Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,458 members, 7,971,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 01:40 PM

What Area In IT Should I Go For? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Area In IT Should I Go For? (2084 Views)

Need A Cracked Modem ASAP (agege Area In Lagos) Urgent / Which Laptop Product Do I Go For / Which Tablet Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Area In IT Should I Go For? by elolove(m): 3:59pm On Aug 15, 2006
Finished my NYSC since February but till now no job yet. I am considering furthering my studies in IT for now. Please I need your sincere advice and information.

I read management Studies, and considering an Oracle 10g program, though very expensive, I was told that it a very marketable area in IT, To this regards I am soliciting on which area I should concentrate on, may be DBA, web design, CISA and so many others around. Which one should i go for.

Please if you any materials on Oracle 10g, SQL, Linus please send it to me. ezeani2001@yahoo,com
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by my2cents(m): 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2006
So, if I were to live my IT life all over again (in this case, I will gladly do it thru u cool), here are a few of what I would have done:

1) Be a database expert, preferably data warehousing and data mining

2) Be a JAVA expert

3) Join the Web development bandwagon - everything will be going to the web soon. Thanks to open source technologies like LAMP (thatz Linux Apache Mysql and Php, for those wey water never dry for nyash yet grin) and AJAX, websites are now mirroring desktop applications and reaching more and more pple on a widescale level. Web apps are now justifyingly being called software

4) Be a networking expert

1, 2 and 4, I chose cos those will always be in demand, no matter what. 3 I chose cos tis the wave of the future.

I hope this helps
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by gbengaijot(m): 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2006
@ my2cent, what about microsoft applications developing.

I am thinking of doing MCAD, and then linkin it with MCDBA.

What you think?
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by my2cents(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2006
Well, coming from the US point of view, I would frown upon certifications. Here, whenever we see certifications, we throw the resume/CV in the trash - they come a dime a dozen now and most pple cram for the stuff. I personally know of a DBA with 20 years experience who failed the MCDBA exam 3 times shocked shocked If you read all the necessary books and take the sample exams, u r good to go. That doesn't however imply that u hv work experience as each place is different.

I would rather say you attend classes specific to what u want to learn, at a reputable institution, follow this up with reading on your own, and doing side projects on sites like rentacoder, scriptlance, etc. Then get a job and/or work for urself. Then again, I don't know where u r and what I have just laid out may not help. Either way, good luck!!
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by elolove(m): 6:26pm On Aug 16, 2006
@my2cent
u suggested Database first, then webdesign and networking, plswhich database program should i go for. There are many of them, and presently i dont have my own computer will reading the books be enough to aquire the knowledge.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by my2cents(m): 6:40pm On Aug 16, 2006
elolove: I blv i hv replied to your email. u can also YIM me at udotot25
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by zogo(m): 12:54pm On Aug 31, 2006
I like u 2cents!

U are right, by saying webdesign is a wave for the future, this i quote u right because every biz now wants to have
internet presnce now, and only few persons that know hw to design websites eat up the money!

But the problem here is where to go for the training, as the few places like NIIT and others culd give u a freightening and scaring bill for these courses!

I feel u my2cents!
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by Bossman(m): 9:46pm On Aug 31, 2006
I would advice you not to spend money on web design training. You should be able to get all the tools you need to learn web design online and go from there. If anything, spend money upgrading or getting a hold of a good PC/laptop. And, if possible, get broadband connection because you will need to be able to access the internet anytime. Now, for DB certifications or programming certifications spending money for the training may be worth it. But, generally you should be able to find everything you need in the online forums pertaining to your choice of specialization.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by sbucareer(f): 2:56am On Sep 01, 2006

Let me say the honest truth, IT/ITC is NOT meant for everyone. I feel very sad to say this to my brothers and sister especially those with fantastic educational background from other course discipline.

IT/ITC is an Engineering discipline. IT is now included in the department of Electrical and electronics and is one of the bodies of IEEE.

What all these means that Computer graduates are very highly disciplined student in their career like other students from other departments. I make this emphasis because everyone seem to think that they can learn IT anytime. It might not allways be the case now. Design a web site and running mysql to some backend system does not make you any correlated with IT/ITC.

IT/ITC is electronic engineering but not necessary electrical. Learning binary, switches, principle, paradigm and complex logic is what makes you different from a mere web designer.

Believe me, any IT/ITC graduates MUST learn one type of language and must understand the theory and implementation of information system and who is the information system made to server in an organization?

You should really look at the job market for IT/ITC and requirements for joining a firm. The junior positions, you should look at the amount of technologies they expect you to know already.

DBA, you MUST like programming language to embark on this and must understand the Dr Boyce and Ted Codd normal forms. You must understand the flow of information system within any organization, hence someone with a degree in information system management will do better than you, no doubt.

Web design, it NOT an engineering prerequisite, but it is used to teach enterprise application development. Designing a web site can never make you rich, thus it is subject to argument. But enterprise application development using HTML would undoubtedly make you rich. Please know the difference.

Programming, is the core unit in any electronics course, both BEng and BSc, which are part of the Engineering department, under the IEEE.

Learning programming alone would fetch you money but learning the principles of programming would make you rich.

In Software Engineering we use model-based notation to validate and verify a specification. They employ the use of Maths and predicated. These are translated into what we call information specification.

If you want to build a car, the customer would only tell you that they want:

1. A car that would do 180mph and take a corner at 40 degrees
2. That uses 100mph per 20litres of fuel
3. etc

These are specifications. You need to translate it into a car. This is how software works. IT students at work place uses lots of methods to translate requirement specification:

1. [url=http://staff.washington.edu/~jon/z-book/what-is-z.html]Z[/url] notation is one
2. formal methods is another one

There are three types of formal methods

1. Event approach
2. Function approach
3. State approach

The premise for all this, is that IT students are better equipped with information system and it paradigm to just a brilliant student from other department trying to become an IT expert.

The most obvious case it likely that the student will fail in their endeavors to becoming an IT expert. Because the educated IT ones will always outsmart them and there are lots of them about.

To anyone reading this and planning to start university, be careful the course you choose to study as it will have a very big impact in you life at a later stage.

To all my IT/ITC and BIT and BEng, well done and dominate the IT sector because that is what you studied for.

1 Like

Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by zogo(m): 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2006
This guy culd scare someone away from the IT scene u know smiley grin

I think he hold an IT/ITC degree, and he's angry at the way guys bulg and jump into the IT scene without prior concent of the IT professionals, lol  grin  
But i dont know if knows that most big boys in the IT scene today, did not realy studied an IT or BEng stuff, but they are really doing better than those that studied computer science and all that. I think its all about YOU GOING FOR WHAT U WANT.

I heard him say, "website design can never make one rich", pls fellow nairalanders lets evaluate this statement as its a threath to this room, lol grin

@Bossman, i really feel u, u advised i should not spend money in this exploitative places like NIIT etc, and i should look for tools on the internet to learn it on my own. pls i will be happy if u give me links to those tools, pls.

NIIT staff in this forum, pls firgive me oh, its just that i have to speak my mind here. U GUYS ARE MORE THAN EXPENSIVE, U GUYS ARE EXPLOITATING
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by Bossman(m): 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2006
elolove, google is your friend my brother. Just search the net. depending on what interests you. If you want to learn Java Development for example, the JDK, Java API, books, and discussion forums are all at your finger tips. If you weant to learn DB development, there are several free version sof relational databases out there, mySQL, Oracle, etc. Just get your hands on these tools and spend a lot of time learning them.

The key thing is that you have to have easy acesibility to the internet. And you will need to have your own PC to develop with.

It's not going to be an easy road, but it can be done.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by elolove(m): 5:08pm On Sep 01, 2006
@bossman thanks alot, sub nearly scare me away.
i will try and get as much training in IT as i can, i will try and start small, learning at my own pace. i will start with oracle 10g and take it from there.

pls bossman can i have ur email, sub will not reply my mail to his box.
Seun can u add ur voice to this topic.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by Bossman(m): 5:28pm On Sep 01, 2006
Check your PM.

elolove:

please bossman can i have your email, sub will not reply my mail to his box.

Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by beelyjay45(m): 6:26pm On Sep 01, 2006
Choose networking its very vast
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by segebee(m): 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2006
i think i could help you
i've got this book that helps you to learn web designing in 7 days
and other books that will help further
with it in a day, i could design a basic site using html(with just notepad! no programs)
if u need it mail me: segebee1@yahoo.co.uk
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2006
@elolove
From experience, it's not helpful to ask about stuff like this on Nairaland
Wish you luck anyway!!!

Tayo
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by elolove(m): 7:53pm On Sep 02, 2006
Pls feel free to add ur own comments.
pls don discourage pple who really want to go in to IT. plssssssssssssssssssss.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by dominobaby(f): 9:20pm On Sep 02, 2006
Sbu, that was kinda 'scary'. Phew!
Elo, go ahead and do what u want to do, as long as you enjoy it.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by desiree(f): 10:48pm On Sep 02, 2006
Anybody can learn formal methods; they are like the easiest part of software/hardware design and verification. If you have the brain to study and pass any IT certification then you are as well good enough. You have to decide what areas you enjoy and what your strength are. Most guys i know go for Networking--- then a CCNA certification would be your starting point if you have the head for numbers, those Subnetting, VLSM and IP address planning are tricky enough for you to handle
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by jesuseun1(m): 11:56pm On Sep 02, 2006
ATTEND A FREE I.T SEMINAR AT JIDAW SYSYTEMS LTD,NO 12 ERIC MOORE

,WEMABOD ESTATE ,OFF ADENIYI JONES ,IKEJA TAK BIKE FROM IKEJA UNDER BRIDGE,DATE ,SEPT 9TH ,2006,TIME: 12:30PM
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by sbucareer(f): 4:33am On Sep 03, 2006

desiree, I know you are very smart girl that is why I will ask you to do this task for us. I know you have used the university or public library before. I appreciate that you know how the library works in terms of borrowing books and returning books and late fees and books on loan.

I would like you to write a simple formal specification using either z or formal method to depict the states of these events. I will start you off with the state.

1. borrow
2. return
3. onloan
4. overdue
5. onshelve

Write a formal specification for our young programmers to code. I know this will be easy for you, thanks.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by desiree(f): 1:02pm On Sep 03, 2006
@sbu career

I know you did Computer Science at London South bank University(although there is no proof that you actually came out with a first class honors)--there is no need to show off here wink wink wink tongue. I don't write formal specifications, but my boyfriend is an IT consultant, i will have him have a hand at it.

It's just like asking and accountant to point out the dissection point in a Cadaver(human anatomy)Very funny grin grin
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by sbucareer(f): 1:16am On Sep 04, 2006

In other hand you are wrong desiree, I did come out with first class upper division. Maybe you would like me to scan and post my transcripts for you? Well I will not do that, besides it is diminuting myself
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by gbengaijot(m): 8:07am On Sep 04, 2006
grin grin grin i guess i have talked to sbu career on phone couple of times and i think he is a very good IT person. Mmmmmmmmm, wetin be my own in all this?, lol
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by Hunter(m): 12:15pm On Sep 04, 2006
Sbucareer talks like somebody who knows his stuff so I'm tempted to beleive him smiley
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by elolove(m): 10:37am On Sep 05, 2006
believe me am getting even more confused.
It seems there is no easy way out. i was hoping for a direct and generally acceptable area to go for, but someone like Sbu who i respect very well is asking me to forget IT completely. That is very unfair.
pls keep talking all ya, am listening.
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by sbucareer(f): 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2006

elolove, I am not asking you to forget IT, I am only being honest. You read management study, your strengths are in management. I was told by a reputable academic consultant from my former firm that why people are not always successful in life is that they spend half their life choosing a wrong career and investing on it. The minute something new cames out they want to retrain for something that has no correlation with what they are already doing or trained for.

Imagine Bill Gates training for Accounting job. He might learn accounts but would not be successful in it compare to IT. This is just the bottom line. I do not say and commend that training in IT would proof bereft.

The point I was trying to convey was that web designing is NOT a comprehensive career package for IT gurus. Everyone can design a website, professional or not it doesn't matter.

Most company have their website designer in house. Tell me how much does web designers make theseday? Not a lot. How many people will design website for Omotola Jalade? Even though, she would not pay her fortune on web presence.

I keep harmerring web design because that is the area of IT/ITC Nigerians, thus are heading into. Look at the Indians, Chinese and other IT emerging super world, their IT/ITC are not web design. To make it in life you need to shine out like a star. Web design is just a beginners corner into IT. As soon as you learn the conundrum you move up to more exiting areas like telecoms, enterprise application development, SAP, Database design, even database has got a degree dedicated to it, System and Information design.

I will not convince anyone here that my recommendation or knowledge is superior, I am still learning and I have learned a lot since last three years away from academics. I can only tell you that if you have studied IT either degree or certification last six years life would have been different for you because you would have been into employment now and probably moving up to managerial position.

The premise now is that IT/ITC has got lots of professional graduates and geeks, highly intelligent with even PhD to back it up.

My advice to anyone who is trying to embark into IT should really consider his/her position quite objectively. There is no win and lose here, IT/ITC market sector is very very dynamic and is now saturated.

If your career goal is to work for someone like Microsoft or IBM, then study and learn development and become a developer or architect. Remember most of what we do today in IT is maintenance, the whole thing has already been developed. This is where I said people with IT degree are more likely to succeed because they studied analytical units and principles, theories and paradigm.

1 Like

Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by olawa20(m): 9:18pm On Sep 05, 2006
but what exactly is sbucareer saying? are u advising her to go into IT or not.

reading ur posting, one might get scared of venturing into IT at all
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by LanreDaMan(m): 6:57pm On Sep 06, 2006
Naira landers,

I want to take a course in IT but, Iam in love with @ coourses I dont know which one to take

Firstly I think of taking up Training in Networking leading to certification in CCNA CCNP CCIE or

Network Security Leading to certification in CCSA,CCSP and Pix Fire wall O also get to learn how to HACK

With the presrnt day Nigeria and the Nearest Future which should I take
Re: What Area In IT Should I Go For? by DisGuy: 3:34am On Nov 30, 2013
Been looking for this dude sbu...old times!!!

Still in lagos?

(1) (Reply)

My Sound Is Gone, Pls Help Me / Kaspersky 2013 ,windows 8,norton 2013,ESET ,office 2010 Official Activation Code / Can I Get A Brand New Laptop For 60 Thousand Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.