Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,210 members, 7,884,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? (1144 Views)

The Introverts Hangout- How Do You Manage Life With Little Or No Friends / Problems Only Introverts Will Understand / 10 Myths About Introverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
Most garrulous and active people I know online are actually shy and taciturn in real life. I'm pondering on this from experience with friends and colleagues who are so reserved in real life yet are so talkative and outspoken online. Why is it so? Are they emboldened by the facelessness the internet provides?
Nairalanders, what are your views on this?
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by joe17: 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
U jux answered ur question bro.

NEXT!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
Cuz dts were dy can express demselves without being shy... Also shy ppl r d ones with d most LIVER...
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by SirHouloo(m): 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2014
It requires no facial expression or intimidation which is the source of shyness.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 2:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
joe17:
U jux answered ur question bro.

NEXT!
Do you mean they are emboldened by the facelessness? But then there is also the problem of extroverts keeping so reserved or mum online. I've seen a case like that too. Why the role swap?
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2014
DeejayTafari:
Cuz dts were dy can express demselves without being shy... Also shy ppl r d ones with d most LIVER...
Can you expatiate on this, sir?
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by joe17: 2:55pm On Dec 30, 2014
Welrez:
Do you mean they are emboldened by the facelessness? But then there is also the problem of extroverts keeping so reserved or mum online. I've seen a case like that too. Why the role swap?
u need another thread for dat ? or do u want to derail ur own thread?grin
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Richiy(f): 2:59pm On Dec 30, 2014
Introverts are comfortable with the anonymity. Extroverts get bored by it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
joe17:
u need another thread for dat ? or do u want to derail ur own thread?grin
Thumbs up for the apt observation but we can just add it up to the 'system of things'. It was curiosity that drove me off course.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by tpia3396: 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2014
are they?

nl is not really a good indicator of personality types, you'd have to check other social media sites for that.

besides, your premise is wrong.

would you call the site owner garrulous, for example?

compare with say orikinla, would you expect him to be introverted offline?

nl is more about cliques than it is about individuals or personality.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 8:27am On Dec 31, 2014
tpia3396:
are they?

nl is not really a good indicator of personality types, you'd have to check other social media sites for that.

besides, your premise is wrong.

would you call the site owner garrulous, for example?

compare with say orikinla, would you expect him to be introverted offline?

nl is more about cliques than it is about individuals or personality.
Bro, first of all, I would like to thank you for commenting on my thread.
I never said that my parameter or k-square is Nairaland. I think I used the word online and I made reference only about people I know offline who are reserved and shy but are garrulous and active online.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:18am On Dec 31, 2014
b
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 31, 2014
On point, my boyfriend icey is a case study.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 10:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
softysparky:
On point, my boyfriend icey is a case study.
I've a friend Stella who is so garrulous and active online that made me meet her offline. I expected to see a lively person who would be interesting to be with but to my utmost surprise, she turned out to be shy and boring. She is a reason why I opened this thread.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 10:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
Bootybuttchic:
b
B for Biscuit
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by tpia2012: 11:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
Welrez:
Bro, first of all, I would like to thank you for commenting on my thread.
I never said that my parameter or k-square is Nairaland. I think I used the word online and I made reference only about people I know offline who are reserved and shy but are garrulous and active online.

you're welcome, thanks for acknowledging my post.

true, you mentioned the internet in general, but i specified nairaland as a case study. Narrowing it down, so to speak.

I've found people's characters online tend to follow their characters offline, generally speaking, looking at it from the pov of personality, instead of cliques which obtains here. Members of a clique will often present a false image of another member, for various reasons.

Personality wise, if an introvert appears garrulous online, then chances are that is their real personality, barring shyness or reticence when you meet them in public.

the way they type is usually a fairly good indicator of how they are, all things being equal.

reticence means an unwillingness to speak or a reluctance to interact freely: being reserved. This is often grouped together with introversion but sometimes it doesnt mean the person is necessarily introverted, especially if they socialize more than an average introvert and enjoy people's company.

shyness is a feeling based on fear, unwillingness to interact or speak because of it.

Introversion can be a combination of the two, many more, or just one. It depends.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by Welrez(m): 12:01am On Jan 01, 2015
tpia2012:

you're welcome, thanks for acknowledging my post.

true, you mentioned the internet in general, but i specified nairaland as a case study. Narrowing it down, so to speak.

I've found people's characters online tend to follow their characters offline, generally speaking, looking at it from the pov of personality, instead of cliques which obtains here. Members of a clique will often present a false image of another member, for various reasons.

Personality wise, if an introvert appears garrulous online, then chances are that is their real personality, barring shyness or reticence when you meet them in public.

The way they type is usually a fairly good indicator of how they are, all things being equal.

Reticence means an unwillingness to speak or a reluctance to interact freely: being reserved. This is often grouped together with introversion but sometimes it doesnt mean the person is necessarily introverted, especially if they socialize more than an average introvert and enjoy people's company.

shyness is a feeling based on fear, unwillingness to interact or speak because of it.

Introversion can be a combination of the two, many more, or just one. It depends.
I've seen the opposite in real life and was greatly surprised. I think there is also the chance of the pen's inability to express the many words of the mouth. Thank you very much for your comment.
Re: Why Are Many Introverts Garrulous Online? by tpia2012: 12:37am On Jan 01, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Lewis Hamilton's britain's Highest Paid Sportsman / See What This Kano Polytechnic Graduate Wrote About Biafra(photo) / Cristiano Ronaldo: I've Done Everything For This Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.