Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,108 members, 7,967,128 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 12:10 PM

APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku (792 Views)

Gov Okorocha's Chatham House Saga Shows Igbos Got No Respect For Anybody / Uche Ekwunife Kicked Out Of APC Primaries (Snapshot) / I Can't Step Down For Anybody-Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by msmon(m): 7:31am On Nov 14, 2014
ABUJA-Against every expectation that the five
presidential aspirants in the All Progressive
Congress, APC, would reach a consensus on who
becomes the party’s flag bearer in next year’s
general election, one of the aspirants, former Vice
President Atiku Abubakar has said that the idea does not exist.
Atiku is vying for the APC ticket alongside former Head of State, Gen. Mohammadu Buhari, Kano state governor Dr. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, Imo state governor Chief Rochas Okorocha and a publisher Mr. Sam Nda Isaiah.

Vanguard learnt yesterday that a high powered
meeting of the aspirants from the north was
convened in Abuja on Tuesday night.

But the meeting which was to broker a truce among
the contestants of the ticket ended in fiasco.
In an interview with the cable Network on the issue of consensus, Atiku said the idea of withdrawal does not arise at the moment.
“No, I don’t think so. The issue of withdrawal at this
moment is not on the table because as candidates
we have not met; let’s say the five of us. Before you
talk of withdrawal, before you talk of consensus, the
candidates must meet as a group. And when they
meet as a group all of them must submit to a
consensus process.
“They must also agree what is going to be the mode
of the consensus process. How are we going to get a
candidate to emerge? So there has to be process,
there has to be willingness of all the parties. At the
moment, none. We have not even met; five of us, not to talk of agreeing to a consensus option. I would like to say, perhaps, we have passed the consensus option, because this is an option that did not go through the national working committee, did not go through the NEC.
“So, I think if it did go through all these statutory
structures then there is a very slim chance, unless
out of the willingness of five us we decide to sit down and produce a process that will throw up a consensus candidate”, he said.

The former Vice President said he was prepared for
the party’s primaries, saying he was not green horn
in the game of politics.
“I am really prepared for the primary because this is
a game that I have participated in more than the
others. In other words, I have been involved in
primary election since the early 90s, and that has
given me a lot of experience when it comes to
primaries whether they are direct or indirect because we have participated in both types of primaries.
“The perception that the ticket is there for Buhari to
take is a mistaken perception because Buhari has
never participated in any primaries. In the three
elections he contested he was simply given the
tickets. He did not go through any primaries. I
believe that is not going to be helpful to him in this
very case.
“As of today, among the five of us who are going to
participate in the primaries I am the only one who is
running around the country. Nobody else is doing
that. Nowadays delegates have become more
enlightened than before. Most of them are very
educated and most of them want to engage their
candidates in discussions on what is it they have for
them, for the electorate and for party. If they have
not seen you, not to talk of interacting with you, how would they vote for you?

He continued: “Secondly, this is not a party that is
dominated by the influence of governors. In other
words, the governors trying to force delegates to vote even against their own conscience like it happens in the PDP. This is a party that wants to bring about change. And that really wants to allow people to make choices based on their own convictions.

“So I have seen in a few states where we have
governors; where I was very well received, and I had
access to all the delegates, to talk to them, interact
with them, and also to listen to all their own
problems, and I like it and enjoyed it because you get to know quite a lot of things. You think you know all the problems, but when get down the bottom-line and then you begin to listen to ordinary people who live ordinary lives and you find there is a lot you learn.

“I think all these experiences give me confidence
that I have an edge over the rest of them. I know it is not easy. It is difficult. The physical terrain, going
round the country is not good particularly, in terms of the road infrastructure, very bad roads. And you fly all over. I have never seen an election period so short like this one. So, for you to be able to cover the entire country, you need to be flying, sometimes covering two or three states in a day.

Thank God most of the states I have covered them. The only thing is that you cannot stay too late because when it is dark most of the airports don’t operate. Only few airports operate in the night in this country.”

Asked whether he would support General
Mohammed Buhari should the lot finally fall on him,
Atiku said he had done it before.

“I think I have proved that I am a pragmatic
politician. Recall that in 2010 when I failed to get the PDP ticket against President Jonathan, I and others went to try to bring about an electoral alliance between the CPC and CAN.

“And even when Buhari eventually disappointed a
group of us, myself, General Babangida, General
Aliyu Gusau and Mallam Adamu Ciroma, I still went
out of my way to support Buhari even in CPC. So for
me it is not a big deal. I think I’m a pragmatic
politician and I don’t know of others. What I know is
that we have an understanding to support one
another. I don’t know of the rest, but I can say of
myself, I can support anyone that emerges”, he said.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/apc-primaries-cant-step-anybody-atiku/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 14, 2014
Has Rochas bought his nomination form already? The primaries is going to be an interesting one.
APC must not follow the path of PDP in having a consensus candidate. True Democracy must be practiced.

Wish all the candidates the best. cool
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by cooljude(m): 7:39am On Nov 14, 2014
Ok, they should choose their best.
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by Vicaboy(m): 7:46am On Nov 14, 2014
Interesting
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:47am On Nov 14, 2014
Oga Atiku u will still step down after d primaries
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by morefire: 7:49am On Nov 14, 2014
berem:
Has Rochas bought his nomination form already? The primaries is going to be an interesting one.
APC must not follow the path of PDP in having a consensus candidate. True Democracy must be practiced.

Wish all the candidates the best. cool

lol.... did you read that PDP later said you know what anybody who wants to pick the presidential form should do so?

my own is sha i hope the other guys would be ,matured enough to work for the partys victory when they dont win the primaries
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by morefire: 7:50am On Nov 14, 2014
it will shock us oga Atiku is working for GEJ..... I dont trust that guy at all... no be today mehn
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2014
mtcheeew. Una go kill unaselves on top primaries matter!!! embarassed
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 14, 2014
morefire:

lol.... did you read that PDP later said you know what anybody who wants to pick the presidential form should do so?

my own is sha i hope the other guys would be ,matured enough to work for the partys victory when they dont win the primaries
story for the gods! Film trick at its best. We know what happened afterwards.
Re: APC Primaries: I Can’t Step Down For Anybody – Atiku by msmon(m): 7:58am On Nov 14, 2014
I'm sorry, ihe can't be trusted really, he is a prostitute. Did u notice his jibes on Buhari?
morefire:
it will shock us oga Atiku is working for GEJ..... I dont trust that guy at all... no be today mehn

(1) (Reply)

GEJ V Buhari: If It's Not Panadol It Can Never Be Like Panadol / FG To Link State Capitals With Rail System, Says Jonathan / Between Buharists And Jonathanians: The Gathering Storm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.