Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,924 members, 7,886,521 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:24 AM

Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). (2955 Views)

[deleted] / Top 10 Nigerian websites according to Alexa Rank / Nairaland's Alexa Web Ranking. What Is Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by zynzyn(m): 7:21pm On Nov 26, 2014
I have searchstatus add on installed in my mozilla.

I observed today that for the first time in about 6 months, NL has dropped out of the top 1000 websites on Alexa.

As NL is my second home online, I'm worried.

Make una dey post o!
shocked

How come there is no pulling ear icon? wink
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Shollay20(m): 7:31pm On Nov 26, 2014
I dont think anything concern nairaland with alexa ranking.....because people always visit nl everyday.....alexa is there for ranking not for traffic.........

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2014
Hahahahaha

Effect of Seun's many rules

Seun and pasqal don drive me n ma crew comot from the d forum

Dem just dey ban pipo any how for nothing

Afghaniland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Shollay20(m): 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2014
Yungwizzzy:
Hahahahaha

Effect of Seun's many rules

Seun and pasqal don drive me n ma crew comot from the d forum

Dem just dey ban pipo any how for nothing

Afghaniland

Hmmmmmmm
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by bigtt76(f): 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2014
Its high time we sanitize the forum and make it more lively befitting of its status as Naija's number one sad
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by africanaija: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2014
zynzyn:

I observed today that for the first time in about 6 months, NL has dropped out of the top 1000 websites on Alexa.

Make una dey post o!
shocked

In the beginning I wanted NairaLand to be in the top sites in the world n it has potential, but there 2 things Ive noticed which if continue NairaLand will continue to fall:

1. Threads which make the frontpage are not algorithmically controlled but are controlled by a certain moderator. Thus u have the same topics on the front page which are usually about relationships and very closely to misogny where you have certain guys dissing ladies just because they couldn't get some.

2. If someone posts something that NairaLand doesn't agree with, it is usually banned or censored. So more or less NairaLand has become of a tyrant than anarchist. I wont be amazed if in the future NairaLand has a certain type of people that make posts or anything on here, whereas everybody else has gone to something else. Sort of how Facebook took over MySpace or how Google took over Yahoo n AltaVista.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by WebHostingPal: 8:38am On Nov 27, 2014
zynzyn:

Make una dey post o!
shocked

This forum still has huge potential, but it's a shame that it's moderation is not positively effective. The web master community should be the most vibrant forum here due to it's technology factor, but not here in this case.

I used to spend alot of time in Nairaland before, but now not as much. For me personally, the webmaster area is a place of interest, but nothing webmastery grin about it at the moment, full of SPAM, it just feels like no one is minding it at all.

The popularity of any site can can quickly disintegrate and another one take over; MySpace vs Facebook is a good example of that.
So Nairaland mods in the Webmaster area need to up their game and give us something to come back for.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Elcemento(m): 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2014
Nairaland still rules jor! Seun no fear. Only if you know how many of my problems have been solved through nairaland and i'm sure it's still solving other people's problems as i type this.Nairaland has come to stay.

CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by luigiajah(m): 3:23pm On Nov 27, 2014
Lmao.. Topix.com. Making sense more than naira land since 2005.. Oya mods.. Una go ban me now
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Seun(m): 3:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
The recovery has started. But the 3 month average rank will continue to drop for a while.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by HARDDON: 3:54pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:
The recovery has started. But the 3 month average rank will continue to drop for a while.

In English? angry angry undecided
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Seun(m): 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2014
WebHostingPal:
I used to spend alot of time in Nairaland before, but now not as much. For me personally, the webmaster area is a place of interest, but nothing webmastery grin about it at the moment, full of SPAM, it just feels like no one is minding it at all.
I thought theadewasco2k has been working...
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
SO WHO SHALL WE BLAME?
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:

He's been really working on it
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by henryobinna(m): 5:27pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:

man, not just the webmaster section when some one stroll round the tech sections you'll see posts that are by no means related to tech... such posts should be deleted on creation.

next... work on your stubborn boy.. Anti-spam bot.... so many complains from different people(am included) about being banned unnecessarily...

if possible spell out the rules(anti spsmbot's) so people won't default.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 27, 2014
I think nairaland will fall soon... This part of the internet is over-controlled and favouritism is potrayed to some particular boards... i like the frontpage idea but not all users are romance freaks, celebrity worshippers or politicians some boards are hidden in the dark! to solve this issue, i want nairaland to not have any topics on the frontpage they should be links to the boards on the frontpage alongside latest post and last reply just like some top communities. that way nairaland will engage their users not show favouritism. i personally hate nairaland frontpage! i don't even type the hompage. i just nairaland.c0m/board_name

anyway, i get it, my opinion is not needed, nairaland is after traffic, bringing s0me certain p0st to frontpage will bring nairaland to a disarray. :-/

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Seun(m): 5:59pm On Nov 27, 2014
HARDDON:

In English? angry angry undecided
we are working on it
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by englishmart(m): 6:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
africanaija:

In the beginning I wanted NairaLand to be in the top sites in the world n it has potential, but there 2 things Ive noticed which if continue NairaLand will continue to fall:

1. Threads which make the frontpage are not algorithmically controlled but are controlled by a certain moderator. Thus u have the same topics on the front page which are usually about relationships and very closely to misogny where you have certain guys dissing ladies just because they couldn't get some.

2. If someone posts something that NairaLand doesn't agree with, it is usually banned or censored. So more or less NairaLand has become of a tyrant than anarchist. I wont be amazed if in the future NairaLand has a certain type of people that make posts or anything on here, whereas everybody else has gone to something else. Sort of how Facebook took over MySpace or how Google took over Yahoo n AltaVista.
there are only two people whose topics are 100% sure of fp. No matter how silly their threads are..

"Ishilov.e" and "therealmr.stan". Na WA o. They are discouraging others from creating threads.. Monopoly of fp.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:
seriously seun you really need to run adverts on yahoo and google, because even facebook still runs ad despite the fact that they stand out to be the 2nd largest site in the world.

Pardon me,i dont mean to degrade nairaland, but all i am trying to say is that nairaland needs to drop down to even 100alexa rank.....kudos sir seun you've always been my mentor.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by africanaija: 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
Naijazoom:
I think nairaland will fall soon... This part of the internet is over-controlled and favouritism is potrayed to some particular boards... i like the frontpage idea but not all users are romance freaks, celebrity worshippers or politicians some boards are hidden in the dark! to solve this issue, i want nairaland to not have any topics on the frontpage they should be links to the boards on the frontpage alongside latest post and last reply just like some top communities. that way nairaland will engage their users not show favouritism. i personally hate nairaland frontpage! i don't even type the hompage. i just nairaland.c0m/board_name

anyway, i get it, my opinion is not needed, nairaland is after traffic, bringing s0me certain p0st to frontpage will bring nairaland to a disarray. :-/

Definitely Agree. I think the front page should be judged by users who actually read the post and upvote certain articles that they like. I dont think articles should be on the front page just because somebody like a certain article.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by africanaija: 8:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:

Amen. Just please keep on trying and continue to do your best. May the life and universe bless you as you move up.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Shollay20(m): 9:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
Seun:
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by fleps(m): 9:50pm On Nov 27, 2014
The front page idea is a good idea. It is a forum and its uniqueness is that it has a front page. The front page helps to give you the 'important' stuffs at a glance. For example during hot era in Nigeria like Election, Protest or Political unrest, what I do is just logon to Nairaland and check the front page to get latest. This is better than going to the sections to look for news because spammers (like someone said) would have pushed it down and with spread and most times even to page 2. But the front page is longer and it takes days for topics to enter next page.

Seun here's what I'd advice:
Election is coming and Christmas is here. More people will be more engaged with the internet for news and good stuffs. Let your mods be ready for pushing those good and interesting stuffs to the front page and people will be engaged and will surely return.

As for the Alexa thing, I'm tempted to believe that more sites are rising with their traffic OR some coding has been done and it is responsible for it.
My website from about 1,900 (Nigeria) fell into 2,000 and then 2,500 and then 2,900. I added H1 tag to the header of my website and I fell more to 3,000 and then 3677. It kept falling. Then I removed the tags and worked on traffic (I advertised my articles on Facebook and shared them on LinkedIn) and now I'm 2,500 and I hope to improve daily.

Concerning the webmaster section thingy, the mods are working, but they need to work more. Some threads need to be closed the second it is opened E.G A thread reads "Learn how To Code WordPress bla bla" you open it and what do you see? just two words "contact me" so annoying!

Keep the good work on. One thing I'm sure of, Nairaland rules the land...!
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2014
I wonder how That Anti spam bot thingy works.

Anyways, I think Nairaland is still a great forum at the moment... But that doesn't mean the management shouldn't promote the site in all part of the world.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by dirolad(m): 6:53am On Nov 28, 2014
Nairaland front should not be news or gists alone, dere are other argumentative topics seun and im pipu can bring to the home page.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Djicemob: 7:42am On Nov 28, 2014
Only certain 3persons post makes the frontpage and that's so unacceptable and boring already. angry

One of those persons created a thread stating "Yoruba women have the biggest butts in nigeria" and it made the frontpage. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nmeri17: 10:20am On Nov 28, 2014
englishmart:
there are only two people whose topics are 100% sure of fp. No matter how silly their threads are..

"Ishilov.e" and "therealmr.stan". Na WA o. They are discouraging others from creating threads.. Monopoly of fp.

diarriz also lalasticlal.a and lmayedu.n
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by cbrass(m): 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2014
Jeez shocked if I open Babalawo shop I will sell oo shocked , I once predicted this and its already happening.

Now Mr Seun stop the idea of selective content for FP, then sack Ishilove or whatever her name is, direct lifting of contents from other site will kill this site gradually

Encourage ppl to write more for the site, probably you can do a get paid to write thing then add some few conditions to it so you do not loose but you gain more(I have a blue print for this if interested)

Some of us in our late twenties and upward are begining to loose interest in the site, no thanks to the barrage of shiity posts on FPs these days

Then try to work more on th look. Yea I know it maybe strenuous but remember what happened to yahoo and the complaints by users but it was too late

Then try to do some PR don't rely on your Oasis alone

Cheers Bro
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by j4sure(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2014
because if not tonto story na chika ike,or mercy jo story na dey tire pple now. After using own mb just to get faulty frontpagr

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnu.ng Got It Wrong With Nairaland.com / How To Make Money By Designing A Website? / What Happened To Www.vtpass.com -online Mobile Topup Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.