause those are the once affecting your daily life's and not America nor nairaland users.
I comment my reserve

What a fool.

Was there any insult directed to you? Did I spew hate?

You must either be a complete m0r0n or an autistic phuck head with no comprehension skills.

Get off my mentions.

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 9:40am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

What a fool.

Was there any insult directed to you? Did I spew hate?

You must either be a complete m0r0n or an autistic phuck head with no comprehension skills.

Get off my mentions.

With citizens as such, I weep for my country Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 18, 2014
omenka:
That is what happens in a country built on time tested institutions.

Former U.S. president Bush and his son are billionaires.

They made their money from oil and defense contracts. They got to power to ensure that U.S. policy maintains their wealth.

Obama made a lot of money as a senator lobbying big pharmaceutical companies. His ObamaCare hopes to make these same companies richer and bigger.

There exist a loop hole in the U.S that allows any Presidential candidate to spend campaign funds as he or she fits. Majority of campaign funding ends up in their personal account.

They also make a lot of money from speeches after leaving office. Clinton is by far the biggest crowd puller. They also do more lobby jobs after office as well.

Don't be fooled by this white house lame attempt in trying to depict Obama as the average Joe struggling with bad credit.

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

With citizens as sure I wipe for my country Nigeria.

learn to write good English first.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 9:44am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

Does the US President:
-enjoy the luxury of 10 jets
-not have to stress the Presidency looking for where to lodge when outside the FCT because there 36 presidential lodges scattered across the states.
-have the runway of any airport he lands closed to other users and aircraft schedulled to land hover for hours in the sky?

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 9:50am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

They made their money from oil and defense contracts. They got to power to ensure that U.S. policy maintains their wealth.

Obama made a lot of money as a senator lobbying big pharmaceutical companies. His ObamaCare hopes to make these same companies richer and bigger.

There exist a loop hole in the U.S that allows any Presidential candidate to spend campaign funds as he or she fits. Majority of campaign funding ends up in their personal account.

They also make a lot of money from speeches after leaving office. Clinton is by far the biggest crowd puller. They also do more lobby jobs after office as well.

Don't be fooled by this white house lame attempt in trying to depict Obama as the average Joe struggling with bad credit.

Nobody cares what Obama or any US President does to get money other that what he is paid, just as nobody did about Obasanjo's extra money from his farm. Our concern is the amount of money the country pays the President as his salary.

1 Like

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by omenka(m): 9:52am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

You sure misunderstood me. Even the average joe can find his way around such miscellinous bills. What I mean was, regardless of how highly placed you are, rules are rules and must be adhered to (to a great extent) regardless of how highly placed you are.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 9:53am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

Yes am sure and if my calculation looks fictitious whip out your calculator and do same.
Ok.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 18, 2014
Omimah:

Does the US President:
-enjoy the luxury of 10 jets

Ignorance is not an excuse to be stupid.

The U.S. presidential air fleet is what the Nigerian equivalent modeled itself to be.

Air Forec one is by far the most expensive aircraft to maintain and the U.S president enjoys a fleet of helicopters at his disposal.

The 11 aircraft you are accusing the FG are smaller in number and less sophisticated than what the U.S. presidency has.

AirForce One is not the only aircraft in their fleet but it is the only aircraft the U.S. president flies.

The 11 aircraft under the Presidential fleet where acquired after Buhari stole power and confiscated company jets in NEPA, NITEL, NPA.

Blame you holier than thou messiah buhari for increasing the fleet size.

Omimah:

-not have to stress the Presidency looking for where to lodge when outside the FCT because there 36 presidential lodges scattered across the states.

The U.S president has several lodges outside the White House eg Camp David. The U.S. president is lodged in a five star suit outside the country. When George Bush visited Nigeria during OBJ's tenure, NICON Transcorp was evacuated for Bush and his itinerary staff.

Omimah:

-have the runway of any airport he lands closed to other users and aircraft schedulled to land hover for hours in the sky?

Fighter jets accompany the president and the airspace is usually off limit . The President usually lands in military bases within the U.S. and hops a marine chopper to any of his destination accompanied by doubles and ground personnel.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Descartes: 9:57am On Oct 18, 2014
Hmmm...
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Justice629(m): 10:01am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

learn to write good English first.
English is over rated and I don't care how I write or speak it so long as the other person understands what matters most is how well we live our life's.
If english were to be the all and all China wouldn't be the second largest economy today but England and Germany wouldn't be the biggest economy in Europe but England. So if na English you won chop carry on I don't give a damn 4uk

3 Likes

Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 18, 2014
Justice629:

English is over rated and I don't care how I write or speak it so long as the other person understands

That is where you sounded off like a ret@rd.

How on earth was I to make sense of this rubbish you wrote below?

Justice629:

With citizens as such I wipe for my country Nigeria.

Am I to infer that; "citizens wipe country azz" ?
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Omimah: 10:14am On Oct 18, 2014
RevDesmondJuju:

Ignorance is not an excuse to be stupid.

The U.S. presidential air fleet is what the Nigerian equivalent modeled itself to be.

Air Forec one is by far the most expensive aircraft to maintain and the U.S president enjoys a fleet of helicopters at his disposal.

The 11 aircraft you are accusing the FG are smaller in number and less sophisticated than what the U.S. presidency has.

AirForce One is not the only aircraft in their fleet but it is the only aircraft the U.S. president flies.

The 11 aircraft under the Presidential fleet where acquired after Buhari stole power and confiscated company jets in NEPA, NITEL, NPA.

Blame you holier than thou messiah buhari for increasing the fleet size.

The U.S president has several lodges outside the White House eg Camp David. The U.S. president is lodged in a five star suit outside the country. When George Bush visited Nigeria during OBJ's tenure, NICON Transcorp was evacuated for Bush and his itinerary staff.

Fighter jets accompany the president and the airspace is usually off limit . The President usually lands in military bases within the U.S. and hops a marine chopper to any of his destination accompanied by doubles and ground personnel.

I'm talking about the number of plane Nigeria has compared to the US, you are talking something else. Camp David is a place of retreat, when the President is on leave.
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 18, 2014
Omimah:

I'm talking about the number of plane Nigeria has compared to the US, you are talking something else. Camp David is a place of retreat, when the President is on leave.

OK for sake of educating you let me restate what i earlier posted.

Air Forec One is a call sign for any aircraft within the U.S. air fleet which is conveying the president.

A call sign is what air traffic controllers designate any given aircraft that is air borne.

The tag Air Force one is for any aircraft within the U.S. Presidential air fleet conveying the president.

There are several dozen aircrafts and a host of choppers which form the presidential fleet.

[img]http://media.dma.mil/2004/May/06/2000592181/670/394/0/040504-F-2621S-004.JPG[/img]
Re: President Obama Credit Card Declined At A New York City Restaurant by fr3do(m): 10:31am On Oct 18, 2014
What is the message they are trying to convey?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How propaganda works ... / Jimmy Agbaje As Governor Advances The Plan To Make Lagos A "No Man's Land" / Photos Of A Fully Grown Man's Marriage To A Child In Maidiguri Surfaces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.