Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,784 members, 7,875,940 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:58 AM

Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience (1157 Views)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Has Any Body Raised Broilers From Amo.what Was Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by FarmTech(m): 5:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
In this thread, I'll like us to share experience and profer solution to this issue of area boys harassment of farmers and land owners. Whenever you want to build any structure they'll appear and start demanding for large amount of money - an amount that is enough to start a farm business.

My Experience
Before my poultry farm was built, we have to pay this people N300,000 for 3 plots of land. Now assuming we did not have the money, I'll be roaming about towns looking for job. This kept me thinking that some graduates have access to land and money to start up a business, but the fear of these people force them to go for job hunting instead.
In Anambra state, the past govnor, Peter Obi, passed a law that illegalize the acts of area boys. The law states: "grin. Any person who collect or demand any fee (not approved by law) from any person developing or improving on existing development on land has a punishment of 5 years jail or N500,000 fine or both"
"F. Any person who unlawfully destroys, remove, damage any beacon or structure on any land will go to 10 years jail or N1m fine or both"
My father had another 2 plot of land which I'll like to develop into a rabbit and poultry farm, but I know that if I should step on the land to build anything again, these guys will appear and demand for 200k or more. For me, I'm not paying anything, I'd rather gather evidence of their activities with video cameras and sue them to court.
That's my own experience and possible solution, now what do you guys think?
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by Pavore9: 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2014
No one wants to be captured on camera while commiting a crime but once you get them on record you are halfway to curtailing their excesses.
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by FarmTech(m): 12:35am On Nov 15, 2014
Pavore9:
No one wants to be captured on camera while commiting a crime but once you get them on record you are halfway to curtailing their excesses.
All those loooooong court cases can be cut short with simple pictures or video evidence. So I plan to invest heavily on them.
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by jasper7(m): 11:26am On Nov 15, 2014
FarmTech:

All those loooooong court cases can be cut short with simple pictures or video evidence. So I plan to invest heavily on them.
It's not advisable to seek problem with "area boys" especially if you plan to run a profitable business there. Depending on what the money is for shaa. There are factors that shud guide you and things you should know before taking any drastic action. Firstly, as a manager, you must ne familiar with the term or concept of "Nuisance value", most of this area boys have nuisance value. Settle them and they don't only leave you alone but also look after ur investment for You. Refuse to settle and they would bring the thiefs to ur place or even steal it themselves or overlook when the thief comes. But if you are from the area, at least you shouldn't worry about all that.
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
FarmTech:

If You can get the video evidence,then half of the problem is solved or you can get them on tape how they were harassing you for money.
At first,it will be challenging and difficult but if you can persevere and overcome the challenges, the farm is going to be a huge success.
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by FarmTech(m): 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2014
jasper7:

It's not advisable to seek problem with "area boys" especially if you plan to run a profitable business there. Depending on what the money is for shaa. There are factors that shud guide you and things you should know before taking any drastic action. Firstly, as a manager, you must ne familiar with the term or concept of "Nuisance value", most of this area boys have nuisance value. Settle them and they don't only leave you alone but also look after ur investment for You. Refuse to settle and they would bring the thiefs to ur place or even steal it themselves or overlook when the thief comes. But if you are from the area, at least you shouldn't worry about all that.
If we're talking about small amount of money here, it would be a different thing entirely. But we're talking about not less than N200,000 here. That's what you'll illegally give to some holligans who think they're above the law. How much are my starting the business with? They'll be leaving me with no other choice than that of a tiger that found himself back into a corner.
Re: Area Boys Harassing Land Owners: Your Experience by FarmTech(m): 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

If You can get the video evidence,then half of the problem is solved or you can get them on tape how they were harassing you for money.
At first,it will be challenging and difficult but if you can persevere and overcome the challenges, the farm is going to be a huge success.
That's the only choice they'll leave me with. They've been doing it for a long time and you don't expect them to obey the law without a fight.

(1) (Reply)

Pls What Is The Conversion Rate Of Cassava To Garri & Hw Much Is 50kg Of Garri? / Multiple Streams Of Income Through Catfish Farming! / Who Has Info On Awowo Model Farm Settlement?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.