Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,207 members, 7,873,919 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:15 PM

How Do I Resign? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do I Resign? (3180 Views)

Should He Take A "Pay Cut" Or "Resign" Honourably / A Nigerian Sends An Email To Resign From PricewaterhouseCoopers In The US / Should I Resign From My Current Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Resign? by capricun: 4:41am On Nov 16, 2014
I have spent 1year 8 months in my present company. I got the job immediately after NYSC last year. I wasn't given an appointment letter though. I got a Federal appointment on Friday and training starts next week.

Now I need to resign but two of my colleagues resigned last month and my boss was like, now anyone who wants to resign must give her two months notice.

I have started clearing my desk and writing a handover report and i need to resign on Monday. I need help, how do I go about it.
Thanks guys
Re: How Do I Resign? by Kimmo(f): 4:58am On Nov 16, 2014
Lol. I've been in your shoes before, but in my case, I liked my boss and didn't want to leave her in the lurch.

I got a replacement for myself, apologised profusely to her (she'd been really kind to me and I didn't want to offend her, but a better offer is a better offer) and lied that I actually applied for the new job BEFORE I joined her establishment but the company didn't get back to me until now and they need me to resume asap.
Re: How Do I Resign? by Nobody: 5:01am On Nov 16, 2014
Since u were not even given an appointment leta, u are not officially a staff. Thus, u can just work away (just kidding grin). But i don't think you have any real problem, first talk to her before giving her your letter and handing over - The reason is so dat u do not burn any bridge before leaving. If she refuses to reason with you, that's her headache, man must move forward!

PS: Do not pity any employer dat takes you as a casual staff cos if they want to fire you, you would not get an hours notice. cheers...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Resign? by Gboliwe: 5:31am On Nov 16, 2014
capricun:
I have spent 1year 8 months in my present company. I got the job immediately after NYSC last year. I wasn't given an appointment letter though. I got a Federal appointment on Friday and training starts next week.

Now I need to resign but two of my colleagues resigned last month and my boss was like, now anyone who wants to resign must give her two months notice.

I have started clearing my desk and writing a handover report and i need to resign on Monday. I need help, how do I go about it.
Thanks guys

She said the two months notice verbally right? She also gave you employment notice verbally abi? When she was doing those, she was being smart by safeguarding herself against any form of lawsuit in future. If she were to be smarter, she would have secured your duties too by tying you down legally- giving you an appointment letter and stating the terms therein but she didn't so she isn't so smart.

So, just for posterity and conscience sake, go to her and speak with her thanking her for giving you the opportunity to work with her. Thank her for everything you know she has impacted and done and drop the news too of you seeming progress. She should understand and be happy for you. If you have someone who can do your job, recommend such to her. Help her train someone who will take over from you. Good luck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Resign? by tobey2ng(m): 5:52am On Nov 16, 2014
There are no two ways to it.You just have to resign because you came to work with and you eventually leave someday.Moreso.if she fires you what will you do? The decision is in your hand man either you move your career forward or you remain in a place forever. Something official has to be official.Goodday.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Resign? by adebayo201: 6:35am On Nov 16, 2014
After receiving your last month salary, just stop going to work.
if you're called,just tell your boss... I'm on the look for GREENER PASTURE!

#lobatan

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Resign? by capricun: 7:20am On Nov 16, 2014
Gboliwe:

She said the two months notice verbally right? She also gave you employment notice verbally abi? When she was doing those, she was being smart by safeguarding herself against any form of lawsuit in future. If she were to be smarter, she would have secured your duties too by tying you down legally- giving you an appointment letter and stating the terms therein but she didn't so she isn't so smart.

So, just for posterity and conscience sake, go to her and speak with her thanking her for giving you the opportunity to work with her. Thank her for everything you know she has impacted and done and drop the news too of you seeming progress. She should understand and be happy for you. If you have someone who can do your job, recommend such to her. Help her train someone who will take over from you. Good luck

I don't think I would recommend anyone to work here, cause seriously I didn't find it comfortable at all.
I would use your advice but I know leaving without notice would hurt her and the company but a man has got to do what he has to do.
Re: How Do I Resign? by ednut1(m): 8:00am On Nov 16, 2014
u had no appointment letter meaning no binding contract existed . jst tell her ur resigning. she cant do u anytin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Resign? by armadeo(m): 8:45am On Nov 16, 2014
ednut1:
u had no appointment letter meaning no binding contract existed . jst tell her ur resigning. she cant do u anytin
Re: How Do I Resign? by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 16, 2014
capricun:

Thanks guys

You started a job without an appointment letter and you stayed on the job for 1 year, 8 months. This shows you weren't valued as a staff there.

Now you've gotten a new job she (your soon to be Ex boss) wanna tie you down? She said "anyone who wishes to resign must give 2 months notice".

My CANDID advice: Don't write any resignation letter to her. You're in no way legally bound to them as a staff (since you weren't issued an appointment letter).

However, I'd advice you sit down with her and tell her you wish to go. And also ask for forgiveness if you've in anyway offended her. Thank her for the time you spent in her firm.
Then, leave.

Congrats on your new appointment bro! I pray you rise to the top of your career.
Re: How Do I Resign? by olashas(f): 10:08am On Nov 16, 2014
adebayo201:
[/b]After receiving your last month salary, just stop going to work.[b]
if you're called,just tell your boss... I'm on the look for GREENER PASTURE!

#lobatan
You beat me to it grin
Re: How Do I Resign? by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 16, 2014
lomomike:

You started a job without an appointment letter and you stayed on the job for 1 year, 8 months. This shows you weren't valued as a staff there.

Now you've gotten a new job she (your soon to be Ex boss) wanna tie you down? She said "anyone who wishes to resign must give 2 months notice".

My CANDID advice: Don't write any resignation letter to her. You're in no way legally bound to them as a staff (since you weren't issued an appointment letter).

However, I'd advice you sit down with her and tell her you wish to go. And also ask for forgiveness if you've in anyway offended her. Thank her for the time you spent in her firm.
Then, leave.

Congrats on your new appointment bro! I pray you rise to the top of your career.

And if possible don't tell her your destination yet.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Resign? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
just demand for a 100% increase in wage and walk away.

she no go even call u back.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Resign? by iyknaz(m): 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
That's bullshit... just tender ur resignation, and don't show up d next working day. Dats all! Would she give u 2 months notice b4 she sacks u? Move on!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Resign? by Gboliwe: 5:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
capricun:

I don't think I would recommend anyone to work here, cause seriously I didn't find it comfortable at all.
I would use your advice but I know leaving without notice would hurt her and the company but a man has got to do what he has to do.

Tell us the nature of the job and location, I am certain it will be a big catch to someone in this section. You would be helping reduce unemployment in your own small way.
Re: How Do I Resign? by capricun: 5:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
Gboliwe:

Tell us the nature of the job and location, I am certain it will be a big catch to someone in this section. You would be helping reduce unemployment in your own small way.

It's a logistics and operations person job. I do all the IT work also, the person must have a knowledge of Corel draw and be able to use all the Microsoft office packages. I meant all oo.

The job is on the island in Lagos. You must be hardworking as it involves working on weekends.
grin
Re: How Do I Resign? by Gboliwe: 5:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
capricun:

It's a logistics and operations person job. I do all the IT work also, the person must have a knowledge of Corel draw and be able to use all the Microsoft office packages. I meant all oo.

The job is on the island in Lagos. You must be hardworking and a ready to talk crap from a Lady grin

Nairalanders you have it! Please send capricun a PM for directions if you think you can cope.
Thank You man! May you keep shining in your new place
Re: How Do I Resign? by Gboliwe: 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
I also just remembered that user "looking4job" who spammed the entire forum some months back. Hope he sees this.
Re: How Do I Resign? by capricun: 5:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
Gboliwe:

Nairaland you have it! Please send capricun a PM for directions if you think you can cope.
Thank You man! May you keep shining in your new place

Anyone who needs a job can send me a pm. The job actually taught me a lot of things and gave me wide exposure.
Cheers.

Gboliwe we know each other on my other account tongue
Re: How Do I Resign? by Gboliwe: 5:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
capricun:

Anyone who needs a job can send me a pm. The job actually taught me a lot of things and gave me wide exposure.
Cheers.

Gboliwe we know each other on my other account tongue

shocked shocked shocked really? You people, the monikers you are shanging, diariiis God oooo

(1) (Reply)

WORKFORCE Group-transaction Officer / Federal Government Withdraws Budget On N-power, Ask Beneficiaries To Resign / Sterling Bank Non-interest Banking Officer Recruitment (22 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.