Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,006 members, 7,883,474 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 11:21 AM

A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' (2861 Views)

Fielding Jonathan, A Mistake – Dr. Raymond Dokpesi / Zahra Buhari Calls President Jammeh Of Gambia A ‘child Fucker’ / Mark Zuckerberg Calls President Goodluck Jonathan (Parody Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by atlwireles: 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
tuborme:
For the first time, we are celebrating christmas without the price of food items rising. This is happening while the exchange rate is going up. It goes a long way to proove that this administration has done a lot in making us food sufficient. In the past, the price of rice could have shot into the air, but with improved local production, supply is outwiting the demand. Economic indices are calculated based on the living standards of the populace. The present government understands the role of SMEs in growing the economy. Giving opportunity and level playing ground for all to survive is what makes the difference between the USA and nigeria. He is seriously destroying oligarchy and promoting capitalism which promotes hard work. Gone are the days when people sit at home after school waiting for government employment. Today's nigeria requires you to use your academic skills to employ others. This is what drives both the chinese and the american economy.

Corruption is not fought on tv screens as Obasanjo did, corruption and theft are better fought by strengthening institutions and providing internal frameworks for checks and balances to take place continually. This will make fighting corruption a continual affair not minding the government or party in power. The use of biometrics in civil service is a typical example of using institutions to fight theft and corruption. Our long stay with the military has made us loose touch with due process ways of doing things. You do not expect the judge to throw somebody into prison without evidence of committing any crime. I will continue this write-up another day.

Nothing do you., thanks.
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by abbey4christ(m): 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
Joke or Joke #Yoruba name
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by alexis007(m): 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
see goat in one corner arging about food economic s when it is more clear than crystal to someone in Ghana that we have a drunkard for a president.......ewu, this one you are talking food economics,have Jonathan fed you and your family the way Jesus fed five thousand and then asked you to come here and sing his praises?.…….anyway Shaa........#StillNotInterestedInWhoRules
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
Change2015:

Because if there was an excess of supply, then prices would drop. As it is many Nigerians have made their economies, few people dare to dream of Turkey for Christmas, decorations are barely selling, business is close to stagnant. This is what the government has reduced us to. Permanent managers of diminishing resources, while they gather 4bn at a dinner party to use for election spending!

I want us to discuss Nigerian economy as two gentle men because I know that our views are studied by those in/close to government

How do you know that demand is low.?

Do you trade.?

If yes , is it related to food item.

If no, are you close to those in the food business.

Let's discuss without insulting each other
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by tuborme: 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
Change2015:

This is amusing. So you imagine that a political party looking to distribute rice will go to Iddo or whatever market you imagine? When they have the phone numbers of the major importers at hand? Even the t-shirt and face caps, pens etc have been ordered from China already and will further stall demand in the local market. Sure food is an essential good, but what is the point of a product that does not sell out in December? Is it in January that we will have more money, or bills to meet. Electricity prices are rising, taxes are rising, where is all this disposable income you imagine people have? As for housing, please have a look at swathes of lekki and even ikoyi. Empty estates, empty apartment blocks, rents do not rise in this area, only service charges (after all who has a decent supply of electricity anywhere in Nigeria?) otherwise people will see better value elsewhere. Disposable income is being stretched under this government.

At the end of the day, there is only a certain volume of rice we can eat, and if it comes free from politicians then the local marketers will be deprived of those customers.

If electricity tarrif do not go up, investors wont come...so you can not privatise, if subsidy is not removed on fuel, refineries can not work. If we want to become a developed country like china and the SA, we must be ready to do what they did. They did not attain greatness on fields of free education and government running businesses. You can not eat your cake and have it. Subsidies encourage laziness while removing them will spur real competition.

The military, led by Buhari and IBB brought all these upon us in other to keep us down from revolting. If must move forward as a nation, we must jettison the military baggages of the past and take bold steps into the future like we are doing in the agricultural sector. We must also jettison the constitution and the judicial system they handed over to us.
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by LRNZH(m): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
tuborme:

If electricity tarrif do not go up, investors wont come...so you can not privatise, if subsidy is not removed on fuel, refineries can not work. If we want to become a developed country like china and the SA, we must be ready to do what they did. They did not attain greatness on fields of free education and government running businesses. You can not eat your cake and have it. Subsidies encourage laziness while removing them will spur real competition.

The military, led by Buhari and IBB brought all these upon us in other to keep us down from revolting. If must move forward as a nation, we must jettison the military baggages of the past and take bold steps into the future like we are doing in the agricultural sector. We must also jettison the constitution and the judicial system they handed over to us.

Brother man... E be like say na as u dey hawk on top bridges u learn this quack economics theory.

Pls stop. It is painful to read.
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by tommytim: 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
smh for some pple though,.....

but I'd just say,...to re-elect a president or governor, then he must have done have done more good than harm in his first tenure. with over 200girls said to be missing, what good can cover that?? TIME TO TRY SOMEONE ELSE!!!

##as someone said TRULY, Christmas is no longer like Christmas##....don't know the reason though.

1 Like

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by kaboninc(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
Change2015:

Please understand that there is little money in circulation and the average family has very little disposable income. In this atmosphere price rises are unthinkable because the demand for the product will collapse. In better years Nigerians have seen evidence of Christmas from the second week of November. Today given a chance many will even go to the office to avoid the attendant expenditure. Go and ask all the marketers how business is. My office is in a central part of the island, to spot a Christmas hamper has become a rare thing, printers are struggling to even find cards and calendars to print. How many people are sewing new clothes for Christmas? Please your argument is false and deceptive. People have little to spend so the market recognises that and keeps prices steady or even drops prices to stimulate business. Basic economics.

If his is false, yours is the worst!

Saying you can't spot Christmas hampers, that is ridiculous! I work on the island too and I can tell you that for the past few days, increased activities due to the season is costing businesses spent on unnecessary traffic.

Everywhere is block because these women and men line up their hampers and products just to sell. There is an increase in business activities, from those buying cloths, shoes, utensils, etc.

True he said, the exchange rate is up but prices are relatively stable. Please make better research befor concluding.

Thanks and happy Sunday.
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by Change2015(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
kaboninc:

If his is false, yours is the worst!

Saying you can't spot Christmas hampers, that is ridiculous! I work on the island too and I can tell you that for the past few days, increased activities due to the season is costing businesses spent on unnecessary traffic.

Everywhere is block because these women and men line up their hampers and products just to sell. There is an increase in business activities, from those buying cloths, shoes, utensils, etc.

True he said, the exchange rate is up but prices are relatively stable. Please make better research befor concluding.

Thanks and happy Sunday.

Saying that hampers have become a rare sight is not the same as saying they cannot be seen. Comprehension 101. And I am not talking about those hampers awaiting sale in the market. In a good year, Lagos is jammed from middle of November with shoppers, now fewer people travel and there is less shopping. The signs are all around even if you refuse to acknowledge them because you have an agenda. Times are hard for the average Nigerian. Trying to praise Jonathan for signs of increasing poverty is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by tuborme: 5:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
LRNZH:

Brother man... E be like say na as u dey hawk on top bridges u learn this quack economics theory.

Pls stop. It is painful to read.

Stop being subjective and raining insults, the debates we are making here are what we expect from the opposition parties and not talking of how the president dresses or what he chooses to wear. If you are saying that the present administration is not handling the economy well, you should be able to tell us what you aim to do in lifting the economy. For instance;

Are you going to bring back fuel subsidies?
Are you going to remove agricultural subsidies?
Are you going to cancel power sector privatisation?
Are you going to reduce power tariff?
Are you going to cancel the national conference?
Are you going to repeal the auto industry bill?
Are you going to reverse the railway contracts?
Are you going to stop the almajiri schools?
How do you intend to help SMEs?

We need real answers to these questions and not name calling. We can not vote for you when we dont know what to expect.

Obama got a lot of votes when he promised medical reforms and to close Guantanamo.

If somebody's solution to a problem is not suitable to you....let us know how you aim to tackle them. It is called democracy....and not wasting time calling names like motor park touts as many in the opposition really do. I watched with bitterness, the way Buhari tackled economic questions on Channel's Tv the other time. I had expected the APC to have fielded a better qualified candidate than Buhari. There are a lot of smart guys in that party that could have given the president a run for his votes (including mine) and not Buhari with all the cloud hanging around his personality especially as it concerns religion and support to private businesses. APC should have done better.

Thank you and keep the debate alive for a better nigeria.
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by oyinkel(m): 8:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
Seriously, are plp being paid to make case in favour of their choice candidates or it's just over zealousness. Because am awestruck by the ease with which we turn a blind eye to the obvious. #SMH

1 Like

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by tit(f): 8:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
LRNZH:

Nigeria (under GEJ) has made bad choices, not hard choices. - Hillary Clinton (May, 2014)
is that why she refused to label boko haram a terrorist organization?
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by size40: 10:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
so GEJ mumu don reach international level?

1 Like

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by Change2015(m): 10:45am On Dec 22, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

I want us to discuss Nigerian economy as two gentle men because I know that our views are studied by those in/close to government

How do you know that demand is low.?

Do you trade.?

If yes , is it related to food item.

If no, are you close to those in the food business.

Let's discuss without insulting each other

Agreed. I will tell you that I know people who supply major food outlets, and a few major consumers too. I know people who import clothing to sell. I am close to members of the national association of small scale manufacturers... Even in my business the response is the same, business is slow, and the market is price sensitive. A friend just lost a property letting deal because his rival persuaded his landlord to accept payment in two parts, 50% deferred. This is what we are facing daily. If you don't give a regular customer credit, he may disappear. I am actually in a better position than most, but I sympathise strongly with my fellows. The majority around me are feeling economic stress. Every blessed week I get calls and emails from job hunters, and you must have noticed how many jobs are now commission only or mostly commission based. Even your transport fare and feeding cannot be guaranteed. How can I be a good citizen if I can't see what others are going through? Come Christmas day lagos public transport will be choked by people taking advantage of the fare-free holiday. These are not signs of increasing prosperity.

1 Like

Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by Change2015(m): 11:18am On Dec 22, 2014
tuborme:

You pose too many questionable points. Electricity prices have risen an will rise again this month, and yet the government itself has loaned money to the investors and criticised their lack of investment in the distribution network and generation. Even to supply meters to all consumers has proved beyond them. Your point is not well made. As for subsidy, why do you accept there is a subsidy in the first place? Explain how we subsidise our oil and I will come back. After how long with SureP is there any refinery working at over 40% capacity? No.
Exactly what did China privatise in order to 'develop'? China is still essentially a state-directed economy, with the army very much involved and' friends' of government at the top of every industry. In spite of this China has a firm policy to develop itself to avoid overthrow by a restive jobless population. So they steal and develop technology and favour their own companies in every way. They have even forced Boeing and airbus to setup in the country if they want to sell their planes there. They also have a good education sector that produces quality workers. There is so much more... But contrast that with the lack of direction we have. Education is generally rubbish, cheap Chinese textiles have killed our textile industry, the Chinese are building our railways, we buy China phones and Huawei is the backbone of our telecoms infrastructure! We even contracted them to build our satellite, and we called it development! Sad to say but too many people want salary without work here, and we do nothing to promote or encourage efficiency in any sector. The government is the be all of the economy and even bankers and industrialists must bow before it. When in America, the president is happy to take photos with Bill Gates. I salute dangote for being the countries largest employer in the private sector, but we know how he got there, and his monopolistic tendencies are legend. As long as we have the wrong attitude and incoherent policies that mostly favour importation over local production, as long as we lack electricity, a quality judicial system, education system, what exactly are we hoping to 'develop'?
Re: A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' by grandstar(m): 11:57am On Dec 22, 2014
tit:
the world renowned economics "professor" is spouting off his mouth while millions of ghanaians went to beg hungry despite his economic genius.
is he Ghana's finance minister? and again will they listen to him?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof. Wole Soyinka Endorses Goodluck Jonathan For 2015 / 27 Achievements Of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan / List Of 184 Federal Roads Projects On-going Under GEJ Before Handover to PMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.