Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,486 members, 7,892,017 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

Us Citizen - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us Citizen (2420 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Can A Nigerian Living In Nigeria Marries A US Citizen / Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Citizen by ToluAde1: 2:52am On Nov 26, 2008
I need an urgent Advice please: I meet an American lady on one of these dating site over a year ago, and we've profess love to each other, now she's set to come to Nigeria for Marriage.i need advice on how to go by these and few questions:
1)will the purported marriage enhanced my migrating to the state if i wish?if yes how do i go by it?
2)how many days/months will she have to stay in Nigeria for her to be married to a Nigerian?
3)what and what document will i need to take to the us embassy after the marriage to facilitate my migration.and more

pls i need Good and sound advice from nairalander
Re: Us Citizen by savanaha: 2:54am On Nov 26, 2008
Tolu Ade:

I need an urgent Advice please: I meet an American lady on one of these dating site over a year ago, and we've profess love to each other, now she's set to come to Nigeria for Marriage.i need advice on how to go by these and few questions:
1)will the purported marriage enhanced my migrating to the state if i wish?if yes how do i go by it? 2)how many days/months will she have to stay in Nigeria for her to be married to a Nigerian?
3)what and what document will i need to take to the us embassy after the marriage to facilitate my migration.and more

please i need Good and sound advice from nairalander

Your #1 question gave you and your silly intention away. Umm just so you know those marriages don't enhance nothing. Its like a balding pill it said to grow your hair but it never really does.
Re: Us Citizen by OgidiBoy(m): 3:11am On Nov 26, 2008
My girl friend works for the consulate in Nigeria and we talk about this a lot. I can give you a few advise on here but if I was you, I'll go to Visa Journey. It's a public forum where a lot of Nigerians can ask questions and get advise from people that are going through the same process. Just google visa journey.

From just talking to folks I can give you a few advise.

1 Yes the marriage can only help the process as long as you have very legit documentation and not no made up bogus paperwork and you've never overstayed a visa in the States and you don't have any criminal record.

2. The whole process can take up to 6 to 8 months as long as you not put on an administrative investigation, then it could take years. The K1 instead of the K3 is faster.

3. If I was you, I will start saving and documenting all your email, telephone records, letters with post mark, pictures, and any kind of correspondence you have with her because the will ask you for all that come interview day,and please don't think you can fool the consulate with fake information because it just makes thinds very complicated for you guys.

I wise you all the best if you have any more question please let me know.
Re: Us Citizen by SeanT21(f): 8:53am On Nov 26, 2008
I am not mad at You.If U wanna marry her Just to come to the states,SO BE IT!!
Re: Us Citizen by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 26, 2008
This is your opportunity, grab it before it goes.
Re: Us Citizen by ToluAde1: 2:16pm On Nov 26, 2008
Savanna you are so Rude in your response,, i pleaded for sound reply pls.
Re: Us Citizen by omega25red(m): 3:43pm On Nov 26, 2008
Like another poster said you need to start saving e mails and all types of documents to show that you both are really in love. Also, she would need to file the documents here in the states for you to come over to the states. She would be applying for spousal visa for you and when you get here on that initial visa you can go see a lawyer to figure out how she could get you a green card. Remember that you might be required to return to nigeria to be interviewed or to pick up the green card.
Re: Us Citizen by Thadude(m): 4:48pm On Nov 26, 2008
Your question has been partly answered by Ogidiboy.
Just some few advise,
Give ur self a year for evidence gathering and another year for immigration protocol. If u rush it you re likely to fail in ur quest, if they find anything wrong in the application. You cant fool them at all so dont think it!. Make sure the lady comes to Nigeria atleast twice if not you will be put on administrative process if they dont find any reason to denial you, administrative process can be from 2 to infiniti yrs. Until u tell them u re no longer interested. Pray that ur names don't clash with names of wanted terrorist or wanted Nigerians who visited and committed crime in the past, dont forget till date most Nigerians apply for international passport with imaginary nigerian names especially drug peddlers and 419 peeps, even govt top official use imaginary names to cover their tracks of financial scam when they leave office cos' of lack of identifiable ID card, an imaginary name to them could be someone else real names. Some people have names similarities that sometimes clash during background check with FBI in the USA although you will be cleared via ur finger print taken at the consulate,  it will take a long time, a 6-8months wait will end up becoming 2yrs wait.
Also note that it is a wait game that require patience and the consular officer knows that too well, that is one of the reasons you cant outsmart them!, love can wait, the process will test ur patience to the max. to see if u understand that.

During the waiting process 2 faults can occur:
*One likely from ur end
*The other from her end.
Note - a background check will equally be done on her, so u have to find out before a bang occurs:-
*Has she ever lived on govt. benefits since 18? They dont want you to come to America and become a nuisance to the govt by living on govt benefits before u become a citizen. If she has done it before they might likely conclude on a reoccurance. If she has a long work history it will boost ur application.
*what's the sequence of her past marriages if any?, has she ever married a foreigner and file for such person in the past? If she has, they might conclude its a scam, that foreigners are paying her to acquire citizenship via marriage and investigation will take off from there.
*Has she ever been involved in a violent crime including robberies, murder, kidnap or gun runing gangs since she was 18?
* Has she ever been convicted and sent to prison apart from jail for minor offences?
Dont waste ur time if she cant give u a simple straight answer to these questions. Cos' ur file will be summitted without any review and the next time she calls immigration they will tell her ur file is missing, a missing file is a sign of a red flag.
It is also advisable to use a lawyer cos a silly mistakes while filing can send you back to square one!, dont forget its a waiting game based on a turn by turn basis if there is an error in ur filing ur file goes behind and line-up again.
It is also an expensive process and could cost up to $5000USD inclusive of return air ticket of the lady to Nigeria twice, immigration filing fees which is $1000 as at today, visa fees for u, Medical fees to include HIV test. If u eventually get the visa and u are flying to join her, that $5000 becomes $6,500, if u re using a lawyer a below average immigration lawyer in the USA would accept $3000 and $6,500 becomes $9,500.

So ask urself do u have the patience?
Can both of u fund it so u dont dropout along the way.
Do u guys love each other enough till death do u part to go thro' this patience testing process,

On ur part you will need to privately go for HIV test, it will be a waste of time, money and patience if u dont know ur status now and the worst becomes a revealation during ur interview. Secondly, 10% deceitfulness would be erase from the visa officer if it is discovered that you have never applied for a visa to the USA in the past during record check. Your chat/phone call  evidence must be large enough to convince the visa officer. If u claim to have known her for 1yr you should have weekly phone records and chat evidence for one yr to prove ur claim, all chat records must be printed out and submitted during ur application. Even tho! they might not read it. Remember they act on sensor more than documents. If they sense u are well prepared u will be successful during d interview.
Re: Us Citizen by Magnate021(m): 6:54pm On Nov 26, 2008
Tha_dude:

Just some few advise,
Give ur self a year for evidence gathering and another year for immigration protocol. If u rush it you re likely to fail in ur quest, if they find anything wrong in the application. You can't fool them at all so don't think it!. Make sure the lady comes to Nigeria atleast twice if not you will be put on administrative process if they don't find any reason to denial you, administrative process can be from 2 to infiniti years. Until u tell them u re no longer interested. Pray that ur names don't clash with names of wanted terrorist or wanted Nigerians who visited and committed crime in the past, don't forget till date most Nigerians apply for international passport with imaginary nigerian names especially drug peddlers and 419 peeps, even govt top official use imaginary names to cover their tracks of financial scam when they leave office because' of lack of identifiable ID card, an imaginary name to them could be someone else real names. Some people have names similarities that sometimes clash during background check with FBI in the USA although you will be cleared via ur finger print taken at the consulate, it will take a long time, a 6-8months wait will end up becoming 2yrs wait.
Also note that it is a wait game that require patience and the consular officer knows that too well, that is one of the reasons you can't outsmart them!, love can wait, the process will test ur patience to the max. to see if u understand that.

*One likely from ur end
*The other from her end.
Note - a background check will equally be done on her, so u have to find out before a bang occurs:-
*Has she ever lived on govt. benefits since 18? They don't want you to come to America and become a nuisance to the govt by living on govt benefits before u become a citizen. If she has done it before they might likely conclude on a reoccurance. If she has a long work history it will boost ur application.
*what's the sequence of her past marriages if any?, has she ever married a foreigner and file for such person in the past? If she has, they might conclude its a scam, that foreigners are paying her to acquire citizenship via marriage and investigation will take off from there.
*Has she ever been involved in a violent crime including robberies, murder, kidnap or gun runing gangs since she was 18?
* Has she ever been convicted and sent to prison apart from jail for minor offences?
don't waste ur time if she can't give u a simple straight answer to these questions. because' ur file will be summitted without any review and the next time she calls immigration they will tell her ur file is missing, a missing file is a sign of a red flag.
It is also advisable to use a lawyer because a silly mistakes while filing can send you back to square one!, don't forget its a waiting game based on a turn by turn basis if there is an error in ur filing ur file goes behind and line-up again.
It is also an expensive process and could cost up to $5000USD inclusive of return air ticket of the lady to Nigeria twice, immigration filing fees which is $1000 as at today, visa fees for u, Medical fees to include HIV test. If u eventually get the visa and u are flying to join her, that $5000 becomes $6,500, if u re using a lawyer a below average immigration lawyer in the USA would accept $3000 and $6,500 becomes $9,500.

So ask yourself do u have the patience?
Can both of u fund it so u don't dropout along the way.
Do u guys love each other enough till death do u part to go thro' this patience testing process,

On ur part you will need to privately go for HIV test, it will be a waste of time, money and patience if u don't know ur status now and the worst becomes a revealation during ur interview. Secondly, 10% deceitfulness would be erase from the visa officer if it is discovered that you have never applied for a visa to the USA in the past during record check. Your chat/phone call evidence must be large enough to convince the visa officer. If u claim to have known her for 1yr you should have weekly phone records and chat evidence for one yr to prove ur claim, all chat records must be printed out and submitted during ur application. Even tho! they might not read it. Remember they act on sensor more than documents. If they sense u are well prepared u will be successful during d interview.
DITTO! u said it all bro. but i will also advice him to visit "visajourney.com" it helps a lot.
Re: Us Citizen by FLORIDACAR: 8:09am On Nov 27, 2008
@Poster print out the comments of :tha_dude and read over and over you should be alright!
DAWNG !!!, tha_dude u need to leave your daytime job and become an immigration expert you got it rite DUDE!, lol
Re: Us Citizen by debouy: 10:52am On Nov 27, 2008
What d'ya know.U have all d advise there.But i strongly advise against gettin married upon first meeting with ur spouse.Its could signal a red flag to d Consular. US Lagos consulate is saddled with a huge immigration fraud amd as such they treat every petition at first initially until proven to be a genuine relationship
Re: Us Citizen by Tegese: 11:14am On Nov 27, 2008
Tha_dude:

Just some few advise,
Give ur self a year for evidence gathering and another year for immigration protocol. If u rush it you re likely to fail in ur quest, if they find anything wrong in the application. You can't fool them at all so don't think it!. Make sure the lady comes to Nigeria atleast twice if not you will be put on administrative process if they don't find any reason to denial you, administrative process can be from 2 to infiniti years. Until u tell them u re no longer interested. Pray that ur names don't clash with names of wanted terrorist or wanted Nigerians who visited and committed crime in the past, don't forget till date most Nigerians apply for international passport with imaginary nigerian names especially drug peddlers and 419 peeps, even govt top official use imaginary names to cover their tracks of financial scam when they leave office because' of lack of identifiable ID card, an imaginary name to them could be someone else real names. Some people have names similarities that sometimes clash during background check with FBI in the USA although you will be cleared via ur finger print taken at the consulate, it will take a long time, a 6-8months wait will end up becoming 2yrs wait.
Also note that it is a wait game that require patience and the consular officer knows that too well, that is one of the reasons you can't outsmart them!, love can wait, the process will test ur patience to the max. to see if u understand that.

*One likely from ur end
*The other from her end.
*Has she ever lived on govt. benefits since 18? They don't want you to come to America and become a nuisance to the govt by living on govt benefits before u become a citizen. If she has done it before they might likely conclude on a reoccurance. If she has a long work history it will boost ur application.
don't waste ur time if she can't give u a simple straight answer to these questions. because' ur file will be summitted without any review and the next time she calls immigration they will tell her ur file is missing, a missing file is a sign of a red flag.
It is also advisable to use a lawyer because a silly mistakes while filing can send you back to square one!, don't forget its a waiting game based on a turn by turn basis if there is an error in ur filing ur file goes behind and line-up again.

So ask yourself do u have the patience?
Can both of u fund it so u don't dropout along the way.

On ur part you will need to privately go for HIV test, it will be a waste of time, money and patience if u don't know ur status now and the worst becomes a revealation during ur interview. Secondly, 10% deceitfulness would be erase from the visa officer if it is discovered that you have never applied for a visa to the USA in the past during record check. Your chat/phone call evidence must be large enough to convince the visa officer. If u claim to have known her for 1yr you should have weekly phone records and chat evidence for one yr to prove ur claim, all chat records must be printed out and submitted during ur application. Even tho! they might not read it. Remember they act on sensor more than documents. If they sense u are well prepared u will be successful during d interview.
God bless you, you're the real dude as you name says
Re: Us Citizen by Thadude(m): 7:55pm On Nov 27, 2008
Floridacar, Tegese, Magnate 02, thanks y'all.
Now he knows what he is up against, it not a bread and butter issue at all, the US immigration are aware that their system is not completely bullet proof, they also know that if they approve 10 fake marriages out of every 100 cases, its a pass mark for them. When the applicants finally comes to the USA, the system can finally disqualify another 8 during the 3yrs-5yrs wait for citizenship due to human error on the part of applicants like commiting a crime, infidelity, etc. Those are numerous traps used in weeding out fake marriage especially those unknown to US spouses. You can imagine the issue of HIV, if ur US spouse has HIV u wont be disqualified, but if u have it, You are automatically disqualified, Altho!, i learnt the US senate is working on revisiting the law that marginalises HIV victims soon which has been on since the 80s.
The system is made to protect its self by disqualifying the applicants even before they get to advance stage of their application.
hopefully he 'll make the hard decision and move on.

(1) (Reply)

Spanish Nationality By Origin / Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence / What Is The Easiest Route To Get To Ghana From Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.