Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,108 members, 7,946,723 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 05:26 AM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (74026 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
ghostlady your name is scary embarassed hope it won't make me lose concentration
lol but y wuld u lose concentration?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
Bhenehdikt:

On the contrary,i think i'd wana sit with her in class...#seatreserved for two.
this one you always sitting close to ladies, remember no sorting in this course cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ghostlady:
lol but y wuld u lose concentration?
just come closer let me tell you the good news grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Bhenehdikt(m): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
this one you always sitting close to ladies, remember no sorting in this course cheesy

my brains usually think more faster when i'm seated amongst them..I wana impress u knw..dat kind thing.
Uncle Laykorn am ready for lectures
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 30, 2014
Bhenehdikt:

On the contrary,i think i'd wana sit with her in class...#seatreserved for two.
wow thanks...sits down next to him and smiles
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 30, 2014

*walks into class dragging donifez with horse-whip in hand for students that derail. Herald9 and ghostlady, take note*

Hi class.

We have a few announcements to make before our class.

1) We noticed that many of the teachers have gone deep into technical topics while our class is still on the free verse style. For those who are already getting bored with free verse, the free verse classes will be concluded today. Thank you.

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
Book and pen with ink...
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
*Enters class in a Ferrari* cool

Ghostlady, sorry I came late. Oya, shift make I siddon. Oga Laykorn, contunu
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
just come closer let me tell you the good news grin
just tell me from whr you are.i dont want to get flogged for walking about...sad
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
The last assignment I and laykorn gave this class was done by only 4 people. preshurzpeal, ghostlady, samguine and youngcrysta. Since we will be finishing our classes on free verse today, we have decided to set a short test on 'free verse'. This will enable us keep a record of the students who has a certificate in the free verse style. grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
ghostlady your name is scary embarassed hope it won't make me lose concentration
The only things you gonna lose are your teeth, if you don't take your eyes off her.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by herald9: 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2014
#nods and smiles at everyone...
#walks to the backsmiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
[b]Now to the class

Topic: Free Verse And The Use Of Stanzas

In an introduction class to free verse, I said that writing in free verse has no rules than the general rules that apply to poetry. And there is only one general rule that applies to all styles and forms of poetry. The rule is to make your work look like poetry.

How do you make your work look like poetry?

To make your work look like poetry, you have to make use of poetic devices. There are a lot of peotic devices. Among, is the imagery, the rhythm, the rhyme, and the use of the stanza.

In this class, I and donifez are going to discuss the use of stanzas in your free verse poem.

The use of stanzas arranges your poetry work in what is called a stanzaic arrangement. The stanzaic arrangement is never used in prose unlike some other devices. Therefore, whenever you arrange your work in the stanzaic arrangement, it makes the reader sure that your work is poetry and not prose.

Almost every poem that has been written before was arranged in stanzas. So, to make your poem a poem, you have to arrange it in stanzas.[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
Samguine:

The only things you gonna lose are your teeth, if you don't take your eyes off her.
ah cheesy don't tell me you eyeing my ghostrider
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
In poetry, a stanza is a grouped set of lines within a
poem, usually set off from other stanzas by a blank
line or different indentation.[1] Stanzas can have
regular rhyme and metrical schemes, though
stanzas are not strictly required to have either.
www.wikepedia.com
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ghostlady:
just tell me from whr you are.i dont want to get flogged for walking about...sad
don't be scared am the course rep wink
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
Imagine that you're visiting someone house for the first time, and they're giving you a tour. As you go from room to room, you'll notice that each room serves a different purpose and have a different feel to it. For example, the kitchen has a different feel than a bathroom (and it certainly has a different purpose!). Still the combination of these rooms make the house complete. That is the same way stanzas work(room) that links to each other to make a house (poem) complete.
Infact stanza literally means 'room' in Italian.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
Some backbenchers are disturbing uncle
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:15pm On Dec 30, 2014
The blank line between stanzas is known as stanza break. however there are name of stanzas of certain lengths: two line stanzas are couplets, three line stanzas are tercets,four-line are quatrains (Rarer terms, like sixains and quatorzains,are very rarely used).
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2014
[b]Types Of Stanzas

1.Couplet - a two line stanza
The couplet most times comes with both lines rhyming.

Eg:

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

This short poem by Gwendolyn Brooks is written in 5 couplets. Notice that everyone of the lines in the couplets except for the last one rhyme.

2.Triplet or Tercet - a three line stanza
The triplet comes most times with an aba rhyme pattern. It comes sometimes in an aab rhyme pattern too. This is common in ballads*( will be treated soon). Remember that when you're writing in free verse, you don't have to follow a rhyme pattern for your stanza although following a rhyme pattern is acceptable. It just makes it less of free verse which is often more interesting.

Eg.

I have been one acquainted with the night. (a)
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain. (b)
I have outwalked the furthest city light. (a)

I have looked down the saddest city lane. (a)
I have passed by the watchman on his beat (b)
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain. (a)

Robert Frost - Acquainted With The Night.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2014
[b]

3.Quatrain - a four line stanza

The quatrain is probably the most common stanza in Modern English Poetry. A common rhyming pattern of the stanza is the stanza pattern common in ballads which comes with an 'abxb' pattern where the 3rd line is the odd one out. Remember that your quatrain doesn't have to have a rhyming pattern if you're writing in free verse or any other style that doesn't have a prescribed rhyming pattern.

Your quitrain can also come in an 'aabb' or 'abab' pattern.

5.Setstet (Sextet) - a six line stanza

Now, let's take a look at the sestet, which has six
lines. Although sestets appear often in poems with
rhyme and meter. Ie, setstets are not usually used in free verse. They also play an important role in
a peculiar poetic form called the sestina. A sestina
is a 39-line poem made of six sestets and one tercet. Instead of relying on rhyme and meter for organization, a sestina repeats the last words of the first six lines (or teleutons) in different patterns.

Here are the first two stanzas of a 'Sestina' by Elizabeth Bishop:

September rain falls on the house.
In the failing light, the old grandmother
sits in the kitchen with the child
beside the Little Marvel Stove,
reading the jokes from the almanac,
laughing and talking to hide her tears.

These are the most common stanzas. Other types will be touched briefly in our next class and they are.

Quintet - a five line stanza

Septet - a seven line stanza

Octave - an eight line stanza
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2014
HERALD9 welcome back to class
samguine my mb finished.am managing my android to attend the class.not finding it easy to type on it sef
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Infomizer(m): 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2014
Brooks' poem is a beauty to listen to!

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2014
Please, If you have any question "Ask and you shall be answered".
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
Any questions before we proceed?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:26pm On Dec 30, 2014
Bhenehdikt shift your head small your blocking my view
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:26pm On Dec 30, 2014
#Question
Is it possible to mix them together while writing e.g using a couplet and a triplet at the same time?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2014
i have a question but that ll be after the class because its on sonnet...
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
E be like say you wan chop cane. Stop derailing cheesy
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2014
harrysterol:
Ouch!..I knw my head is big,but plz kindly come to the front harrysterol.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2014
Bhenehdikt:
#Question
Is it possible to mix them together while writing e.g using a couplet and a triplet at the same time?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2014
Bhenehdikt:
#Question
yes. It will be possible if you're writing in free verse or a style without a specified stanza pattern.

But remember that a consistent pattern is always so beautiful, although sometimes, someone just needs to be in-consistent cheesy

Ayamlaykorn

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.