Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,145 members, 7,883,977 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 08:22 PM

Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection (1769 Views)

How To Find Out If Someone Is Stealing Your Internet / How To Detect An Hidden Camera In A Room / Hotspot Login/billing System - Secure And Brand Your Wifi Internet Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by blognetbase(m): 6:01am On Oct 20, 2014
Wireless network stealing is very common these days. People somehow broke through your WiFi password and then start utilizing your network more than yourself. They keep sucking your bandwidth, increasing load on your network to browse internet, download big files, movies etc. and who is going to pay for all their fun and large bandwidth wastage? You!

So, whether you are providing WiFi to your company, shop, hotel and even at home, you need to keep track of devices which are getting connected to your network and use your WiFi provided internet because a small ignorance can cost you double or even triple for the WiFi connection.

So, how to detect if someone is stealing your WiFi connection? Well, that’s an important question. You can find lots of technical ways in Internet upon this topic but here, at our website, as we have a trend to provide easiest solutions to every tough technical problem, so we have come up with simple and straight solution to detect WiFi thief for your WiFi connection.

Method #1 – Check Router’s Indicator Lights

Your WiFi router indicator lights show Internet connectivity, hardwired network connections and also wireless activities. So, shut down/disconnect all your network devices and check if the indicator light is still blinking. If it’s blinking, it means your wireless connection is being used by someone. It however not let you know that who is stealing your wireless connection but still, it is a quick-and-dirty method to confirm for the suspicions.

netgearlights Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your WiFi Connection

Method #2 – Check Connected Device

To use this method, you need to have administrative access to the WiFi network. If you have it, you’ll be able to check the connected devices and get their IP, MAC address and even the device name (if provided) so that you can detect and identify the intruder to your network. To do this,

Login to your router with its IP address using your admin username and password.
Look for connected devices section. Devices can be listed as Attached devices, My Network, Device List.

Method 3

Who Is On My WiFi is a free windows software that you can install in any connected device (you don’t need to have administrative access even, just if you’re a client to that network, you can view who else is on accessing the WiFi network).

You can specify a range of IP address that you want “Who Is On My WiFi” app to scan, or can can just let it to automatically scan your entire home network for connected devices. You’ll come back with IP address, MAC Address, computer names (if they’re broadcasting), connection status and more. Hence, you can make a list of devices which are yours and dig a little dipper to the device which aren’t familiar to you.

SOURCE http://bestmanblog.com/knowledge-tips/detect-someone-stealing-wifi-connection/#more-66

Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by 2cato: 7:18am On Oct 20, 2014
Why would any reasonable person open his wifi connection to the public without passwording it.
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Fulaman198(m): 8:56am On Oct 20, 2014
The real way you check to see who is on your network is with a packet sniffer
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Fulaman198(m): 8:57am On Oct 20, 2014
2cato:
Why would any reasonable person open his wifi connection to the public without passwording it.

All forms of wireless encryption are breakable, even WPA2 WITH AES
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by persius555(m): 8:48pm On Oct 20, 2014
You could also create an access list that denies rogue devices from accessing port 80 and 23 in youe router.
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Fulaman198(m): 8:52pm On Oct 20, 2014
persius555:
You could also create an access list that denies rogue devices from accessing port 80 and 23 in youe router.

That would only block telnet and http traffic. It doesn't do much. There is not much you can do to someone who breaks into your Wi-Fi via a backdoor. Sniffing the network traffic always helps.
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Oxone(m): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2014
OP you can always allow/deny access base on mac address. That has always been the best option for a SOHO.

Another option is to stop broadcasting the SSID so that only those with prior knowledge of the network can access it with the correct credential ofcourse
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Fulaman198(m): 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2014
Oxone:
OP you can always allow/deny access base on mac address. That has always been the best option for a SOHO.

Another option is to stop broadcasting the SSID so that only those with prior knowledge of the network can access it with the correct credential ofcourse

That would not work on a sophisticated hacker who knows how to spoof and poison an ARP cache. There are programmes out there that allow one to duplicate a MAC address on an existing network.

What you said works for the noobs though cheesy
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by macof(m): 9:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lol pls leave your wifi for us. Purchasing Data isn't easy these days grin grin
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by Fulaman198(m): 10:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
macof:
Lol pls leave your wifi for us. Purchasing Data isn't easy these days grin grin

Don't worry I'll leave my guest wifi on in case if you ever visit me in Abuja, but you most cease your fetish for looking at big booty girls online cheesy

1 Like

Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by persius555(m): 8:26am On Oct 22, 2014
There is no one size fit all solution to securing or preventing access to a wireless network of any kind. A combination of all the proferred solutions could equally result to unnecessary network headache and overhead. Over the years, analysts have resulted to setting up extra layer mechanisms like radius and tacacs server. This also is an overhead, but then no amount of steps taken to secure your network is excessive.
Re: Detect If Someone Is Stealing Your Wifi Connection by macof(m): 8:52am On Oct 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

Don't worry I'll leave my guest wifi on in case if you ever visit me in Abuja, but you most cease your fetish for looking at big booty girls online cheesy

Lmao grin I wouldn't even think of it

(1) (Reply)

Brand New HP Notebook Laptop For Sale (photo) / How To Hookup A Laptop To A TV (With Pictures) / Gta San Andreas Game Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.