Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,733 members, 7,882,509 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 07:26 AM

Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support (1665 Views)

I Tracked Down My Biological Father But He Raped Me(A True Life Story) / "Why Should I Pay Child Support For A Child I Didn't Want?" / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by pickabeau1: 2:22am On Nov 04, 2014
Detroit Man Is Not the Father, but Court Says He Owes $30,000 in Child Support 

Carnell Alexander didn’t father a child. The child’s mother and a paternity test both indicate that he isn’t the child’s father, yet a court is still demanding that Alexander pay some $30,000 in back child support.  

A Detroit man is facing a choice given him by the state of Michigan. The first option is to pay $30,000 in back child support for a child that is not his. His second option? Go to prison.
But wait, it gets worse. Everything and everyone involved in this story—including a paternity test, the child's mother and the court that has given Carnell Alexander the two options—recognize that the baby isn't his.

"I feel like I'm standing in front of a brick wall with nowhere to go," Alexander told Detroit news station WXYZ.
Alexander told the news station that he learned about a paternity case against him in the early '90s after a police officer called him a deadbeat dad during a traffic stop. The officer also informed him that there was a warrant out for his arrest for unpaid child support.
"I knew I didn't have a child, so I was kind of blown back," Alexander told the news station.

Alexander has been fighting since then to clear his name, with little success. Here is how the story unfolds: The state claims that in 1987 Alexander fathered a baby. The state also claims that it sent several notices to an address on file and that Alexander ignored those notices. Alexander says that he never got the notices because they were sent to an address where he no longer lived. When he heard about the child, he went to court.
"And when you were telling them in court—'That it was not my child'—they told me it was too late to get a DNA test," Alexander told the news station.

At the time, Alexander didn't know the location of the woman who claimed he was the father of the child, and with only sporadic work, lacking a full-time job, he had no money.
He eventually ran into a friend who knew where the woman was, and they got a DNA test. The test proved that Alexander had a 0.00 percent probability of being the child's father. According to the woman, the child's actual father was also in the child's life.

Story should end here, right?
Wrong.
Alexander took all this information to the court, but the judge was unfazed.
"Case closed. I gotta pay for the baby," Alexander told WXYZ.
According to news station, the court hinged its decision on a summons that was reportedly delivered to Alexander's father's house informing him about the paternity case. The process server for the court turned in a document claiming that Alexander was served a summons but refused to sign it.
"I wasn't there. I couldn't refuse to sign," Alexander told the news station.
WXYZ investigated Alexander's claims and found that on the day the server claimed he signed the document, Alexander was a guest of the Michigan Department of Corrections, serving time for a crime he committed as a young man.
So how did all this happen?

Well, years ago, the woman, Alexander's ex, had a baby. She didn't know who the father was, but she knew she needed help caring for the child. A caseworker told her that she had to name the father when she filed papers seeking government assistance.
"That was the only way I could get assistance," the woman, who didn't want to give her name, told the news station. She said she had no idea that the state would go after Alexander for child support.
"Everything is my fault that I put him through," she said.
She even asked to court to forgive his debt, and it did, but only the portion that was to be awarded to her. Alexander still owes around $30,000, according to WXYZ.
Alexander is refusing to pay and is being threatened with jail time.
"We know this is not my child, so let's do what we need to do, what's right," said Alexander.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/10/detroit_man_is_not_the_father_but_court_says_he_owes_30k_in_child_support.html

You can still be implicated by a woman to pay child support

Interesting
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by nzeaji(m): 2:25am On Nov 04, 2014
Dooh for him. undecided
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 2:28am On Nov 04, 2014
What can I say?
seems like it's a woman's world afterall angry
we men just dey suffer undecided
when would we ever win? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by crackhaus: 2:39am On Nov 04, 2014
These are the kind of laws some thieving, greedy, modern Nigerian women want to be introduced into our society - the kind that will see them making active plans to enjoy child support payments, instead of praying and working to have long-lasting marriages to the father of their kid(s).

What a sad reality!

3 Likes

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by beeevan: 4:10am On Nov 04, 2014
Praying and working till their knees and knuckles peels to their bones, i hear ya undecided.
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by bellong: 4:10am On Nov 04, 2014
alutacontinua:
What can I say?
seems like it's a woman's world afterall angry
we men just dey suffer undecided
when would we ever win? lipsrsealed

Maybe you should reconsider changing your gender before you enter one chance with a lady seeking for child support tongue.

The burden will be too much on you as a man.

2 Likes

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 04, 2014
bellong:

Maybe you should reconsider changing your gender before you enter one chance with a lady seeking for child support tongue.

The burden will be too much on you as a man.

I'm man enough to handle it tongue
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by bellong: 4:17am On Nov 04, 2014
alutacontinua:

I'm man enough to handle it tongue

Yes, like Alexander is man enough to cough out $30k.... tongue undecided .

You have an opportunity to change now. I can do the surgery for you free..
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Tallesty1(m): 6:16am On Nov 04, 2014
crackhaus:
These are the kind of laws some thieving, greedy, modern Nigerian women want to be introduced into our society - the kind that will see them making active plans to enjoy child support payments, instead of praying and working to have long-lasting marriages to the father of their kid(s).

What a sad reality!
I tell ya if that should be enacted you will read something like this in news headlines.

**** who divorced her 11th husband recently has found love again.

I thank God sha, cause no one can fvck a naija man like that.

2 Likes

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by cococandy(f): 6:26am On Nov 04, 2014
smiley smiley smiley kiss sweet
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by pickabeau1: 6:52am On Nov 04, 2014
Why do u think being implicated for a crime a man did not commit is sweet
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by cococandy(f): 7:20am On Nov 04, 2014
I'm evil. What do you care?
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 04, 2014
This is absolute rubbish, the judge must have been high on crack when he gave that judgement! Its not his child, why should he be compelled to paying child support? Even the mother is also against the idea, wtf?!
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 04, 2014
Here we are so concerned about laws in foreign land and how they handle their justice system while our own land , fathers are running away from their children, sowing seeds every where, even killing some of these kids and their mothers. Yet there is little or no law enforcement to check this.

Mtcheeeeeeewwwww

4 Likes

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by bukatyne(f): 7:43am On Nov 04, 2014
Mondisweets:
This is absolute rubbish, the judge must have been high on crack when he gave that judgement! Its not his child, why should he be compelled to paying child support? Even the mother is also against the idea, wtf?!

Maybe they think the man cannot defend himself undecided

NGOs should better pick up the case because him paying for a child that is not his is serious injustice.

The woman should be charged to court for defamation of the man's character & slander

I thought there is a saying that only a mother knows the father of her child?

Was this one f.uck.ing with her eyes closed?
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 04, 2014
bukatyne:

Maybe they think the man cannot defend himself undecided

NGOs should better pick up the case because him paying for a child that is not his is serious injustice.

The woman should be charged to court for defamation of the man's character & slander

I thought there is a saying that only a mother knows the father of her child?

Was this one f.uck.ing with her eyes closed?
she should be charged for fraud too. She lied about who the father of her child was, just to get a benefit. In fact whoever the judge was should be taken off the panel of judges completely, clearly he/she doesnt know his/her purpose.
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by bukatyne(f): 7:56am On Nov 04, 2014
Mondisweets:
she should be charged for fraud too. She lied about who the father of her child was, just to get a benefit. In fact whoever the judge was should be taken off the panel of judges completely, clearly he/she doesnt know his/her purpose.

Are you sure it's not the type of roforofo lawyers we graduate in our schools?

If the child's paternity was in doubt or the woman insisting that he fathered her child, I will understand. All indications show he is innocent so what is their P?
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 04, 2014
bukatyne:

Are you sure it's not the type of roforofo lawyers we graduate in our schools?

If the child's paternity was in doubt or the woman insisting that he fathered her child, I will understand. All indications show he is innocent so what is their P?
"our schools" are u in Michigan?

Like i already said he/she gave a very biased judgement and his/her competency as a judge must be questioned. As a judge you apply the law, you don't become the law.
Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by crackhaus: 9:11am On Nov 04, 2014
Tallesty1:
I tell ya if that should be enacted you will read something like this in news headlines.

**** who divorced her 11th husband recently has found love again.

I thank God sha, cause no one can fvck a naija man like that.
Lol...that right there is one of the reasons some of our dear Nigerian sistaz usually get worked up over issues of Nigerian men - they are stuck with us and they hate it, because the majority of Nigerian men don't take sh1t neither can they be easily walked over.

2 Likes

Re: Not The Father BUT Must Pay Child Support by bukatyne(f): 10:32am On Nov 04, 2014
Mondisweets:
"our schools" are u in Michigan?

Like i already said he/she gave a very biased judgement and his/her competency as a judge must be questioned. As a judge you apply the law, you don't become the law.

Our school in Nigeria o!

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin For A Married Woman To Be Using Contraceptives? / He Started Beating Me 4 Days After Paying My Dowry / Benefits, Risks Of Joint Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.