Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,534 members, 7,921,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 04:20 PM

Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving (5577 Views)

Various Ghanaian Dishes / Pictures Of Nigerian Dishes / Your Favourite Nigerian Dishes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 6:27pm On Nov 18, 2008
This year is our first Thanksgiving and I have no idea what to cook.

I know one dish will be his favorite dish - Vegtable soup with pounded yam

but i need other ideas, please help me make a great menu.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2008
Oh and yea his favorite pie - Cherry
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by iyawo1005(f): 8:55pm On Nov 18, 2008
Jollof Rice
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by lucabrasi(m): 1:20am On Nov 19, 2008
fresh fish pepper soup as appetizer smiley

1 Like

Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by SeanT21(f): 3:16am On Nov 19, 2008
Jollof Rice,Turkey,Nigerian Flavored drinks, and more!!
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2008
Thanks everyone.

Keep the ideas coming.

lucabrasi:

fresh fish pepper soup as appetizer smiley

This one sounds really good, you think a nice Tilapia?

SeanT21:

Jollof Rice,Turkey,Nigerian Flavored drinks, and more!!

What are some of the Nigerian flavored drinks that i can get here in the States?
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by SeanT21(f): 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2008
sistawoman:

Thanks everyone.

Keep the ideas coming.

This one sounds really good, you think a nice Tilapia?

What are some of the Nigerian flavored drinks that i can get here in the States?

Go and look in some african restaurents.There are many in Maryland!!
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by H2O2: 11:55pm On Nov 19, 2008
sistawoman:

that ons is no problem.

we have limca, tonic water, schweppes, ginger ale, mirinda

then there's maltina, malta guinness and co

and if you want the mu'kun le
we have guilder, star, guinness, harp
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by AmakaOne(f): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2008
sistawoman, are you having people over for thanksgiving or is it just your family?

Do your kids eat Naija food?
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by clemcykul(f): 3:39pm On Nov 20, 2008
make kunu and zobo drink for ur hubby and he will be amazed
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 10:15pm On Nov 20, 2008
AMAKAONE:

sistawoman, are you having people over for thanksgiving or is it just your family?

Do your kids eat Naija food?

It is just our family, his children and mine. Yes my children love Naija food. Hubby was shocked the first time they tried it and loved it. I tried to tell him I have children that dont turn their noise up at anything until they have tried it. My children are always open to trying somthing new and eat alot of foods thier other peers would not go near.

clemcykul:

make kunu and zobo drink for ur hubby and he will be amazed

How do i make this? I would love to surprise him.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by macro: 10:35pm On Nov 20, 2008
sistawoman, can you help me with meatloaf and stuffing recipe from scratch? not store made?
thank you.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by KarmaMod(f): 10:39pm On Nov 20, 2008
lol everything in the world is added to moaloaf

cornflakes sef, people add am
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by milknhoney(f): 10:44pm On Nov 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

lol everything in the world is added to moaloaf

cornflakes sef, people add am
Same with those nasty hot dogs.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by KarmaMod(f): 11:13pm On Nov 20, 2008
don't eat hotdogs or bologna, never will angry

all the parts that normal people throw out are used to make those things which is why they're so cheap. Ugh

Homemade meatloaf is cool though
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by spikedcylinder: 10:25am On Nov 21, 2008
H2O2:

and if you want the mu'kun le
we have guilder, star, guinness, harp

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by SeanT21(f): 12:29am On Nov 22, 2008
macro:

sistawoman, can you help me with meatloaf and stuffing recipe from scratch? not store made?
thank you.

I do not know how to cook meatloafs but CHECK THE INTERNET FOR RECIPES!!
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 12:48am On Nov 22, 2008
Hit me up on yahoo and i will help you out. If you prefer i put it here i will more than happy
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by macro: 2:02am On Nov 22, 2008
SeanT21, i know i can get it on the internet but that is not what am looking for, thank you.

sistawoman, thank you. . . i will contact you on a one to one basis smiley soon.

i once ate stuffing made by an african america woman, it was so delicious. i am yet to taste such again.

for your own, you can buy malta goya drink.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by SeanT21(f): 3:56am On Nov 22, 2008
macro:

SeanT21, i know i can get it on the internet but that is not what am looking for, thank you.

sistawoman, thank you. . . i will contact you on a one to one basis smiley soon.

i once ate stuffing made by an african america woman, it was so delicious. i am yet to taste such again.

for your own, you can buy malta goya drink.

NO PROBLEM!!
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by luckyme9(f): 1:01pm On Nov 22, 2008
Hey sister, Check this out, First of all bake your turkey a little different from the regular way. Split your turkey half way open from the neck down to the part where its already open, to where only the back bone is holding it together, or better still, split it in half if you can.
You will need this seasonings, Curry powder, white peper, sage, 1 tspn each and 2 tspn of chicken bullion or chicken base, 1/4 cup of oil or about 3oz. Then you'll need green, red, yellow and any hot peper of some sort. Onions and garlic on large size of these would be perfect for 10 to 15 pound turkey. Cut they of in big wegdes like half the size of a nomal potato wedges. Add all the dry seasonings including garlic into the oil, and rub it all over the turkey inside out. Now pretend you are stuffing the turkey with all the pepers and onions, lay it on your baking pan with chest down, you can cover it for the first half and leave it open for the remainder. It usualy cooks less than the normal time. Most Nigerian men like spicy food, and you can never go wrong with this style. Add home made smashed potato and gravy, cornbread dressing, not the regular dressing in the box, its a little too spiced up for nigerian flavor. Just tone it down with a little bit more water than reqires and add home made plane corn bread. A little fried rice on the side will realy complemet the flavor of the turkey. I For desert, try some home baked apple crisp with less sweet served hot with plain vanila ice cream, most nigerian men like icecream not necessarily sweets.
I you neend more help, or if this is not going to work for you, let me know, I will be more than glad to give you a different idea, trust me.

1 Like

Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by tpia: 6:16pm On Nov 22, 2008
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 7:19pm On Nov 24, 2008
My next question relates to serving:

For thanksgiving what we do is we place all the dishes on a table and each person moves down the line putting on thier plate.

How do i serve the pounded yam and vegatable soup?

How do i place the pounded yam out to be served so that it is easy to grab and proper precentable?

I hope this does not sound stupid.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2008
Can I use a filet talipa in my jollif rice?
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by Sauron1: 7:31pm On Nov 24, 2008
sistawoman:

Can I use a filet talipa in my jollif rice?

U can. . . . .and it's "jollof".
Don't forget to fry plantain too as one of the accessories. grin
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2008
sistawoman:

My next question relates to serving:

For thanksgiving what we do is we place all the dishes on a table and each person moves down the line putting on their plate.

How do i serve the pounded yam and vegatable soup?

How do i place the pounded yam out to be served so that it is easy to grab and proper precentable?

I hope this does not sound stupid.

Put the soup in a dish, and make little mounds from the pounded yam, then you wrap them in plastic wraps. People should serve themselves.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by Hauwa1: 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2008
fillet in jrice? ummm

make your pyam in s poy and put them in a large bowl. put soup in large bowl too. pass it as you would any meal. if your kids can't hold the serving bowl, help them out cheesy

or if get Glad for covering food.

now i will show you some other way i serve some long throat classmates smiley if you ask, ma'am.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2008
Another question:

I am trying to get the timing down for preparing my dishes as it looks like the menu has come together.  How soon before the completion of dinner should i prepare the pounded yam?  Also should I let the mound stay out covered by a towel until ____ then divide the mounds?

Menu:

Jollof rice with fish
veg. soup
pounded yam
fried plantains
mac & cheese
Turkey
Turkey Ham maybe
Rostisire Chicken
Greens
Black Eyed Peas
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Cherry Pie
If time premits a chocolate cake
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by Hauwa1: 4:29pm On Nov 25, 2008
poundo yam is easy to make (boil water and put in the poundo yam and mix like you do your mash potato) so being easy mean it should be the last to do.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2008
*Hauwa*:

poundo yam is easy to make (boil water and put in the poundo yam and mix like you do your mash potato) so being easy mean it should be the last to do.

I know it is very easy to do but I guess my question is when i prepare it at home we always eat right then and there and I dont want to be in the kitchen preparing the pounded yam as my guests arrive. Dinner is at 4 if i prepare the pounded yam at 3 will that be too long for it to sit?

Do i divide it at 3 or wait until 345?
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by Hauwa1: 10:22pm On Nov 25, 2008
ma'am, do the following.

Go to the store and get Glad lynon (the type you normally use to cover your food for  storage) NOTE: Not ziploc type or sealed type but the type with a sharp edge to cut it ok

now make your pyam at 3pm or 3:45pm.

cut out Glad and flat it out on a dish. use your eating dish to measure how wide the Glad should be.

cut a serving spoon of your already cooked poundo yam and put it on the Glad lynon

Wrap it. . . do the same for all the cooked poundo in your pot. you might get maybe 6 wraps

put all in a serving china or plastic bowl and cover. anyone who want poundo will take one and unwrap.

i hope you get me ?

the wrapped poundo will stay hot and soft for some hrs. but cook at 3pm to be served at 4pm is okay.
Re: Combining My Husbands Nigerian Dishes With American Thanksgiving by sistawoman: 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2008
Thanks everyone.

I will take pictures before I searve my meal tomorrow and be sure to post Thursday night or Friday.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Of Our Ladies Can Actually Cook Good/home Food? / What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' / Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.