Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,415 members, 7,901,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 02:49 AM

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 (39011 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by darediamond(m): 10:10am On Dec 31, 2014
If there is no reason left to vote GEJ, I'll vote him for Implementing this.
Stop all these Senseless importation and kick-start the Emboldment of Made In Nigeria Quality Products and therby attract Nigerians in diaspora especially who are blessed with high scientific knowledge to come back home to start establishing companies and therby impart there knowledge in younger Nigerians.
A Yoruba man couple of years ago invented AC to AC Power Booster.
An Igbo man during Abacha regime invented 100% Fueless Electric Car.
There are other Nigerian Inventors that have emerged but which do not have the means to sustain there inventions because of the kind of mentality majority of Nigerians have.
Nigerians expecially youth wants to finish a race without wanti to start from a point.
No it does not work that wayse if you are not Patient enough to Explore, Never will you bé rewarded with Discovery.
backtosender:
exactly,people should realized that made in nigerian cars are cheaper to buy and maintain than imported cars

3 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 31, 2014
Dats if GEJ is re-elected.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
^^^ Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. Many of these imported cars have been used for above five years and then they're moved to Nigeria for dumping, after which when you buy, you'll use for no more than three years and the money u would have spent on repairs and maintenance may have exceeded the original cost. Some brand new Innoson cars go for 1.5m and they're trying to beat it down to 1m. So which is better ; buying a brand new car for 1.5m and enjoying it for 3 to 4 years without excessive repair cost or buying a tokie car for 800thousand and spending over 500thousand on repairs in 3 years. A relation of mine has spent about 300th on repairs on a tokie car he bought for about 800th and the car IS STILL HAVING ISSUES. Wont it have been better to just buy a brand new made-in-Nigeria car and save yourself some unecessary stress. Why are we so used to cheap craps and worthless articles? Is that what APC wants for us? SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

I understand you but we are not there yet.. why should it be as high as 70 percent? You cant compare us to advanced countries that have higher purchasing powers to buy new cars.. and they do not pay in full.. its paid over a time period and the big difference is that an ordinary man in nigeria cannot enjoy that credit facility because there are no systematic structures in place that ensures you can pay it over the time period sitpulated in your contract..whereas in advanced countries, your identification number and good credit standing is all you need. So you can sèe a normal person picking up an expensive car to drive. But in nigeria, you either have to have a verifiable job with a big company before you enjoy a credit facility on an automobile..even at that you are still limited in your choice of an automobile..do you see the difference? What im trying to say is that rather than just force it down our throats with full force, its better to gradually increase it in a way that by the time it gets to 70% all the local assembling companies should be in full capacity. Right now most of them are not even started..what choice do you leave the average person with?

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2014
Misplaced priorities!
I certify this government as utterly clueless, as it has failed to revamp the power sector that should be the bedrock of rapid development of local businesses.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by treasuress: 10:14am On Dec 31, 2014
49cents:

I am not a Jonathanian but I think this is a good policy that will encourage the growing automobile car indusry!

More companies will start local assembly of automobilesn creating competition that will end up lowering the prices and very good acquistion plans.

In a short time too their would be backward integeration as parts would be locally sourced and favricated........can you imagine the possibilities

GEJ got it right on this one
smh people like him wont feel it cos dey have the money to buyany car they want, he is just trying to put more money in the hands ofthe rich , wanting us to buy assembled nigerian cars, smh
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:15am On Dec 31, 2014
alexitohan2020:
It can only get better. The government is trying to discourage importation of cars so we could patronize locally made cars or better till, buy new cars.
Cheers OP
Wishing all Niaralanders a peaceful year ahead in 2015

Everybody cannot use locally made cars and not everybody can buy new cars
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by waksman(m): 10:15am On Dec 31, 2014
kevoh:

Fuel price, introduction of toll fare all around Nigeria, electricity bill, Tertiary tuition fees...the list is endless my brother...
Lol... tertiary tuition fee n electricity bill is already on d high... maybe we should expect total subsidy removal soon sha
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by qtx(m): 10:15am On Dec 31, 2014
Onegai:

Precisely. We cannot make cheap cars until we can source 50% or more of the raw goods needed for cars locally. Our Steel industry must be revived and we need Quality Control experts to set up testing facilities here. Also, let our govt put their money where their mouths are and USE MADE-IN-NIGERIA cars as their official vehicles, as vehicles of almost all parastatals.

The only Innoson vehicles I've seen in Lagos were buses travelling to/fro the East, yet the man has been producing for over 2 years. FG should have patronised him and used banks to offer excellent loans to Nigerians to buy Made-In-Naija.
Did you ask IVM and he said Fed Gvt is not patronising him? Haba Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ceejayluv(m): 10:16am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

Why won't you be lost when your past leader (Buhari inclusive) failed to give you quality education.
Well, thank God for almajiri schools so its not too late.
You haven't still helped the other guy explain anything....
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by amaechionuh(m): 10:16am On Dec 31, 2014
waksman:

imagine someone raised two important points about what is required to make d policy effective n all u could do was to criticize. ajaokuta needs to b revived n there must b improved power supply to make this policy work.
So how come IVM were able to manufacture our MADE IN NIGERIA cars? You are too blind to see the improved power supply. And what made you think ajeokuta plant will never be revived? You all want everything to be done immediately forgetting that Rome wasn't built in a day, had your past leaders (Buhari inclusive) did just a quater of what GEJ have done, Nigeria would habve attained great height than she is now. Enemies of progress.

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Ghost01(m): 10:17am On Dec 31, 2014
With policies like this, why won't some smuggle?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by hopewealth: 10:19am On Dec 31, 2014
nobody is critizing this govt for its policy,but the sole called leader we have in nigeria are less concern about the masses,they just pretend to be for the masses but the end is for them and cronies.long live the poor masses of this great country.NI
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:20am On Dec 31, 2014
phantonce:
Why are nigerians short sighed?

One of my uncle recently bought a 2009 tokunbo suv for 2.5 million naira.

He didn't know he could get a brand new innoson suv for 3 million and naija made hyundai suv for 3.5m

If i dont like hyundai products, would you force it down my throat? What if i like a lexus suv and they dont have an assembly plant here and i cant afford a new one?

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:20am On Dec 31, 2014
Innoson and other made in Nigeria cars are already taking over.
More jobs will be created.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by amaechionuh(m): 10:21am On Dec 31, 2014
treasuress:
smh people like him wont feel it cos dey have the money to buyany car they want, he is just trying to put more money in the hands ofthe rich , wanting us to buy assembled nigerian cars, smh
Even if its assembled NIGERIA CARS and so what? Thank God you called it NIGERIA CAR, that alone I am very proud of because during your Buhari era there was no Nigerian car.

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 10:21am On Dec 31, 2014
tonychristopher:
This is good ..Nigeria has tokunbo mentality ..tokunbo bra,pants shirts ,cars even Buhari is a tokunbo president in waiting

Now let me tell you ..I see it as stupidity to buy a 3million tokunbo instead of 1.5m brand new

A tokunbo is not good ..so I am in support
hahahaha! Tokunbo mentality indeed. Dad nd mum always bought okrika clothes for me cos its durable,but our tailors never grow beyond one sewing machine, the same goes for footwears while our aba brothers can sufficiently supply our footwears nationwide, same thing goes for GMB while our "future leaders" are in the backyard shouting sai buhari, same thing goes for rice while our rice farmers eat their rice alone,same thing goes for our crude oil while our refineries are near comatose,same thing goes for all the things we import but have local alternatives.
We need the ongoing change.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:22am On Dec 31, 2014
redcliff:

If i dont like hyundai products, would you force it down my throat? What if i like a lexus suv and they dont have an assembly plant here and i cant afford a new one?
If you like a Lexus suv so much you should be able to buy it at whatever price you find it.
Nigerian economy is more important than your individual taste.
How many countries allow second hand cars pass through their borders?

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:22am On Dec 31, 2014
Even at all we want to help the economy by the made in nigeria,what about other sector,why increment on fuel and auto,this 2 helps the economy of nigeria way back,like this issue of made in nigeria now,how is it going to help the youth,plz I need answer to this
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by hopewealth: 10:23am On Dec 31, 2014
If only there so called nigerian expert in diaspora would not come to there country and been killed for political ritual.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by darediamond(m): 10:24am On Dec 31, 2014
You will sure buy car but not the Debris in the name of Tokunbo.
You shall buy Innosons!!!

Bro Nigeria need to Ban totally. The importation of any product we are alredy producing locally for us to grow.
We need to make money out of Brain not Barns nor Barrels.
Do you think Millionaires in Nigeria Music industries would have been born if MTN, Glo, Coca-Cola and all other Big Companies in Nigeria are using American or foreign celibrities as there Ambassadors etc.?
Great Achievent Attracts Sometimes Tough Decissions and That Equates S A C R I F I C E!!
Dare Diamond said so!!!!!
ShakurM:
Jona! Why now...Entering a new year, u must always give us surprises
So I no go buy car this 2015 agn abii cry
Jona! God knows ur Otueke home address oo angry

3 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by major466(m): 10:24am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

So how come IVM were able to manufacture our MADE IN NIGERIA cars? You are too blind to see the improved power supply. And what made you think ajeokuta plant will never be revived? You all want everything to be done immediately forgetting that Rome wasn't built in a day, had your past leaders (Buhari inclusive) did just a quater of what GEJ have done, Nigeria would habve attained great height than she is now. Enemies of progress.
The same people shouting "change" all over the place are the same people against this Noble Auto Policy. Then you wonder what manner of change do these people want. Well, I won't blame them. Lack of economics knowledge is what is at display here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by hopewealth: 10:24am On Dec 31, 2014
If only the so called nigerian expert in diaspora would not come to there country and been killed for political ritual.If only the so called nigerian expert in diaspora would not come to there country and been killed for political ritual.If only the so called nigerian expert in diaspora would not come to there country and been killed for political ritual.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:25am On Dec 31, 2014
tonychristopher:
This is good ..Nigeria has tokunbo mentality ..tokunbo bra,pants shirts ,cars even Buhari is a tokunbo president in waiting

Now let me tell you ..I see it as stupidity to buy a 3million tokunbo instead of 1.5m brand new

A tokunbo is not good ..so I am in support

You have a poor mans mentality..did you consider quality/brand? E.g you cant compare a tecno to an iphone!

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 49cents(m): 10:27am On Dec 31, 2014
iyobs7:
I wonder what engineers in this country are doing... Construction of roads oyinbo man... Cars oh oyinbo man... Them want build mega structure oya Julius Berger... They always go for training abroad but still cannot think enough to come out with something locally... The dirty Indians we always talk about are masters if themselves... I never see white man wey dey head any of the establishment wey I don see or hear about.. Shabi Una hear how much them take launch their satelite?

This is a good policy but will witches and wizards in high places allow capable brains to come up with innovative ideas and support them? Me and you know e go tay...

The government is not clueless... It is the masses that is clueless because they do not know their right from their left... Always blaming the government...

In Nigeria, when it is from abroad, it is quality, but made in Nigeria is bad quality...

Some of you ignorant goats here still ask for London used phones, I now wonder what is the difference? London used, aba used, Lagos uses, nor be phone? If it is in good condition why not buy it?

We can sit on our keyboard and type rubbish, the day is passing bye you, keep wasting your life and think that Buhari or Jonathan is the best choice...

A lazy workman will always complain of its tools while a determined and skillful work man will always devise a means to make things work...

Keep bashing yourselves and throwing accusations all around... Those senators sons and daughters in NNPC, CHEVRON, SHELL do not have the sill.y time for themselves to argue...

Nigeria... A land of hypocritical and Mediocritic people...

A very frank post but you didn't have to call your fellow citizen "goats"

But on the other hand giving Waivers to local car makers would have been an additional way of making the car makers not kill Nigerians with crazy prices as they maintain an Oligopoly like MTN and AIrtel before Glo came in

An enterprenuer wouldn't crash price without a strong. Reason like a an alternative.......anyway let's see how it all plays out

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ceejayluv(m): 10:27am On Dec 31, 2014
SaiBuharii:

Increased to 70% not by 70%
Aight, seen.it....
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by redcliff: 10:28am On Dec 31, 2014
Activa:
They shd extend it to all other things we can produce locally. Though d local car manufacturing companies shd be able to produce enough b4 the implementation.

Enough of importation of everything

Same shd be extended to mobile phones and electronics.

Thank u Jona but u shd also fight corruption wella

Are those cars manufactured here or assembled here? So even the materials are still imported.. do what are we still saying?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 10:28am On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Automotive policy is not going to work....not with power at 5000MW (South Africa does 40000,South Korea 100000mw),not with Ajaokuta still a rusting hulk, and not without massive investment in technical education (your man GEJ should have removed the fuel subsidy and invested some of the money in technical schools....instead he builds more universities to produce more first class clerks for the govt office...and add more financial liabilities for the future).
yes its not going to work because u said so. We have a compound problem at hand,and we must start somewhere. When you are thirsty,that when you know that water is sweet.
This policy will be a strong arguement for the revival of those sectors u mentioned.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Collynzo22: 10:29am On Dec 31, 2014
oliverjiad:
Even at all we want to help the economy by the made in nigeria,what about other sector,why increment on fuel and auto,this 2 helps the economy of nigeria way back,like this issue of made in nigeria now,how is it going to help the youth,plz I need answer to this
How is it gonna help the youths?
More jobs will be created when the automobile industry fully kicks off.
More value for our naira and foreign exchange spent on importing second hand cars will be saved.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Montaque(m): 10:32am On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Innoson is trying....but the problem is he still imports a lot of the components of his cars from China. His goal should be to make them in Nigeria....which he cannot do because Ajaokuta is still comatose.

If he cannot make them in Nigeria....the cost of his cars will shoot up (unless he can tell his friend GEJ to waive import duties on raw materials for cars et al...which would be difficult in this oil price reduction era.)
not all car components are imported. Some are sourced locally. Ajaokuta is yet to come back alive,but we must start somewhere.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 10:32am On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

How is it gonna help the youths?
More jobs will be created when the automobile industry fully kicks off.
More value for our naira and foreign exchange spent on importing second hand cars will be saved.
is it with youth with school certificate abi youth wey no fit afford to go school,bros there are many industry to work on not to set eye on a particular industry
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by waksman(m): 10:32am On Dec 31, 2014
amaechionuh:

if u care to know.. ivm has been importing many of its materials n dat is y d price of d locally made cars is still high... did i just hear u say 'quarter of what gej has done'? God forbid...... Nigerian would av turn something else for worse.. when stealing isn't corruption, 16 is greater Dan 19, ex convicts r pardoned, naira became valueless, billions allocated for n illegal office of d first lady, etc... wise up n stop insulting everyone on NL..
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ejor1: 10:33am On Dec 31, 2014
what do this govt. get in suffering the poor masses. Even to buy a tokunbo car will be so this difficult.Hmmm God is watching.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 / Has Anyone On Nairaland Used An Innoson Vehicle Before? What Was Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.