Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,678 members, 7,882,306 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:18 PM

Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 (5925 Views)

Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? / What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 by davidsmith8900: 9:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
There is a lot happening in the tech industry, with the advent of smartphones and every increasing numbers of people using it, the developers are in very much demand.

If you are a student and you are wondering which programming language you must choose to make an carrier then you must really have a check on whats in demand in the market. But you must make a choice on what YOU like and yes its more important.

Below is the list of 15 top Programming languages to learn in 2014-15, we believe that all these languages are very much in demand and always will be,

1. Java Programming Language

Any doubts? In the past few years Java has once again grabbed the top position in the charts of THE LANGUAGE to learn, thanks to Android Operating systems the demand of Java in market has grown largely over time.

Why one should learn Java ?

Java is used almost everywhere, your phones, washing machines ,Tv's, Banks, ATMs, Vending machines , Gaming Consoles, Games, you name it and it has it!

Some of the Java Technologies and its usage,

JSP : To make dynamic websites.

Java Applets : Programs that run on web browsers.

Java Swing/JavaFx : To make desktop applications.

J2EE : To make Enterprise level applications.

J2ME : To make applications for Mobile phones.

Android Development : To make applications for Smart phones, Tablets, Watches and TVs

What makes Java so powerful?

Java is an Object-Oriented Language, and has very few implementation dependencies. Its "Write once, run anywhere", i.e. you only need to compile the code once and the complied code is independent of the system on which you run it (e.g, Compile on Windows and run on linux or Mac OS X). Its Open Sourced (OpenJDK). There are lots of API's and online forums available in the market which make it more demanding.

2. C Language

Many will agree with this, C language is one of the oldest language yet the first language that people learn when they start learning programming. Why to learn C language?

C language is a general-purpose programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie in the 1970's and is the most widely used programming language till date. Most of the languages developed later on in many ways have intreated from C languages , to name a few, C++, Java, JavaScript, Limbo, LPC, C#, Objective-C, Perl, PHP, Python and C Shell Scripting. So knowing C makes your foundations strong, thus learning other languages becomes easy.

What makes C so powerful?

Some features, 1. Portable

2. Easy to learn

3. Its fast compared to other languages.

4. Its free

5. Its been there and famous for past 40+ years.

C is a procedural language, and almost all low level coding is done using C. C is still the first choice in System level programming. Operating Systems, Embedded systems, Hardware Drivers are programmed in C.

3. JavaScript

Yes, since past few years JavaScript has been i demand then most other languages. Thanks to web 2.0 and js libraries like jQuery, Node js, Angular js and all other libraries. JavaScript is no more a client side scripting language anymore , it works both at server as well as client end (read about Node.js).

4. C++

Pronounced as C plus plus, general purpose programming language based on OOPs concepts, it is a super set of C programming languages. Its the most powerful programming language and most part of the operating systems that we use are written using this language ( to name a few Windows, Mac OS X and Linux make use of C++ libraries). It is the first choice for writing low level programming.

5. PHP

Its stands for Hypertext Preprocessor, is the most widely used server side scripting language for making dynamic websites.

Why learn Php?

HP has been installed on over 250 million websites and over 2.1 million webservers.

Nearly 80% of websites with server side scripting are built using PHP.

Its Free (Open sourced)

Very Easy to learn

Better Support (documentation and forums).

Cross-Platform compatibility.

Powerful, Scalable and Quick.

Easy to deploy.

Lots of Frameworks : Zend, Silex, Symfony, Aiki and many more...

Lots of Hosting options and at reasonable price.

Who all use PHP

Facebook

Twitter

Flickr

Apple

Wikipedia

most of the Blogs ...

6. Python

Python is a general-purpose, high-level programming language. The code of this language is very easy to read and one only requires few lines of codes to do a particular thing compared to other languages.

Why learn Python?

There is a huge demand for this language in the market, over the time the demand for Python has grown exponentially. Companies like Google, Yahoo! and IBM use Python. So there is a lot of money that you can make if you know Python.

7. Objective C

Objective C is THE language if you want to develop applications for the Apple Mac OS X or apps for iPhones, iPads and the iPods. It is a very powerful language and is been in much demand since the launch of the iPhone back in year 2007.

Why to learn Objective C?

If you dream to make apps for the iOS devices then you have to learn this language. There is a lot of money that you can make by developing apps for the Mac and the iOS platforms. iOS developers are highly paid as compared to other mobile platform developers.

Update :

Since XCode6 Apple has come up with a new programming language for the Cocoa and Cocoa touch platform called as Swift. This language is much each to learn as compared to Objective-C (something similar to javaScript).

So Swift programming will surely be in much demand in the year 2015 and as its new its the right time to learn and excel.

8. C#

Pronounced as C-Sharp is THE programming language if you work with Microsoft technologies like .Net, ASP.Net. It is an object-oriented programming language. If you know C or C++ then learning C# becomes much easy. There is a high demand for developers working on Windows platform.If you plan to make applications of Windows Operating systems you need to know this languages. Windows Mobile apps make use of C# too.

9. SQL

Structured Query Language (SQL) is the language for relational databases. Be it Java, PHP, Python, C , C++ , C# or any other programming language you need to know SQL if you work with Databases like , mySQL, Oracle , DB2, SQLite, Microsoft SQL server.

10. Ruby on Rails

It is becoming the first choice of Startup companies, as it most suited for rapid web development (compared to languages like Java or .Net)

11. Perl

12. Shell

13. ASP.Net

14. Assembly

15. R Programming Language

Original Post - http://code2care.org/pages/top-15-programming-languages-to-learn-2014-2015/
Re: Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 by Sethuncahier(m): 12:48am On Oct 30, 2014
Wow! A good list there! I did prefer JAVA, PHP and PYTHON.
Re: Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 by babatope88(m): 6:56am On Oct 30, 2014
Ruby on Rail? It should be Ruby.
Re: Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 30, 2014
@op,
More elbow to your Grease More Grease to your Elbow.
Re: Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 by Skykid1208(m): 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:
There is a lot happening in the tech industry, with the advent of smartphones and every increasing numbers of people using it, the developers are in very much demand.

If you are a student and you are wondering which programming language you must choose to make an carrier then you must really have a check on whats in demand in the market. But you must make a choice on what YOU like and yes its more important.

Below is the list of 15 top Programming languages to learn in 2014-15, we believe that all these languages are very much in demand and always will be,

1. Java Programming Language

Any doubts? In the past few years Java has once again grabbed the top position in the charts of THE LANGUAGE to learn, thanks to Android Operating systems the demand of Java in market has grown largely over time.

Why one should learn Java ?

Java is used almost everywhere, your phones, washing machines ,Tv's, Banks, ATMs, Vending machines , Gaming Consoles, Games, you name it and it has it!

Some of the Java Technologies and its usage,

JSP : To make dynamic websites.

Java Applets : Programs that run on web browsers.

Java Swing/JavaFx : To make desktop applications.

J2EE : To make Enterprise level applications.

J2ME : To make applications for Mobile phones.

Android Development : To make applications for Smart phones, Tablets, Watches and TVs

What makes Java so powerful?

Java is an Object-Oriented Language, and has very few implementation dependencies. Its "Write once, run anywhere", i.e. you only need to compile the code once and the complied code is independent of the system on which you run it (e.g, Compile on Windows and run on linux or Mac OS X). Its Open Sourced (OpenJDK). There are lots of API's and online forums available in the market which make it more demanding.

2. C Language

Many will agree with this, C language is one of the oldest language yet the first language that people learn when they start learning programming. Why to learn C language?

C language is a general-purpose programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie in the 1970's and is the most widely used programming language till date. Most of the languages developed later on in many ways have intreated from C languages , to name a few, C++, Java, JavaScript, Limbo, LPC, C#, Objective-C, Perl, PHP, Python and C Shell Scripting. So knowing C makes your foundations strong, thus learning other languages becomes easy.

What makes C so powerful?

Some features, 1. Portable

2. Easy to learn

3. Its fast compared to other languages.

4. Its free

5. Its been there and famous for past 40+ years.

C is a procedural language, and almost all low level coding is done using C. C is still the first choice in System level programming. Operating Systems, Embedded systems, Hardware Drivers are programmed in C.

3. JavaScript

Yes, since past few years JavaScript has been i demand then most other languages. Thanks to web 2.0 and js libraries like jQuery, Node js, Angular js and all other libraries. JavaScript is no more a client side scripting language anymore , it works both at server as well as client end (read about Node.js).

4. C++

Pronounced as C plus plus, general purpose programming language based on OOPs concepts, it is a super set of C programming languages. Its the most powerful programming language and most part of the operating systems that we use are written using this language ( to name a few Windows, Mac OS X and Linux make use of C++ libraries). It is the first choice for writing low level programming.

5. PHP

Its stands for Hypertext Preprocessor, is the most widely used server side scripting language for making dynamic websites.

Why learn Php?

HP has been installed on over 250 million websites and over 2.1 million webservers.

Nearly 80% of websites with server side scripting are built using PHP.

Its Free (Open sourced)

Very Easy to learn

Better Support (documentation and forums).

Cross-Platform compatibility.

Powerful, Scalable and Quick.

Easy to deploy.

Lots of Frameworks : Zend, Silex, Symfony, Aiki and many more...

Lots of Hosting options and at reasonable price.

Who all use PHP

Facebook

Twitter

Flickr

Apple

Wikipedia

most of the Blogs ...

6. Python

Python is a general-purpose, high-level programming language. The code of this language is very easy to read and one only requires few lines of codes to do a particular thing compared to other languages.

Why learn Python?

There is a huge demand for this language in the market, over the time the demand for Python has grown exponentially. Companies like Google, Yahoo! and IBM use Python. So there is a lot of money that you can make if you know Python.

7. Objective C

Objective C is THE language if you want to develop applications for the Apple Mac OS X or apps for iPhones, iPads and the iPods. It is a very powerful language and is been in much demand since the launch of the iPhone back in year 2007.

Why to learn Objective C?

If you dream to make apps for the iOS devices then you have to learn this language. There is a lot of money that you can make by developing apps for the Mac and the iOS platforms. iOS developers are highly paid as compared to other mobile platform developers.

Update :

Since XCode6 Apple has come up with a new programming language for the Cocoa and Cocoa touch platform called as Swift. This language is much each to learn as compared to Objective-C (something similar to javaScript).

So Swift programming will surely be in much demand in the year 2015 and as its new its the right time to learn and excel.

8. C#

Pronounced as C-Sharp is THE programming language if you work with Microsoft technologies like .Net, ASP.Net. It is an object-oriented programming language. If you know C or C++ then learning C# becomes much easy. There is a high demand for developers working on Windows platform.If you plan to make applications of Windows Operating systems you need to know this languages. Windows Mobile apps make use of C# too.

9. SQL

Structured Query Language (SQL) is the language for relational databases. Be it Java, PHP, Python, C , C++ , C# or any other programming language you need to know SQL if you work with Databases like , mySQL, Oracle , DB2, SQLite, Microsoft SQL server.

10. Ruby on Rails

It is becoming the first choice of Startup companies, as it most suited for rapid web development (compared to languages like Java or .Net)

11. Perl

12. Shell

13. ASP.Net

14. Assembly

15. R Programming Language

Original Post - http://code2care.org/pages/top-15-programming-languages-to-learn-2014-2015/

wow!!!!!grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
i just changed my course to mathematical science,but i heard that when i get to 300 level i can den move to com. sci. according to the schools curriculum
anyways i have been trying to learn java programing language since we are going to resume by January

and 1st (pls i would like to know if i am doing the right thing by learning java programing language even though am not yet in school, its just that i have a passion for programing but i hope it would not disturb my studies when i get to school cos it seems am getting addicted to (1) the net (2) operating my either my phone or pc too much )

and 2ndly
which programing language would you advice me to learn if it is right for me to learn programing as a fresher in the university

(1) (Reply)

Free C++ Reliable UDP Networking Library / Video Maker Fx Password And Username / Vb.net Calculator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.