Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:56 AM

Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? (9056 Views)

How To Debate Or Argue With An Athiest / I Am Proudly An Athiest, Are You? , Let's Meet Here / HELP!..,...I Don't Want To Become An Athiest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by ELLYsian: 10:21am On Oct 29, 2014
Atheism does not make sense.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by urcutecrush(f): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2014
voltron:

It takes a mile with him a journey you will complete in 2 steps.. do you really want to go that far?
Is this by any chance lastmessanger second account?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by urcutecrush(f): 10:26am On Oct 29, 2014
ELLYsian:
Atheism does not make sense.
Religion is totally rubbish

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Oduduwaboy(m): 10:43am On Oct 29, 2014
I got to see the light of reason after having lived in the darkness of religion ( pentecostal christianity).

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:

Is this by any chance lastmessanger second account?

hardly.. if it was then surely you must admire the effort it took to manage 2 accounts with qualitative postings.. grin grin grin my last post had a generous sprinkle of sarcasm.. meaning you are better off saving your effort for more serious threads
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by urcutecrush(f): 11:21am On Oct 29, 2014
voltron:

hardly.. if it was then surely you must admire the effort it took to manage 2 accounts with qualitative postings.. grin grin grin my last post had a generous sprinkle of sarcasm.. meaning you are better off saving your effort for more serious threads
Mine also had a tone of sarcasm u dint get.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by qstar(m): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

Gog in his dealings with humans introduced perfection over a period of time.morality does not evolve in the eyes of God but for us us humans, He deals with us based on the level of our development( in terms of the acquisition of spiritual knowledge and wisdom).He may have allowed some things to happen in the past but that does not mean that He put a stamp of approval on them.

Do you believe that God(Yahweh) fought for the Israelites, the same way God(Allah) is fighting for Boko Haram?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:

Mine also had a tone of sarcasm u dint get.
wink
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by frank317: 11:55am On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

Please when you talk about slavery as you find it in the bible. Do you at all put in picture the timing of the events.slaves trade or slavery as at that time was a normal thing and that was just how the world goes.
The authorities at that time never saw slavery as a bad thing unlike now that the concept I slaves had been declares as an evil thing.
But I still want to know why you or how you turned athiest.

lol... you guys, when it comes to something you perceive as evil, you quickly delete God and blame it on man. but when its something good, ohhhh it is God. You guys make it sound like man is not capable of doing good without God.

if slave trade was normal at that time, where does your God come in? slavery is bad and your God did nothing about it. would your God have been silent about it if we consider it normal.

is your God following human rule or his rules. its funny he was more interested in sexual immoralities than slavery.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by frank317: 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

Really? your conscience automatically teach you good morals without some religious undertone.Please is there any place that your conscience refers to in supporting your moral life style or does the morality just pop up fr nowhere and guide your daily living.
Meanwhile do you have any other special reason for abandoning the idea of God?

this is funny... when someone slaps you or cheats you out, do you have to run to your bible to check if what the person did to you was condemned before deciding to be hurt?

Oga.. good moral is simply deciding not to hurt others or do something bad because you know if its done to you it will hurt you.

stop acting like your brain has been sold out to slavery.

6 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
frank317:

this is funny... when someone slaps you or cheats you out, do you have to run to your bible to check if what the person did to you was condemned before deciding to be hurt?

Oga.. good moral is simply deciding not to hurt others or do something bad because you know if its done to you it will hurt you.

My brain is not sold out to any slavery. Am only saying that you have to learn morality. Morality is not a human gift. Only religion teach you what is bad.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Liveair: 4:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
frank317:

This post is LEGEND!
AWESOME!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by plaetton: 4:31pm On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

My brain is not sold out to any slavery. Am only saying that you have to learn morality. Morality is not a human gift. Only religion teach you what is bad.

Who teaches you to love and protect your young?
Religion?
If you cannot do good without the invisible whip of skydaddy hanging over your head, then perhaps we might be inclined to conclude that religious beliefs are only good for people who are natural sociopaths.
Do you agree?

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

Please when you talk about slavery as you find it in the bible. Do you at all put in picture the timing of the events.slaves trade or slavery as at that time was a normal thing and that was just how the world goes.
The authorities at that time never saw slavery as a bad thing unlike now that the concept I slaves had been declares as an evil thing.
But I still want to know why you or how you turned athiest.

Give me a break! Slavery is bad at any time-now, before or in the future and God is supposed to know better. God even suggested the condition under which you can sell your daughter. See Exodus 21:7. We are not talking about authorities, we are talking about Yahweh and his son. They are supposed to be loving and abhor injustice.

You initially claimed God did not support slavery until I showed you the biblical evidence. Now you want to justify it or make excuses for why it was done previously. There is no reason for a fellow human being to be enslaved at any time.

You are an atheist but you just don't want to admit it or perhaps you don't know it. Because you are a Christian, you are atheistic towards Allah, Ogun, sango, Zeus, Ogwugwu, Amadioha, Hindu Gods and a million other Gods. If you die and it turns out that one of these is the real God and not Yahweh, you will be dealt with as an atheist because you did not believe in God.

You and atheists are the same except that atheists believe in one less God than you. If you understand why you dismiss over a million other Gods, you would understand why atheists dismiss yours.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Weah96: 10:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
lastmessenger:

Wow you needed a prove to believe and it never came then off you go to athiesm.

HAHAHA. Dude, you're funny. So what happened to the proof?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 10:21pm On Oct 29, 2014
Weah96:

HAHAHA. Dude, you're funny. So what happened to the proof?
Only you can tell bro
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 12:35am On Oct 30, 2014
there is a God and he is real people need to understand that
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Weah96: 1:11am On Oct 30, 2014
oiu123:
there is a God and he is real people need to understand that

I know. There is a God and Mohammed was his prophet.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by igbo2011(m): 4:10am On Oct 30, 2014
Religion is the opium for the masses-Karl Marx

Once you study history and how Africans received religions and how we are the originators of religion then you just can't believe it anymore. I was raised a Christian but due to a lot of reading and studying I left it.

Religion is used to control the masses. Right now I am agnostic/ spiritual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWX53mMWapg

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 4:26am On Oct 30, 2014
The bible says that all things were created by God invisible or invisible nothing just happened by chance.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Sunymoore(m): 6:00am On Oct 30, 2014
how is the Bible an authentic source?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by frank317: 6:57am On Oct 30, 2014
oiu123:
The bible says that all things were created by God invisible or invisible nothing just happened by chance.

The bible said what? The Bible didn't write itself bro, and I dont think your God is a writer
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 30, 2014
oiu123:

The bible says, not everything is meant to be taken literally.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by plaetton: 3:32pm On Oct 30, 2014
oiu123:

The bible also said that rainbows were a sign of god's promise, or something like that.
The bible also talks about unicorns, talking snakes and talking donkeys.
So, if you believe what the bibles says about creation, then you also have to believe in unicorns.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by plaetton: 3:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
Martian:

The bible says, not everything is meant to be taken literally.

Yeah, in the same way that Martian should not be taking Bill O'Reilly and Faux News literally.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by johnydon22(m): 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2014
you do not need religion to be moral, if you cannot tell between right and wrong, then you lack empathy not religion.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
lastmessenger:
Atheism in my own opinion is not really am African thing. I am Saying this because our forefathers worshipped one deity or the other.
But the growing number of people claiming to not have a believe in the existence of God or a god is alarming which made me want to ask why it is happening.

I also believe that in the present Nigeria of today, there is no family that can be termed an athiest family. Every person who claims to be athiest where actually born into a home that had a belief in God or a god( this is an assumption )

So something must have happened to you that made you decide to abandon the idea of God.please let all the athiest share with us.

N/B. I am a christain
Well, Christianity isn't an African thing either. For me, I can't say I chose to become an atheist. In fact, I wanted to remain a Christian and deep down I wanted to believe in god. You know, the idea of a loving super father who cares for you is a very soothing one, especially in this part of the world. But in my everyday life, I found stark contradictions between reality and what the Bible and the church said. Praying was tantamount to talking to the air. No evidence of a god in our lives. No god anywhere around us. I became really distraught and confused. I wanted to believe in god but reality stared me in the eye. I eventually became an atheist after an intense struggle.

Atheism for me is a consequence of the compendium of all my life experiences, observations, thoughts, etc. Several of which were determined by forces beyond me. I never planned or chose how my life would play out. In fact, a few years ago I couldn't even understand how anyone could be an atheist. I'd read books that recounted stories of famous "atheists" that attempted to repent while on their death beds. And they were all said to have gone to hell. I remember some books that referred to Robert Ingersoll as a very "wicked" man. I even opened a thread asking atheists what they'd do in the face of death.The responses I got amazed me. Plaetton said something about me not understanding what it meant to be an atheist and a host of other things. Truly, I didn't understand then but now I perfectly do. I don't know how to make long, elaborate and sophisticated arguments like several chiefs on here but I do know now what it means to be an atheist. I faced what seemed like certain death recently and even though thoughts of "repenting" before dying crossed my mind( no thanks to my former hyper religious life), I brushed it off while awaiting death. That would have been unthinkable and impossible a few years back.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 11:55pm On Oct 31, 2014
lastmessenger:
Atheism in my own opinion is not really am African thing. I am Saying this because our forefathers worshipped one deity or the other.
But the growing number of people claiming to not have a believe in the existence of God or a god is alarming which made me want to ask why it is happening.

I also believe that in the present Nigeria of today, there is no family that can be termed an athiest family. Every person who claims to be athiest where actually born into a home that had a belief in God or a god( this is an assumption )

So something must have happened to you that made you decide to abandon the idea of God.please let all the athiest share with us.

N/B. I am a christian

I believe everyone has their subjective realities (mini universes), and within mine, God does not exist.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 11:57pm On Oct 31, 2014
Beretta92:
Well, Christianity isn't an African thing either. For me, I can't say I chose to become an atheist. In fact, I wanted to remain a Christian and deep down I wanted to believe in god. You know, the idea of a loving super father who cares for you is a very soothing one, especially in this part of the world. But in my everyday life, I found stark contradictions between reality and what the Bible and the church said. Praying was tantamount to talking to the air. No evidence of a god in our lives. No god anywhere around us. I became really distraught and confused. I wanted to believe in god but reality stared me in the eye. I eventually became an atheist after an intense struggle.

Atheism for me is a consequence of the compendium of all my life experiences, observations, thoughts, etc. Several of which were determined by forces beyond me. I never planned or chose how my life would play out. In fact, a few years ago I couldn't even understand how anyone could be an atheist. I'd read books that recounted stories of famous "atheists" that attempted to repent while on their death beds. And they were all said to have gone to hell. I remember some books that referred to Robert Ingersoll as a very "wicked" man. I even opened a thread asking atheists what they'd do in the face of death.The responses I got amazed me. Plaetton said something about me not understanding what it meant to be an atheist and a host of other things. Truly, I didn't understand then but now I perfectly do. I don't know how to make long, elaborate and sophisticated arguments like several chiefs on here but I do know now what it means to be an atheist. I faced what seemed like certain death recently and even though thoughts of "repenting" before dying crossed my mind( no thanks to my former hyper religious life), I brushed it off while awaiting death. That would have been unthinkable and impossible a few years back.
Well I am not saying that am sure this will happen but I think you will be back to christainity. From what you just wrote, it seem you were actually looking for something beyond what we hear everyday but since then you have not found that.
God will somehow come to you even if it means the same way he came to Paul.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 11:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
Kay17:

I believe everyone has their subjective realities (mini universes), and within mine, God does not exist.
Yea that's for you but to me He does exist.
Meanwhile if don't mind I would want to know why you choose the part of atheism.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 1:01am On Nov 01, 2014
lastmessenger:

Yea that's for you but to me He does exist.
Meanwhile if don't mind I would want to know why you choose the part of atheism.

Didn't you read.my previous post?!
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 01, 2014
lastmessenger:

Well I am not saying that am sure this will happen but I think you will be back to christainity. From what you just wrote, it seem you were actually looking for something beyond what we hear everyday but since then you have not found that.
God will somehow come to you even if it means the same way he came to Paul.
If I ever believe in god again, it would never be the Christian god or any personal/anthropomorphic god for that matter. Such gods don't exist.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors / I Have Never Fallen Under The Anointing- Why? / You Will Get There

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.