Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,156 members, 7,890,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:48 AM

The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" (770 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? / Why Do Nigerians Use Am In Place Of I'm / Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
You tend to find it in several places, on the internet, chats, messages, sadly formal write-ups. The growing mistaken use of "am" in sentences instead of "I'm" is rampant.
You'd tend to find sentences such as: I like Buhari, but am not impressed. Am still wondering if I like his opponent too.
The above sentences are grammatically wrong. Instead: I like Buhari, but I'm not impressed.

The wrong use of such words was probably born out of the growing use of the Internet and social media where people want to type quickly. However, this should not be allowed to eat into our language use.
Happy new year ahead!

1 Like

Re: The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" by Seezzy(m): 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2014
True. It's very common.
Re: The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" by IKJ66(m): 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2014
⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥·̵̭̌✽̤̥̈̊OK̤̥̈̊·̵̭̌»̶̥-̶̯͡┈̥‎⌣

(1) (Reply)

. / Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas Admission Into Remedial / How To Check And Print Your 2015 Jamb Result FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.