Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,103 members, 7,949,800 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 07:16 PM

Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey (4355 Views)

Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) / Why Does My Honda Accord 2005 Model Rev Itself Any Time I Start It. / Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey And Nissan Quest. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 02, 2014
Good morning all the pro in the house. Please I need ur help on my 2004 model Honda odyssey. The car drives fine within the city and at short distance travel, but when the travel exceeds 70km+, gear oil starts spillin in the engine, n the car begins to slow down even at high rev/min, most times I will have to buy ATF to top the already wasted gear oil, then the car comes back to normal again, then after some time it starts spillin again.

Please does anybody know the reason why (its an automatic transmission gearbox).

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 02, 2014
There must be linkage somewhere.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 02, 2014
Mrcdorv:
There must be linkage somewhere.
the first time it happened, a mechanic in the village where it stopped said he could not find any leakage anywhere, that it is the seal in the gearbox that's bad, that they will have to drop the gearbox and replace it. And when I managed it back to my house, I brought my own mechanic over who checked and said it was not the gearbox seal, then he said it was one hose that was not properly screwed in, then he screwed it properly. Two weeks later, I tried travellin again with the car and it parked me again at about the same spot it stopped the last time, so I had to manage n drive back home. So as it is I just don't know what else to think as the mechanic himself seems confused, cos he said there was no broken hose or any leakin anywhere. I taya
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 02, 2014
lrguru:
the first time it happened, a mechanic in the village where it stopped said he could not find any leakage anywhere, that it is the seal in the gearbox that's bad, that they will have to drop the gearbox and replace it. And when I managed it back to my house, I brought my own mechanic over who checked and said it was not the gearbox seal, then he said it was one hose that was not properly screwed in, then he screwed it properly. Two weeks later, I tried travellin again with the car and it parked me again at about the same spot it stopped the last time, so I had to manage n drive back home. So as it is I just don't know what else to think as the mechanic himself seems confused, cos he said there was no broken hose or any leakin anywhere. I taya
You have to look for a trusted mechanic.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 02, 2014
lrguru:
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
Mrcdorv:
he was recommended by someone, and they said he is the best
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by AutosBay(m): 4:52pm On Dec 04, 2014
The engine may develop an oil leak due to a porous engine block casting which can be rectified by jb welding. The repair procedure is dependent on where the leak is located.

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
AutosBay:
The engine may develop an oil leak due to a porous engine block casting which can be rectified by jb welding. The repair procedure is dependent on where the leak is located.
sir, the oil that leaks is gear oil (ATF) and not the normal engine oil. It only spills inside the (bonnet) engine when the car must have covered a distance of approx. 70km. It does not drop oil when parked, or driven around the town
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by disloman(m): 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2014
Mrcdorv:
word.gear seal is faulty.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 29, 2014
OP, go register on a Honda forum and read up.

I assure you that you won't be the first one that this has occurred to.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by fanex: 8:46am On Dec 29, 2014
please scan the car with a top grade scanner. do not listen to these road side mechanic who will tell you to remove the g ear and re-install it (looking for a big job). do not touch the gear until you are sure of what is wrong with it.

honda was not build with a country like Nigeria in mind. these cars are very sensitive and more prone to fault. unless you're able to buy a brand new Honda and sell it of it on its fourth year anniversary. The car will develop very annoying faults the shocks are body panel will rattle.. bottom line stay away from tokunbo or a naija used hondas.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by jchibueze: 9:09am On Dec 29, 2014
Hey, I had the same problem with same model of car, the problem was the transmission oil. What transmission fluid do you use? you have to drain it and flush 3 times as recommended by Honda, also use the honda ATF-DW1, it is available in the market. Don't use Dextron III, it's only for temporary use. The reason a lot of people have transmission failure problems is because they use the wrong fluid. Every car has its recommended trans-fluid. Even most mechanics don't know about this, it's so funny that a lot of them are the cause of most transmission failures. Imagine a mechanic working on a honda transmission and beside him is an ABRO transmission fluid. He has just damaged that transmission even before starting the engine. Always use your car manuals. I now do most of the fixing myself with the help of auto videos on youtube. I still advise you scan it. You can call me on 08034196697 for more info.

3 Likes

Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by DECOtech(m): 8:54am On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:
Good morning all the pro in the house. Please I need ur help on my 2004 model Honda odyssey. The car drives fine within the city and at short distance travel, but when the travel exceeds 70km+, gear oil starts spillin in the engine, n the car begins to slow down even at high rev/min, most times I will have to buy ATF to top the already wasted gear oil, then the car comes back to normal again, then after some time it starts spillin again.

Please does anybody know the reason why (its an automatic transmission gearbox).

Thanks

Where are you located?

I know what's wrong with your can and I can fix it. Meanwhile, reduce your usage of the car so as not to complicate issues.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2014
DECOtech:

Where are you located?

I know what's wrong with your can and I can fix it. Meanwhile, reduce your usage of the car so as not to complicate issues.
I live in Asaba in Delta state. Does the problem involve replacing the gearbox?
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2014
CityNG:
OP, go register on a Honda forum and read up.

I assure you that you won't be the first one that this has occurred to.
boss, how do I register in honda forum?
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2014
fanex:
please scan the car with a top grade scanner. do not listen to these road side mechanic who will tell you to remove the g ear and re-install it (looking for a big job). do not touch the gear until you are sure of what is wrong with it.

honda was not build with a country like Nigeria in mind. these cars are very sensitive and more prone to fault. unless you're able to buy a brand new Honda and sell it of it on its fourth year anniversary. The car will develop very annoying faults the shocks are body panel will rattle.. bottom line stay away from tokunbo or a naija used hondas.
thanks boss. Noted
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
jchibueze:
Hey, I had the same problem with same model of car, the problem was the transmission oil. What transmission fluid do you use? you have to drain it and flush 3 times as recommended by Honda, also use the honda ATF-DW1, it is available in the market. Don't use Dextron III, it's only for temporary use. The reason a lot of people have transmission failure problems is because they use the wrong fluid. Every car has its recommended trans-fluid. Even most mechanics don't know about this, it's so funny that a lot of them are the cause of most transmission failures. Imagine a mechanic working on a honda transmission and beside him is an ABRO transmission fluid. He has just damaged that transmission even before starting the engine. Always use your car manuals. I now do most of the fixing myself with the help of auto videos on youtube. I still advise you scan it. You can call me on 08034196697 for more info.
thanks bro. I've been using the normal ATF fluid with red container, they sell it about #500-#700. Will try to look for the one u recommended. Thank a lot. U are far too kind

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:

Thanks

you problem will easy to find exact were the oil is coming from by lifting the car on all wheels and drive (us we put it on the lift ramp and drive ) you will be able to pin point where the oil is coming from and decisions will made from what has been observed

check the ATF pipes to the radiator and from the radiator
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by DECOtech(m): 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:
I live in Asaba in Delta state. Does the problem involve replacing the gearbox?

No it doesn't.

Unless you have destroyed your transmission by driving it extensively in its poor state of health.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:
boss, how do I register in honda forum?

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/#/forumsite/20565
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Coldplay007(f): 4:48pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:
thanks bro. I've been using the normal ATF fluid with red container, they sell it about #500-#700. Will try to look for the one u recommended. Thank a lot. U are far too kind

Nothing like normal ATF.. google the recommended ATF for your vehicle and buy it..
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

you problem will easy to find exact were the oil is coming from by lifting the car on all wheels and drive (us we put it on the lift ramp and drive ) you will be able to pin point where the oil is coming from and decisions will made from what has been observed

check the ATF pipes to the radiator and from the radiator
will check it. But the oil only leaks after it must have covered a distance of approximately 70km at speed above 100-120km/h.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:
will check it. But the oil only leaks after it must have covered a distance of approximately 70km at speed above 100-120km/h.

roughly i think it leaks after a certain pressure .i.e certain number of Revs which in this case is between 100-120km/h

so when the car is up reach those speeds and see where the oil is coming from
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
OP I have a feeling you have too much transmission oil in your gear box, possibly y no one can find the leak. Please check level, And if over, drain until its at the right level.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by abatically(m): 8:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
lrguru:

You probably have too much atf in there. Check the level while car is idling and if over filed drain some.

Now to the most important part. What is normal atf? Any at u buy for 500- 700 naira is not the recommended type. Honda reccomends atf DW1 for ur car and anything else will damage ur transmission (that is if it has not been damaged already). Atf dw1 sells for between 2,500 - 3,000 naira per quart depending on where u buy it from and Honda atf dw1 is clearly written on it. Honda transmission does not tolerate any abuse, use the wrong fluid and kiss ur automatic transmission goodbye. Those cheap atf cannot stand the test while the transmission is hot. Yes transmissions get hot while ur car is working and only the recommended atf can stand that temperature.
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

roughly i think it leaks after a certain pressure .i.e certain number of Revs which in this case is between 100-120km/h

so when the car is up reach those speeds and see where the oil is coming from
Sir I do drive the car at speed 160 km/hr on some smooth road when travellin, and it only happens when u must have covered about 70km or 90km distance at high speed. It does not just happen anytime u get to 100-120km/hr. U must hve driven the car for about 45min or so on the express before u begin to experience it. I am beginnin to think its the transmission fluid that's the problem, Cos I drove it from Asaba to Enugu and back same day by september this year and nothin happened. This whole ish started when my brother helped me change the transmission fluid to dexiron III ATF fluid or so. Thanks
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2014
abatically:

You probably have too much atf in there. Check the level while car is idling and if over filed drain some.

Now to the most important part. What is normal atf? Any at u buy for 500- 700 naira is not the recommended type. Honda reccomends atf DW1 for ur car and anything else will damage ur transmission (that is if it has not been damaged already). Atf dw1 sells for between 2,500 - 3,000 naira per quart depending on where u buy it from and Honda atf dw1 is clearly written on it. Honda transmission does not tolerate any abuse, use the wrong fluid and kiss ur automatic transmission goodbye. Those cheap atf cannot stand the test while the transmission is hot. Yes transmissions get hot while ur car is working and only the recommended atf can stand that temperature.
this whole problem started when I changed the ATF fluid to Dexitron III ATF fluid that is sold at 500. The ones I do use before do sell at 3k. Will have to drain it out and use the original one. Cos when it starts spillin out oil, it smells burnt oil and that confirms that the ATF oil used cannot stand the heat. Thanks
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by DECOtech(m): 5:06pm On Jan 01, 2015
lrguru:
this whole problem started when I changed the ATF fluid to Dexitron III ATF fluid that is sold at 500. The ones I do use before do sell at 3k. Will have to drain it out and use the original one. Cos when it starts spillin out oil, it smells burnt oil and that confirms that the ATF oil used cannot stand the heat. Thanks

Na now u talk true.
The oil you are using now has a lower boiling point. Pls revert to ur old oil and if you still have leakages, you must change the oil pipes leading to your oil cooler cos your dextron III must have injured those pipes with heat n pressure
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 01, 2015
DECOtech:

Na now u talk true.
The oil you are using now has a lower boiling point. Pls revert to ur old oil and if you still have leakages, you must change the oil pipes leading to your oil cooler cos your dextron III must have injured those pipes with heat n pressure
thanks a lot bro, I'll do that ASAP
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by duke1: 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2015
for problems like that dealers wit the gear sensor so that wen it becomes too hot it starts to give out wrong signals therefore i will advise that u get ur gear scanned to knw exactly which one is bad cos it cld be the valve body,bad gear oil that has block the free flog plus its not a serious issue but can b wen u dnt attend to it and finally take it to a gear speciallist
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by justcallbuki(f): 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2015
AutosBay:
lolzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Please, I Need Help On My Honda Odyssey by justcallbuki(f): 6:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
fanex:

scan d car cos of oil spillage?these DIY pple won't kill us with laughter ooooo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Car To Upgrade To From EOD / Toyota Camry Begins Shipping Their Kekenapep Product To Nigeria / Honda Accord 2003 Gear Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.