Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,405 members, 7,901,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:01 AM

Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? (3612 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 9:53am On Dec 09, 2014
One of the most common reasons skeptics reject the existence of God is due to the presence of evil in this universe. They reason that a perfect God would not create a universe in which evil exists. Skeptics claim that since God created everything that God must have also created evil. They even cite Bible verses, such as:

'' I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace,
and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
( Isaiah 45:7, KJV)''

'' Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people
not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the
LORD hath not done it? ( Amos 3:6, KJV)''

'' Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not
evil and good? ( Lamentations 3:38)''

However, evil is not really a created thing. You can't
see, touch, feel, smell or hear evil. It is not one of
the fundamental forces of physics, nor does it consist of matter, energy, or the spatial dimensions of the universe. Still, skeptics like to claim that God created evil and cite the Bible to "prove" their point. The Bible is quite clear that God is not the author of evil and insists that He is incapable of. doing so.

Skeptics love the KJV so much, one would think that
they were still back in medieval England. Use of this
translation is problematic these days, since it uses an archaic version of modern English, which doesn't
necessarily mean the same things today as when it
was translated over 400 years ago. In addition, the
KJV was produced using a limited number of
medieval manuscripts that did not represent the
earliest Alexandrian set of manuscripts.

WHAT DO THE MODERN TRANSLATION SAY?

1.Isaiah 45:7.
The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the
LORD who does all these. ( Isaiah 45:7, NASB)
I form the light and create darkness, I bring
prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all
these things. ( Isaiah 45:7, NIV)
Isaiah 45:7 contrasts opposites. Darkness is the
opposite of light. However, evil is not the opposite of peace. The Hebrew word translated "peace" is
shampoo, which has many meanings, mostly related
to the well being of individuals. Râ‛âh, the Hebrew
word translated "evil" in the KJV often refers to
adversity or calamity. There are two forms of the
word. Strong's H7451a most often refers to moral
evil, whereas Strong's H7451b (the form used here)
most often refers to calamity or distress. Obviously,
"calamity" is a better antonym of "peace" than "evil."
2.Amos3:6.
If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people
tremble? If a calamity occurs in a city has not the
LORD done it? ( Amos 3:6, NASB)
When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people
tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the
LORD caused it? ( Amos 3:6, NIV)
Likewise, Amos 3:6 uses the same word, râ‛âh,
referring to calamity or disaster. the context (a
disaster happening to a city) does not refer to moral
evil.
3. Lamentations 3:38
Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both
calamities and good things come? ( Lamentations
3:38, NIV)
Is it not from the mouth of the Most High That both
good and ill go forth? ( Lamentations 3:38, NASB)
The King James Version of Lamentations 3:38 seems
to suggest that God speaks both good and evil.
However, if one reads the verse in context, the
preceding verses indicate that God does not do or
approve of evil. The verse following indicates that
people should not complain in view of their sins.
What the verse really is saying that God decrees
times of good things and times of judgment.
Lamentations was written by Jeremiah during a time
of judgment, when Judah had gone off into exile.
Jeremiah was chosen by God to be the prophet to
tell Judah to reform or be judged. The people did
not believe Jeremiah, and, therefore, fell under
God's judgment. In Lamentations 3:38, the word
translated "good" is ṭôb (Strong's H2896). The word
usually refers to good things as opposed to bad
things. Again, râ‛âh does not refer to moral evil, but
calamities, in this verse. Likewise, the Bible
commentaries indicate that the verse refers to God's
judgment based upon people's sin
Conclusion;
God is not the author of evil. However, God does
reward and punish on the basis of good and bad
behavior. Therefore, God does bring judgment and
calamity (either directly or through human
authorities) on those who rebel. God will ultimately
judge all people, since rebels will not be allowed in
the new, perfect creation.

2 Likes

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 09, 2014
[Size=50pt]no[/size]
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 9:37am On Dec 12, 2014
malvisguy212:
One of the most common reasons skeptics reject the existence of God is due to the presence of evil in this universe. They reason that a perfect God would not create a universe in which evil exists. Skeptics claim that since God created everything that God must have also created evil. They even cite Bible verses, such as:

the fundamental forces of physics, nor does it consist of matter, energy, or the spatial dimensions of the universe. Still, skeptics like to claim that God created evil and cite the Bible to "prove" their point. The Bible is quite clear that God is not the author of evil and insists that He is incapable of. doing so.

translation is problematic these days, since it uses an archaic version of modern English, which doesn't

opposite of light. However, evil is not the opposite of peace. The Hebrew word translated "peace" is
evil.
Conclusion;
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Unluvable(f): 10:55am On Dec 12, 2014
Is it in any dimension possible that as humans we can stop the whole bickering on our belief and just view the universe.
Using this very consciousness that is bestowed on us.

in my years of being human all I've seen is that whoever or whatever was responsible for this observable universe destroys all that's created. destruction is an important part of creation and critical in recycling.

it goes on and on with no interference. this is what life is all about. you and I find ourselves in the middle of it all, somewhere in history. your questions, your convictions is not going to change anything! it doesn't change that a baby somewhere is born with a defeat or that beautiful mountain is boiling up magma that will erupt leaving a comatose trail or that breathtaking ocean you are in awe of is making up a cyclone.

and this will go on and on till we complete our degenerative cycle putting an end to our consciousness. we'll all go back to how we were before we became aware.

and finally one day, when the earth finally decide to end the cycle. no one will be left to debate on how we got here and why we are here

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 11:04am On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:
Is it in any dimension possible that as humans we can stop the whole bickering on our belief and just view the universe.

in my years of being human all I've seen is that whoever or whatever was responsible for this observable universe destroys all that's created. destruction is an important part of creation and critical in recycling.

it goes on and on with no interference. this is what life is all about. you and I find ourselves in the middle of it all, somewhere in history. your questions, your convictions is not going to change anything! it doesn't change that a baby somewhere is born with a defeat or that beautiful mountain is boiling up magma that will erupt leaving a comatose trail or that breathtaking ocean you are in awe of is making up a cyclone.

and this will go on and on till we complete our degenerative cycle putting an end to our consciousness. we'll all go back to how we were before we became aware.

and finally one day, when the earth finally decide to end the cycle. no one will be left to debate on how we got here and why we are here
are you a christian?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Unluvable(f): 11:16am On Dec 12, 2014
malvisguy212:
are you a christian?
of what reason does that matter?
oh sorry I forgot- I have to be one to get some sort of approval and attain eternal bliss

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by johnydon22(m): 11:25am On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:

beautiful answer my dear...
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by lastmessenger: 11:37am On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:

Great post. The only thing is that I tell myself is no book has given a vivid explanation as to why evil exist therefore i choose to ignore those thought and move on with my life believing in God who knows all.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 11:57am On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:

of what reason does that matter?
oh sorry I forgot- I have to be one to get some sort of approval and attain eternal bliss
ok, it a choice' you believe or you reject. Thank you for your time.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2014
lastmessenger:

Great post. The only thing is that I tell myself is no book has given a vivid explanation as to why evil exist therefore i choose to ignore those thought and move on with my life believing in God who knows all.
evil must exist for man to have an option to love or hate God. God will not gives us partial freewill.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2014
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by frank317: 4:20pm On Dec 12, 2014
Well done in your quest to clearify your God of his madness
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2014
You guys were running rampant , to and fro. Shouting God created evil, seeking who to devour and confusing innocent christians, hope you all have know the truth , God did not create evil but allow evil to exist for human to have option to love or hate God.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by frank317: 5:05pm On Dec 12, 2014
malvisguy212:
You guys were running rampant , to and fro. Shouting God created evil, seeking who to devour and confusing innocent christians, hope you all have know the truth , God did not create evil but allow evil to exist for human to have option to love or hate God.

Yes you have exposed us to the truth. Whenever we read the bible, we should translate the language there in to align with whatever we feel. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by davien(m): 5:22pm On Dec 12, 2014
Yup..."god" is not the "author of evil"....it just allows it to happen.
Might I remind you of Job,whom "god" allegedly allowed his children be killed only to give him "brand new kids" as though children are commodities? shocked
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Unluvable(f): 5:30pm On Dec 12, 2014
davien:
Might I remind you of Job,whom "god" allegedly allowed his children be killed only to give him "brand new kids" as though children are commodities? shocked
grin
davien:

job's story is very disturbing...we are pawns in the great game of chess between the almighty and his adversary. alas! the almighty will always checkmate after much pawns have been kicked out.
what a great news!
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2014
davien:
The devil caused Job’s troubles (Job 1:12; Job 2:6-7).
But Job did not know this fact. So Job thought that
God caused the problems (Job 19:1-12). In fact, God
did not cause Job’s troubles. God merely permitted
Job to suffer. Still, Job trusted God. And Job refused
to insult God (Job 2:9-10).
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by johnydon22(m): 8:41pm On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:

Ermm...not really into that. nothing personal.
hope that's okay

hahahaha owk
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by johnydon22(m): 8:42pm On Dec 12, 2014
Rilwayne001:

Stylishly asking for her number grin grin
wetin man go do na... grin
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Jack65: 8:57pm On Dec 12, 2014
malvisguy212:

How about Freewill?? Does it have any of those attributes? But you claim God created it, no?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 9:18pm On Dec 12, 2014
Unluvable:

That doesn't answer the question the OP posted
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 9:18pm On Dec 12, 2014
Jack65:
[b][/b]

How about Freewill?? Does it have any of those attributes? But you claim God created it, no?
God gives us the freewill to choose.you are saying diff thing here,anyway,thank you for your time.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 9:25pm On Dec 12, 2014
lastmessenger:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist? Darkness exist because of the absence of Light. Evil exist because of the absence of God. God did not create evil. When you remove God's moral standards: you have a solid framework for evil.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 7:42am On Dec 13, 2014
Unluvable:
grin

job's story is very disturbing...we are pawns in the great game of chess between the almighty and his adversary. alas! the almighty will always checkmate after much pawns have been kicked out.
what a great news!
Another reason for rejecting God (choosing atheism),
is a willing acceptance of satanic deception.

The angel Lucifer (“luminous one”) fell and became
Satan (“adversary”) due to his desire to supplant God.
This was Lucifer’s single-minded obsession.
He not only rejected God by attempting to supplant
Him, but he urged humans to do likewise. Satan
urged Eve to choose against God for her own self-
fulfilment:
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You
shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the
woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit
of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall
not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of
the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’”
But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not
surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it
your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God,
knowing good and evil.” ( Genesis 3:1-5 ESV).
LET US ANALYZ THIS VERS;
The tactic is clear: firstly, question God’s statements, then, contradict God’s statements and, finally, urge rebellion in seeking equality with God.
This manifests in atheists as;
1. Questioning whether there is a God to make
statements in the first place, so God did not say
anything.
2. Contradicting the statements said to have been
spoken by God.
3. Seeking equality with God by replacing God with
the self.
This satanic deception appeals strongly to atheists as
it bolsters two of their desired delusions:
1) absolute
autonomy—being free to do as they please, and 2)
the lack of ultimate accountability—there are no
eternal consequences for doing as they please.

Look at Satan's reason for rebelling against God. It's
not that he doesn't recognize that God is greater than he is. He does. It's just that he doesn't want to play by anybody else's rules. This idea that it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven is Satan's motto, and it turns out that this is also the motto of contemporary atheists such as Christopher Hitchens.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by BrightEye(m): 8:36am On Dec 13, 2014
slyfox5555:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist? Darkness exist because of the absence of Light. Evil exist because of the absence of God. God did not create evil. When you remove God's moral standards: you have a solid framework for evil.

This is the most covincing answer. I wonder why it is so difficult to understant this in life full of natural languages of truth.

Dude, this one is right.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 12:03am On Dec 14, 2014
malvisguy212:

evil.
Conclusion;
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Weah96: 3:05am On Dec 14, 2014
slyfox5555:

Except darkness is the absence of VISIBLE light only. There are still photons moving around, undetected by the light sensitive cells in our eyes. So technically, there's a lot of light even in pitch black darkness.

There are places in our natural world where darkness is separated from light, by FORCE. Those places are called event horizons. If you find yourself visiting one of these places, don't forget to remember that you're already DEAD. Hahaha.

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 3:24am On Dec 14, 2014
Weah96:

Except darkness is the absence of VISIBLE light only. There are still photons moving around, undetected by the light sensitive cells in our eyes. So technically, there's a lot of light even in pitch black darkness

I don't disagree. The fact is we can measure light but darkness; we can't. So, where there is no light i.e. where we can't measure light; then darkness exist

There are places in our natural world where darkness is separated from light, by FORCE. Those places are called event horizons. If you find yourself visiting one of these places, don't forget to remember that you're already DEAD. Hahaha.

Interesting ......

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 7:10am On Jan 09, 2015
malvisguy212:
ok, it a choice' you believe or you reject. Thank you for your time.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2015
Unluvable:

Are you addressing the OP or creating another thread? Sounds to me like the latter (no offence)

johnydon22:

beautiful answer my dear... please can we talk more... send me a message on whatsapp 08147060538

Lol... No wonder the answer was beautiful because she didn't even as much as scratch the OP. (Laugh it off)

malvisguy212:

God did not create evil, God allows it... Hmmm... I think the latter is as bad as the former.

Then again, why would God punish humans for using the gift of free will that it (God) gave them? If it (God) doesn't want man to use it, why the hell did it give it anyway? That is one terrible moral model.

With the present state of the universe, an anthropomorphic God would always contradict itself. If God exists NOBODY understands it and religious people would do themselves and their God a favor if they stop trying to logicize their God's presumed actions and intentions.

You are not doing your God any favor by anthropomorphizing it. You are just making it more vulnerable to successful attacks and disprovals.

I agree though, God (if it exists) couldn't have created evil. But, you'd be begging the question if you said it allows evil. If the existence of something hasn't been proven any action by that thing is invalid. I can't say "I don't know if the tooth fairy exists but, I'm very sure it took my tooth when I was a kid." That's nonsense

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? / Pentecostal Churches And Our Lord's Prayer. / Which Church Represents True Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.