Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,296 members, 7,881,092 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:15 PM

Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. (5084 Views)

Questions For Atheists ( Answer your easiest 5) / Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System / Do You Think Jesus Is God? If Yes Then Answer These Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
How did eyes come into existence? The eyes works like camera and like the camera, it needs a physicist to position the lens in order that the rays coming from the object can be reproduced inverted at the back of the eyes, which is then translated by the brain as erect. Who thought evolution physics? If this isn't the work of God, who did? Nature? Answer pls. Simple question demands simple answer, don't beat about the bush.

The human eye belongs to a general group of eyes found in nature called "camera-type eyes." Instead of film, the human eye focuses light onto a light sensitive membrane called the retina.
Here’s how the human eye is put together and how it works:
The cornea is a transparent structure found in the very front of the eye that helps to focus incoming light. Behind the cornea is a colored ring-shaped membrane called the iris. The iris has an adjustable circular opening called the pupil, which can expand or contract depending on the amount of light entering the eye. [The 7 Biggest Mysteries of the Human Body]

LiveScience Graphic
Image courtesy of 3DScience.com

A clear fluid called the aqueous humor fills the space between the cornea and the iris.
Situated behind the pupil is a colorless, transparent structure called the crystalline lens. Ciliary muscles surround the lens. The muscles hold the lens in place but they also play an important role in vision.
When the muscles relax, they pull on and flatten the lens, allowing the eye to see objects that are far away. To see closer objects clearly, the ciliary muscle must contract in order to thicken the lens.
The interior chamber of the eyeball is filled with a jelly-like tissue called the vitreous humor. After passing through the lens, light must travel through this humor before striking the sensitive layer of cells called the retina.
The retina is the innermost of three tissue layers that make up the eye. The outermost layer, called the sclera, is what gives most of the eyeball its white color. The cornea is also a part of outer layer.
The middle layer between the retina and sclera is called the choroid. The choroid contains blood vessels that supply the retina with nutrients and oxygen and removes its waste products. [Image Gallery: Eye Implant Restores Some Vision to Blind]
Embedded in the retina are millions of light sensitive cells, which come in two main varieties: rods and cones.
Rods are good for monochrome vision in poor light, while cones are used for color and for the detection of fine detail. Cones are packed into a part of the retina directly behind the retina called the fovea.
When light strikes either the rods or the cones of the retina, it's converted into an electric signal that is relayed to the brain via the optic nerve. The brain then translates the electrical signals into the images we see.
http://m.livescience.com/3919-human-eye-works.html

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:17pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kay17 Ifeness xcapist cold I'm sure ya all won't disappoint.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
Let's say we don't know how eyes came to be...does the ignorance of a subject give merit to the idea of "god"?...or is it a label to mask ignorance?...because if I asked how "god" did it,you'd have no answer.
And point of correction the eyes are flawed...ask an optician what floaters are and you'll realise one design flaw after the other..
Perhaps our ignorance of black holes should be answered by "god did it" too,would it solve anything?...or just provide a label to mask ignorance?

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Let's say we don't know how eyes came to be...does the ignorance of a subject give merit to the idea of "god"?...or is it a label to mask ignorance?...because if I asked how "god" did it,you'd have no answer.
And point of correction the eyes are flawed...ask an optician what floaters are and you'll realise one design flaw after the other..
If you can't answer it, then that means there is still possibility of God doing it. In fact, it is impossible that something as sophisticated as human eyes was done through evolution.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:31pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Perhaps our ignorance of black holes should be answered by "god did it" too,would it solve anything?...or just provide a label to mask ignorance?
Atheism and science can't go together.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
If you can't answer it, then that means there is still possibility of God doing it. In fact, it is impossible that something as sophisticated as human eyes was done through evolution.
If one cannot identify a "god",then how can one attribute things to a "god"?
If you cannot identify that a tooth fairy exists,then how can you attribute tooth missing from pillows as its handiwork?
And on the grounds of evolution,i'll ask you a very simple set of questions of which the first one is this..were all the present forms of life created by "god" with their various features necessary for their survival?

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
Atheism and science can't go together.
This is a straw man...they are both secular and the former is just a lack of belief in "god/gods" which is something science cannot objectively verify or even hypothesis to exist also...
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:37pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
If one cannot identify a "god",then how can one attribute things to a "god"?
If you cannot identify that a tooth fairy exists,then how can you attribute tooth missing from pillows as its handiwork?
And on the grounds of evolution,i'll ask you a very simple set of questions of which the first one is this..were all the present forms of life created with their various features necessary for their survival?
Have you seen why I said atheism and science can't go together? If Newton didn't reason that for objects to fall, a force must be pulling it towards itself, where in the world would the priceless knowledge of gravity and its laws come from? Apply this to what we are discussing.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
Have you seen why I said atheism and science can't go together? If Newton didn't reason that for objects to fall, a force must be pulling it towards itself, where in the world would the priceless knowledge of gravity and its laws come from? Apply this to what we are discussing.
Forces were identified before things were attributed to forces...and the knowledge of gravity and its laws are general statements that are true under certain conditions(i.e presence of mass or a false vacuum)...you have no case emmalot121.
You are just making one empty assertion after the other.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:43pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
This is a straw man...they are both secular and the former is just a lack of belief in "god/gods" which is something science cannot objectively verify or even hypothesis to exist also...
Atheism is faith, can you prove the nonexistence of God? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Atheists hope that God doesn't exist though you can't prove his nonexistence. You hope afterlife doesn't exist though you aren't sure it doesn't. Back your faith, before critiquing that of others.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Forces were identified before things were attributed to forces...and the knowledge of gravity and its laws are general statements that are true under certain conditions(i.e presence of mass or a false vacuum)...you have no case emmalot121.
You are just making one empty assertion after the other.
The same way the complexity of life was identified before attributing it to God. Tell me, can an unintelligent process create this masterpiece?
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Longstride: 7:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
[b]
An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator God would create organisms that have optimal design.

Organisms have features that are suboptimal.

Therefore, God either did not create these organisms or is not omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent.

There are at least six major design flaws in the human eye.

1. Misplacement of the photoreceptor cells

As already mentioned in the above quote from Dawkins, the photoreceptor cells of the human eye point away from the light source, putting all the cabling in front. Only a very small fraction of the light entering the eye is effectively captured by the receptors.

2. Each eye has a blind spot

Because the nerve fibers route before the receptor cells (the retina), they have to pass through the retina in order to leave the eye to the brain. At this spot, there can’t be any receptors, causing a blind spot in each eye (click here for a little demo). At the website of Online Psychology Laboratory you can try a program to map your blind spots.

3. Deviation from perfection

At several places in the eye, the structures are less than perfect. The lens has not a constant refraction index, the visual axis is not identical to the optical axis, the curvature of the eye is not symmetrical, …

4. Blood vessels block the entering light

The blood vessels that feed the receptor cells sit on top of the retina – between the light source and the receptive layer. The estimated prevalence rate for retinopathy, e.g. severe loss of sight, for US adults 40 years and older is about 50%. It is caused by proliferated blood vessels obstructing the light.

5. The price for the transparency of the lens

Because the lens has to be transparent, the nutrition of it has to be done by means of the fluid, surrounding it. The inner cells of the lens thus have a hard time to get the necessary nutrients and the lens becomes gradually less flexible with age.

6. The retina varies considerably in its sensitivity

There is only one, rather little, spot (the fovea) with high resolution. In order to see accurately, we have to move our eyes constantly.

source

[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:54pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
Atheism is faith, can you prove the nonexistence of God? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Atheists hope that God doesn't exist though you can't prove his nonexistence. You hope afterlife doesn't exist though you aren't sure it doesn't. Back your faith, before critiquing that of others.
Nice equivocation fallacy....using the bibles definition of faith to lie is a mighty feat for a christian...isn't the verse hebrews 11:1?
It is not my duty to prove the non-existence of "god" because it has never been proven,only labelled on things(evident by this entire thread).
And by your definition you have faith allah doesn't exist because you can't prove it does...
So perhaps you should stop and think clearly before painting yourself into a corner.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Longstride: 7:58pm On Dec 20, 2014
jeez ... This emmalot guy's unintelligence alone is proof enough that there is no intelligent design.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 7:59pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
The same way the complexity of life was identified before attributing it to God. Tell me, can an unintelligent process create this masterpiece?
Yes....Dna is ruled by unintelligible processes that make a human being following its biochemical potential.
And if life is attributed to "god" like basic understanding you won't need faith now would you? undecided
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:00pm On Dec 20, 2014
Longstride:

[color=#000099][font=times new roman][b][i]
An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator God would create organisms that have optimal design.

Organisms have features that are suboptimal.

Therefore, God either did not create these organisms or is not omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent.

These are pointless and baseless. The complexity of the eyes I think should bother us more than how we wished it to be. Even if these are actually defects, it should rather amaze you how its still possible we can see, even with these perceived 'defects'.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:02pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Nice equivocation fallacy....using the bibles definition of faith to lie is a mighty feat for a christian...isn't the verse hebrews 11:1?
It is not my duty to prove the non-existence of "god" because it has never been proven,only labelled on things(evident by this entire thread).
And by your definition you have faith allah doesn't exist because you can't prove it does...
So perhaps you should stop and think clearly before painting yourself into a corner.. smiley
I have the proof of God's existence
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 8:03pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
These are pointless and baseless. The complexity of the eyes I think should bother us more than how we wished it to be. Even if these are actually defects, it should rather amaze you how its still possible we can see, even with these perceived 'defects'.
The fact that defects can be spotted wreaks it being intelligently designed by "god"

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
I have the proof of God's existence
Is it demonstrable?
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:05pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Is it demonstrable?
Atheists argue that life popped out of nothing, therefore God is not needed in the equation. They are quick at using M and B word. They say Earth is billions of years old and man is millions of years old and evolved from tiny organisms. They have refused to give us detailed reasons why it took so long and every process man took, if possible catalyze the whole process, subsequently giving us a human being.
Let me use the experiment that Galileo Galilei used to stun the entire world of science; the experiment that every object falls at same rate when air resistance is absent. To do this, we have to pump out the air to give us a vacuum (though logic tells us the vacuum is something, the absence of air molecules gives us a perfect example of nothing since we are only concerned about the air molecules and its emptiness.)
Through this experiment, we see that for nothing(absence of air molecules) to exist, something must have triggered it. What if we want to get our air molecules back(a very important component of life itself)? Should we wait for a few days, months, years or centuries for air molecules to pop out of nothing? A sane mind will realise that something can't come out of nothing but nothing can come out of something. This proof singlehandedly shows that the genesis of the 'faith' of atheists is shaky.
Since its now being proofed that life started from something and not nothing (even nothing must come from something,) we can then try to highlight the properties and characteristics this something must possess:
1) Must be called God because everything was created by him because without him was anything made that was made.
2) He must be infinite because he is infinity, he came from infinity, therefore he has no source, neither can he have an end because he is infinite.
3) He must be all powerful and infinitely intelligent. The works of his hands are sufficient proof.
4) He must possess properties beyond normal, properties beyond our wisdom e.g an invisible Spirit. People will wish to argue this one but Hebrews 11:3 says: Through faith, we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that "things which are seen are not made of things which do appear". This applies to everything in the universe, including you and this knowledge is applied in the making of televisions and phones.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:07pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Do you have a better definition of faith?
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Longstride: 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
These are pointless and baseless.

prove it, otherwise this is an empty statement.
I can as well say that I am Yahweh...or that I live on mars.

The complexity of the eyes I think should bother us more than how we wished it to be. Even if these are actually defects, it should rather amaze you how its still possible we can see, even with these perceived 'defects'.

our seeing doesn't change the fact that it's suboptimal...maybe you should look up the word.
A dog with three legs can still walk ...doesn't mean it has no defect.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:17pm On Dec 20, 2014
Longstride:

prove it, otherwise this is an empty statement.
I can as well say that I am Yahweh...or that I live on mars.

our seeing doesn't change the fact that it's suboptimal...maybe you should look up the word.
A dog with three legs can still walk ...doesn't mean it has no defect.
I will resist every attempt to make simple a structure as complex as the human eye. How did nature device the human eye, with 'defects' (I still don't know if using that word to describe something working as this is optimal.)
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 8:27pm On Dec 20, 2014
Professing to be wise, they became fools.-St. Paul.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Longstride: 8:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
I will resist every attempt to make simple a structure as complex as the human eye.

How did nature device the human eye, with 'defects'

I was interested in healing your God-did-it blindness.
I never said I was an evolutionist.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 8:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
Atheists argue that life popped out of nothing, therefore God is not needed in the equation. They are quick at using M and B word. They say Earth is billions of years old and man is millions of years old and evolved from tiny organisms. They have refused to give us detailed reasons why it took so long and every process man took, if possible catalyze the whole process, subsequently giving us a human being.
Let me use the experiment that Galileo Galilei used to stun the entire world of science; the experiment that every object falls at same rate when air resistance is absent. To do this, we have to pump out the air to give us a vacuum (though logic tells us the vacuum is something, the absence of air molecules gives us a perfect example of nothing since we are only concerned about the air molecules and its emptiness.)
Through this experiment, we see that for nothing(absence of air molecules) to exist, something must have triggered it. What if we want to get our air molecules back(a very important component of life itself)? Should we wait for a few days, months, years or centuries for air molecules to pop out of nothing? A sane mind will realise that something can't come out of nothing but nothing can come out of something. This proof singlehandedly shows that the genesis of the 'faith' of atheists is shaky.
Since its now being proofed that life started from something and not nothing (even nothing must come from something,) we can then try to highlight the properties and characteristics this something must possess:
1) Must be called God because everything was created by him because without him was anything made that was made.
2) He must be infinite because he is infinity, he came from infinity, therefore he has no source, neither can he have an end because he is infinite.
3) He must be all powerful and infinitely intelligent. The works of his hands are sufficient proof.
4) He must possess properties beyond normal, properties beyond our wisdom e.g an invisible Spirit. People will wish to argue this one but Hebrews 11:3 says: Through faith, we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that "things which are seen are not made of things which do appear". This applies to everything in the universe, including you and this knowledge is applied in the making of televisions and phones.
Your premises go against the fundamentals of thermodynamics....energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
A vacuum still contains vacuum energy and quantum flunctuations which allows something to virtually come from nothing...this increases with phenomena at the planck length...which we can detect the universe had originally been at such a state.
And your entire post reeks of a goal...hence the "must be called god","him",etc so make a cogent post and stop special pleading for "god"..

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Your premises go against the fundamentals of thermodynamics....energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
A vacuum still contains vacuum energy and quantum flunctuations which allows something to virtually come from nothing...this increases with phenomena at the planck length...which we can detect the universe had originally been at such a state.
And your entire post reeks of a goal...hence the "must be called god","him",etc so make a cogent post and stop special pleading for "god"..
I think I wrote in my post that though nothing itself is something, the absence of air molecules gives the perfect representation of nothingness. For nothing to be able to create at all, it has to be something.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 9:16pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
I used vacuum in order to derive nothing. Vacuum and nothing are two different things, vacuum is the absence of air molecules, nothing is the act of nonexistence. We also have to know that we can't use any test to test whether nothing did start the universe, since we need to use something to bring out nothing. All we can use is logic.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by davien(m): 9:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
I used vacuum in order to derive nothing. Vacuum and nothing are two different things, vacuum is the absence of air molecules, nothing is the act of nonexistence. We also have to know that we can't use any test to test whether nothing did start the universe, since we need to use something to bring out nothing. All we can use is logic.
Good...so at what point in time was there ever a non-existence?...
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 9:39pm On Dec 20, 2014
davien:
Good...so at what point in time was there ever a non-existence?...
This is what I was trying to say, the world started from something and not nothing, nonexistence couldn't start our world, this something is God.
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by ooman(m): 9:46pm On Dec 20, 2014
Emmalot121:
This is what I was trying to say, the world started from something and not nothing, nonexistence couldn't start our world, this something is God.

And how did god start?
Re: Atheists, Answer These Simple Questions. by Emmalot121(m): 9:55pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

And how did god start?
How did atom start?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. / What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? / *

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.