Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,432 members, 7,923,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 11:15 AM

Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup (3588 Views)

Photo Benelin And Codein Syrup Abuse In Northern Nigeria. / Nigerians Dig Up, Eat Contaminated Chicken Buried By Customs In Rivers (Photos) / Dangers Of Taking Codine Cough Syrup By Mi Abaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by wunmilyn(f): 10:15am On Nov 28, 2008
dis is so sad, sad
i just wonder how the parent wil feels,
dis country self na only God go help us.

but to talk of it, is a doctor dat prescribe dis drug cos most people just go and buy drugs without the doctor's prescribtions.

i think many will learn from dis,
but so its so sad dat it has to be this little angels (RIP).
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by gentlegg(m): 10:20am On Nov 28, 2008
Is very painful how we keep losing lives in this country to fake & adulterated drugs/medicine. The company should be shut down while NAFDAC carries thorough investigation into the matter.

I have this opinion that sale of drugs/medicine in the open market, chemist, hawkers should be strictly banned in this country. Only qualified and NAFDAC authorised pharmaceuticals/pharmacists, hospitals should sell or administer drugs to anybody. Especially these illiterates selling drugs in the market. eg Onitsha 'ogbo ogwu'
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by kamalydeen(m): 11:48am On Nov 28, 2008
that one Na WA ooh shocked , make then no go use contaminated syrup kill our younger one finished , Abbi then no no say the are the leader of tomorrow
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by mujybite00: 11:56am On Nov 28, 2008
Mere from you name of the drug, It sounds fake, "My Pikin". I keep wondering how NAFDAC do their routine of work after authenticating some company and drugs. This should buckle NAFDAC up, in some lapse over issuance of registered products.

PLEASE SPREAD THE GOSPEL, "MY PICKIN" DEY KILL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by demmy000(m): 12:11pm On Nov 28, 2008
hi every one
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by angelina08(f): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2008
First in History, Nigerians Babies die from contaminated Syrup, Pls late the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration, let them shut down all Lagos-based manufacturer, Barewa Pharmaceuticals.

Before our babies contaminat true the syrup.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmm
the love of money is the root of all evil!
what wont men do for money? really sad
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by angelink2u: 4:51pm On Nov 28, 2008
Na wa o, May God help us in this Country in Jesus name!

Even the name of the drug (My Pikin) sounds so ridiculous. I can't just imagine myself buying such drug.

A proper investigation has to be done on that drug and the drug Manufacturing Comapany!
angry
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by AmakaOne(f): 5:12pm On Nov 28, 2008
This is too bad!!

Poor kids, and their families.

That Pharmaceutical Company must face the full wrath of the law!!!

We need to see the Fashola govt step up against this company Barena Pharmaceuticals.
This is a Lagos based company and we need to see Lagos Govt stepping up to the plate and showing the citizens of the state that they are not just talk and no action.

Using smuggled chemicals to make baby syrup? and a chemical to be used for plastics, just to save a few measly Naira and not buy the correct chemical for making the syrup?
What kind of sick minded person does something like that?

hmmm, we wait and see what will happen to this company sef.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by scottN(m): 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2008
Please where is Dora Akunyili? Haven't heard any news about her in a while.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Jelectric(m): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2008
this is soo sad,

i'm wondering what they are doing about this, what will be the penalty for this crime against nature!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by TOYOSI20(f): 9:43pm On Nov 28, 2008
It really is unfortunate, and very sad to hear sad
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by docmoh(m): 12:08pm On Nov 29, 2008
its sad, really sad that so many children had to die before this was picked up.this shows the collapse of the health system in this country. ordinarily the first case should have been reported to the ministry of health so that it would have been handled immediately and the drug withdrawn. unfortunately as with most medical conditions this is the tip of the iceberg as very few of the affected children would have been brought to the hospital.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by docmoh(m): 12:11pm On Nov 29, 2008
Another issue to discuss. Is there any scientific basis for the use of teething mixtures? why is NAFDAC registering them as drugs
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Kweenisha: 5:30pm On Nov 30, 2008
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup
« #13 on: November 27, 2008, 06:42 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People, nay, kids died and all you could think of is selling plasticine?  Are you an Ibo man?

delegiwa or whatever they call you,what has an Igbo man got to do with this?
You folks have started your tribalism again?
Stick to the topic and leave Igbos alone
If this medicine had been made at Aba or Onitsha,the responses would have been a whole lot different knowing some of you and how you all reason
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by adekaden(m): 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2008
me think say every body 4 dat company should die by hanging.
But wait a minute,what was NAFDAC doing when the company started production and distribution of this product.

GOD SAVE US 4 NAIJA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by shawn123: 9:18am On Dec 01, 2008
bluntpis:

hmmmmmmmmmmm
the love of money is the root of all evil!
what wont men/women do for money? really sad
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by shawn123: 9:23am On Dec 01, 2008
docmoh:

Another issue to discuss. Is there any scientific basis for the use of teething mixtures? why is NAFDAC registering them as drugs
Kweenisha:

Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup
« #13 on: November 27, 2008, 06:42 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

delegiwa or whatever they call you,what has an Igbo man got to do with this?
You folks have started your tribalism again?
Stick to the topic and leave Igbos alone
If this medicine had been made at Aba or Onitsha,the responses would have been a whole lot different knowing some of you and how you all reason

LOL, true that is a tribalistic statement, though in Naija when ever adultration of fake product is mentioned what first comes to mind is Igbo made. Its a bad reputation, though that is changing now, i know a lot of Ibos that wouldn't support something like that.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by reindeer: 11:08pm On Dec 01, 2008
The real story being missed here is the fact that KIDS DONT NEED TEETHING MIXTURES!!!!
When a child is ill, he/she is ill its not teething!!! I wonder where everyone came out from with the idea that kids must fall ill while trying to grow teeth.
They get sick around this time cos of many reasons
one is that this age is also when most get weaned off breask milk gradually and so are prone to food reactions and all
this is also the age where they start getting to sit alone and pick up all sorts whish they try to ingest
This is also the age at which their immune systems is undergoing some rapid changes by exposure to so many antigens

so dear parents( and would be parents) whenh your child is ill at any age, take em to see a doctor,tething is not an illness

may the souls of the departed angels rest in peace.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Kweenisha: 8:16pm On Dec 02, 2008
reindeer:

The real story being missed here is the fact that KIDS don't NEED TEETHING MIXTURES!!!!
When a child is ill, he/she is ill its not teething!!! I wonder where everyone came out from with the idea that kids must fall ill while trying to grow teeth.
They get sick around this time because of many reasons
one is that this age is also when most get weaned off breask milk gradually and so are prone to food reactions and all
this is also the age where they start getting to sit alone and pick up all sorts whish they try to ingest
This is also the age at which their immune systems is undergoing some rapid changes by exposure to so many antigens

so dear parents( and would be parents) whenh your child is ill at any age, take em to see a doctor,tething is not an illness

may the souls of the departed angels rest in peace.

You do remember your pediatrics well.
all the child needs is a clean teething ring to bite on and scratch his itching gum.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by tumfulu1: 1:26am On Dec 06, 2008
lmao hahahahahaha
somebody is selling plasticin hahahah
i trust my igbo brodas.
IGBO KWENU!
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Nobody: 1:36am On Dec 11, 2008
Ignorance is surely the worst disease on earth. First of all,a teething baby gets really uncomfortable and cries a lot,and yes,would definitely need teething mixture and a lot of extra care to ease the itchiness and a little pain. Secondly,ethylene glycol is toxic,but propylene glycol is considered to be a safe food additive and is used worldwide.it could have been a tragic,accidental substitution of one for the other and not a profit engineered substitution as the difference in price is not that significant,25 babies have died and everybody's throwing blame everywhere,nafdac is closing down the company,and arresting people, medicine after death.nafdac is supposed to test batches of drug BEFORE it gets into circulation,not after 25 children have died. I feel they are as much to blame as the company. Finally,if the children really died of acute renal failure,it's sad that nobody suspected the drugs sooner. May their souls rest in perfect peace. Amen!
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by Olabimpes: 2:53pm On Dec 12, 2008
I think this thing is getting out of hand, first let NAFDAC do something fast about it
alos i have one question to, THIS DRUG WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DOES IT HAVE
NAFDAC NO OR NOT, IF NOT FINE BUT IF YES WAS THE DRUG NOT SCREENED
BEFORE IT CAM EOUT TO THE MARKET.
Nigerians should pls ask NAFDAC this question.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by thehomer: 5:04pm On Dec 14, 2008
How did this get past NAFDAC? What are their testing procedures? This is baffling. This of course means that a NAFDAC number is useless since they've not come out to say their NAFDAC number was fake.
Re: Nigerians Babies Die From Contaminated Syrup by ayobase(m): 2:04pm On Jul 09, 2009
Quote from: ayobase on November 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
why wont this happen?
how wont it happen?

when about 24M is a senator`s
allowance within a month
and what is being allocated to
the health sector is about 5M a yr.

so tell me,
Niger?

Why must people yan off topic? Is there any country where doctors are richer than senators? Or is it the doctors making the drugs!!! Guy stay on point abeg.

#Og2711
U are such a slowpoke.
what concerns RICHNESS here
and who is talking about DOCTORS here.
Health sector, doctor?

(1) (2) (Reply)

From Fat To Fit 7 Secrets To Total Body Transformation / Dr. Gbujie Daniel Chidubem, Emerged The Winner Of The World Medical Association / 3 MAIN FUNCTIONS Of EDMARK Splina Liquid Chlorophyll 07087499733

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.