Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,776 members, 7,935,293 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 06:32 AM

Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment (4515 Views)

Buhari Receives Dein Of Agbor Kingdom In State House Today (Photos) / Rivers State House Of Assembly Approve Loan Of N10billion To Wike / Buhari Worships At Imo State House Chapel (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by JEITO: 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2014
What would Mugabe or al-Assad, say about this lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Truckpusher(m): 6:48pm On Nov 21, 2014
Who listens to these empty noise making mofos? grin

CINEMA cheesy

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by MaziOmenuko: 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

Bruv, I honestly think the only point they made is: attention seeking. I believe only the House of Rep. has the sole right to impeach the President, with the Senate, to deliberate on (or is it different in naij cos a lot of things in naij defies logic?).

So, what point are they're making when they're inconsequential in the whole process?

APC folks aren't playing the chess game the right way.

Here in Nigeria, the individual state legislative house has to vote for or against the impeachment. If the federal house can get a good number of state houses to vote in favor of the impeachment (I think they need two-third of the 36 state houses) before they can proceed.

It may not be feasible considering our clime, but let it be on record that impeachment proceedings was started and some states voted in favor of it.

I still prefer we head to the polling stations and vote out this inept government rather than the ambiguous impeach$ent proceedings.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Kakpos: 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2014
leave otuoke boy o i beg
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
Largas:

ROTFLMAOgringrin at your words in bracket

Lmao...hence it's always difficult to agree with "logic" (mostly illogical toxic waste) behind what most folks posit on here, save for a very few. When you don't agree (which is the best thing to do), they'll keep troubling you, till you have no other choice to shout them down. Then the cries of "you think you know everything" beckons. grin
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

Lmao...hence it's always difficult to agree with "logic" (mostly illogical toxic waste) behind what most folks posit on here, save for a very few. When you don't agree (which is the best thing to do), they'll keep troubling you, till you have no other choice to shout them down. Then the cries of "you think you know everything" beckons. grin
Hahaha Sheeple. You barely post on here these days. Reality getting tougher?grin
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
MaziOmenuko:

Here in Nigeria, the individual state legislative house has to vote for or against the impeachment. If the federal house can get a good number of state houses to vote in favor of the impeachment (I think they need two-third of the 36 state houses) before they can proceed.

It may not be feasible considering our clime, but let it be on record that impeachment proceedings was started and some states voted in favor of it.

I still prefer we head to the polling stations and vote out this inept government rather than the ambiguous impeach$ent proceedings.

I might be wrong, but I think the state assembly members are different from the state representatives at the federal level.

Regardless, all the parties involved are nuts. If impeachment were APC's end game, the speaker should've remained in the ruling party as a fifth columnist without defecting...and engineer a move from that space. Party affiliations doesn't determine which motion you're going to support, or vote against. Then you've got a judiciary that's forever in comatose giving useless injunction. And an executive that's more authoritarian than anything democratic. The whole thing is mess, and a symptom of how weak the institutions are.

Anyway, they need to sort themselves out before everything blows in their faces.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 21, 2014
Largas:

Hahaha Sheeple. You barely post on here these days. Reality getting tougher?grin

Nah, the topics haven't been interesting of late. grin

It's back to reality and the real war is about to kick off. grin

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2014
@my post about everything defying logic.

Not taking shots at "omenka" - that's one of the very few posters I rate. He's one of the very few of the new heads who say the right things most times. The old ones don't post anymore.

Where eGuerrilla, Pukkah, and Katsumoto at?
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

Nah, the topics haven't been interesting of late. grin

It's back to reality and the real war is about to kick off. grin
Yaaga!!grin *fingers crossed*
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by MaziOmenuko: 7:37pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

I might be wrong, but I think the state assembly members are different from the state representatives at the federal level.

Anyway, they need to sort themselves out before everything blows in their faces.

Yes, the two offices are different, yet the constitution demands that in the case for impeachment of the president, the individual state houses of assembly will vote for or against the motion and a two-third majority votes will be required for the impeachment to be valid.

When I get home, I will check for the link and post it here. That is why it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a Nigerian president to be impeached.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
MaziOmenuko:

Yes, the two offices are different, yet the constitution demands that in the case for impeachment of the president, the individual state houses of assembly will vote for or against the motion and a two-third majority votes will be required for the impeachment to be valid.

When I get home, I will check for the link and post it here. That is why it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a Nigerian president to be impeached.

Thanks, bruv. Make sure you do - very enlightening.

And it makes it very difficult to impeach the president cos all the states in the federation have to vote. Too tedious and not worth the hassle. Whoever wrote the Nigerian constitution deserves to be shot dead! grin

They copied the US constitution and system of gov, yet failed to copy it the right way. It's like taking an exam, and being allowed to cheat, yet failing to copy the right thing - epic failure. grin
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by PhockPhockMan: 8:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
omenka:
Good!! Even though it is "impossible" to impeach a Nigerian president due to the cumbersome nature of the process, let the STATEMENT be made and let the history books bear the record of the process kick-started.

A point has been made. smiley
That what I've been lecturing APC e-thugs since yesterday that to initiate impeachment of the president is one thing, to accomplish it is entirely another long history.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Tokunbohkinibig: 8:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
mrofficial:
Good. Before the clueless fisherman turns himself to an emperor.

I can assure you that Jonathan would be killed like a fowl if he makes any attempt towards dat direction. I can put my money on dis
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Alleybuy(m): 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2014
It is impossible to impeach a sitting Nigerian president. Let's have a look at the various points of failure.
1. The house musters 2/3 majority. A few billions from one of the President's admirers would fizzle this out.
2. The senate follows suit with the house. (same as above)
3. The CJN is directed to raise a seven member panel (a pat on the back and the CJN would look the other way while nominating 7 admirers of Mr president to probe him)
4. Assuming the CJN hates Mr President and nominates 7 enemies to the panel (two oil blocks later and the panel members give him a clean bill of health. Impeachment is dead on arrival)
5. Extrajudicial means of enforcing compliance among the actors in the impeachment saga
6. A phantom bomb scare in the legislative chambers. House is locked till further notice.
7. Arrest of key actors in the debacle on trumped up charges or actual crimes hitherto committed.
8. The silent treatment.

I hope with these few points of mine I have been able to convince you that impeachment of a sitting president in Nigeria is not possible.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by jimmysho(m): 8:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
All these folks saying, why will a state assembly give nod to president impeachment? That is an act of ignorance of the letter and spirit if the constitution. For your information, 2/4 of the state assembly must ratify the decision of the national assembly before a president can be impeached. That is why it Is difficult to impeach a sitting President unlike a governor.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by taharqa: 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
jmaine:
Just imagine the futile foolishness of these localized legislooters . . . .grin
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
oh its even lagos state house of assembly I thought it was house of reps Mtcheew AWON ODE...is lagos state d only state in dis con3? NDI ARA YI SUIT.
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 21, 2014
ndcide:
We in Lagos know there is no legislature in Lagos state.

They are just bunch of party faithfuls Go to the streets of Lagos and ask any one about them you'll be shocked no one has a clue about them. If not for Ikuforoji' corruption case. you may never here of him and his men.

now see they are struggling for media space with Alhaji lie Mohammad.
cheesy wink
Damn hilarious
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by nationwide1(m): 11:09pm On Nov 21, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
LAGOS State House of Assembly has condemned the invasion of the House of Representatives complex by security operatives on Thursday, saying with that act, President Goodluck Jonathan was due for impeachment.

The Lagos Assembly, in a statement by its spokesperson, Honourable Segun Olulade, said “what we are witnessing is nothing but pure anarchy.

“The Federal Government controls the police and I can tell that such weighty order to bar Mr Speaker of House of Representatives and honourable members is a job beyond a divisional police head or a commissioner.

“The Inpector General of Police, acting on the order of the PDP-led Federal Government, must explain to Nigerians and, indeed, the whole world the circumstance behind withdrawal of Mr Speaker’s security aides and subsequent security threat on his life, as evident in the ugly development of Thursday.”

The assembly said one of the strong option open to the lawmakers at this point in time was to pave way for President Jonathan to be impeached, noting that recent spate of impunity being perpetrated under his nose were enough to relief him of his position.

http://tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/22128-jonathan-due-for-impeachment-lagos-assembly
What is breaking about this news? Is it the first time APC have plotted impeachment proceedings against Jonathan?
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by keyremotes(m): 11:11pm On Nov 21, 2014
[size=58pt]FUTURE IMPOSSIBLE TENSE! [/size]
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by atlwireles: 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2014
jmaine:
Just imagine the futile foolishness of these localized legislooters . . . .grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 22, 2014
Wonder shall never cease
These people don't even know their limits
Maybe they have already relocated the house of Representatives to alausa
Who knows
Even ur co-clueless fence-scaling reps at Abuja knw itz impossible
Re: Breaking: Lagos State House Of Assembly Approve Jonathan's Impeachment by idupaul: 1:02am On Nov 22, 2014
I as a citizen who once voted for GEJ approves his impeachment!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Israeli Warns Nigeria: No Harm Should Befall Nnamdi Kanu / Hinterland Ibos And The Misconception Of Bonny / 2023: Wike In Talks With APC, May Dump PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.