Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,150 members, 7,887,338 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:03 AM

I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari (733 Views)

I Won’t Resign Even If I Don’t Defeat Boko Haram By December, Says Buhari / VP Sambo Held Hostage In Kano / "I Can’t Be Anybody’s Stooge" Okezie Victor Ikpeazu Speaks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari has said his desire not to be hostage to anyone was the reason behind his decision to rely on the sacrifices by ordinary Nigerians to fund his campaign.

Buhari said this at a press briefing on the General Muhammadu Buhari Crowd Funding Platform, in Abuja, on Tuesday.

This is even as he announced that the sum of N54, 415,386.70 has so far been received as donations through direct deposit and sale of cards to the First Bank account number: 2026724405.

He expressed confidence that the financial support he was receiving from ordinary Nigerians will see him through the campaign period.

According to him, his supporters who floated the platform drew inspiration from President Barrack Obama’s campaign.

The candidate noted that when Obama first came on the scene, he did not enjoy the support of big corporations for a variety of reasons, but that he was able to surmount this challenge when he turned to ordinary American’s who shared his dream.

Buhari said, “That is why I depend on them, we are taking this idea from what we have in the United States when Obama came out to contest, he was a coloured person, the big companies were not for him and so on.

“But he knew, he had foot soldiers so when he came with this idea, he was able to finance his campaign without looking for money bags or anybody influential, so he remained independent and was hostage to nobody. And this is what I want to achieve.”

He said the Buhari Support Organisation currently has 82 registered support groups with over 475, 796 coordinators and total membership in the region of 8, 492,226 across the length and breadth of this country.

Buhari explained that the organisation intends to use the registration and donation cards to enlist the members of the groups as volunteer change agents and also capture the spatial distribution of its donours.

He said, “So far so good, we have received donation of N54, 415, 386.70 (fifty four million four hundred and fifteen thousand three hundred and eighty six naira seventy kobo) only, through direct deposit and sales of cards to the First Bank account number 202 6724405.”

While acknowledging that Nigerians were going through a difficult time, he expressed confidence that they will make the requisite sacrifices to bring about positive change.

He used the occasion to debunk the well publicized N27.5 million loans he allegedly obtained to pay for his nomination forms.

Buhari said, he made attempts to get the leadership of the APC to reduce the amount payable for the forms but did not get support.

He said, “I told them there that I cannot complain because I happen to be a senior member of the party. So, I put a quick call to my manager (and said) whatever is the state of my account, please don’t dishonor that cheque and that’s what my manager did.

“So people developed their own stories from there and so on. What happened is between me and my manager. It is always confidential, from the moment you open an account, there is something between you and your manager.”

Also, a group of Nigerians under the auspices of the House to House Education Initiative have announced support for Buhari’s campaign.

National coordinator of the group, Mr. Kunle Ehinlanwo told newsmen in Abuja, that “Our initial idea was to support the re-election of President Goodluck Jonathan believing that continuity will better secure our democracy.

“But on a deeper review and careful analysis of the situation in the country, we are not convinced with the performance of the present administration.

“We have consequently decided to throw our support in favour of General Muhammadu Buhari, the Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress.”

The group said it was convinced that Buhari is a better man for the challenging job.

Accordingly, the House-to-House Educational Initiative pledged to henceforth campaign vigorously to canvass massive votes for the election of General Muhammadu Buhari and his running mate Prof. Yemi Osinbajo ahead of the 2015 general election across the 36 states of the Federation.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/i-dont-want-to-be-anybodys-hostage-buhari/

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2014
Okay... Nice one.
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by IKJ66(m): 8:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
who say dem say is what we hear,,,,only GOd knows truth
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by fagbalex(m): 8:34pm On Dec 23, 2014
I have the believe that the new Nigeria is here to stay come February 14, some people will celebrate their Valentine inside ........
GMB FOR PRESIDENT
CHANGE FOR A NEW NIGERIA
united we stand divided we fall
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
Good development
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by san316(m): 8:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
I think it is now good that GMB has a twitter account. it is time he started clarifying certain statements attributed to him.

Well, we do not need a president held hostage by a few. we need a president held hostage by the entire masses.
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by SweetJoystick(m): 9:03pm On Dec 23, 2014
Nice, that's how it should be
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by oziegbe2015: 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2014
Dagote was begging him that he wanted to pledge to his campaign gmb refused. Did u notice men like dangote, adenuga, elumelu, ovia, that pledge billions openly to gej last year havent done such again. So when GMB starts jailing them he wouldn't look back. Tell mr muazu to be ready 4 jail instead of crying to poor nigerians. PRISONS would be busy next yr sha
Re: I Don’t Want To Be Anybody’s Hostage -buhari by CyberWolf: 10:12pm On Dec 23, 2014
I actually like Buhari because I voted for him in 2003 and 2007 but why I will not vote him now is because of ACF insistence that power must return to North..

(1) (Reply)

We Are Not With Buhari’s Originalcopies Of Certificates — Army / Oshiomhole Regime Spent N142m To Host Buhari, Tinubu, Others – PDP / Gmb Vs Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.