Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,689 members, 7,951,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 05:47 AM

HND And BSC -an Unending War Of Dichotomy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND And BSC -an Unending War Of Dichotomy (604 Views)

Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) / The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka / Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

HND And BSC -an Unending War Of Dichotomy by kinibigdeal(m): 12:54am On Dec 27, 2014
"Mr man, we didnt request for HND in our advert, how did you managed to get an invitation for an interview" this was the expression of my friend when he came back from an Abased interview in a firm which i wont want to name. The unending war of dichotomy between the two major levels of certificate in Nigeria has caused a lot of emotional stress and in-balance among Nigerians. Some professors have even went ahead to rubbish the HND certificate claiming it is only for low par graduates that fail to pass jamb into the university, some even argue that the university syllabus is ahead of that of the polytechnic, which means the two are incomparable. What baffles me most in this argument is the war of word between the university students and the polytechnic students, they argue about level, class and spoken English but non of them argue about values. I can vividly remember when a university student once ask me "Bro are you sure you graduated from a polytechnic? i said yes, why did you ask? she continue by saying most polytechnic students she has met cannot even express themselves fluently but speak gibberish; i was shock by such claim but quickly caution her that "it is not about how they speak but about how productive they can be". I'm not part of those that will argue that the HND and Bsc are the same, ofcourse not! both are not the same "The polytechnic are establish to train Technicians unlike the universities with administrative structure; but the differences should be weigh in the same category. For Nigeria to reach that level of economic supremacy, then the educational system must be revisited, am not talking about the polytechnic system now but both. Okonjo-Iweala once said that Nigeria graduate are unemployable which i refused to accept then, until a manager told me that he interviewed more than 100 graduates but they are not employable except some few, i told him to buttress his point, he said " Some of them with first class, 2nd class upper, they speak good english but they cannot write a simple letter. I was like how? he said aside the failure in the interview, many of them wrote nonsense as their cover letter, what they speak is different from what they write". In other not to divert from the point, Nigeria educational system need a serious rehabilitation from its current state, it is no longer a problem of HND or Bsc but an urgent need for a drastic action. If after 5Years in a polytechnic, you are still expected to upgrade to PgD before it can be a degree equivalent, i think there is a big educational catastrophy. Pgd in the university system is understood for those that graduated with third class and advice to upgrade to Pgd, meaning that the polytechnic are for third class candidates. If after 5years (OND +HND), you are expected to sit for a year Pgd before another round of Masters(2years) i think is better to scrap the polytechnic or simply make it degree equivalent, this is a total of 8years unlike the 6years for the degree student. The dichotomy had even spread to the polytechnic itself, where a Bsc is earning hire than the HND in a polytechnic. I know of two polytechnic where a Bsc is being paid 100k and 50k for HND i called this "A foundational dichotomy". If the two cannot be equivalent, i think both should be at par or the numbers of year in the polytechnic should be reduced to accomodate an upgrade. Though the bill has pass the second reading in the senate but i doubt if it will get to is final stage based on the senate president statement. Though some will say there are mass exodus in banks now but banks employ HND not because they want to but because they want to cut expenses, HND graduants are the one doing most of the jobs at the counter while their Bsc counterpart supervises them. In conclusion, i advice we copy the system of singapore, malaysia and others where they inculcated the polytechnic system into the university system and call the name "polytechnic university of malaysia, polytechnic university of hongkong etc this i think will help to reduce the discrimination in the country.

2. every polytechnic should be allowed to run a top-up programe which duration should not exceed 6 month.

3. If the government is sincere about tackling the problem, HND graduates should be allowed for a direct masters programme based on performance.

4. Or there should be a graduate exam for both HND or Bsc before they can apply for masters

5. The name HND should be changed to Bachelor of technology(B.tech) which is used in south Africa

(1) (Reply)

Apply For EMARO+ Scholarships IRCCYN / 36 Funny And Interesting Facts / Nigerian Immigrant Accepted By All 8 Ivy League Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.