Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,584 members, 7,929,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 05:15 AM

Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? (1045 Views)

Over Three Million Nigerians In US, Canada – Carrington / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by blackspade(m): 11:53pm On Nov 16, 2008
Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by EloSela(f): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2008
Wikipedia is not a reliable source. grin You should be very wary of articles that don't use accurate references and are written with a personal slant/tone.

Blacks people (including Nigerians born in Nigeria) were around 2% of the UK population (just over 58m) according to the 2001 census and the CIA world fact book.  The population, as a whole has only grown by over 1% since that time. This doesn't count illegals though but I doubt that more than 50,000 Nigerian illegals would be able to hide on such a small Island.

1 Like

Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by blackspade(m): 7:57am On Nov 17, 2008
That is not from Wikipedia, but from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the United Kingdom. I think the numbers you're talking about are of British citizens, and I think the number I found included British & Nigerian nationals.

Do you think it's as high as 3,000,000?
Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by EloSela(f): 1:44pm On Nov 17, 2008
At a guess, going by the 2001 census and my own perceptions living in England, I would estimate there to be less than 1 million Nigerians (including those born abroad) in Britain. 3mill is an over inflated estimation.
Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by Busybody2(f): 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2008
blackspade:

Do you think it's as high as 3,000,000?

I know it is higher than that figure wink

In 2003, the Department of Health cried out that the level of Nigerians that were using the NHS were 1 in 20 i.e. one in twenty people that uses the NHS were of Nigerian descent, so this put Nigerian population at roughly 3.3 million, hey don't forget this was before the high influx of Nigerians into the country in 2004, which kinda led to the ban placed on the under 30's.

Yes, I know that about a-tenth of those, are the ones who just travel abroad to seek medical treatment only, but we all know that once a Nigerian or any other nationality for that matter, is issued with a visa/entry clearance, the next thing on their mind is how they would bring over all their dependants, including the family dogs, cats, etc cheesy cheesy cheesy   

The DOH tried to bury the incriminating news, but not before contacting airlines that patronised Nigeria, India and Pakistan to screen pregnant women to prevent them from travelling . . .

In addition to this, the further out you go in Britain, the less ethnic minority you see, and the less the population of the county is, so can imagine that the second largest city after London is Birrmingham, and they have a population of just over a million people of whom 1 in 3 are ethnic minority,1 in 5 of the population are born outside the UK, and 1 in 2 school children are non-white. They also found that Greater Manchester with a population of around 2.55 million had 1 in 4 Africans, 1 in 5 Indian sub-continent, and 1 in 5 from North America. (Source: DOH 2003/Office for National Statistics - 2006) The yanks are the worst culprit when it comes to countries whose citizens overstay their visa, they also think paying the congestion charge is beneath them and thinks the sun shines out of their arse tongue
Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by akinalabi(m): 6:19pm On Nov 18, 2008
Naija go reach about 5m for UK o grin

@ EloSela,

Illegals go pass 50,000. I'm sure I know up to 10,000 Naija
illegals sef. grin
Re: Up To 3 Million Nigerians In Britan? by chika98: 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2008
Na wa oo but i ain't surprised sha. Nigerians full ground for there.

(1) (Reply)

Pfl Surulere - Your Passport To Uk Education: 30 Eric Moore Close, Surulere / Apply For Visa One Year Before Travel, Says U.s. Embassy / Help On Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.