Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,524 members, 7,911,295 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 09:04 AM

An Insight Into Why Many Small Businesses Fail Or Never Grow In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Insight Into Why Many Small Businesses Fail Or Never Grow In Nigeria (639 Views)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria / PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Insight Into Why Many Small Businesses Fail Or Never Grow In Nigeria by KabukiSensei(m): 6:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
Today, I had a profound insight into a reason, I believe, is why most small businesses in Nigeria either fail or never grow in the degree or magnitude of their operations.
I had gone to a drycleaner on my street to iron a couple of shirts that I had already washed myself. I asked her if she had an express ironing option, as I was concerned about being able to get at least one of the shirts to wear the next day, and she affirmed that she, indeed, had an express ironing option which would just cost me a bit lesser than if I had gone to fully launder (wash and iron) my shirts there. I was a bit skeptical as she had ‘uhmmed’ and ‘ahhhed’ before finally saying that it was possible.
So I handed over the shirts and we agreed that I will get the shirts the next day. In fact, I asked if I should give her an extra day, but she told me I would get the shirts the next day. So the next day arrives and I stay home an extra hour later than I would just so I can get my shirts. I get to the cleaner’s and, lo and behold, the shirts were not ironed. In fact, she had just tossed them, in the same nylon that I had brought them, into a corner of the closet she kept cloths that had been brought in to be washed!
Now, what really stood out from this experience I had was not the obvious lack of good customer relations as she rudely told me that the shirts had not been ironed, nor was it the abject absence of a proper understanding of crisis management as she just gave me back my nylon bag to go figure out what to do with my shirts. No. The knowledge I took away from this experience was that most small businesses in Nigeria are quite content with a small level of operations and do not look at how an opportunity can give them a chance for expansion.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that simply because I, as a single customer, had asked for a particular form of service, a business person should create a department just to suit me. However, as a business-minded person, if that cleaning service were to be mine, I would have done the express ironing for that one person (even if it isn’t a service I usually render), and gone ahead to market that service to my other customers, some of whom it might have never occurred to them that they might be able to drop off their clothes and get them ironed the same day!
Yes some customers don’t mind having to wait 4 days to get their cloths laundered. However, there are some who would greatly appreciate it if they can get their favourite shirts back in a day or two and who wouldn’t mind paying a premium just to make that happen. You only have to make them aware that they can avail themselves of that service!
I believe that this analogy is something that can be applied to most small businesses in Nigeria. I admit that the Nigerian business environment can be quite challenging for SMEs (speaking as a small business owner myself), but, at the same time, we do not have to just restrict ourselves to that box. Most small business owners are quite content with just having a kiosk which guarantees a small return on investment that covers your overheads and keeps you afloat. Others are just concerned about just making money and never actually give a thought to the sort of value. Yes making profits is important when you run a business. However, we need to realise that profit is just one of the results of how we do what it is that we do. What should be paramount, in any business, is the provision of value, the creation of positive customer relations and the maintenance of customer loyalty. Provide value and people will definitely patronise your services. Provide more value, and people would not mind paying a premium for your services.
Re: An Insight Into Why Many Small Businesses Fail Or Never Grow In Nigeria by 40dogzz(m): 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2014
Yeah, taking about been smart & creative will give u edge over others.
Re: An Insight Into Why Many Small Businesses Fail Or Never Grow In Nigeria by 40dogzz(m): 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2014
Yeah, taking about been smart & creativity will give u edge over others.

(1) (Reply)

Contentious NITEL Acquisition Challenged In Court / 30 Employees Needed Urgently / Why Should You Start A Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.