Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,336 members, 7,940,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 11:23 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (237852 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by spacyzuma(m): 9:41pm On Apr 24, 2016
joseph1013:
spacyzuma, saw your diary, mate, after I got notified that you shared one of my posts here. Interesting thoughts.

Thanks, bruv. smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:43am On Apr 25, 2016
Tritri:
@joseph1013 Great work But what do you think about Theresa Caputo the woman at the long island medium ? Is that explainable ?

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:06am On Apr 25, 2016
Tritri:
@joseph1013 Great work But what do you think about Theresa Caputo the woman at the long island medium ? Is that explainable ?

[b]Hey bro! Theresa Caputo is a fraud! Of course alot of people already know this.

This is a woman who sends staff members to interview audience members in advance in order to be able to pretend that she acquires knowledge from communicating with the deceased. Several private investigators have found her out. One of them found out that she uses social media to learn details about people in the audience and relay information gained as if it came from the spirit world.

Check out these links in your spare time

- 'She’s a vulture preying on the most vulnerable': Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo is branded a ‘fake’ by private investigator http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2653374/A-vulture-preying-vulnerable-Long-Island-Medium-Theresa-Caputo-flouts-negative-claims-shes-fake.html

- Reality Star Theresa Caputo Subject Of Fraud Investigation http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/06/long-island-medium-theresa-caputo-fraud-investigation-audience-complaints/

- The Long Island Medium – Can She Really Communicate with the Dead? http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/5331-the-long-island-medium-can-she-really-communicate-with-the-dead

- The ‘Medium’ Is Not the Messenger http://www.wired.com/2012/04/opinion_randilimedium0409/

D. J. Grothe and James Randi are two well-known former magicians who have called her out having researched her methods extensively.[/b]
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 25, 2016
She can't be fraud for so many years and still be reliable..Do you watch the synagogue TB Joshua Are the prophecy also fraud? And many ordinary people ? Am not a Xtian or Muslim But am definite sure there is more to life than the Ordinary Eyes.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:19am On Apr 25, 2016
Tritri:
She can't be fraud for so many years and still be reliable..Do you watch the synagogue TB Joshua Are the prophecy also fraud? And many ordinary people ? Am not a Xtian or Muslim But am definite sure there is more to life than the Ordinary Eyes.
[b]What do you mean by 'so many years'? Long Island Medium which brought her into fame has only been around since 2011. So why do you think 5 years is 'so many years'? I guess you're new to these things. There is a certain Uri Geller who has been famous since the 1970s. His length of years does not make him any more than a charlattan.

Anyone with a lil skill in critical reasoning will know TB Joshua is also a fraud. Tell me, how come he couldn't predict the collapse of his own church building, and even better, prevent it? What about his indictment in the #PanamaPapers, why was he unable to see ahead and stop the leakage of the documents? That's to be overlooked, huh?

Look closely at his prophecies and you will realize that they are so generalistic that almost anything could happen and he would still claim them as his prophecies. Take a look at his recent prophecy that something catastrophic would happen in Nigeria and Ghana. Notice he gave nothing specific. He gave no timeframe. He described no actual situation. He's a fraud together with Pastors like Oyakhilome, Adeboye and Oyedepo. They feed on the gullibility of the uneducated masses who have been drenched in superstitions for hundreds of years.

True, there are unexplainable things in our universe that we cannot explain. But that's just what they are: Unexplained. That they are unexplainable is not enough for anyone to pull the god-of-the-gap on us. Look around you, how many of the things around you were we unable to explain 500 years ago such that most people had to pull divinity into them? That should teach you something about not giving up on humanity's ability to resolve mysteries.
[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:35pm On Apr 25, 2016
"If you don’t understand something, and the community of physicists don’t understand it, that means God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? Because if it is, here’s a list of things in the past that the physicists at the time didn’t understand [and now we do understand] [...]. If that’s how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that’s getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on - so just be ready for that to happen, if that’s how you want to come at the problem."

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 25, 2016
@joseph1013 , What are the Unexplained things ? As i said earlier , Am am Agnostic but i'm 100% Sure that this world has it own spiritual part , For tb josh some of his prophecy's about individual's are certain which are beyond the ordinary eyes.Meanwhile dont rely too much on media. Does the issue of panama papers makes his prediction on individual a fraud...No.

How do you explain a successful business Igbo man and just after he got married he lost everything , situation like dis has happened to so many people not just 1 or 10.

How about the fraudsters that use voodoo to talk and command you to go bring all you have .This things work and there are forces around them.

Have you gone to an herbalist to tell them they are fraud if not they should prove them-self to you ?

What step have you taken to prove that JUJU doesnt work and it a scam.? Is it by reading books? Take a step and you would av a rethink.

How about those that bring down rain OR stop rain that also a scam?

Watch below video. This are not generalized prediction. U can watch more online ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8J74oxj2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aTT-GKsD8
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by abdulwastecx(m): 3:24pm On Apr 25, 2016
joseph1013:
HOW ISSUES IN NIGERIA ARE DEALT WITH

Issue: This fuel scarcity is really biting hard. What can be done about it?

Blockhead: god will see us through o!

Issue: The spate of kidnapping/armed robbery is getting out of hand.

Blockhead: may god touch the heart of the evil ones o!

Issue: the government don't seem to be getting it
right.

Blockhead: god should please take control o!

Issue: Something must be done about the Fulani herdsmen killings.

Blockhead: god will save us from there hands IJN, amen.

It really does piss me off that blockheads won't let one have rational discourse over temporal issues without endlessly distracting one with their delusions.

Permit me to copy this your beautiful write up

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:28pm On Apr 25, 2016
Today might just get interesting.

Tritri:
@joseph1013 , What are the Unexplained things ?

[b]They are plenty! Here are a few:

1. We don't know why we yawn.

2. There is a phenomenon known as the Hum. It is a low-frequency droning sound unexplained by science. The source of this noise remains unknown but fortunately only 2% of the world are able to hear it.

3. We dont know how a particular specie of glowing beetles are able to synchronize their blinking.

4. We don't know why some whales are suicidal.

5. We don't know why luminous activity in the sky are noted before volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.

6. We don't know why 9 out of 10 people in the world are right handed.

7. Science has yet to explain why we require sleep.

8. Why does the giraffe have a long neck, we don't know.

9. Unlike what many people think, there is still so much we don't know about gravity. In fact, it has greater mystery than evolution.

10. There is a patch of desert in Bolson de Mapimi, Mexico that has been the site of very strange radio wave phenomenon. No radio, TV, short wave, microwave, or satellite signals can get into the zone. We don't know why.

11. The Klerksdorp Spheres found in South Africa have properties that are mysterious.

There are hundreds more examples but I'm sure you get my drift.[/b]

As i said earlier , Am am Agnostic but i'm 100% Sure that this world has it own spiritual part

You are 100% sure that this world has its spiritual part! Really? Can you provide evidence for that assertion? I will wait.

For tb josh some of his prophecy's about individual's are certain which are beyond the ordinary eyes.Meanwhile dont rely too much on media. Does the issue of panama papers makes his prediction on individual a fraud...No.

Watch below video. This are not generalized prediction. U can watch more online ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8J74oxj2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aTT-GKsD8

[b]What do these videos prove? Nothing! I just told you how Theresa Caputo was found out to get information beforehand and reel them out at her audience to make herself feel like she sees into people's lives. Several people have spoken of how they have been deceived and exploited by TB Joshua. Go though this link to see examples of people complaining: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/real-t-b-joshuas-miracles/

T B Joshua has since the nineties mined the gullibility and nincompoopery of Africans using fake, forged and fraudulent miracles cure claims and prophecies. But it took just a little architectural oversight to expose the schemes and pretensions of this charlatan. Tell me, how can you see what happened to his Synagogue building and still need proof that he is a fake? I mean here lies a man who shamelessly flaunts his supposed healing powers; a man who claims he could cure all kinds of diseases including HIV and AIDS. Here is a man who claims to have prophesied the death of presidents and celebrities but who could not foresee and prevent the tragedy in his own church.

Again, I say those videos mean nothing. They could have been stage-managed. If he really has the abilities he flaunt, he should test them by going to our hospitals and making them vacant by healing everyone. He should ensure that all his followers are millionaires who would no longer need handouts. He should pray that for a single day, no one dies in Nigeria.[/b]

How do you explain a successful business Igbo man and just after he got married he lost everything , situation like dis has happened to so many people not just 1 or 10.

I said on this page some days back that the average person has little or no knowledge of the powerful nature of Probability. Disasters happen! Not just in Nigeria, but everywhere else in the world. I'm presently reading Richard Branson's "Losing Your Virginity" and I'm held spellbound by the amount of disasters that have happened to him and his business. That's business for you. Do you have any idea how many Chinese businessmen went broke after they got married? You don't! That they got bankrupt after they got married does not mean the wives are witches or their in-laws covered their destiny. LOL You can't even be taken serious until you furnish us with statistics of how many Igbos lose their businesses after getting married, because someone like me will counter by asking you if you know how many Igbomen prospered the more after getting married. They are so many. Not 1 or 10!

How about the fraudsters that use voodoo to talk and command you to go bring all you have .This things work and there are forces around them.

I doubt you have witnessed this yourself. For most of these things, they are stories passed on from person to person and usually garnished till they become very ridiculous. To counter this, I say go and read more about Hypnosis. Here is a report of how a thief robbed a shopowner in London using hypnosis. (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/moment-hypnotist-put-shopkeeper-in-a-trance-before-stealing-hundreds-of-pounds-in-cash-9904960.html) The guy did not even know he was being robbed. If it happened in Nigeria, y'all would have been shouting JUJU. I assume you watch alot of Youtube videos, go look up hypnosis techniques by Derren Brown. You may just be blown away.

Have you gone to an herbalist to tell them they are fraud if not they should prove them-self to you ?

What step have you taken to prove that JUJU doesnt work and it a scam.? Is it by reading books? Take a step and you would av a rethink

[b]Have you? I may not have done it but the James Randi challenge is still available. It has been available since since 1964. It calls anyone who can demonstrate a paranormal activity to come forth and demonstrate it under a control environment. If he is able, he is going to be given a million dollars. No one has claimed the money till date. All those broke pastors in Nigeria who cannot stop claiming they can cure AIDS and Cancers have not stepped up to take the money.

Here is my challenge for you: Go to your herbalist. Tell him about the challenge. Usually they are not able to access the internet so you will have to do that for him. Open your brower to this site: http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html . Register for the challenge. Let me know. I will do free publicity for you and your herbalist and alot of Nigerians will watch your herbalist do his thing for real on International television. He will claim a million dollars. I WILL BECOME A TRADITIONAL WORSHIPPER.

Deal?[/b]

How about those that bring down rain OR stop rain that also a scam?

[b]See ehn...like I said earlier, that you do not know the way something happens does not mean it is supernatural and it cannot be explained. A good example is the issue of making rain fall. Have you heard of Cloud Seeding before?

Cloud seeding, a form of weather modification, is the attempt to change the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds, by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei, which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud. The usual intent is to increase precipitation (rain or snow), but hail and fog suppression are also widely practiced in airports.

Does that ring a bell? Yes! Our ancestors practiced cloud seeding but we thought it was supernatural. As you can see, it is not.

In conclusion, let me say this: As an agnostics, I will assume that you have developed a knack for questioning things.

A while back, I was watching on Youtube, a video of Chris Oyakhilome using air-bending to make people fall.

Some of the comments on it were about some people who previously doubted the reality of that falling by Pastor Chris' Air bending ability until it happened to them and subsequently their lives changed. This is supposed to tell us that they were once sceptics, LOL.

My friends, that isn't scepticism. Scepticism is not "I used to doubt magic until a magician performed in my presence."

Scepticism is not "I used to doubt the power of Odeshi until I saw a man being shot but the bullets bounced!"

Scepticism is realising that even YOU, the sceptic can be fooled. You are fallible. You are emotional. You have bias. You are ignorant of some things and therefore your scepticism is NOT based on personal experiences but on objective assessment of claims in CONTROLLED conditions.

Are you bullet resistant? Let me bring my own gun and shooter.

Can you heal Cancer? Let me be the one to bring the patient and doctor.

Are you an Air Bender? Come and do it in a controlled setting.

Most of all, use your skills to solve ACTUAL problems. Teach our Military men your bullet proof skills. I'm sure they'll all want it.

Right now, the Fulani Herdsmen are a menace, use your super powers to stop their activities and render them motionless such that the locals can hand them over to the Police.

Of what use is your air bending skills in a church auditorium? What problem did it solve for humanity?[/b]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:37pm On Apr 25, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Permit me to copy this your beautiful write up

Use away, boss!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 25, 2016
@joseph1013
Nice respond But let me tell u a story...Couples of years ago my blood brother was mysteriously taken from the front of our house in lagos around 9am by a stranger . 8pm we got a call guess what ..he cant remember where he is ..he had to call from phone boot..he phone shoe...cloth stolen...someone of 24yrs, Now dis person didn't hypnotise or whatever..He just touch him with something and he followed..this is not ordinary if it is then i can do it right?He was unaware of what had happened to him until around 8pm.

2nd a small boi within my area who claim to be tout had a mis-understanding at a bar. after he was beating he went home came back and ANYONE he blow or slap fell down instantly in our eyes, everyone realised it was voodo and nobody near him again.this was a slim ...lepa small guy with just 1 slap ur down no matter how big u're......is that ordinary...I still stand on there are more to the ordinary eyes.

The James Randi Educational Foundation's Million Dollar Challenge has been terminated.

Please see http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status for details.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:47pm On Apr 25, 2016
Tritri:
@joseph1013
Nice respond But let me tell u a story...Couples of years ago my blood brother was mysteriously taken from the front of our house in lagos around 9am by a stranger . 8pm we got a call guess what ..he cant remember where he is ..he had to call from phone boot..he phone shoe...cloth stolen...someone of 24yrs, Now dis person didn't hypnotise or whatever..He just touch him with something and he followed..this is not ordinary if it is then i can do it right?

2nd a small boi within my area who claim to be tout had a mis-understanding at a bar. after he was beating he went home came back and ANYONE he blow or slap fell down instantly in our eyes, everyone realised it was voodo and nobody near him again.this was a slim ...lepa small guy with just 1 slap ur down no matter how big u're......is that ordinary...I still stand on there are more to the ordinary eyes.
[b]
Let me tell you a story: I have loved football all my life. All my life! The only moment I was not extremely crazy about football was the 5 years I was in the University. That was the period I was a religious nut, reading and listening to the 'deep' things of God. LOL

But I digress, when I was in secondary school, I went to watch a football match between two public secondary schools. The goalkeeper of one school was extremely good. He got everything that was thrown at him. He was extraordinary. If I remember correctly, the possession was like 95-5 yet the opponents didn't score.

Suddenly, someone noticed a black cloth behind the goal post and called attention of the opponents' coach to it. The game was stopped and the referee's attention was called. The referee asked that the cloth be removed.

As soon as the black cloth was removed, the goalkeeper conceded a goal. Shuo! At the end of the match, they were beaten by three unreplied goals.

What happened? Till date, I have no idea exactly what went down!

But later on, it occurred to me that it just might be a coincidence. How did I arrive at this? Because our JUJU has not won anything for us on the international scene. If you are a football lover, you'd have heard of how African countries regularly seek herbalists for Nation's Cup matches, and how they are almost always impotent. At the last World Cup, a Ghanaian Juju man vowed to stop Ronaldo from playing against Ghana. Ronaldo played! In 2011, Adeboye prophesized that from then on, all will be well with the Super Eagles. In 2012, we failed to qualify for the Nations' cup.

For your first story, I would say it was hypnosis. We have also heard robbers use sleep-inducing powder on their victims. If Rohypnol is used on a victim, it causes memory loss. She won't be able to remember anything.

I am inclined to ask you if you were there when that second story happened, but I won't. Let me just say this again: what is unknown is unknown. Don't invoke the supernatural unless you can give evidence.

And that's why developed countries employ investigative journalism. They don't sit in their houses and say it was JUJU that led to a slim man 'falling' a man twice his weight. They investigate and try to know what's up. What did the guy go home to take? What did it contain? There are chemicals that would knock you down instantly the moment you inhale them. It doesn't matter whether you are 200kg or 400kg. You are going down straight.

You probably got told the story. I was not there. It will most likely have a natural explanation. Sometimes, a little understanding of Chemistry will diffuse these kinds of tension. But as usual, most of our chemistry knowledge is done on a religious background, so they are not used in everyday living.[/b]

The James Randi Educational Foundation's Million Dollar Challenge has been terminated.

Please see http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status for details.

I didn't know James Randi had retired. He has gotten quite old too. Great man!

But are you in for a Herbalist challenge?

NB: Have you heard of Occam's razor?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 25, 2016
Yes i was there ooh.First one i was the one that went to pick my brother ,2nd one i was dere inshot am like Dis life self person no even Understand am again.

Am not in nigeria for over 5yrs..2yrs ago a group of Yoruba guy with cult wahala nobody knew what went wrong but before you say jack they broke bottle stab someone ..Bros e no enter ooh...we were dere..

How do you want me to give u physical Effidence when it supernatural ? Please dont forget that am not a religious fanatic as i dont believe in that but with few things av seen Nah dere is more to the ordinary eyes.

Am not in nigeria for now and No have never heard of Occam's razor.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:41pm On Apr 25, 2016
Tritri:
Yes i was there ooh.First one i was the one that went to pick my brother ,2nd one i was dere inshot am like Dis life self person no even Understand am again.

Am not in nigeria for over 5yrs..2yrs ago a group of Yoruba guy with cult wahala nobody knew what went wrong but before you say jack they broke bottle stab someone ..Bros e no enter ooh...we were dere..

How do you want me to give u physical Effidence when it supernatural ? Please dont forget that am not a religious fanatic as i dont believe in that but with few things av seen Nah dere is more to the ordinary eyes.

Am not in nigeria for now and No have never heard of Occam's razor.
[b]Bros, all of us don hear of Odeshi. Infact, I had this friend then in school, he loved Issakaba so tey he dey try cutlass for im body. Im mama dey beat am steady. LOL

Like I said earlier, CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT is the solution to all our doubts. Let's bring a sure man who is so sure a cutlass cannot enter his body and let's move to a controlled environment, and test his theory repeatedly. That's the solution, bro. If it works, it's exportable!

Wait, has it ever occurred to you how the Europeans colonized us inspite of our Jazz? Our Jazz could not do jack in the face of European guns. Me think there is a lesson there for us to learn.

Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor) is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the simpler one is usually better. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an
explanation is.

Example: Two trees have fallen down during a windy night. Think about these two possible explanations:

1. The wind has blown them down.

2. Two meteorites have each taken one tree down, and after that hit each other and removed any trace of themselves.

Even though both are possible, several other unlikely things would also need to happen for the meteorites to have knocked the trees down (they would have to hit each other and also not leave any marks). In addition, meteorites are fairly rare. Since this second explanation needs several assumptions to all be true, it is probably the wrong answer. Occam's razor tells us that the wind blew the trees down, because that is the simplest answer and therefore probably the right one.

Occam's razor also comes up in medicine. When there are many explanations for symptoms , the simplest diagnosis is the one to test first. If a child has a runny nose, it probably has the common cold rather than a rare birth defect. Medical students are often told, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras".

I have found Occam's razor to work for these paranormal events.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by haryomikun(m): 10:51pm On Apr 25, 2016
Am irreligious here too bro. Nice to meet a community of people who don't think like most of the religious guys I have as friends

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:21pm On Apr 26, 2016
spacyzuma:

Thanks, bruv. smiley
Some of your thoughts are incredible. I find them matching my own, especially when I look at the dates they were posted and a weird feeling of how I was thinking same around that time as well comes upon me. Amazing! I guess this is my own diary about my thoughts about religion. smiley

It seems to me like diaries are private. Others are not allowed to comment on them, right?

Would you be kind enough to recommend other cool diaries on this site? I like to read other people's thoughts, particularly thoughts of people with insights.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
Calling on all the powerful men of God in Nigeria.......the herdsmen situation needs your attention.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by jsnow90: 7:36pm On Apr 26, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]What do you mean by 'so many years'? Long Island Medium which brought her into fame has only been around since 2011. So why do you think 5 years is 'so many years'? I guess you're new to these things. There is a certain Uri Geller who has been famous since the 1970s. His length of years does not make him any more than a charlattan.

Anyone with a lil skill in critical reasoning will know TB Joshua is also a fraud. Tell me, how come he couldn't predict the collapse of his own church building, and even better, prevent it? What about his indictment in the #PanamaPapers, why was he unable to see ahead and stop the leakage of the documents? That's to be overlooked, huh?

Look closely at his prophecies and you will realize that they are so generalistic that almost anything could happen and he would still claim them as his prophecies. Take a look at his recent prophecy that something catastrophic would happen in Nigeria and Ghana. Notice he gave nothing specific. He gave no timeframe. He described no actual situation. He's a fraud together with Pastors like Oyakhilome, Adeboye and Oyedepo. They feed on the gullibility of the uneducated masses who have been drenched in superstitions for hundreds of years.

True, there are unexplainable things in our universe that we cannot explain. But that's just what they are: Unexplained. That they are unexplainable is not enough for anyone to pull the god-of-the-gap on us. Look around you, how many of the things around you were we unable to explain 500 years ago such that most people had to pull divinity into them? That should teach you something about not giving up on humanity's ability to resolve mysteries.
[/b]

If I remember correctly, you were also once 'spirit filled' and thought you had a personal relationship with God. Perhaps you saw visions and prophesied to people, and the people also gave some donations and offerings when your prophesies turned out to be true. At the time you were still a faithful christian, would I brand you a fraudster? I definitely wouldn't.

Could it also be possible that these same religious leaders you mentioned above genuinely feel and think they have a relationship with God and communicate with him. And hence, when they give prophesies, they 'genuinely' believe the prophesies are from their God. Why then should we brand them as fraudsters?

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:58am On Apr 27, 2016
jsnow90:

If I remember correctly, you were also once 'spirit filled' and thought you had a personal relationship with God. Perhaps you saw visions and prophesied to people, and the people also gave some donations and offerings when your prophesies turned out to be true. At the time you were still a faithful christian, would I brand you a fraudster? I definitely wouldn't.

Could it also be possible that these same religious leaders you mentioned above genuinely feel and think they have a relationship with God and communicate with him. And hence, when they give prophesies, they 'genuinely' believe the prophesies are from their God. Why then should we brand them as fraudsters?
[b]It's an interesting approach you've taken to absolve these pastorpreneurs.

You most likely don't know me, therefore all you can do is make GUESSES on what I did and did not do based on your personal experiences. There are bound to be errors when you make deductions that way.
(Tip: I wasn't interested in money as a Christian)

Yes, indoctrination makes people explain things away as coming from 'god' even though all they hear is from themselves or an extension of themselves.

Here are a few things that add to my suspicions that they are frauds:

- Their unending streams of failed prophecies.
- Their obsession with money and their insistence on taking as much as possible from their followers.
- Their stage-managed miracles.
- Their romance with corrupt politicians. A lot of them are known to provide safe havens for looted funds.
- How quick they are to suppress bad press about their ministries and how strongly members are warned against speaking against them.

I'm curious about one of the statements you made: if they believe that they got certain prophecies from god and those prophecies go unfulfilled, do you think we can conclude that the god is a liar or worse, non-existent?
[/b]

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by spacyzuma(m): 8:03am On Apr 27, 2016
joseph1013:

Some of your thoughts are incredible. I find them matching my own, especially when I look at the dates they were posted and a weird feeling of how I was thinking same around that time as well comes upon me. Amazing! I guess this is my own diary about my thoughts about religion. smiley

It seems to me like diaries are private. Others are not allowed to comment on them, right?

Would you be kind enough to recommend other cool diaries on this site? I like to read other people's thoughts, particularly thoughts of people with insights.
Thanks again for the compliments.
Yes, diaries can't be commented on. But there are 2/3 threads in the diary section where people can discuss, although I hardly go there.
My favorite diary right now is "Diary of a geek" by Slapsticker. https://www.nairaland.com/3020570/diary-geek"

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Slapsticker: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
spacyzuma:

Yes, diaries can't be commented on. But there are 2/3 threads in the diary section where people can discuss, although I hardly go there.
My favorite diary right now is "Diary of a geek" by Slapsticker. https://www.nairaland.com/3020570/diary-geek"

I am humbled.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
spacyzuma:

I knew the recommendation would be good.

I like him already. He loves Barcelona (my favourite team though I may become slightly more crazy about Man City next season if Pep falls in love with the genius of Iheanacho), he gyms regularly (Elon Musk and Richard Branson indoctrinated me into it), he is floating a startup like I am doing (not sure his own is in the tech space though), and he says he loves atheists. Not bad! But he doesn't eat alot (I'm a foodie). grin

I have followed his diary. Thanks
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2016
HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON

If you had a magic pocket which produced a #1000 note everytime you put your hand in it, would you be making a sacrifice, if you gave a poor person #1000? No you wouldn't, because you wouldn't have sacrificed anything.

If your son could die and return to life, would you be making a sacrifice if you allowed him to be killed? No, because you wouldn't have sacrificed anything.

But you would have proved yourself a despicable ass-hole.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
haryomikun:
Am irreligious here too bro. Nice to meet a community of people who don't think like most of the religious guys I have as friends

It's heartwarming to know someone like you exists too, brother! I admit that being the odd one out of the majority comes with its own predicaments.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2016
"I'm praying for you"

A phrase that makes you feel confident that you are helping without doing nothing.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by rawgame(m): 3:13am On Apr 28, 2016
@joseph1013, Why is the background theme of this your crusade filled with so much animosity towards God whose existence you don't want to accept? Well, my precious faith in God is still intact after having gone through the turbulence of your unscrupulous thread. I feel sorry for those whose faith you have shattered.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:39am On Apr 28, 2016
[b]^^^

WHY ARE YOU SO INTOLERANT OF GOD?

You can be sure that multiples times every week, I get messages by PMs from people who are so sure that I have unbridled animosity against/towards God and say this thread is filled with the darkest shades of unscrupulousness. I even get to chuckle when I am accused of being bitter and angry with God. Did I talk of the threats and how some have vowed to send me to Hell early if they get hold of me in person? Oh yes, I am the intolerant one, right!

Let's look at it this way: In a particular big estate, there are 20 owners of 20,000 houses. Each of the owners has at least 500 houses each except one man named John who owns just one house. Yet the rest 19 fellow owners would not stop harassing him for owning the single house. Illogical, right? I thought so too.

The average religious Nigerian believes he/she has an inalienable right to evangelism. Hence, they go from house to house, door to door, room to room, office to office, organization to organization...evangelizing.

The public transportation system is not spared...'good morning my brothers and sisters' ....They shout, they preach, they threaten... They pass leaflets, they pass invites...often times they pass envelopes for donations.

You think they are done ......Nope!

They take to the public address systems, television networks, radios, churches, crusades....They disturb the peace...you can barely have a goodnight sleep if one of their joints happen to be in your neighborhood.

To cap it up ...political institutions are on their side.. They often dictate to a large extent what happens there. The recent Gender Equality bill was squashed when a Senator from the North stood up in the Chambers to say it is UnIslamic. The 14-year gay bill was passed because they believe the Bible does not give room for homosexuals. The war against Boko Haram was complicated because Northern elders believed a war against them is a war against Islam. Constitutionally, Nigeria is a secular state, but our laws have religious undertones.

Mind you, in their minds, they don't think they are disturbing anyone. Their door-to-door evangelism is a dictate from God. Their all-night vigils disturbing the neighbour is to God. All their acts are from God. Since it's from God, everyone has to take it.

This has been happening for centuries. In the past people were killed, often harassed if you dared try to criticize. It's still being done in fundamentalist societies.

Then the door opens: The average Nigerian atheist.

They don't have your time. They have been psychologically beaten to suppression.

They don't distribute leaflets or worse, carry public address system.

They have found solace on the social media and internet forums. They have decided to express themselves freely...Criticisms, Satire, Jokes and often times Debates. Like me, they ask alot of questions and are open-minded to learn.

These modes of communication do not disturb physically....Not an ounce of decibel is heard...You're free to ignore...You can also unfollow/unfriend/block the individual at your own volition.

But you know what?

The average religious person wants it to stop, they say it's intolerance. Some even claim its borne out of hate.

The worst part is...they still want to maintain their own freedom of religious expression, while suppressing your own freedom of speech.

They say that's what God wants![/b]

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ValentineMary(m): 11:36am On Apr 28, 2016
Nice work here bro really love ur work and logic.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by johnydon22(m): 11:49am On Apr 28, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]^^^
WHY ARE YOU SO INTOLERANT OF GOD?
You can be sure that multiples times every week, I get messages by PMs from people who are so sure that I have unbridled animosity against/towards God and say this thread is filled with the darkest shades of unscrupulousness. I even get to chuckle when I am accused of being bitter and angry with God. Did I talk of the threats and how some have vowed to send me to Hell early if they get hold of me in person? Oh yes, I am the intolerant one, right!
Let's look at it this way: In a particular big estate, there are 20 owners of 20,000 houses. Each of the owners has at least 500 houses each except one man named John who owns just one house. Yet the rest 19 fellow owners would not stop harassing him for owning the single house. Illogical, right? I thought so too.
The average religious Nigerian believes he/she has an inalienable right to evangelism. Hence, they go from house to house, door to door, room to room, office to office, organization to organization...evangelizing.
The public transportation system is not spared...'good morning my brothers and sisters' ....They shout, they preach, they threaten... They pass leaflets, they pass invites...often times they pass envelopes for donations.
You think they are done ......Nope!
They take to the public address systems, television networks, radios, churches, crusades....They disturb the peace...you can barely have a goodnight sleep if one of their joints happen to be in your neighborhood.
To cap it up ...political institutions are on their side.. They often dictate to a large extent what happens there. The recent Gender Equality bill was squashed when a Senator from the North stood up in the Chambers to say it is UnIslamic. The 14-year gay bill was passed because they believe the Bible does not give room for homosexuals. The war against Boko Haram was complicated because Northern elders believed a war against them is a war against Islam. Constitutionally, Nigeria is a secular state, but our laws have religious undertones.
Mind you, in their minds, they don't think they are disturbing anyone. Their door-to-door evangelism is a dictate from God. Their all-night vigils disturbing the neighbour is to God. All their acts are from God. Since it's from God, everyone has to take it.
This has been happening for centuries. In the past people were killed, often harassed if you dared try to criticize. It's still being done in fundamentalist societies.
Then the door opens: The average Nigerian atheist.
They don't have your time. They have been psychologically beaten to suppression.
They don't distribute leaflets or worse, carry public address system.
They have found solace on the social media and internet forums. They have decided to express themselves freely...Criticisms, Satire, Jokes and often times Debates. Like me, they ask alot of questions and are open-minded to learn.
These modes of communication do not disturb physically....Not an ounce of decibel is heard...You're free to ignore...You can also unfollow/unfriend/block the individual at your own volition.

But you know what?

The average religious person wants it to stop, they say it's intolerance. Some even claim its borne out of hate.
The worst part is...they still want to maintain their own freedom of religious expression, while suppressing your own freedom of speech.
They say that's what God wants![/b]

The Christian Faith is a very insecure and fragile one that needs to be protected all the time against independent reason..

it is their God given mandate to criticize, insult other religions even burn their places of worship while preaching, banging and literally forcing theirs down your throat but it is persecution when theirs is criticized.

i have never seen such unparalleled hypocrisy.

Christians shout Persecution not when they are not getting equal rights but when they are not getting more rights than others or rights to persecute others.

Nicely done Joe

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 28, 2016
rawgame:
@joseph1013, Why is the background theme of this your crusade filled with so much animosity towards God whose existence you don't want to accept? Well, my precious faith in God is still intact after having gone through the turbulence of your unscrupulous thread. I feel sorry for those whose faith you have shattered.
grin Comments like this make you appear weak & helpless. Telling us your precious faith in God is still intact after going through the thread, makes me feel the opposite is actually the case grin

Tell us what we don't know, address the many valid questions & assertions the op has asked or made or remain silent & leave.

Well, i'm not an atheist, but i don't run away from valid questions about God, either.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Stconvict(m): 5:05pm On Apr 28, 2016
stephenmorris:
my dear as for me my atheism is secret for now. I'm not ready to be discriminated o
At first I was scared to tell anyone. I felt they will attack me or stay away from me.
Then there was a time I just didn't care and I made everyone around me know.
My mum was really pissed. She is still making me go to church.
I don't stay with my dad, so I give little shit about what he thinks about it.
Well it is not the same as before, my friends now see an agnostic in their midst.
And they don't like bringing up religious issues around me cos I will argue. I can't help listening to bullshit.
However, I won't advice someone whose dad is an evangelist to come out when he is still under dad.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 28, 2016
Stconvict:

At first I was scared to tell anyone. I felt they will attack me or stay away from me.
Then there was a time I just didn't care and I made everyone around me know.
My mum was really pissed. She is still making me go to church.
I don't stay with my dad, so I give little shit about what he thinks about it.
Well it is not the same as before, my friends now see an agnostic in their midst.
And they don't like bringing up religious issues around me cos I will argue. I can't help listening to bullshit.
However, I won't advice someone whose dad is an evangelist to come out when he is still under dad.
you are correct bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (130) (Reply)

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.