Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,340 members, 7,881,253 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:18 PM

Relationship Or Ownership? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Relationship Or Ownership? (774 Views)

Define Your "Current" Relationship Or Your "Dream" Relationship / What's The Factor That's Kept Your Relationship Or Marriage Till Today. / Are You Enjoying Your Present Relationship Or Managing It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relationship Or Ownership? by sinequanon: 4:15pm On Dec 11, 2014
I was brought up in the UK, and I have to confess that I find Naija "relationships" strange.

It seems to me that they are practically relationships of convenience.

You have a cold contract: you bring something to the table (usually money), she brings booty and blam! you have a "relationship" that wouldn't have existed without that contract, as a friendship.

Love becomes a clinical chemical reaction, during which the other person is assigned to your exclusive ownership for the duration of the contract.

To be honest, I find European style relationships a lot better.

Thoughts?
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by sexymoma(f): 4:19pm On Dec 11, 2014
Hey.. Calm Down.
what has clinical chemical reaction got to do wid relationship angry
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by justmag(m): 4:22pm On Dec 11, 2014
Ohh wait!! Nigerian girls are money hungry in the uk too?? I thought with a little exposure and opportunity some would be a little better. I kno there are some good ones in the states, canada and Australia.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by Tymax(m): 4:32pm On Dec 11, 2014
Naija babes.... Money money money. No wonder they get battered by their boyfriends.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by sinequanon: 4:34pm On Dec 11, 2014
sexymoma:
Hey.. Calm Down.

Me or you? LOL!

sexymoma:
what has clinical chemical reaction got to do wid relationship angry

When some people fall in love, that is all it is -- bodily chemicals affecting their brain.

That's why some love is unrequited -- i.e loving somebody who doesn't love you.

I don't see how love can be unrequited if there is a real relationship and a connection.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by DesChyko: 4:34pm On Dec 11, 2014
Economy no nice.. And the jungle no favour the chiqs..

It's a man world, so they say.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by sinequanon: 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2014
justmag:
Ohh wait!! Nigerian girls are money hungry in the uk too?? I thought with a little exposure and opportunity some would be a little better. I kno there are some good ones in the states, canada and Australia.

That isn't what I said. Maybe I gave a too stereotypical example.

There are many Naija women in the UK who are the breadwinners, supporting their husbands. So, this thread is not about Naija women bashing.

In fact, I would say that most cultures are similar, and Western nations are more the global exception, with their liberalized attitude towards love, which has its own issues.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by Babygal4eva(f): 5:03pm On Dec 11, 2014
not all Naija girls are after your money guys jeez...
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by justmag(m): 5:31pm On Dec 11, 2014
Babygal4eva:
not all Naija girls are after your money guys jeez...

majority are. Deny deny all u want. U maybe different but some bad eggs out there give good girls a bad impression already.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by sinequanon: 5:40pm On Dec 11, 2014
justmag:

majority are. Deny deny all u want. U maybe different but some bad eggs out there give good girls a bad impression already.

It's actually so easy to tell, unless you are too busy focusing on something else... cool
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by Medunah: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2014
And that still doesnt stop them
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by ronald4lif(m): 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2014
Having lived in both countries cited by the OP I share same sentiment, but I think this stem from the economic disadvantage suffered over the years in Nigeria, in the UK ladies and guys are gainfully employed and the few who are not receives social security benefit to sustain themselves. The rate at which most of our ladies rely on financial sustenance in a relationship is disturbing but like justmag said earlier times are rough in Naija
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by justmag(m): 5:52pm On Dec 11, 2014
ronald4lif:
Having lived in both countries cited by the OP I share same sentiment, but I think this stem from the economic disadvantage suffered over the years in Nigeria, in the UK ladies and guys are gainfully employed and the few who are not receives social security benefit to sustain themselves. The rate at which most of our ladies rely on financial sustenance in a relationship is disturbing but like justmag said earlier times are rough in Naija

Exactly! !! For some girls , once that social benefits cheque stops coming in. They hunt for these rich dudes. I never really met money hungry girls in the states, australia or Canada. It's just in nigeria thar it's really bad. You see pretty looking girls dropping their standards for some ugly looking man. Like you said. It's all tied to the economy somehow. Just imagine a wealthy and economical stable nigeria where these rich men will actually have to work hard to win the hearts of an employed independent woman!!
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2014
Funny enough,some girls are still the one taking care of their boyfriends even in naija.
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by englishmart(m): 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2014
is your UK different from mine?
Re: Relationship Or Ownership? by sinequanon: 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2014
ronald4lif:

I don't think that Nigerians (or Africans for that matter) have a concept of romance. Relationships are more of a contract.

If this were entirely down to poverty, how would you explain the Chinese history of romantic love?

I think that romantic love is recent a HollyCumNolly import into Naija, which is very superficial and pretentious in practice.

(1) (Reply)

3 Ways To Make Yourself More Attractive To Women / Friends With Ex / Are You Aware Of Your True Position ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.