Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,317 members, 7,920,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 08:53 PM

Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. (3040 Views)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 30, 2014
When I say a yoruba person, I mean a typical Yoruba person. I am a Yoruba man(not a typical one anyway) and I have noticed these pattern of beliefs among the typical ones.

1)If you don't greet them, automatically you are seen as a disrespectful person who lacks home training.

2)Whenever two people are having quarrel,the eldest among them is always considered right,no matter who is truly right, as long as one is older than the other,the eldest is the right one.

3)Getting married to someone outside your tribe is frowned upon and not easily acceptable. They believe people of other tribes are not good enough or that they have less perfect cultures than theirs.

4)Whenever a Yoruba person wants to make a decision, other people's opinion comes at the top of his consideration. If he trains his child,It's because of What other people will say,If he decides not to build a house,It's because of What people will say,If her children are "rude" she feels people are judging her outside. A Yoruba person constantly see others looking at them and judging them even If It's not So.

5)A Yoruba person believes that everybody must see you in a good light,even if they dont like someone,they have to act as if they like the person and must be polite even if you hate the person,its like an expectation that you must be polite and respectful to everyone,especially those of higher class than yours. A typical Yoruba person won't let you know he hates you even If he does.

6)A yoruba person is quick to put the blame of his problems on the devil, the Yoruba person is quick to see almost everything spiritually,even if It's a simple problem that can be solved practically.

7)A Yoruba person sees an introvert or a quiet person as arrogant. If you are a quiet and gentle type and you keep to yourself even If you haven't offended them, they would be quick to conclude that you are proud and full of yourself because you don't talk to them.

8 )Yoruba person doesn't like someone who says the truth at all times. Even though the Yoruba person propagate truth speaking,they don't like people who say the truth just the way they are,they rather like sugar coated half baked truth, that makes everybody feel Happy.

9)Yoruba person believes those who wear good clothes are fornicators and adulterers. Just wear a classy English wear and watch how quick a Yoruba man would call you "oniranu". A lot of their perception about someone is based on appearance.

10)Yoruba people are very superstitious, once they don't like a woman, she becomes a witch immediately even If they know she is a devout Christian, whatever misfortune that befalls them is blamed on the "witch".

11)Yoruba people believe in hearsay very quickly,even when no facts are presented, and they are also good at spreading such an information even if they only heard it from another person.

12)A yoruba man doesnt trust his relatives,especially if they are not from the same mother or father.

Watch and see how the typical Yoruba would insult me on this thread because I just said the truth without sugar coating,despite the fact that I am a Yoruba man. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2014
that's their culture. every tribe has their own culture and beliefs
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by tomsniel(m): 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
Not all you wrote are true but majority of them are spot on. That their way of life. That what makes them the Yorubas
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
Your assertions are much more true than false.

It's unfortunate how people wills to tailure their lives to the whims and caprices of others.

Live your life the way you want it.
Do whatever you wish without minding what this Uche or that Femi will say.
It's your life.

YOLO.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by write2obi(m): 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2014
Dapo777:
When I say a yoruba person, I mean a typical Yoruba person. I am a Yoruba man(not a typical one anyway) and I have noticed these pattern of beliefs among the typical ones.

1)If you don't greet them, automatically you are seen as a disrespectful person who lacks home training.

2)Whenever two people are having quarrel,the eldest among them is always considered right,no matter who is truly right, as long as one is older than the other,the eldest is the right one.

3)Getting married to someone outside your tribe is frowned upon and not easily acceptable. They believe people of other tribes are not good enough or that they have less perfect cultures than theirs.

4)Whenever a Yoruba person wants to make a decision, other people's opinion comes at the top of his consideration. If he trains his child,It's because of What other people will say,If he decides not to build a house,It's because of What people will say,If her children are "rude" she feels people are judging her outside. A Yoruba person constantly see others looking at them and judging them even If It's not So.

5)A Yoruba person believes that everybody must see you in a good light,even if they dont like someone,they have to act as if they like the person and must be polite even if you hate the person,its like an expectation that you must be polite and respectful to everyone,especially those of higher class than yours. A typical Yoruba person won't let you know he hates you even If he does.

6)A yoruba person is quick to put the blame of his problems on the devil, the Yoruba person is quick to see almost everything spiritually,even if It's a simple problem that can be solved practically.

7)A Yoruba person sees an introvert or a quiet person as arrogant. If you are a quiet and gentle type and you keep to yourself even If you haven't offended them, they would be quick to conclude that you are proud and full of yourself because you don't talk to them.

8 )Yoruba person doesn't like someone who says the truth at all times. Even though the Yoruba person propagate truth speaking,they don't like people who say the truth just the way they are,they rather like sugar coated half baked truth, that makes everybody feel Happy.

9)Yoruba person believes those who wear good clothes are fornicators and adulterers. Just wear a classy English wear and watch how quick a Yoruba man would call you "oniranu". A lot of their perception about someone is based on appearance.

10)Yoruba people are very superstitious, once they don't like a woman, she becomes a witch immediately even If they know she is a devout Christian, whatever misfortune that befalls them is blamed on the "witch".

11)Yoruba people believe in hearsay very quickly,even when no facts are presented, and they are also good at spreading such an information even if they only heard it from another person.

12)A yoruba man doesnt trust his relatives,especially if they are not from the same mother or father.

Watch and see how the typical Yoruba would insult me on this thread because I just said the truth without sugar coating,despite the fact that I am a Yoruba man. grin
Bar man! Get me 2 bottles of whatever the Op is having.
tenk smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Networkingprof: 3:57am On Oct 31, 2014
Watch and see how the typical Yoruba
would insult me on this thread because
I just said the truth without sugar
coating,despite the fact that I am a Yoruba man.
LOL. Guilty conscience. Your expectations from your readers shows the substance that your post is made of: What you sow you expect to reap na. Omo Ale eeyan nii fowo osi juwe ile baba re, omo Ale.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 31, 2014
Networkingprof:
LOL. Guilty conscience. Your expectations from your readers shows the substance that your post is made of: What you sow you expect to reap na. Omo Ale eeyan nii fowo osi juwe ile baba re, omo Ale.

Lmao, the first one showed up......

Still counting...... cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by 11Willywilly: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
I said it.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2014
That is what makes us Yoruba ... We are wise and intelligent , critics and we can easily change our opinion/deal because the voice of Ifa/loved-ones is mightier than whatever deal we brokered with ourselves !!

As for children upbringing .... A Yoruba theory states ''Oju-kan ni bimo, Igba-Oju niwoo'' .... Roughly translated as ''Only one person beget a child but multitude of people nurtures such child !!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:56pm On Nov 02, 2014
If you are quiet, they say you are arrogant.
That I know. First hand experience
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Paretomaster(m): 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2014
1. If u passed them 100 times, dey expect u to greet them 100 times.

2. Dey believe their use of words eg adage is d best.

3. Very superstitious, anything that happen to the is from d enemies.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by macof(m): 10:37am On Nov 05, 2014
I am Yoruba and none of what the OP stated is true
Believe the crazy liar at your own risk

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by GooseBaba: 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
But it's true na...a devout christians or muslim is an underground witch and wizards. Camouflage things. You let your guard down around them and they strike like vipers. Hehehe

Also, the greetings aspects is spot on. Mostly from the elderly ones. Especially if you are friends with someone that prostrate to greet them and if you do not prostrate you become someone that lacks home training. Regardless of your tribe.

But Dapo777 why you dey provoke for your people na.. grin grin?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2014
macof:
I am Yoruba and none of what the OP stated is true
Believe the crazy liar at your own risk

Hahahahahahaha So an atheist is a typical Yoruba to you?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by macof(m): 9:18pm On Nov 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Hahahahahahaha So an atheist is a typical Yoruba to you?
;
undecided I don't get
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2014
macof:

;
undecided I don't get

Don't worry It's a mistake. When is the next osun festival taking place,I Wld like to participate and probably experience this spiritual thing. grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Godmother(f): 11:28pm On Nov 05, 2014
OP

You forgot to add that a typical yoruba woman will help her friends keep malice with you if you have some problems with said friend.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by macof(m): 11:45pm On Nov 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Don't worry It's a mistake. When is the next osun festival taking place,I Wld like to participate and probably experience this spiritual thing. grin

next year August

It would be go for u to feel Osun if only jst once in ur life
trust me it's a wonderful feeling
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 05, 2014
macof:

next year August

It would be go for u to feel Osun if only jst once in ur life
trust me it's a wonderful feeling

Yes I will.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Nov 05, 2014
Godmother:
OP

You forgot to add that a typical yoruba woman will help her friends keep malice with you if you have some problems with said friend.

Lol That's true.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by cbrass(m): 1:19am On Nov 06, 2014
Dapo777, everything you posted here are things that happen in everu single tribe, so its not particular to the yorubas alone. But what shall it profit you to speak so I'll of your father land, what point are you hoping to score here, so if your father sleeps with a prostitue often will you still come here to say it? Or if your mother tells you that you are a product of a multiple rape will you still be glad to say it here? No you won't only if you are not yoruba which I strongly believe grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 06, 2014
cbrass:
Dapo777, everything you posted here are things that happen in everu single tribe, so its not particular to the yorubas alone. But what shall it profit you to speak so I'll of your father land, what point are you hoping to score here, so if your father sleeps with a prostitue often will you still come here to say it? Or if your mother tells you that you are a product of a multiple rape will you still be glad to say it here? No you won't only if you are not yoruba which I strongly believe grin
What If I revealed to u,I ra.ped ur mum to help ur impotent dad give birth to you? Or that you were adopted together with ur other siblings because ur parents can't give birth,What If I also told you that your pregnancy wasn't planned for by your mum and you were simply an accident?

How does that concern the matter of discussion here. If you are born a basta..rd or ur pregnancy was accidental or you were adopted, how does that concern us here,and why would anyone want to post something personal like that on a public forum?

Or does your "brain" interpret all I wrote above as something personal that shouldn't be shared? Hahahahahahaha, the way a typical Yoruba man thinks is laughable.

If you don't think like a black fowl,would ur chicken brain think I created a Yoruba name in January 2013 just to g against the Yoruba in October 2014,is that What your chicken brain could conclude.

^^^That's a typical Yoruba man up there,silly application of their senses. Intellectually lazy.

Remember I am referring to a typical Yoruba man,not a Yoruba man who happens to be born into Yoruba parents But doesn't behave like they do typically.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by 2prexios: 8:53am On Nov 06, 2014
^^This response shows that you are an alternate- example of what you mean, 'typical Yoruba'. Your op concerns the direct-examples from your worldview, of which you are sub~real. I am a typical Yoruba man, but not subjective to your sociology.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 06, 2014
2prexios:
^^This response shows that you are an alternate- example of what you mean, 'typical Yoruba'. Your op concerns the direct-examples from your worldview, of which you are sub~real. I am a typical Yoruba man, but not subjective to your sociology.

I have to speak their language for them to understand, a typical Yoruba man needs to add insult to pass across a message,So I have to use insult too before you and other typical yorubas can understand. cheesy wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by StarFlux: 2:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
Dapo777:

I have to speak their language for them to understand, a typical Yoruba man needs to add insult to pass across a message,So I have to use insult too before you and other typical yorubas can understand. cheesy wink
You're a very funny man, indeed.

Let's not take him seriously.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
StarFlux:
You're a very funny man, indeed.

Let's not take him seriously.
cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by 2prexios: 6:25am On Nov 07, 2014
Dapo777:

That is, leading by example. Sure, you have what you see in others in abundance. Then endless love (passion: love+hate) forced you to acknowledge it under a comfortable mask. If not, this wont be.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 07, 2014
2prexios:
That is, leading by example. Sure, you have what you see in others in abundance. Then endless love (passion: love+hate) forced you to acknowledge it under a comfortable mask. If not, this wont be.

So What's ur point now?

If you have Nothing reasonable to say must you comment?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by 2prexios: 8:31am On Nov 07, 2014
I have decided not to fetch you fresh issues.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Have These General Beliefs. by christopher123(m): 3:23pm On Nov 08, 2014
Whay the op said is 90% truth but not all but majority of them fall into the category especially 8 9 10 11

Another thing is insult...is it a norm in yoruba land...if u price good in market and dont buy the yoruba will call u alaroro

Then if u try to play wit them they call u agbaya

They curse their kids so much

(1) (Reply)

Accelerationism / What Does Sweet In The Middle Mean, In Reference To A Fat Person / Why Do South Africa Have Many Full White Europeans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.