Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,847 members, 7,872,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:26 PM

Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 (4008 Views)

Get Lumia 950 On AT&T This November For Just $150 On 2-year Contract / In Nigeria, Smartphones Cost Less Than $100 / Phone That Are Sold For Btw #4,000 & #5,000 Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 12:42am On Nov 07, 2014
Mikkyboy10:

Aweh joorh na lie, adverts ko....shay for instance if dey re selling d s5 for 30k, with no adverts, won't dey sell more rather than selling it for like 150k...garri no sell pass indomie noodles?

Please, it's better you stick to a good-paying white collar job cuz it doesn't seem like business is your way oooh. *frown*.
Well, I sell 100 phones for #150K = 15,000,000 and you sell 500 phones for #30k = 15,000,000. I'm richer in the sense that I got my own #15m from just 100 phones while yours is from 500 phones (with the same value). It's just logical !!!
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 12:51am On Nov 07, 2014
francis247:
For where? That was then. Now indomie sell pass garri. By the way op, do your research well. The S5 cost 264 dollars to build. It's S4 and below that cost about $150.

Thanks. Note that the post is about Smartphones being built for a very low price and selling for high prices. I stated it in the post that I'll use Samsung and Galaxy S5 as example which I did, I represented ALL expensive high-end phones with the Galaxy S5, which is exactly $256 to build. It's not that ALL the flagships were built with exactly $150, some were built for <$150 and some >$150 but most of them were built with $150 that's why I used $150.

Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 12:57am On Nov 07, 2014
Elparaiso:
Your opinion is valid if and only if, all s5 phones are advertised separately....
Advertisement can never cost that much for a unit... After all,most things are done in bulk

I can see your point but it's not really pointy. There's something we call AVERAGE which makes it possible to determine the exact price of each phone even if 1000 phones were advertised @ different prices & separately which isn't even like that. BTW, Samsung Ad no be beans ooh
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 1:00am On Nov 07, 2014
brainyack:
I only agree with the fact that s5 ad will take a large chunk of the cash the s5 ad was mad gan ronaldo messi elsharawy moses Oscar casillas donovan gotze falcao Rooney grin Na money o plus the match gan gan great animation

You are now talking ! Everyone just think, spending money on ads is all about putting a banner on Nairaland or LindaIkeji and doing Facebook Ads, it's more than that.
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 1:04am On Nov 07, 2014
prezelThomas:
Op wat about iPhone, i have not seen their advert on TV before oo,but the price of their fones de cut eye

Apple's case is entirely different. In Yoruba Language, they call companies like that 'Wobia or Olojukokoro'
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 1:06am On Nov 07, 2014
[size=18pt]MODs... Front Page Please...[/size]
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 1:07am On Nov 07, 2014
alotofgrace:
a good wine needs no advert.

For your mind ?
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by alotofgrace(m): 6:13am On Nov 07, 2014
aywhy93:

For your mind ?

for real
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by epoxide(m): 6:15am On Nov 07, 2014
aywhy93:

They do advertise and they also pay employees. But don't you know there are different types of advertisements ? Do you want to compare Samsung's advertisements with Tecno's ad, for example ? Also, I'm sure you know they are targeting different size of areas !!! Samsung is targeting everywhere in the world while Tecno is only targeting few countries in Africa thus they spend different amount of money for adverts. BTW, the amount of money Samsung and some other giant Smartphone manufacturers spend on Ads annually is even more than the net-worth of some other smaller smartphone manufacturers we all know.

Also, as an employee working with Tecno in Africa... Let's assume you get paid #120,000 monthly. Do you also expect another employee who works with Samsung in the States to be paid $720 which is equivalent to the aforementioned salary ? NO, it's impossible... They get paid in thousands of dollars (>$10,000) because of their economy.

u no get argument. the reason their phones are expensive is far from this guess work you did here
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by Bawss1(m): 7:34am On Nov 07, 2014
aywhy93:
[size=18pt]MODs... Front Page Please...[/size]

Front page? No o. You want more people to see the warped mode of thinking going on here?

How hard can it be for guys here to understand that the individual cost of phone components isn't a true representative of the cost of production. This is something that occurs in virtually all sectors from telecommunications to the automobile industry. Heck go to any restaurant and demand that your bill should be N100 because that's how much the items on the plate cost. See how that will turn out.cheesy
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by Bawss1(m): 7:36am On Nov 07, 2014
epoxide:

u no get argument. the reason their phones are expensive is far from this guess work you did here

Provide a better reason than his then.
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 07, 2014
Bawss1:

Front page? No o. You want more people to see the warped mode of thinking going on here?

How hard can it be for guys here to understand that the individual cost of phone components isn't a true representative of the cost of production. This is something that occurs in virtually all sectors from telecommunications to the automobile industry. Heck go to any restaurant and demand that your bill should be N100 because that's how much the items on the plate cost. See how that will turn out.cheesy

Give them components nd instruction manual. Maybe they think putting a phone together is like Lego duplos. ( one has to account for infantile thinking)

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 10:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
Bawss1:

Wow, It took me few seconds to get what you mean by the bolded part but when I got it, I see a lot of sense in it, it's a good example for the ongoing topic. Nice one !!! We still have a lot of ignorant people in Nigeria when it comes to Tech and Mobile though shocked

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 10:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
oyb:

Give them components nd instruction manual. Maybe they think putting a phone together is like Lego duplos. ( one has to account for infantile thinking)

LoL... Even a PhD holder in ICT + CSC in Nigeria wont be able to couple one not to talk of others
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2015
Quality post that should be on front page !
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 11, 2015
When e enter I go comment
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by martineverest(m): 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2015
OEMs spend billions on research,marketing and paying workers heavily....they also pay other companies for using their intelletual property(eg, every android manufacturers pay microsoft 5 to 15 dollars for manufacturing android,since android was built on microsoft intellectual properties)......to compensate for dis,dey have to shoot d prize of dia devices up.
Re: Revealed: Why Smartphones Cost Just $150 To Build And Are Sold For $800 by aywhy93(m): 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
ollah1:
When e enter I go comment
No be comment you just comment ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out These Funny Types Of Selfies + Funniest Selfie Proposal Ever / How To Unsend Sent Message On Whatsapp And Bring Back The Old Status / How To accumulate mtn game ➕ mb to 1.5gb free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.