Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,151 members, 7,890,886 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:04 PM

What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? (4130 Views)

The Life And Times Of 'Jesu Oyingbo' (Jesus Of Oyingbo) / What Is The Book Of Enoch And Should It Be In The Bible? / Decoding The Visions In The Book Of Daniel (Islam in the Bible) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:35pm On Dec 10, 2014
Mentioned in Philippians and throughout Revelation, what is the Book of Life, and how do we get in it?

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 10, 2014
How do I keep my name out of it? I do not want to make heaven. Please, help me.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 7:07pm On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Mentioned in Philippians and throughout Revelation, what is the Book of Life, and how do we get in it?

ola my friend. . .do your research well. . .moses spoke of the book of life,daniel too.

anyways,book of life is a book with names of all who is born into this world. the bible only spoke how a name is taken out,but not expressly how it gets in.

john gave us a hint on how a name gets in, and in the book of revelations,he speaks on how it is taken out.

in summary,your name got in the day you were born into this world,it never leaves it till you die in sin. this is contrary to what some teach,they claim a name is written when you get born again,and cleaned when you sin,and written again when you are forgiven,and the cycle continues.

whosoever dies in sin is blotted out,same is cast into the lake of fire.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ayoku777(m): 9:44pm On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I too believed everyone's name was in the book of life from their birth; and then removed or blotted out when and after they die without faith in Christ. Or it is blotted out when they are presented with the gospel of Christ and they formally reject it.

But some compelling scriptures, changed that opinion to some extent.

Rev 13v8 -And all that DWELL UPON THE EARTH shall worship, WHOSE NAMES ARE NOT WRITTEN in the book of life of the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

In this verse, these people are alive and well and "dwell upon the earth", and their names are not in the book of life.

Meaning you don't have to leave the earth first or die to have your name UNWRITTEN in the Book of life.

Rev 17v8 -The beast that thou sawesth was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world.

This verse too said something similar;

"They that dwell on the earth" ...."whose names were not written in the book of life".

But it added something extra

"Whose names were not written in the book of life FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD."

Meaning their names were NEVER in the book of like; and they did not get it written there.

Then this third verse;

Rev 3v5 -He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I WILL NOT BLOT OUT HIS NAME OUT OF THE BOOK OF LIFE, but will confess his name before my Father and before His angels.

This verse proofs names written can be blotted out.

These three verses make some points obvious:

1: Someone's name is not necessarily written in the book of life at the point of birth.

2: Someone's name can be unwritten or blotted out of the book of life even before death.

3: Someone who had his name written in the book of life can have it blotted out.

Although these points leave some questions unanswered.

Like; If some people's names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the earth; were there people whose names were written from the foundation of the earth? If yes, why?

Then, if giving your life to Christ and putting your faith in Him is how you get your name in the book of life. How did people get their names in the book of life under the old covenant, before Christ? Because Moses asked God to blot out his name from his book. Meaning his name was in the book of life
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 10:45pm On Dec 10, 2014
^^
You've got some point bro... I looked at the NLT and concluded thus, there are two different books.

And all the people who belong to this world worshiped the beast. They are the ones whose names were not written in the Book of Life before the world was made--the Book that belongs to the Lamb who was slaughtered.

1. Those who are not Christians have not their name in the "book of life of the Lamb," but worship the beast, that is, pay allegiance to him.

2. It is "the book of life of the Lamb," because it is through "the Lamb" that there exists a "book of life" for men.

The verse above, Reve 13:8 is refering to Christians, remember revelation said BOOKS were opened during the judgement, we know there's the book of remembrance, etc. Now the book of life of the lamb is a special book for Christians, while there was another for folks like Moses who weren't.

I want to learn this more, thanks buddy. You did great

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by mbaemeka(m): 11:20pm On Dec 10, 2014
Revelation 20:12 KJV

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

There is more than one book. This verse above says the dead were judged out of those things which were written in THE BOOKS which was according to their works. It is different from the BOOK of life that was described as another and kept aside.

I believe the book of life, the lambs book of life, the book of rememberance, the book that has our tears (David mentioned) or the strands of our hair (Jesus mentioned) are amongst the various books.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 6:39am On Dec 11, 2014
mbaemeka:

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

There is more than one book. This verse above says the dead were judged out of those things which were written in THE BOOKS which was according to their works. It is different from the BOOK of life that was described as another and kept aside.

I believe the book of life, the lambs book of life, the book of rememberance, the book that has our tears (David mentioned) or the strands of our hair (Jesus mentioned) are amongst the various books.

Round of applause.

Excellent write up
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 11, 2014
ayoku777:

I too believed everyone's name was in the book of life from their birth; and then removed or blotted out when and after they die without faith in Christ. Or it is blotted out when they are presented with the gospel of Christ and they formally reject it.

But some compelling scriptures, changed that opinion to some extent.

Rev 13v8 -And all that DWELL UPON THE EARTH shall worship, WHOSE NAMES ARE NOT WRITTEN in the book of life of the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

In this verse, these people are alive and well and "dwell upon the earth", and their names are not in the book of life.

Meaning you don't have to leave the earth first or die to have your name UNWRITTEN in the Book of life.

Rev 17v8 -The beast that thou sawesth was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world.

This verse too said something similar;

"They that dwell on the earth" ...."whose names were not written in the book of life".

But it added something extra

"Whose names were not written in the book of life FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD."

Meaning their names were NEVER in the book of like; and they did not get it written there.

Then this third verse;

Rev 3v5 -He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I WILL NOT BLOT OUT HIS NAME OUT OF THE BOOK OF LIFE, but will confess his name before my Father and before His angels.

This verse proofs names written can be blotted out.

These three verses make some points obvious:

1: Someone's name is not necessarily written in the book of life at the point of birth.

2: Someone's name can be unwritten or blotted out of the book of life even before death.

3: Someone who had his name written in the book of life can have it blotted out.

Although these points leave some questions unanswered.

Like; If some people's names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the earth; were there people whose names were written from the foundation of the earth? If yes, why?

Then, if giving your life to Christ and putting your faith in Him is how you get your name in the book of life. How did people get their names in the book of life under the old covenant, before Christ? Because Moses asked God to blot out his name from his book. Meaning his name was in the book of life
Yeah, i guess it has predestination written all over it. I believe Adam is in heaven, Abel, Seth with the rest of the patriachs. Not so with cain and esau.We will be shocked at the folks we will see when we get to heaven. The bible has election written all over it.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 7:45am On Dec 11, 2014
Bidam:
Yeah, i guess it has predestination written all over it. I believe Adam is in heaven, Abel, Seth with the rest of the patriachs. Not so with cain and esau.We will be shocked at the folks we will see when we get to heaven. The bible has election written all over it.

Hahhahhaahaahhaahahaha

I believe so too
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by arcdone(m): 9:10am On Dec 11, 2014
Ok broda, when yhu sin u said ur name will b eraze,wht happen wen u ask for 4givnez? Ur name will b fic back, or wht?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 9:14am On Dec 11, 2014
arcdone:
Ok broda, when yhu sin u said ur name will b eraze,wht happen wen u ask for 4givnez? Ur name will b fic back, or wht?

No one said that here...I said some preach it, but they are wrong about it.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ayoku777(m): 9:59am On Dec 11, 2014
You're very correct. I also believe in predestination. Predestination is "Pre-ordained Destination." And it is God's predeterminate will for someone or something. Predestination is very scriptural and it is talked about or implied in many verses.

Romans 8v29 -For whom He did foreknow, He also did PREDESTINATE to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first born among many brethren.

Ephesians 1v5 -Having PREDESTINATED us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.

Ephesians 1v11 -In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being PREDESTINATED according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will.

Ephesians 2v10 -For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, WHICH GOD HAD BEFORE ORDAINED that we should walk in them.

Even so, I've also noticed from scriptures that predestination is not cast in iron, in other words, it is not super-imposed.

Even in predestination man still reserves the freewill and power of choice to submit to it or to go his own way.

And there are examples of those who submitted and those who didn't.

Jesus is called the lamb "slain from the foundation of the world" in Rev 13v8.

Meaning His sacrificial death was predestined and pre-determined.

Also in 1Peter; it shows that his death and the shedding of His blood was FOREORDAINED.

1Peter 1v19-20 -But with the precious blood of Christ, as of the lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was FOREORDAINED before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.

But even though Christ's suffering and death was foreordained before the foundation of the world; He still said in Matthew 26v53 -

Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and He shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Meaning if Jesus had changed His mind about dying and requested to be rescued, the Father would have granted His request, even though it would have been contrary to what was foreordained.

Jesus still reserved the freewill and power to choose otherwise. He voluntarily submitted to predestination; it wasn't super-imposed on Him.

The bible also said indirectly in Rev 17v8 that names are unwritten (or written) in the book of life since the foundation of the earth (which implies to preordained unto eternal life).

But then, Jesus also warned in

Rev 3v5 -He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life...

Jesus doesn't make threats, He just tells the truth as it is.

If your name being in the book of like, means you will make it no matter what, Christ will not warn us against doing something that will blot out our names.

The scripture shows that names written in the book of life can still be blotted. A man foreordained unto eternal life can by his own choices blot his own name out of the book of life. Predestination is not super-imposed or cast in iron.

Even Judas was foredained to sit on thrones and judge with the twelve in the age to come, according to Jesus.

Matthew 19v28 -Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me; In the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of His glory, ye also (Judas inclusive) shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Judas was still among the twelve when Jesus made this statement. But we all know what happened to Judas, he, by his own choice, went his own way -the way of perdition.

So much so that Jesus said concerning him, that it would have been "good for that man if he had not been born. (Matthew 26v24)

These scriptures and a few others like it, show me that predestination is not cast in iron or super-imposed. Meaning it is possible for a man by his choices to refuse to accomplish or attain to something he was predestined for; something he was foreordained unto since the foundation of the earth to do, receive or attain.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 10:03am On Dec 11, 2014
Shame

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by davien(m): 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2014
mbaemeka:

If the dead are judged by their works,what now happens to those who did not witness the "good news" and did bad things?...."hell"?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2014
ooman:

Shame

Shame on the devil.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Gombs(m): 7:05am On Dec 17, 2014
davien:
If the dead are judged by their works,what now happens to those who did not witness the "good news" and did bad things?...."hell"?

They'd be judged by their conscience, for every society has been guided by laws of good and evil.

Romans 2:14-16
MSG
16When outsiders who have never heard of God's law follow it more or less by instinct, they confirm its truth by their obedience. They show that God's law is not something alien, imposed on us from without, but woven into the very fabric of our creation. There is something deep within them that echoes God's yes and no, right and wrong. Their response to God's yes and no will become public knowledge on the day God makes his final decision about every man and woman. The Message from God that I proclaim through Jesus Christ takes into account all these differences.

You my friend, nor any other have no excuse(s) smiley

Atheist claim their morality os based on reasoning, from the above, we see that God's law is not something alien, but we're hardwired with it from creation.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by davien(m): 7:29am On Dec 17, 2014
Gombs:

They'd be judged by their conscience, for every society has been guided by laws of good and evil.
So of what use is faith in "jesus" if its irrelevant?...

Romans 2:14-16
MSG
16When outsiders who have never heard of God's law follow it more or less by instinct, they confirm its truth by their obedience. They show that God's law is not something alien, imposed on us from without, but woven into the very fabric of our creation. There is something deep within them that echoes God's yes and no, right and wrong. Their response to God's yes and no will become public knowledge on the day God makes his final decision about every man and woman. The Message from God that I proclaim through Jesus Christ takes into account all these differences.
Your "god's law" advocates slavery,the denigration of women,bigotry,racism,the stoning of unruly children,killing of homosexuals and alleged witches etc...those are not ethical concepts in the slightest bit of reasoning....nor are prone to revision...this is why humans make laws,not "god/gods"..

You my friend, nor any other have no excuse(s) smiley
So instead of facing your challenged beliefs you hide under the straw man that I am merely making "excuses"?...so if i'd ask how one could cure leprosy by sprinkling the infected with bird's blood as alleged in the bible I would simply be giving an excuse because it's medically sound to you?

Atheist claim their morality os based on reasoning, from the above, we see that God's law is not something alien, but we're hardwired with it from creation.
Nature doesn't scream out benevolent...instead we see the opposite...
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Shame on the devil.

no, its shame on the religious.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

no, its shame on the religious.

You don't have to be religious to get your name written in the book of life.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 9:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You don't have to be religious to get your name written in the book of life.

Ok, so is my name there?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
ooman:

Ok, so is my name there?

Your name will only be there if you can pass this test. ==> www.needGod.com
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Your name will only be there if you can pass this test. ==> www.needGod.com

Never mind, I was kidding. cheesy
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
ooman:

Never mind, I was kidding. cheesy

Are you scared?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you scared?

Of the book of life? Why should I be?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:50am On Dec 22, 2014
ooman:

Of the book of life? Why should I be?

Take the test if you are not scared. cool
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 7:15am On Dec 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Take the test if you are not scared. cool

That would be a betrayal of reason. I dont need god.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by asalimpo(m): 10:22am On Dec 22, 2014
Bidam:
you mean partiality. U wrong .
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 22, 2014
asalimpo:

you mean partiality. U wrong .
Wat is partiality and wrong in whatsense?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by asalimpo(m): 10:30am On Dec 22, 2014
davien:
So of what use is faith in "jesus" if its irrelevant?...
Your "god's law" advocates slavery,the denigration of women,bigotry,racism,the stoning of unruly children,killing of homosexuals and alleged witches etc...those are not ethical concepts in the slightest bit of reasoning....nor are prone to revision...this is why humans make laws,not "god/gods"..
So instead of facing your challenged beliefs you hide under the straw man that I am merely making "excuses"?...so if i'd ask how one could cure leprosy by sprinkling the infected with bird's blood as alleged in the bible I would simply be giving an excuse because it's medically sound to you?
Nature doesn't scream out benevolent...instead we see the opposite...

I've read this one-sided argumnt bf , but d issue is who gat the book and the pass to d zone eternity yonder? How dyu get in, is your name in d book?
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by asalimpo(m): 10:32am On Dec 22, 2014
Bidam:
Wat is partiality and wrong in whatsense?
heaven by election, i.e seats were reserved for some vips. Sorry but tht contradcts scriptures. Anybody in heaven got there on merit and God's grace.
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44am On Dec 22, 2014
ooman:

That would be a betrayal of reason. I dont need god.

Their will be a time when you will need God, I hope that it would not be too late then. undecided
Re: What Is The Book Of Life, And How Do We Get In It? by ooman(m): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Their will be a time when you will need God, I hope that it would not be too late then. undecided

what time is that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be An Atheist For Twelve Days / The Redeemed Christian Church Of God 61st Annual Convention / Warning To Born Again Christians And Pastors Who Became Athiest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.