Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,706 members, 7,882,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 02:26 AM

The Things We Do For Love(fiction). - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Things We Do For Love(fiction). (998 Views)

Which Theme/underlying Message Would You Love Fiction Books To Explore Deeper? / ¤Step Down For Love¤ A story by Vonn / A Game For Love and Marriage - Two Can Play The Game - Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by ShaddyTerese(m): 10:43am On Oct 27, 2014
The decision to travel to Abuja had come so suddenly even though I thought I had carefully planned it out for over a month prior to the day. I had mentioned the idea and planned in that light with a sole aim of going there to unwind after a very demanding semester that almost left me breathless.
Yet the urgency in my plan came as a result of one thing: No! Not a thing but a person. That one lady that had captivated my soul and brought back the tingles to life in me.
I had not seen her and when I finally realized that I was going to be away without seeing her for that long, the thought was unbearable therefore I took a decision on the eve of my journey.
I am a regular jogger who jogs twice a week: Mondays and Saturdays. The choice of days was informed based on my psychological attachment to what i will achieve from them. I believed that jogging on a Monday morning was a perfect way of starting my week. It will relieve me of unnecessary tension and free my mind of less productive thoughts thereby making me entirely efficient all week long. Saturday was informed on the basis that it gave me an opportunity to reflect on the just concluded week as I pace on, correct and learn the lessons and also celebrate any successes.
But Friday wasn’t on my jogging agenda. I had decided I would use it to achieve my mental objective and most of all pay her a surprise visit since her house was close to the path I usually followed when jogging. More so, I personally have a strong attachment to surprises; pleasant surprises, because it makes romance more romantic.
All through the night I kept thinking of one thing: 5:45am. It was the time I usually started dressing up to hit the road. The night extended unusually for me and since I barely even slept I was terribly irritated by the noise the stray pigs made in the refuse dumps close to my room as they dug up garbage to eat. The tom cats seemed to be actively searching for their mates and seemed to be getting lucky about it as I head the meowing sounds from the pussy cats. Back in my room, I realized for the first time that a supposedly spoilt clock which I had abandoned awhile ago under my table was actually still ticking. My awareness that night seemed to rather annoy me as I rolled from one end of the bed to another.
“its time to get up, the time is 5:45am”. That was my alarm clock alerting me. I quickly sprang out of bed because to me it had taken “forever” to arrive. Making for my wardrobe, I brought out my sporting outfit and dressed up almost immediately.
As I stepped out of my room, I did the unusual. I carried my phone along. I never did that before and at the moment I didn’t know or have any explanation for the action, yet the excitement of seeing her in a couple of minutes overwhelmed every other sense in me.
I walked eagerly to my starting point at Terguma Street. As it was expected, others were also performing the drill. The business minded ones where also setting up their places to kick start their day.
I got on the road with the right motivation. At that moment, I reminded myself of my athletic years back in secondary school and how I could cover distances with amazing speed and time. I wanted to do same today. Every step I took mattered to me as I overtook fellow joggers like a speed train. I was quite impressed with my ability and without realizing I was almost at the turn that led to her house.
Suddenly a hand grabbed my shirt from behind and on turning to see who it was, what happened seemed more like a James Bond movie. The hooded guy that grabbed my shirt placed a revolver pistol right on my “belly button” and immediately cocked it. In the bid to understand what was going; to be sure I wasn’t dreaming, his accomplice appeared by my side with a cutlass in hand at a ready position as though I was a threat.
“So na you the claim Don One abi”? “Where you comout from”? He questioned on.
I am coming from Terguma Street; Am just jogging. That was my response.
After searching me he retrieved my Techno L3 phone that was in my back pocket and ordered me to vanish out of sight.
Of course I did. Happily sef. Because at that momoment, I thought that was it. Am not sure what I was supposed to be thinking about at that moment but her thoughts were what flooded my mind and when I was set free I wished I could immediately fly to her embrace for the comfort felt no one could provide for me at that moment.
Knock! Knock! Knock! The dead silence from her room irritated me. I knocked again and this time I heard her voice. The voice I was willing to pay any price to hear before traveling that morning.
Who is it? She asked.
Dooshima it’s me. I answered.
“…come in”. that is what she said or probably what I thought I heard her say. But on pushing the door to come inside, I felt a resistance. Just then I realized that what she had said was “am coming” and not “come in”
Who I saw on the ground wasn’t her friend. No! It was a male figure. Was this the assignment she told me she had to attend to? Was this why she didn’t care even though she knew I was travelling for a while? The questions kept coming yet no corresponding answers.
The pain in my heart overwhelmed me because until now I had not realized that I was in the rain. The pain from the cutlass the other guy hit me with before I left them came alive in my back. I couldn’t bear the sight. I turned around and walked away as she called behind me: Terese, please I can explain please.
Explain? Did she just use that word? Is that what she said? A moment ago, I was willing to risk anything; even my right leg to see you. All the pain I took in because I felt you deserved even more. Until now you had been a secret I couldn’t hide anymore. Dooshima; how could you possibly explain that to me? That why I had thought I we were both in love with each other, I had actually been in love alone. All this, I said in my mind. She saw the tears in my eyes and I saw the regret in her eyes too. But it was over. Our hopes; or maybe my hopes about “us” were all dashed away. The damage was irreparable; at least to me. She would never know what I went through to get to her ‘cos I wasn’t prepared to tell her but deep down in my heart I knew that all the things that a man would do for the sake of love, I would have reserved none just for her sake but the reality before my eyes shattered those dreams like a mirror crashing on the ground from the top of a building.
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by cupidora(f): 10:53am On Oct 27, 2014
Started reading,stopped halfway *going back to read* cool *Modified*
From the beginning you wouldn't know its a sad story tho. embarassed You're a good writer. Btw,I'm from Benue too,tiv too,good 2 meet u here

1 Like

Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by ShaddyTerese(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2014
HAPPY READING.
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by seyitanhep: 11:21am On Oct 27, 2014
I feel like reading more
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 27, 2014
verbose
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by lukunini(m): 6:02am On Oct 28, 2014
Mtchwwww. Wise up
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by fictionguy14: 6:15am On Oct 28, 2014
I just started a nigerian fiction magazine and i am looking for people to send in stories. share your story at naijapulpmag..com

1 Like

Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by ShaddyTerese(m): 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
lukunini:
Mtchwwww. Wise up
Can you say something more constructive so that I can take the correction you are offering me?
Re: The Things We Do For Love(fiction). by ShaddyTerese(m): 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
hopelink1:
verbose
How so sir?

(1) (Reply)

♍Ɣ Best Restaurant / Hurray! Today Is World Book Day / Chrissy's Tales: The Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.