Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,838 members, 7,889,791 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 08:49 PM

FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW (20706 Views)

Power Supply To Increase By 600MW This Month - FG / Price Of Cement Hits All-time High / Up From 3,800mw Last Week, Power Generation Hits 4,000mw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by cut007: 8:31am On Nov 08, 2014
Power failure sounds strange to me. If you live in Awka (Anambra state), then you'll now why generators are actually called STANDBY generators! The light here is almost 24/7 except for intermittent interruptions of at most, 30mins. If this sounds too good to be true, make your enquiries. I doubt if any city can compete with Awka in terms of stable power supply.

2 Likes

Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 08, 2014
sleekman:
Yes some areas were but during Yar Adua's tenure so many communities came on the national grid and still do till this day. Generation was 2000MW max under OBJ. Now we're seeing steady improvement through private participation. If equipments weren't vandalized maybe we would have hit 6000MW by now. I still believe GEJ will hit 10,000MW b4 d end of 2019.
I like ur analysis but we shall definitely see by 2019. mind u- that is even if GEJ is re-elected

1 Like

Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by Tibins(m): 10:49am On Nov 08, 2014
123taiye:

Rubbish!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskom

Eskom (South African Public Utility Company) generates as follows

1) Coal Fired - 37,978MW (from 13 stations, eight of these generation more than 3,000MW)

2) Hydroelectric and Pumped Storage - 2,000MW

3) Nuclear - 1,931

Mr man, have you asked ESKON how long it took them to build up power to that MW stated.... ESKON is a private company, meaning SA power sector is private sector driven.... Nigeria under GEJ have just privatized the power sector , and you are here expecting uniterrupted power in just one year... I'm very sure you don't know how long it take to build one power station... It is not like a generator set.... if you must know. It is not only the turbines there is to build, you also have to dvelop and construct a step up station within, then transmission interface to follow - a means of evacuating the power.
Again, wether or not the existing transmission lines will be able to accommodate the new outflow.... To the best of my knowledge the power transmission lines we have were built in the seventies, this govt is faced with a bulky challenge to change all of these.
IT IS NEVER POSSIBLE TO LIGHT UP NIGERIA AS A WHOLE IN ONE YEAR OF PRIVATIZATION. SITUATION CAN ONLY IMPROVE, BUT WE SHALL DEFINITELY GET THERE SOON, IF THIS GOVT STEP UP WITH THE NEW COMPANIES... GIVE IT SAY THREE TO FOUR YEARS.

The end of privatization exercise is the begining of investment in power... More and more companies are already investing, so "from now on, it can only get better" We Nigerians need to be patient sometimes.... and have some trust.
For example, one unit of modern compact gas turbine can generate up to 150MW to 200MW, so you need to build up to five of that to get like 750MW to 1000MW. Besides you also have to get a source of gas supplies to the station... this involves lengths of pipe laying.... through communities....
Most of these machines can also be designed as combined cycle engine... We can in addition do steam and hydraulic engines to boost power supplies. But these are huge investments that will take alot of time....Let's be patient and stop politicizing serious issues as power.

1 Like

Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by macherie1: 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2014
Where is the power please? is it in this same Nigeria cos it has never been this worse in my area in Lagos.
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by calcal: 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2014
Shame after 50 years of independent we still debating on electricity.
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by fxskye: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2014
Humm....the reality in my area is that the supply of power has reduced so low than what It's used to be say within 2008/2009.

And ironically phcn bill is more than 50% higher than what I used to pay. Fuel cost also goes up due to long hr on generator which now become main source of power instead of standby.
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by awodiyat: 11:31am On Nov 09, 2014
Let stop decieveg ourself we need up to 50,000mw for naija to enjoy lite.so 4000mw isntg at all
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by Godmann(m): 9:13am On Nov 10, 2014
Fools!! Keep celebrating every piecemeal increment in power generation; and keep mute when it drops; while billions are being stolen and thousand of people are dying.

our country will soon be past. Truly there was a country.
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by kay29000(m): 10:10am On Nov 10, 2014
brownlord:
Enough of all this nonsense, the megabyte keep fluctuating like mtn network on my nokia 3310.

Please keep all the statistics to yourself, i'm not interested, if i wanted to know how megawatts fall and rise i should have studied physics, all i want is the period i see light in my bulb and amount i save from buying fuel on generator.

LMAO! I am 100% with you on this.
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by Martini101(m): 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2014
cut007:
Power failure sounds strange to me. If you live in Awka (Anambra state), then you'll now why generators are actually called STANDBY generators! The light here is almost 24/7 except for intermittent interruptions of at most, 30mins. If this sounds too good to be true, make your enquiries. I doubt if any city can compete with Awka in terms of stable power supply.
. Gbam
Re: FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW by kudoxs(m): 6:40am On Nov 14, 2014
KUDOXS is here people, I am not asking much of you, I am just asking you to keep me in the contest by not deleting my name when you vote. I am in GRP 5 and NO 10.Thank you and God bless. I don't have a campaign manager, no fancy display poster , but I have you my people and that is enough for me. Please share and tell your friends and loved ones. Your vote counts. www.nairaland.com/1995552/mr-nairaland-december-2014-edition#27994912

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics / Dangote Refinery To Cut Ghana’s Fuel Imports And Reduce Pump Price / An Open Letter To Zenith Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.