Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,918 members, 7,945,967 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 10:18 AM

How To Choose The Perfect Christmas Gift For Your Friends And Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Choose The Perfect Christmas Gift For Your Friends And Family (589 Views)

Help Me Suggest Xmas Gift For My Mum And Dad / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Aunty Babyosisi's Token Christmas Gift For An Unemployed Youth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Choose The Perfect Christmas Gift For Your Friends And Family by Giftedgreen: 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2014
Getting the perfect gift for your love ones seems to be the most difficult aspect of the Christmas and New Year Period.

What should you get your father? Will they like your gift or not? Is your gift too cheap or too expensive? Would your partner read too much meaning to your gift? These questions and a thousand more would continuously wander in your head.

To most the Christmas and New Year period is a time to appreciate each other, a day to tell your loved ones that they are special to you.

This is your guide to getting the perfect holiday gifts for the special people in your life.

1. Your Gift Should Be Personal

Everybody on planet earth is totally different; we all have different likes and dislikes, one man’s meat is another man’s poison. The same principle applies to gifts, everybody has different tastes and it is your job to calculate what your loved ones would love for Christmas.

Your friends might help you with ideas but you are the only one who can get your family members the perfect gift.

So get a piece of paper, write out a list of things that your lover really like and find a way to bring out the gift that would make your lover smile for a whole week.

2. Your Gift Should Have A Story Behind It

Your loved would probably forget what you got them for Xmas in about a few months time, except when the gift is really memorable, and a gift is only memorable if it connects with your loved ones.

When choose a gift to your lover, you should ask yourself, how will I explain this gift to my father? What will I tell my sister is the reason behind buying this gift? You could say, “I bought this shoe for you because you’ve always wanted a black shoe” or “I bought this laptop battery for you because I noticed that your laptop battery doesn’t last long”

Remember, your reason must be a positive one, and flattering too. You DON’T want your explanation to be anything like, “I bought you this book on how to make friends because you don’t have any.” NO!

If you can’t think of a single positive, flattering reason why this particular gift is right for this specific person put it back on the shelf and walk away.

“You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.” ― Amy Carmichael

3. Your Holiday Gift Should Cost You

The rule is, the older the relationship, the more expensive the gift. We are not saying you should get them a car; neither are we saying you should get them a key-holder.

A gift does not have to be expensive for it to cost you. All you have to do is make sure that you are sacrificing something for Christmas Day.

The sacrifice must not be money; it could be your time, your creativity, or any huge sacrifice that would make your loved ones know that you really want them to know they mean a lot to you.

4. Don’t Buy A Gift Just Because You’d Like To Have It Yourself

When you are buying a gift, remember it is not about you. Do not buy a gift because you like that gift, but because your loved ones would like it.

You might end up buying a gift which your loved ones would never put to use, or put to use out of pity and or compulsion.

Nobody wants that.

5. Watch Out For Gift Ideas

Buy this time you should be paying close attention to everything your loved ones are saying. This is because if you are lucky enough you might hear them say something like “One of these days, i would REALLY love to buy a _______(fill in the blank)”. That, my friend, is your gift idea.

If you are unable to get any gift idea out of them, as their friends and family what they’d like. The next time you visit your loved ones, pay attention to what is missing in their home

6. When All Else Fails

After reading this, and you cannot decide on what to get your loved ones, you should just ask them what they would really like for this Holiday Season, yes, just ask.

It is better for your loved to choose his/her Christmas/New Year gift, than for you to get them a horrible gift.

“It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” ― Mother Teresa

Conclusion

Keep in mind that the love and affection with which you are gifting is more important than cost of the gift. So don’t fuss over it too much

What is the best/worst Christmas gift you have ever received. Let us know in the comment section below.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/02/12/how-to-choose-the-perfect-christmas-gift-for-your-family-and-friends/

(1) (Reply)

28 Internet Acronyms Every Parent Should Know / Man Calls Police To Tell Them His Wife Stole His Cocaine, Gets Arrested Instead / Please Who Can Tell Me The Name Of This Subject?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.