Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,094 members, 7,949,772 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 06:38 PM

Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? (1635 Views)

How Does The Name Tokunbo And Okirika Aka "OK" Originated? / Ok. Whats With African Women And Tribal Marks? / Is It Ok To Serve Only Foreign Food In Nigerian Weddings In America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? by ebbymayox(m): 10:14pm On Oct 29, 2014
We all seem to use the word “OK” a lot both in speech and in writing. Although, many have abused it. Please, its not “k” or the more annoying “kk” (which a lot of these folks don’t realize stands for “kuli-kuli” smiley), its plain ol’ “ok”. I wonder how “ok” became “kk” . Ok sha.
You see, “OK” can be spelled “okay”, “ok”, or “O.K.”, ok? Not “k”, or “kk”, ok??
Throughout this piece I shall spell it anyhow I choose, its my piece not yours.
Ok is a word denoting approval, acceptance, agreement, assent, or acknowledgment and `I bet you already knew all that. But wait, you probably didn’t know that this “OK” is likely to have originated from Africa. Yes, we formed it at the time humongous yam tubers were forming. Ok, let me gist you.

A West African etymology has been argued in scholarly sources, tracing the word back to the Wolof and Bantu word “waw-kay” or the Mande phrase “o ke”.
But what about the Yoruba, “hoke”? Hehehee!Well, you didn’t know all that right? It’s Ok, thank me later.

A certain David Dalby first made the claim that the particle “OK” (particle ke?) could have African origins in the 1969 Hans Wolff Memorial Lecture. His argument was reprinted in various newspaper articles between 1969 and 1971. This suggestion has also been mentioned more recently by one Joseph Holloway, who argued in the 1993 book The African Heritage of American English that various West African languages have near-homophone discourse markers with meanings such as “yes indeed” or which serve as part of the back-channeling repertoire. One Frederic Cassidy guy like that challenged Dalby’s claims, asserting that there is no documentary evidence that any of these African-language words had any causal link with its use in the American press. Ehen, ok na! There’s always that one guy that will just come and do over sabi.

The West African hypothesis had not been accepted by 1981 by any etymologists (imagine! ok o), but nevertheless has since appeared in scholarly sources published by linguists and non-linguists alike. Ok, better.
There’s a verifiable written attestation of the particle ‘kay’ from a North Carolina slave who didn’t want to be flogged by a European visiting America in 1784:

“Kay, massa, you just leave me, me sit here, great fish jump up into da canoe, here he be, massa, fine fish, massa; me den very grad; den me sit very still, until another great fish jump into de canoe;…”
Eeyaa, i don laff die. The guy tried, spoke better than many of our graduates today. Ok, I’m tired. Let me stop here right? Ok, thanks.

Oh, by the way, I just copied all this from Wiki and pasted it here, is that OK too?

Read the next article-Why Begging is Profitable http://www.tlkdrum.com/begging-is-good-businessprofessional-beggars/
Re: Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? by tpia6: 12:50am On Oct 30, 2014
Re: Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? by tpia6: 12:52am On Oct 30, 2014
op dont forget blokos, whats the etymology of that.
Re: Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? by Descartes: 10:58am On Oct 30, 2014
K wink

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Eye Service? / Meet The Imo State King Who Is Flanked By Four Pretty With Bare Breasts (photos) / Egungun Festiva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.