Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,326 members, 7,974,414 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 12:27 AM

unHOLY MATRIMONY - Literature (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / unHOLY MATRIMONY (173528 Views)

The Matrimony, The Blessing: A Mothers advice and prayers for the Daughter / Holy Matrimony, A Novel / Patron Of Matrimony Shortlisted For ACT Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 18, 2015
toykathy:

what are u talking about The mum has spoken and u re still begging for a space Dont test my patient pls. Anyways, let ur boy continue dreaming while mine continue holding her hand in real life....................# TEAM KEEP DREAMING

Hun Your boy is holding her hands? shocked

Jeez! I can't believe this undecided Oya tell your boy to remove his hands and eyes away from that girl or else..........

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by zyzxx(m): 9:31am On Jun 19, 2015
welcome back candy

thanks for the update . how is our new sweetheart? toykathy good morning
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by lenmafon: 10:09am On Jun 19, 2015
toykathy:

ar u tryin to silent me cuz ur son is on d queue too No chance oooo. Lol

but aunty candy has not said she has accepted any one yet so i believe there is still chance cool
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by lenmafon: 10:12am On Jun 19, 2015
adeh39:

Hun Your boy is holding her hands? shocked

Jeez! I can't believe this undecided Oya tell your boy to remove his hands and eyes away from that girl or else..........

#TEAM SCENT

or else what? all of you should stop wasting ur time to e-fight. mummy candy has not said anything yet.
besides, she was only talking about bringing very big yams so let me go and look for people that will farm bigger yam this year as i prepare seriously for this babe that is causing us mothers to e-fight grin cheesy wink cool
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 19, 2015
lenmafon:

or else what? all of you should stop wasting ur time to e-fight. mummy candy has not said anything yet.
besides, she was only talking about bringing very big yams so let me go and look for people that will farm bigger yam this year as i prepare seriously for this babe that is causing us mothers to e-fight grin cheesy wink cool

Hun shocked

So you wanna join us abi undecided

Okay ooo......... We shall see wink

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 19, 2015
lenmafon:

Hun shocked

So you wanna join us too abi undecided

Okay....... we shall see wink

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Cestmoi1(f): 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Congrats on your bundle of joy.....xoxo
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 22, 2015
I'm dedicating this update to the lovely dads in the house.

Chapter 52

"We have filled the vacant slots." The HRM of Golden gate group told a dejected Charles.

Charles held out the brown envelope in his hands towards him. "Please, sir, just look at my credentials," he pleaded. The HRM took a long look at Charles, ignoring the credentials totally.

"Like I said, we are no more hiring." The HRM said. Still standing on his feet with his outstretched hand bearing the documents, he watched the man that has just decided his fate work on his computer. He knew the meeting was over.

"Thank you for your time, sir."

"No problem." Feeling a bit guilty with the way he treated him, the HRM added, "you can drop your CV with my secretary. We'll contact you when there is a vacancy."

Unimpressed with the promise, Charles sighed and walked out of the elegantly furnished office with his shoulders sagged, wearing a long face that complemented his ill-fitted navy blue suit. He had lost some weight since Anna filed for a divorce. He had sold off most of his things to settle the Williams, including his one time flourishing business. He had applied to every corporate organization, vacancy or no vacancy, without any luck. Taking care of his son had become difficult and he was ready to take on any job to pay Daniel's fees and take care of their basic needs.

"Daddy." Daniel ran to him as he opened the door to the secretary's adjoining office. Since the school holidays started, they've been job hunting together.

He patted his son's back as he held out his CV to the charming secretary who had helped him take care of Daniel while his visit to the HRM lasted.

"Oga asked me to drop this with you, thanks for taking care of Daniel."

The secretary took the CV politely and dumped it on the floor on top of the others, near the refrigerator. Charles looked at the heap on the floor and shook his head. Nobody was going to go through the thousands of CVs, except maybe the ground nut seller or the tissue paper companies who buy waste paper. All hope lost. As father and son said their goodbyes and moved towards the door, the secretary beckoned on him to come back.

"I know of a place they are hiring," she smiled, "I just don't know if you won't mind the job."

Charles felt butterflies in his stomach. Like a drowning man who will grab at straws, he almost knelt down before the secretary. "I don't mind any job, sister. Just tell me where, don't even tell me what job." He had applied as a manager in a 'no star' bedbug infested hotel, he had applied as a subject teacher in big private schools, had even considered working as a DHL dispatch rider. What could be worse?, he thought.

"Good to hear that." The secretary quickly scribbled the address on a piece of paper and handed it to him. "Just mention my name and the job is yours." She said, "you can go today."

Charles grabbed it quickly, held his son's hands and said a big thank you. "Yeah! This is it," he threw a punch in the air as they got on a bike. He checked his watch, the time was 1:33pm.

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 22, 2015
Candy...... despite the fact that this update is short, I still appreciate it, it's not easy, Thanks for the update wink

How is my wife doing?

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 22, 2015

"Please, be very careful with your riding oga, I'm going for a job interview." Charles told the bike man.
He held on to Daniel who sat between him and the bike man. They were both involved in bike accident once and he lost the chance to meet the CEO of a consulting firm. He never forgave the bike man for ruining his best suit.

The okada man drove at a reasonable speed for about ten minutes before he stopped in front of a decent looking house that looked like a warehouse.

"Na the place be this, oga."

"Are you sure?" Charles asked an obviously silly question. Written boldly on the sign was 'Sweet loaf bakery', the name written on the piece of paper he held. He gently dropped Daniel off the bike and got down himself. He handed out the agreed N70 to the bike man, used his hands to straighten his rumpled designer suit. He was happy he hasn't started selling his fancy clothes like his brother suggested.

He eyed the building skeptically as he approached the entrance. He would have preferred a better looking and more popular bakery like the 'bakers' world'. He held on tightly to Daniel who was already fascinated with the red and white delivery van parked at the entrance.

"It looks like my toy. I want to play with it" Daniel smiled proudly.

"Yea, after my meeting." His dad assured him.

Charles held a downcast Daniel as they strolled into the vast building that housed the bakery.

"Good afternoon," he greeted the middle aged woman behind the desk.

"You wan buy bread?" She asked without answering his greeting.

The office looked worse from inside. Charles looked round the sparsely furnished office area. He watched as people carried huge wooden trays of freshly baked bread out of the office. His spirit sank. I will turn the place around and even hire a younger receptionist if they pay well, he thought.

"No. I'll like to see Mr..." He checked the name on the piece of paper the secretary gave him earlier, "Mr Raymond."

"From where na?" The rude receptionist asked.

"Just tell him from IFy" he answered.

"He dey inside the oven room." She pointed to the room down the short hall way.

"Can I leave my son here?"

"Abeg, carry go" she answered rudely.

Charles and Daniel walked towards the hot air/ sweet smell. Mr Raymond opened the door just as Charles held the rickety knob, holding Daniel firmly.

"Please I'm asking of Mr Raymond" he told the man coming out of the 'oven room,' dripping in sweat. He watched as Mr Raymond wiped his sweaty brows with his shirt sleeves.

"I want bread" Daniel interrupted, tugging at his dad's pant trouser. The aroma from the bakery and the mixing room was inviting. Charles didn't blame the boy.

"We'll buy bread before we leave." He promised him.

"I'm Ray, follow me." The man coming out of the 'oven' room beckoned for them to follow.

They walked into a small office with a desk, an office chair and two plastic chairs. Raymond sat on the office desk while Charles and Daniel occupied the plastic chairs.

"I'm from Ify," he said without introducing Daniel. Mr Raymond didn't bother asking who he was either.

"I know. It's not a big job, but the pay is fine. Depends on how fast or strong you are"

"Strong and fast?" Charles asked, wondering what the job entailed

"Yes. We like to maintain high level of hygiene here. We clean all pans and even the ovens. If you are fast, you earn big. It's N5/ pan."

"I'm a gradu..." He started saying

"I'm a graduate too, Mr. I started this way too." Mr Raymond cut him short. "you get one or two free loaves, one hour break everyday." He told Charles.

Water threatened to break from his tear duct. He was angry, hungry and sad.

Mr Raymond smiled. "Monday the igede boy cleans 100-120 daily. Chuby cleans about that too and still clean the oven, earning more. Edun, the guy that just left cleans even more." He stood up to open the window, spat through the opening before he continued, "this is a fairly big bakery, we have a large customer base, if you are hard working you will make money."

Charles did a mental calculation of how much he will earn in a month. On the average, N20- 30000 every month. Not worth the stress, he told himself.

"Thank you sir, but I can't take the job." He pulled Daniel's hand, dragging the boy behind him.

His phone rang as he settled down inside the Ajumose bus, Daniel dozing on his laps.

"Hello" Every call had suddenly become important.

"Hello, Mr Charles." The sweet voice on the other end said.

3 Likes

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 22, 2015
Yaaaah!!!! Keep it rolling ma am wink

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by kingphilip(m): 12:54pm On Jun 22, 2015
This is a typical example of from grace to grass.. If he had sensibly played his cards well he would have been in a better position

Candy nice one
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by mariamferanmi(f): 2:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
Tanx 4 d update mummy candy..... Charles is now back to square 1!!!!!! Smh 4 him
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Hameenat94(f): 8:37pm On Jun 22, 2015
Tnx for d update even with ur baby and tight schedule
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by seunviju(f): 11:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nawa o,yoruba will say,oun taba se sile lama pada bo wa ba.ki a ma de ri apada si buruku.Thanks for the update ma'am
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 23, 2015

Chapter 53

The headquarter of the Williams' Dynasty swam with activities as job seekers bumped into one another at the reception. It was a massive recruitment as advertised in the national dailies. With over 400 applicants waiting to be interviewed, Wande listened as she was briefed by the Human resource manager, Mr Akinpelu.

"Mr Akinpelu, the list in my file is different from yours!" Wande aired her observation, making the hrm and his assistant, Mrs Alo very uncomfortable. "Why do I have a different list from yours?" She asked

The room had suddenly become too hot for the HRM. A dedicated and very religious Mrs Alo compared her own list with that of Wande. They tallied.

"I have the same selection list as yours, ma"

By now, the HRM's brows were dripping sweat as he began to shiver on his feet. "I...I...I'm not aware of the second list ma."

"You gave me this list immediately after the board meeting preceding the selection process. Why is there a different final selection list?" She asked, now obviously angry. The time was 9:05, the interview had been slated for 9:15. They were racing against time.

"Griiiiing" the sound of the intercom pierced the room, disrupting the meeting. Wande grabbed the receiver angrily.

"Helen, I thought I made it clear I didn't want any interruption..." She barked into the receiver.

"It's Charles here..."

The voice jolted her back to reality. She dropped the receiver like it was a hot rod. That was one voice she never wanted to hear again. The door opened even before she could recover from the shock of hearing his voice. The room stood still as the secretary ran after Charles.

"I tried to stop him ma..."

"Don't worry, Helen. You can go back to your office."

"Good morning, Wande" Charles greeted her. "Hi, hi" he greeted the HRM and his assistant. "Can we talk in private?" He asked a dumbfounded Wande.

"Sit down." She pointed at the single sofa that faced the 42' LED screen hanging on the wall. "What can I do for you? We have a major interview scheduled for five minutes..."

"I won't take your time." Charles said as he sat comfortably on the sofa, left feet hanging on the table, showing his expensive leather shoe.

"I don't have a second to spare for you now" she said as she continued barking orders at the HRM and his assistant. "Cross out Joseph Adu..., include Banji Boluwatife" she carried on as if he was no longer there. The time was 9:20, already five minutes behind time. The shrill sound of a phone disrupted their preparation again, this time it was her android. Her attention was needed at the boardroom. The interview panel was ready.

She faced a laid back Charles, "Can we talk some other time?"

"No, mam," he stood up and adjusted his rumpled jacket, a frown registered on his face. "I'll only take a second..in fact, move closer, I'll whisper it into your ears."

The HRM and his assistant took the cue and left in a hurry. Wande sat dejectedly on her expensive leather seat. "Now, what?" She asked Charles.

He adjusted his jacket again, beaming with smiles. He looked lean and rough, a far cry from what he looked like the last time they met at Iyaganku police station.

"I want the twins to meet their brother."

1 Like

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 23, 2015
He must be joking, i guess the twins could meet their brother though but not with the way Charles is going about with it. Weldone Candy, how is our adorable one?
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 23, 2015
Chaiiii....... Charles wanna blackmail Wande wink
I guess he wants to use the twins as an opportunity to get a job

Candy, well done ooo

#TEAM SCENT
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 23, 2015
shuo! c blackmailing o, ds guy no go hear word sef, he wan use d twin to get visa? he no dey shame sef, slept with his friend's wife... shit
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Hameenat94(f): 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ghen Ghen!! Trouble is looming! Tnx for d update MA.
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by sammyomotola: 1:14pm On Jun 23, 2015
I knew charlse ll come again
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by soniachuks(f): 3:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
imagine this Charles oh
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by JojoBlue(f): 5:21pm On Jun 23, 2015
Charles is so desperate he'll resort to the only thing he knows best: BLACKMAIL!
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Calmdove(f): 6:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
JojoBlue:
Charles is so desperate he'll resort to the only thing he knows best: BLACKMAIL!
Yes ooo charles doesn't nt learn all he knows is to blackmail...anyway sha make we wait and see how mama candy go unleash d suspense
candy:
"I want the twins to meet their brother."
Omo see danger...wahala done de... Am suspecting wande frd to av told charles*tnks 4 d update candy"swt mummmy"
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 24, 2015

Wande wiped her tear-stained face. She adjusted her wide cape-like collar and smoothened her rumpled red dress. She quickly dabbed some powder and re-applied her makeup lightly. She checked her diamond studded Cartier watch, the time was 9:45am. She had been crying silently in her restroom for three minutes while 'evil' Charles watched CNN in her office. How did Charles know about the twins was one question that begged for an answer.

"Enough!" She said to her image in the mirror. "I can and I will handle it!" She convinced herself. The interview panel must be waiting for her, she thought.
Head held high, chin up, she walked confidently into her office. She saw that familiar evil grin on Charles' face.

"So, when are my twins..." He started

"Shush" Wande raised her palm. "The fate of over a hundred graduates is waiting to be decided by a board that I'm part of. I can't afford to dignify your BS with a response now. I'll call you." With that, she pointed at the door. "Please leave now."

Charles stood rooted to the spot. He was shocked at her reaction. He quickly found his way to the door without saying a word. A big sigh of relief escaped from her as she watched him leave. Her body shook visibly. Where she got the courage, she didn't know. She grabbed her file and car key and dashed out. No time to think about Charles' visit. She descended the stairs, two at a time.

She stopped short at the head of the second lap, the part that overlooked the reception. The crowd was overwhelming.

"Good morning ma" one of the messengers greeted her.

"Wow! Why are there so many people?" She asked no one as she entered the boardroom.

"Most of them are gate crashers, they didn't write the test." The marketing manager answered her.

"Let's start now." She eyed the HRM who still looked uncomfortable. "We are using the original list."

1 Like

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 24, 2015
Chapter 54

"The worst has happened," Wande sobbed on Teju's shoulder as she narrated Charles' visit. They sat on the
Lounge chairs in the garden over looking a fairly large fish pond, the only thing her husband cared about, apart from himself and his chain of girlfriends. The pond, well maintained by Teju's veterinary doctor husband housed the finest breed of cat fish.

"It's ok., please don't hurt yourself.

"It's over. I should have told Segun about the paternity of the twins, I shouldn't have allowed Tade to hear about..." She ranted, her voice broken from her crying.

Teju removed Wande's head gently from her shoulder and looked at her face. "You handled Charles very well. Let's figure out how to really sort it out."

Wande sat down on the nearest sofa. Her legs were failing her. She was weak from the ordeal and her pregnancy was taking its toll on her.

"I'm sure Tade told him." She sobbed

"Just forget about that and let's find a way of handling Charles." She moved closer to Wande, placed a hand on her shoulder tenderly, "I suggest you just leave Segun and relocate back to the states with the twins"

Wande smiled through her tears. "What happens to my baby?" She rubbed her slight baby bump

"We cross the bridge when we get there." Her friend assured her. "No man is worth your tears, not even Segun."

Wande agreed with her friend, even though she loved Segun and was going to miss him.

"Em, by the way...have you told Segun about your pregnancy?"

"Not yet. I was hoping to tell him on our saturday date. I couldn't tell him earlier because of the missing baby saga. I'm so confused now."

Sade's baby was declared missing for over 72 hours. The baby had been found with Sade's ex-boyfriend. Apparently, it was Sade's plan to use the kidnap story to extort huge amount of money from Segun's family. The case was still in court.

Teju adjusted her sitting posture, adjusted her caftan and checked the small mirror hanging over the wash basin. "I don't think you should tell him sha." She said over her shoulders. "Especially now that he has a baby mama." She chuckled

"But he's not marrying her!"

"His mum wants them married, Wande."

"Not since she teamed up with her boyfriend to swindle him" Wande defended the man she had come to love.

"You don't want to lock horns with that cheap slut over his attention, do you?" Teju asked with all seriousness.

"Hmm" wande sighed. Having anything to do with Bola's family scared her. But above all, she loved her man, making even more confused by the minute.

2 Likes

Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by tsodjete: 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2015
Nice one ma'am. How is our little angel
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by sammyomotola: 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2015
Hmmn
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by SexySapphire(f): 4:00pm On Jun 24, 2015
Welcome back candy. Thank God I decided to just check in, if not I wouldn't have known that you've started updating again. How's the baby? I hope she's doing so well?
Sade and Charles needs to hook up, they are birds of a feather. Always thinking they can achieve everything through crook means. Wande should just stop crying cos now is the time to think and act fast. She mustn't allow Charles to manipulate her and she should open up to Segun on time. As for Tade and Bola, they deserve one another.
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by tescoleps(f): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2015
Madam Candy tanx for d update. E ku owo lomi, hw's my cute angel?
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by seunviju(f): 1:18am On Jun 25, 2015
Wande you need to be strong naw,but this Teju girl there is something I just don't seems to like about her.Thanks for the update ma'am
Re: unHOLY MATRIMONY by soniachuks(f): 8:54am On Jun 25, 2015
Hmmmmm am suspecting this Teju girl

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (Reply)

Two Years To Thirty(short Story) / The Complete Assassin / Flow And Snow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.