Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,138 members, 7,880,573 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:21 PM

Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax (12168 Views)

Poll: Shutting down the entire computer village indefinitely over tax issue:

I approve: 45% (67 votes)
I disapprove: 54% (81 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Lagos Computer Village Razed By Fire / About Computer Village,ikeja,lagos State.(largest I.T Market In Nigeria)pictures / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by mide1811: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2008
@damola
when i read what pple like u write, i feel sorry 4 d future, cos u r supposed 2 be a student bin trained 2 be a leader oneday & u go on talking abt tax issues like dis. ITS A SHAME!!!! Where do u tink money 4 all d gud tins pple like u ask from the govt come from? Tink u nid more education on the importance & significance of tax to the state/nation and also on the consequence of tax evation.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2008
ScanLess:

Let me tell y'all the harsh reality about taxation in Nigeria. It stinks !!!  angry, what with those in power embezziling all the money paid by hard working citizens without giving them electricity, good roads, water supply, . . . infact someone should please tell me what they ever use the little one that is paid to do? , buy guns for their thugs to harras innocent citizens. Tell you the truth , paying tax in Nigeria doesnt make sense to me. i have stayed in my house without electricity for about 2months now and NEPA brought bills for us the other day , we refused to pay !!. Infact i'm thinking of how to boycott NEPA cpmpletely.

Yes, you lived in your house without NEPA for two months. But during those two months you went out on the roads (perhaps bad, but they are roads nonetheless) and you had water. How do these come about if you do not pay taxes?

If you do not pay taxes then you are not entitled to anything. Simple as that.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by kentayo: 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2008
the truth of the matter is that Nigerians r generally sturborn. I am sure that they would have warn them abt this tax of a thing.

see na force hand Nigeria need abeg

FASHOLA MY MAN RIDE ON
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by chisomquee: 3:22pm On Nov 21, 2008
na wa for fashola,when my brothers are preparing for xmas sales,he locked their shops,pls he should open it,so my brothers can shine for this xmas.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ernal(m): 3:26pm On Nov 21, 2008
Who tell una say na Tax money govtment dey use do all these things for naija.More than half of the budget in Nigeria goes into expenditure not any tangible single capital project.Nigerians aint stubborn people,i disagree,dont generalise this. When the government is serious about tax reforms,then i believe anything tangible will be achieved!  

@ poster talking about  being leaders of tomorrow,what has really being done to give education a face lift,no be same nigerian student dey run go malaysia,singapore,southafrica. Most of us are good people who will strive to get on no matter what.Stop bashing and let come together as one jo!

One person go dey drive 4 govt cars,siren dey blow,traders dey run scatter,third world indeed!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by kentayo: 3:38pm On Nov 21, 2008
but sha make fashola pardon them for this last time. make he use this one draw them for ear
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Phemzy(m): 3:53pm On Nov 21, 2008
We nigerians are not born and brought up with tax, and I don't think closing up the computer village will help them to pay their tax. I hereby urge Governor Fashola to open it up and give them some times
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by bawomolo(m): 4:08pm On Nov 21, 2008
Phemzy:

We nigerians are not born and brought up with tax, and I don't think closing up the computer village will help them to pay their tax. I hereby urge Governor Fashola to open it up and give them some times

some time even after months of radical advertising? the shops that payed tax should be open while the the non tax payers while the non tax payers should have their shops closed and goods confiscated.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by bawomolo(m): 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2008
Tax? who wan carry his hard earned money go give corrupt politicians and civil servant? They have to be accountable first,

this is the problem with Nigerians. bitch and whine. all talk and no action.

when they tell you to vote. you refuse to vote claiming the election was already rigged.

when they tell you to pay tax. you refuse because the current civil servants aren't doing their job. if you have a problem with the current crop of civil servants, elect new ones in. pay your tax first then you have a right to whine.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by DoubleN(m): 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2008
Quite Painful! You can just imagine the amount of money and business going down the drain. on STV Last night the Chairman of the computer village association was complaining that he for example had paid and was yet to recieve his reciept of payment!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by AmakaOne(f): 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2008
Double N:

Quite Painful! You can just imagine the amount of money and business going down the drain. on STV Last night the Chairman of the computer village association was complaining that he for example had paid and was yet to recieve his reciept of payment!

Story, story,

His own association has been collecting LAWMA’s money without remitting it to the state.
I'm sure he conveniently forgot to mention that in his interview abi?

The Gov has been negotiating with his association for over two weeks about the issue, why did they not raise non receipt of proof of payment then?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by meexteriox(m): 4:42pm On Nov 21, 2008
Shutting down a whole market because of tax is really not the best.
First and foremost, we need to identify the type of tax you want this (mostly semi-literate) individuals
to pay.
Is it permit?
Is it PAYEE?
Is it a case of Withholding Tax?

I mean, let's start from somewhere, the daily money they pay to the Local Government officials and "omo ni ile",
where really does it go to?

Lets go a little further, Lagos State rakes in a lot of money from tax monthly, say close to 7 billion, what do they really do with it?
Where is the impact on the suffering masses?

Next time Lagosians, vote for the man who promises least; he'll be the least disappointing.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by chuxy12(m): 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2008
it was quite interesting reading the outburst b/w yemmyse and damola . i understand the frustration of damola over the conduct of the overzealous tax collecting authorities/officers. yes, we need all to pay our tax inorder for the govt to plan and build  a good society.
       but as we all know payment of tax is practically non existent with nigerian even with our leaders. yes , there has been sensitization but it is not enough. the sensitization should be so strong that every jingle should carry it, like like the sensitization adverts shot on the air before " SECOND CHANCE"
     And the tax operators should go about it with civility not like lastma officials and those hoodlums in uniform(police).by that action the govt will only be empowering another set of overzealous ignoramus to be assaulting and harrasing innocent people like touts. sad sad sad
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ayobase(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2008
reciept?
u paid&u no collect reciept ke?
Haaaa!!Mugu

well,Fash should just use this
as a mean of warning.

Remember the case of a
Bitch and her Puppy!!

BUT,,,,,,,,TAX MUST BE PAID!!!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by chuxy12(m): 4:59pm On Nov 21, 2008
plz for those who are self employed how do we go about this tax thing b4 they will come and close my business and my shop. the sensitization is all about the need to pay tax but how do we go about it. remember ,70% of the peole in are self employed
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by xeyi(m): 5:05pm On Nov 21, 2008
I think nobody is saying tax evasion is a good thing but instead of closing the ENTIRE market,why not close the stalls of those who haven't paid after much warning and allow the loyal few go on with their business?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by AmakaOne(f): 5:23pm On Nov 21, 2008
chuxy12:

plz for those who are self employed how do we go about this tax thing before they will come and close my business and my shop. the sensitization is all about the need to pay tax but how do we go about it. remember ,70% of the peole in are self employed

@ chuxy12 go to this site http://www.lasg-ebs-rcm.net/

It should answer most of your questions my good man.

@all

Pursuant to Section 1 of the Personal Income Tax Act 104 of 1993 as amended and all other Laws enabling the Board of Internal Revenue, Lagos State, in that behalf, notice is hereby given to the following effect:

1. There is hereby imposed a tax on the income of individuals, Communities and families and arising to any trustee or executor under any settlement, trustee or estate which shall be determined under and be subjected to all the provisions of Act 104 of 1993, that is, any' individual or body of individuals (including a family) and any Corporation Sole, Trustee or Executor, having any income which is chargeable With tax under the provisions of this Act whether personally or in representative capacity shall within the period of ninety days from commencement of the year of assessment declare the income derived from all sources for the purpose of assessment of income tax for the year 2004 in the prescribed Form A obtainable from the Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue Offices given in sub-paragraph 5 below. Furthermore, All employers of labour are requested to collect and complete form H1 ( Returns of Income form) from the Tax Office within their jurisdiction and return them immediately.

The law has been in place since 1993. I think 15 years is sufficient time for people to geth their tax affairs in order.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by basking4me: 5:30pm On Nov 21, 2008
Locking up shops isnt the solution. Anytime any part of the human body is going through PAIN, the other parts of the body are also affected to some degree.

So closing the Whole thing is the right thing to do. Those who have paid will know how to worry those who havent, such that this kind of situation wont be repeated next time.

The Government we have in Lagos today is one that has actually taken time to  look at all avenues to resolving issues both amicably and with diplomacy or controversy.

I still believe, our experience with military rule has so made us stiffnecked that except WE ARE DRVIVEN, WE DONT MOVE.

[center]Senario:[/center]
The other day, I was going to my otta residence with the usual traffic at ojuo-ore with plenty lanes of vehicles, 'A traffic jam'. I was in this traffic for the next 30mins, because no-one was ready to wield to the other ( I too sabi syndrome). Of a sudden, this recruit/soldier just came from nowhere brandishing his gun and breaking side mirrors of vehicles that created the extra lane. In 1minute, everybody formed one single lane and traffic FLOWED.

wE ARE IN A DEMOCRACY, TRUE!!, BUT WHY ARE WE OURSELVES ACTING AS IF WE ARE STILL IN THE MILITARY, WHERE WE HAVE TO BE FORCED TO DO THINGS,
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by basking4me: 5:51pm On Nov 21, 2008
@ Yemmyse & Damola,

Damola: I can feel the spirit of Aluta Continua inside of you. I must tell you, what you see while in school isnt what you will see when u're out of it. What you experience while still in your father's house isnt what you experience when you're on your own. You really need to grow. Time will do this for you.

So, go face your studies and ponder on what you will do when u become Governor or president to make Nigeria a better place. Pending that time, keep away from such tasking arguments!!

, And dont call someone your father's age names.

Yemmyse: You have really impressed me in that, while all of this arguments have been going on, you have kept your cool and refrained from throwing abuses back at damola. It shows you level of maturity and resilience. I am really impressed at your disposition thus far.
Keep it up!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by okiyi: 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2008
the issue there is that were the traders informed before the closure.And if they were, how long
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 6:42pm On Nov 21, 2008
Because I talk say I be student, that one come mean say I be baby habi?

Just dey open  mouth anyhow.

And truly, I agree with you, wouldn't be a bad idea joining politics afterall. Said my bit, don't expect all to agree.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by lynxnoon(m): 7:03pm On Nov 21, 2008
i dont tink this is only about tax evasion
i feel d govt is just trying to frustrate them into moving to d permanet site at mowe or thereabout undecided undecided
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by basking4me: 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2008
Even me, that shuttles otta to lagos know well that lagos has started collecting tax. its been in the news on raido & TV for months running. Even Religious leaders were drafted to encourage everyone to be involved. Must Nigerians be spoonfed.

If you must know, there's somethin in law, NO IGNORANCE OF THE LAW!

You want to go Mad, it took you 20yrs to prepare, so how many years will it take you to actually exhibit MADNESS, ?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by jandor(f): 7:48pm On Nov 21, 2008
to the poster,who told you they where not sensitized enough before the market was closed down?the problem with our ppl is that we don't want to be responsible to the govt and we want to enjoy good things.there has been a whole lots of campaign about ppl paying their taxes but they wouldn't yield except force is been used on them.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by fyneguy: 8:25pm On Nov 21, 2008
let's reason together my people

These traders have an association and they use this association to pay their dues and fulfill other obligations. The yeye association could only remit 10% of the tax due. Why should the govt spare the market? not even after giving notices to them.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best sensitization move the Lagos state govt has made.

I'm sure other markets associations will start mobilizing their members to go and pay now. Their leaders will even give them a deadline to avert being shut down.

The end will surely justify the means in this case.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by basking4me: 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2008
smiley grin

NICE ONE!! ', COME AND LETS REASON TOGETHER, ' THANK U FINEBOY!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by hilli666(m): 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2008
Initially, I was skeptical about the workings of Governor Fashola. But it appears he is leading the state in the right direction. It is a know fact in western countries that taxes are inevitable and a most important necessity for the development of any municipality or country. The proceeds from taxes, especially on a state level, affords the state the freedom to repair and service itself without assistance from the federal government. If businesses and civilians alike, truly want things to change in Lagos then they should brace themselves the great inevitable "Taxes". Now it remains questionable if Governor Fasholas state administration posses the right leadership qualities to effectively and efficiently manage the funds derived from collected taxes. Or are we going to see it wasted? squander and usurped by the current culture of corruption that run ubiquitous through out all levels of government. I feel bad for Computer Village, but with change comes sacrifices
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2008
I think Gov. Fashola simply wants us to trust him.

As at 9pm, friday 21st, Nov. 2008, I was at the computer village. And quite some good changes.

All the streets kiosks have been destroyed, living space for free driving and more movement.

Just maybe, just maybe, Fashola is a governor one can learn to trust, I believe there's more to it than taxing. Probably, an enabling environment for better trading.

Good night.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by slaughter(m): 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2008
The importance of tax payment is so enormous,govt need the money 4 infrastructures such has good roads,electric city e.t.c all these sounds good, but 4 a country like ours payment of tax is 4 some bastard civil servant to enrich themselves.A friend of mine was foremerly working in a tax office in Lagos Agege area b4 getting a job with 1st bank plc he said even when on sick bed he must get to work on friday to collect his own weekly share from the tax money generated tagged 'state cake' this is authoritative. So what do u ppl bring out of this grin

smileymr governor sir, it is unfair to lock pple out from were they feed, if it is true u gave them enough notice, i belive some would have paid why not allow those one operate  :Pfinally sir try to employ or allow the gradutes to approach these pple the pple that are out to tackle this issue with the trader espicially the police do not know the importance of what u are up to , they out to make money 4 themselve (the graduate police stays in the office) cry
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by cabali(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2008
I pay my tax constantly and a lot of us do. Anyone who does tax evasion or is accused of environmental disorder, should be sentenced to a beat down by all those who pay taxes
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by cabali(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2008
the governor has already shown everyone what he is using tax payers money for. We that pay our tax are happy about it. we want it to continue.

Anyone who does not pay tax should not only be cut off access to his business but should be left behind bars.

If you dont like it LEAVE LAGOS PERIOD!!!!!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by cabali(m): 9:27pm On Nov 21, 2008
in the news it was said the guys have been ignoring threats abt the closure and so it was closed based on tax evasion and environmental violations. if they pay their taxes why havent they come up with receipts and all??

And how come some of the interviewed are asking for more time considering the approach of the yultide??

They know what they have done. WE support Fashola and for those that dont support him, y'all probably dont pay ur taxes too and trust me the way it is going, The government is coming for you - SOON!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Need A Business Idea? Here Are 55 / BUA Signs Deal With Turkish Firm To Build 2400TPD Flour Mills / TUTORIAL: How To Get New Google Adsense In 3 Weeks With Free Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.