Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,939 members, 7,942,382 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 08:52 AM

My Father Didn’t Want Me To Go Into Politics- Bar. Moyo Ogunlewe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Father Didn’t Want Me To Go Into Politics- Bar. Moyo Ogunlewe (1893 Views)

Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe Son's (moyo Ogunlewe) Wedding / Meet Moyo Ogunlewe: Youngest PDP Lagos Assembly Contestant / Hon.moyo Ogunlewe Wishes Dad A Happy Birthday On Instagram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Father Didn’t Want Me To Go Into Politics- Bar. Moyo Ogunlewe by GirlsClubNG: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2014
A Lagos State House of Assembly aspirant in Kosofe Local Government Area under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, Barrister Moyosore Ogunlewe has promised to push for legislation that would bring government closer to the people.

In this exclusive interview with City People, Moyo son to former Minister of works, Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe, explains why he went into politics despite his father’s reservation.

Can you let us into your world? Who is Moyosore Ogunlewe?
Thank you very much. I was born into the family of Senator Adeseye and Mrs Oluwakemi Ogunlewe on the 1st of February 1984. I grew up in Ogudu, Kosofe Local Government Area in Lagos.
I attended Chrisland school, ikeja, where l got my first leaving certificate, then l proceeded to Lagos State civil service model college Igbogbo in Ikorodu, where l finished in 2000. In 2007, I obtained my first degree in Business Administration from the University of Lagos (Unilag).
Afterwards l was posted to Kwara State for my NYSC, but redeployed to Lagos state. In 2011, I furthered my education at the University of Buckingham where I studied Law. Followed by a Masters Degree in law with emphasis on Trade, Maritime, Oil & Gas. After that, I attained a BL from the Nigerian Law School.
What was early life like?
Early life was great! Funny enough, I didn’t grow up with a silver spoon. My father was a civil servant and my mum had to raise 7 kids.
Let’s delve into your political career. How did it all begin?
It began during my days in Unilag. I was in my second year when l was appointed as the secretary of my Department. That was an eye opening to things to come.
But what prepared me the most was the opportunity to sit in political meetings my dad hosted and attended.
Would you say your father’s Political career shaped your decision?
From my early days I have always been involved in politics. The passion to reach out to people has always been in me. My dad’s political career is just a plus.
Why the decision to join Politics and how did your family take it?
Honestly, my father didn’t want me to go into politics. He still has his reservations about my political ambition. It is perhaps due to the fact that he has tasted the bitter side of politics. That could explain the reason he doesn’t want me to get involved. Irrespective of that though, my elder brother, Gboyega Ogunlewe encouraged me. I must add that the youth in Kosofe L.G.A also want me to represent them.
What slogan are you adopting for your campaign?
Our slogan is ‘Kosofe eyo, Moyo ni o’ meaning Kosofe rejoice Moyo it is
What is your relationship with the youths in Kosofe L.G.A?
I can tell you that my relationship with the youth in Kosofe L.G.A is fantastic.
I have lived here all my life. I play football at Emmanuel High School in Ojota, Skido and all over Kosofe, with the boys. We eat and drink together.
I am a member of the Ogudu residential youth association. If you like, we can take a walk down the street, in fact, any area in my constituency and you will see how many people, not just youth will be greeting and relating with me. I am a part of Kosofe, and Kosofe is a part of me.
What agenda do you have for your constituency?
Wow! I have a lot of ideas for Kosofe L.G.A Constituency 1.
I have always believed that a fundamental failure of any Government exists where there is a disconnect from the people the Government is intended to govern. In most cases, the public does not feel like it is a part of Government, nor do they have a sense of belonging, a collective responsibility to make Government functional for them if you will. I often hear people say, Government should provide this or that which should be its paramount responsibility, but I also believe that the public is just as responsible to make sure their needs are met. People must be made to feel they are involved in government.
That is why l came up with WADA frame work that will be anchored on 4 main sectors; Education, Healthcare, Women and Youth development.
What is WADA?
Like i had mentioned earlier, the fundamental flaw of government is its seeming detachment from the people. In my Constituency, we never get a sense that we are part of the government. Sure they come and fill some potholes on some roads, but we haven’t felt much impact in the primary & secondary schools. The primary healthcare centers in the area are lacking, youth employment is at an all time low, and women empowerment is still lacking.
My idea is to introduce the Ward Development Area (WADA) Framework, which will serve as the “fourth tier of Government”. It will involve prominent people within the community who will assist the Local & State Government in providing and managing infrastructure and social programmes.
Let us use education as a prime example. You see it all the time. Every morning in Ogudu where I live, the children of the more affluent are driven in big cars to private schools outside the community, whereas the ones from less privileged families are trooping in en-mass to the public schools inside the same estate. This happens all over my Constituency and Lagos State at large. Can you imagine that?
Whereas, if the Ogudu Residents Association and other resident associations were invited to manage the public schools inside their own communities, I believe they would send their own children to those schools which would in turn bring up the standard and welfare of the school. I benefited from a similar structure, in my secondary school days. The Lagos State Model College in Ikorodu that I attended was managed by a Board of Governors picked from prominent Lagosians within the community who had the desire to serve. The children of these people attended this school and as such the standard of the school was maintained. Unfortunately, this was discontinued. The fact is that most Residents Associations already act as a form of government, often times being responsible for security, minor road repairs, in some cases even power generation, etc. They must be embraced, recognized, strengthened and institutionalized into a form of government. That is when the people feel as though they are part of government.
The same can be done for primary healthcare & childcare within the community. WADA would be closer to the people because even the local government has been taken far away from the people.
We need to develop an all inclusive society that does not breed separation of the haves and have-nots, That does not bode well for our future.
What outstanding qualities set you apart?
My believe in the rule of law. I have an extreme passion for the Law. That was what drove me to further my education and become a lawyer. I believe that any society that does not have respect for the rule of law, can never become a fully developed one. Once there is respect for the rule of Law in the society, the moral and civil compass for development has its foundation.
I believe therefore, that my being in the hallowed chambers of the Lagos State House of Assembly, along with my fellow members would help to drive legislation that will impact positively on the lives of the people of my constituency and Lagos State at large.

http://citypeoplegroup.org/i/my-father-didnt-want-me-to-go-into-politics-bar-moyo-ogunlewe/

Re: My Father Didn’t Want Me To Go Into Politics- Bar. Moyo Ogunlewe by temitemi1(m): 11:14am On Dec 14, 2014
That's family issue man, tryin settle it with ur father. GEJ till 2019!!!

(1) (Reply)

GRAPHIC: Commissioner (HASC), Tobby Onyekele Murdered In Cold Blood In Owerri. / Please Nairalanders Help,the Bank Wants To Mortgage Our Properties. / #LMFAO I Can't Laugh Alone,please Join Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.