Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,404 members, 7,881,471 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:38 PM

Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) (769 Views)

Easing The Burden And Cost Of Building Designs In Nigeria / Natural Method Of Reducing Body Fats / Vacation Rentals - Vacation Rental And Short Let, Lagos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) by Thadude(m): 12:51am On Dec 14, 2008
In Nigeria the potential of flat-mate has not been utilized to its full potentials. While Americans and other western countries where rents are paid on weekly or monthly basis exploit it fully to reduce cost for starters, why cant flat-mate be exploited in Nigeria?, owing to security issues and cultural diversity arent there ways we could potentially find like minded individuals to share and apartment and live in peace. Nigerians are use to spending so much on renting an apart without any plan of becoming an apartment owner some day,
Recently a nairalander was making appeal to borrow funds for her apartment, wont she have been better seeking a flat-mate with like minds in goals and achivement?
How can we potentially cut across security concerns and cultural diversities especially for fresh starters (e.g fresh graduates (high sch, Diploma and Uni), new migrants from other states, and business starters.
Re: Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) by PapaBrowne(m): 11:58pm On Dec 16, 2008
It's amazing that nobody replied to this article.
Anyways, you are right.
Flat sharing would definitely take the burden out of rental apartments. I always wonder how Nigerians cope with having to pay rentals 2 years upfront + agency fees where their counterparts outside pay either weekly or monthly.
In order for flat sharing to kick off, it would have to be seen as a good business opportunity. And I think it is.
Re: Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) by Thadude(m): 4:53am On Dec 19, 2008
Most people feel it will be difficult to find like minded individuals with like mind goals, cos' that should be the first step, The ideal is actually starting small then expand ur options as one become a big earner.
Ibos are one of the smart group of people in Nigeria who take advantage of it flat/shop mating, most people wonder how Ibos seem to prosper in there business even at a tender age and with tough economic climate, well its because they cut of rental burden in shops by shopmating. In other words 3people some times 4 share a shop. I once withnessed it at alaba International where shops are astronomically expensive. That is why they dont have competitors in the business circle. I think Nigerians should start thinking of it that way start small and grow big. there is no sense in having N350,000 and using N250,000 for rental purpose, even for an employed individual, because an unexpected emergencies could spring up tomorrow requiring urgent amount of money either for health purpose that could otherwise cost the life of a loved one or relative. We should think smart.
Re: Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) by sinaadegoke: 6:32pm On Jan 02, 2013
I'm looking for some1 to share a flat in surulere, yaba, or Island with me o. Any interested person shld please call me on 08026569336.
Re: Flat-mates (as Means Of Reducing Rental Burden) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
Its a very good biz idea. But u have to be able to solve the problems that will come with it before proposing it to prospective tenants. The burden of renting a house very heavy I tell u.

(1) (Reply)

Hot Properties In Port Harcourt / Land, Landed Properties For Sales At Give Away Prices. / 3 Bedroom Flat For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.