Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,303 members, 7,940,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 07:35 PM

UK Denies Ribadu Asylum - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Denies Ribadu Asylum (4213 Views)

I’m Not Seeking Asylum Anywhere, Says Diezani / Six Countries Reject Alison-Madueke’s Asylum Request - Sahara Reporters / US Whistleblower : Russia Extends Edward Snowden's Asylum By 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by ahwuyen(m): 11:06am On Dec 17, 2008
guys dont mind muza and creativity. they spread negativity news about Ribadu trials. pls if u need any informaton about Ribadu whereabout and the present efcc crops of leader deals.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by ahwuyen(m): 11:08am On Dec 17, 2008
guys don't mind muza and creativity. they spread negativity news about Ribadu trials. please if u need any informaton about Ribadu whereabout and the present efcc crops of leader deals. go to www.saharareporters.com
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Backslider(m): 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2008
Lord Save nigeria there are more Ribadus in our youngs and they are destroying it help us Lord.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by meekm: 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2008
It's only people who did not follow the "reign" of the slim mallam that are calling him a saint. I liked his job when he first started but before one could say Nuhu, he deviated and started being selective in prosecution, arrogant, silly, stubborn and power drunk. He went as far as using a bulldozer to pull down the gates of Chief Adenuga of Globacom who has employed millions of Nigerians just because he was anti-third term. Please Nigerians, allow justice to take its full course. If the courts clear him of every wrong doing, let him be free otherwise, let him 'smell the rod' like anyone else who commits an offence. The man is laying a bad precedent by insurbodinating the police force. Can you imagine an 'ordinary' Nigerian refusing to 'move' when a 'kill and go' (Mobile policemen) orders him to move? He may be shot or beaten to a pulp. Here is RIBIDU disobeying constituted authorities with reckless abandon!! Is he not a Nigerian like every one of us? Give me a break! angry
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by sperrysun(m): 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2008
Nigeria is a really special country where oddities abound. How can that incompetent,inept, and sick man in Aso rock condone and covertly or overtly aprove, the series of indignities that Nuhu Ribadu is being subjected to, and still preach and pontificate that he is all for the rule of law and 'zero tolerance'for corruption.Indeed!!!

Ribadu,deserves a medal of honour for his galant strides in the fight against corruption,instead he is getting disgraced and humiliated. He gave the Iboris,Dariyes,Alams,etc of this sick country a taste of the other side of affluence and law.What signals do these acts of humiliation and disgrace send to the next public office holder? I know , its loot as much as you can and please do not rock the boat, let 'LOOTING DOGS LIE'. See what happens to those who try to 'correct' the system, Ribadu

MAY GOD HELP NIGERIA.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by damola1: 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2008
amen.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by eleven(m): 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2008
Muza & Crea8tivy see another of your favourite delight from DAILY INDEPENDENCE enjoy! grin

EFCC Threatens To Place el-Rufai On World Watch List

By Alexandra Mede, Snr Correspondent, Abuja

Former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nasir el-Rufai, may be placed on world watch list by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) if he fails to show up by Friday to answer allegations levelled against him.
An EFCC official told Daily Independent on Tuesday that the two weeks of grace given to him on December 1 expired on Monday.
The EFCC had issued the ultimatum after el-Rufai repeatedly failed to honour invitations to explain his alleged involvement in economic crimes and abuse of office in the sale of government houses in 2005.
"We have extended the ultimatum to the end of the week after which we will watch list him," the source confirmed.
The EFCC disclosed early this month that el-Rufai sent in his lawyer with a letter requesting that all questions be communicated through the lawyer.
But the Commission declined the request and insisted that he appears in person or faces the consequences.
He is also being asked to account for the balance of N32 billion in the sale of government houses in Abuja and all funds collected by the Satellite Towns Development Agency as well as Abuja Investments and Property Development Company.

Source: http://www.independentngonline.com/news/tfpg/article03
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2008
my dear eleven, we need to grow up. i do not think there is any need for this type of advertisement. it is obvious that ribadu has crossed the line, and the best we could do is: find a way for this man to over-come this mess. if you have problem with his replacement, go ahead and let the issues be known. and i promise you that we will finish her together. nigeria would only come out of darkness if the citizens are bold enough and willing to identify what is wrong with the system, no matter what the matter may be. shielding some people because we love them or they've done so much for the country is the main reason why efcc has fallen apart. if we encourage people to disobey the rules and regulation, what kind of country or future are we trying to build?
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 17, 2008
confirm

creativity is Bigb1

Same choice of words!!!!!!!
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Muza(m): 3:50pm On Dec 17, 2008
eleven:

Muza & Crea8tivy see another of your favourite delight from DAILY INDEPENDENCE enjoy! grin

EFCC Threatens To Place el-Rufai On World Watch List

By Alexandra Mede, Snr Correspondent, Abuja

Former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nasir el-Rufai, may be placed on world watch list by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) if he fails to show up by Friday to answer allegations levelled against him.
An EFCC official told Daily Independent on Tuesday that the two weeks of grace given to him on December 1 expired on Monday.
The EFCC had issued the ultimatum after el-Rufai repeatedly failed to honour invitations to explain his alleged involvement in economic crimes and abuse of office in the sale of government houses in 2005.
"We have extended the ultimatum to the end of the week after which we will watch list him," the source confirmed.
The EFCC disclosed early this month that el-Rufai sent in his lawyer with a letter requesting that all questions be communicated through the lawyer.
But the Commission declined the request and insisted that he appears in person or faces the consequences.
He is also being asked to account for the balance of N32 billion in the sale of government houses in Abuja and all funds collected by the Satellite Towns Development Agency as well as Abuja Investments and Property Development Company.

Source: http://www.independentngonline.com/news/tfpg/article03

Are you aware that theres outstanding balance for the sale of houses that is untraceable or has not been remitted?
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Sauron1: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2008
aragbaboy:

The Iboris of this world will continue to fail, the story in Daily Independent is a hatchet job. If Ribadu ever apply for asylum the UK, they might just give the excuse that they are processing it for years in order not to take sides. The truth of the matter is that he took the battle against corruption to new heights that had never be seen before. He is human, he made some mistake but compare to what he did, he is one of our heroes, who had showed that there is still hope.

This is pathetic!!!

The CAUSE he championed was one-sided. Of course, everyone wants to see the corrupt officials brought to book and locked in prisons but Ribadu was mainly after OBJ's political enemies. That made his EFCC worthless, impure and partial.
Ribadu our hero?? U must be smoking lah. . . . Has he put food on a poor man's table?? Solved Naija's electricity problem??
He is your hero, he is Nigeria's ZERO!!!
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2008
This is pathetic!!!

The CAUSE he championed was one-sided. Of course, everyone wants to see the corrupt officials brought to book and locked in prisons but Ribadu was mainly after OBJ's political enemies. That made his EFCC worthless, impure and partial.
Ribadu our hero?? U must be smoking lah. . . . Has he put food on a poor man's table?? Solved Naija's electricity problem??

a sample of a good nigerian. this is how to think.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Muza(m): 4:26pm On Dec 17, 2008
~Sauron~:

This is pathetic!!!

Why is it so damn hard for many people to see this.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by NosaHenry(m): 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2008
This man Ribadu should be careful.
When he was promoted wrongly, did he protest. No
When he was being used by OBJ to persecute perceived opponents, did he protest. No
When he defied court injuctions, did he protest. No
He should know that in the game of politics you either win or loose. He should be a good sportman and accept his travails. That is life.

cool cool He should be advised not to come to Edo state. We don't need his likes.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by gbainde: 6:19pm On Dec 17, 2008
Ribadu is a great guy, it's a shame that people with half hearted minds crucify this anti-corruption legend. Ask yourself how many people were prosecuted for public fund looting before ribadu? how many have been after his departure? even the governors cases are not done in hushed scenes? This is man that restored a degrading image and returned overseas looted fund? you dont think of Ajudua, Ibekwe and so on. All you see is Atiku, Alams, Tafa and we are gullibly misled that EFFC is a witchhunting tool. Are all these people saints? do we know what it takes to prosecute politicians, an occultic network with sophisticated influence? The EFCC LEGAL framework made it easy for Obasanjo to manipulate him. So you can argue that he does not respect human rights when our leaders mortgage our future without a prick of conscience? i challenge 99% of Nigerians to be in Ribadu shoes and see if we will get a good result like he did or average public sector result like we have NOW. EFCC is now another arm of ministry of Justice.Police never believes in merit, is Okiro the most senior officer but was made IG on presidential order, so Ribadu was promoted for ingenuity by the commander in chief and the real corrupt police force feared his ascendancy to the top. God save Nigeria where noble men are spat upon ,outcasts are given beaded crowns,
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by AnEnigma(m): 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2008
Ribadu's downfall started when he messed with my oga the odidigboigbo of the universe chief james ibori.
Now my oga is now showing him how things are run in nigeria.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by IykeD1(m): 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2008

my dear eleven, we need to grow up. i do not think there is any need for this type of advertisement. it is obvious that ribadu has crossed the line, and the best we could do is: find a way for this man to over-come this mess. if you have problem with his replacement, go ahead and let the issues be known. and i promise you that we will finish her together. nigeria would only come out of darkness if the citizens are bold enough and willing to identify what is wrong with the system, no matter what the matter may be. shielding some people because we love them or they've done so much for the country is the main reason why efcc has fallen apart. if we encourage people to disobey the rules and regulation, what kind of country or future are we trying to build?

Ever heard of capital letters? That is what you use when you begin a new sentence, but hey, what can anyone
expect from an educational system founded by IBB, enhanced by Abacha, and starved of funds by Ibori and co.'s
activities. Believe it or not, you are already a victim of the same people that Ribadu was going after.

I suppose looting states' funds is not part of "obeying rules and regulations". I wonder what kind of future you
will build with an empty treasury. Oh well, no matter how much IBB, Ibori, Lucky, Kalu, etc. steals, they can only drive their Bentleys on the same pot-holed filled roads as the okada man. No matter how many private jets they own in the country, there are still subject to a generally unsafe airspace. Remember what happened to the late Sultan? Nemesis will catch up with them and theirs one day.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by software(m): 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2008
i think it is better he comes back to Nigeria and fight for himself, if he leaves the country it shows he has somethings he is hiding, he a security expert, he can protect himself,
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2008
my darling iyke-d, why do you sound so hostile? you need to turn it down just a little bit, you're scaring me. and i'm so sorry for not using CAPITAL LETTERS, the program that i'm running doesn't permit caps. love always.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by aragbaboy: 9:37pm On Dec 17, 2008
~Sauron~:

This is pathetic!!!

Sauron whether you like it or not he is a hero to the vast majority of Nigerians, thats why people like Gani are supporting him. He was human, therefore susceptible to mistakes. As EFCC chairman it was not his duty to put food on our table or provide electricity, his actions would have made such things possible indirectly in the long term as there wont be abandoned contract anymore.
People like you just come to nairaland to display your childish mentality, because you cannot argue your points without insulting people.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Afam(m): 10:24pm On Dec 17, 2008
But wait ooo, is cre8tivity really BigB1?

The guy don change sex too after hin change name. Na wah for Nairaland.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by eddmo(m): 11:16pm On Dec 17, 2008
my people let us not deceived our selves because ribadu fight corruption on page of newspaper,and if he is sincere why have he not handed over to farida waziri, a man who do not obey court order is now running to court for rule of law procedure,a man who thought that EFCC is his father property,a man who humiliate his boss to please someone in aso rock and in return was given accelerated promotion to AIG which mean he can become IG tomarrow, fellow comrades in the house ribadu travail is within his immediate constituency the police where he refuse to take order from his boss, let us leave iboris and co out this matter if his hand are clean then he have no fear to seek asylum outside,let us learn a lesson especially for those who will be in corridor of power tomarrow,let him go report in his new duty post where no egunje will be coming and no more hampers and freebies.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by idiopathic: 11:36pm On Dec 17, 2008
Eddmo, do you mean that a man who recovered over $5.6 billion dollars over his stewardship at EFCC fought corruption on the pages of newspaper? Waziri made this known at a recent anti-corruption event held in Abuja. Ribadu is a champion of the masses and we will continue to remain grateful to him. He tried his very best under very difficult circumstances and he was able to instill the fear of stealing in our elected officers.

It is your likes that critised Idiagbon of being too strict and welcomed IBB with open hands before of his deceptive smile. After 10 years of Babangida's massive corruption, we are all still paying the price of his misrule.
We have to decide if we are really serious about changing our society otherwise, zimbabwe will be better than nigeria in a coupke of years.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by master2(m): 6:55am On Dec 18, 2008
I wonder whats wrong with naija poeple.we 4got so easily how it was licence to steal 4 most public officers in this country.the fear of ribadu was the begining of wisdom.i doubt if i can say that for Farida.YES! Ribadu made some mistake who hasn't.this national harrasment by the govt of Yaradua goes to show how yaradua wants to fight{abi encouraging} curruption.NAIJA PEOPLE OPEN UR EYES, lets stand up for truth.Ibori was one of Yaradua sponsors so u can understand Yaradua's stand.
for RIBADU, i stand with u; i pray for U. your enemy will not succeed. AMEN.
@cerativity
@muza
i believe u or one of ur person don enter EFCC net before.the guy try even if he no do em work 100% well.make another person start from and improve on wetin the guy done do(i no c hope for farida). abi creativity n muza should apply.mumu tongue grin grin grin
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by master2(m): 7:20am On Dec 18, 2008
@idiopatic
my guy i support u 150%.no mind those mumu when politics don blind there eyes.we need iron hand like idiagbon in this country.Ribadu was close to that.
i dey hale my brother gov, ophs!, servant leader Adams Oshomole for e success.abeg no follow the step of those scavengers wen spoil EDO.OH ! EDO my great state of abountant natural and human resources.sssh(hissing) e go better as better people don enter govt and if they Bleep UP we go REMOVE them; as democracy don they take style settle small,small.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by otukpo(f): 9:38am On Dec 18, 2008
For those of u who think that ribadu is their hero, goodluck to you. But for the discerning minds who are able to read between the lines, to see when others are not seeing, God will continue to grant you wisdom. The evil called Ribadu can only be seen by the wise, and u don't expect to see more foolish than wise people in a country like ours.

Point of corruption, that someone sees the evil that Ribadu did does not mean that the person is related to someone dealt with by Ribadu.

Evil is evil, no matter what colour or shape it comes in. We seek for a country where justice, equity and fairplay rule. Did Ribadu stand by that. Let us not be clouded by sentiment except u are telling us that if u were the one in Ribadu's shoes, u would have done worse. As for me, i would have used my conscience and be fair to all concerned, if not i will resign.

They say ' whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well'. Ribadu did not do his work well and so he get not my pass mark.

I can decide to start my sentence with a small letter or even write [i]r[/i]ibadu starting with a small letter on this forum. i choose that, and that dosent mean u had a better education than i.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by wunmilyn(f): 10:03am On Dec 18, 2008
As far as i am conern, dat mallam Ribadu is also a thief cos only a thief knows how to catch a thief,
he was operating partially.
he was used by dat idiot (OBJ) to be againt all his political enemies.
so he deserve all wat he is going through now, cos wat goes around surely turns around.
now its his own turn and i will never pity.

for those who says he his an hero dats to thier their own pocket
to me he is nothing but an idiot.

abeg no body holy.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Afam(m): 2:05pm On Dec 18, 2008
I find it hard to understand why Nigerians hate Ribadu and are currently supporting the problems he is facing.

Well, even armed robbers will not be happy when the police is arresting or killing them so it may be the case here.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by fidipson: 9:46am On Dec 19, 2008
The article below is only for sensible Nigerians to read.

They Will Kill Nuhu Ribadu

Last Modified on Thu 11th December, 2008 8:47:17 am
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara

By Abiodun Ladepo

When (for it is no longer a question of ‘if’) they finally kill Nuhu Ribadu, the embattled pioneer chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), heaven will not fall. Of course, several hues and cries will emanate from eclectic quarters: the NLC, ASUU, TI (Transparency International), the UN, AU (African Union), AREWA, Ndigbo, Afenifere, Market Women Associations, Market Men Associations, Old People’s Union, Young People’s Union, Nigerians in Diaspora – a limitless number of crocodile tear shedders will fill gallons upon gallons of drums with their crocodile tears in mournful memory of Nuhu Ribadu.

Pen pushers like me, especially those of us enjoying the faux anonymity of the Internet and the relative remoteness of our physical locations, will bombard the Internet with rage-laced articles condemning the killing of the man that was the face of the first ever constructive fight against corruption in Nigeria, and the scion of bravery in the face of unmitigated danger. Those residing in Nigeria, especially those employed by news organizations whose owners enjoy the patronage and largess of the ruling class will tamp down their anguish and temper their criticisms with a large dose of realism. They will caveat their condemnation of Ribadu’s killers with the excuse that “the man went too far.” (In fact, they have already started to say so!) In due course…in a very short time, the hues and cries will die a natural death.

It has happened before in Nigeria. We cried Bloody Murder when Dele Giwa was murdered. Students demonstrated in higher institutions; workers called for justice; lawyers threatened action; journalists…oooh… journalists were aghast. For at least a whole year, Newswatch magazine ran the banner question: “Who Killed Dele Giwa?” Everybody thought he/she knew who did it. This was in 1986. Twenty-two years later, heaven did not fall and his killer(s) have not been found. We cried when M.K.O Abiola was murdered…murdered while in the custody of President Abacha. The whole world was astounded. Nigerians all over Nigeria demonstrated. Nigerians in the UK demonstrated. Those in the US marched on the State Department, Nigerian Embassy and the White House. The whole world had a good idea who killed Abiola. This was in 1993. It has been fifteen years now and no one has been clearly identified as his killer(s). We all think we know who did it, but justice has yet to be done.

They killed Ken Saro-Wiwa…openly, with utter disregard for the massive local and international intercession, and without any compunction. They tied a noose around his neck and executed him after trying him in a kangaroo court which provided no recourse to an appeal. Then, for good measure, they poured acid on his remains. This was government-sponsored open execution! They killed him and got away with it. The list is endless here…the list of high-powered, high-ranking, public and private persons murdered at night or in the day; murdered by poisoning or by execution; murdered by hired, private assassins or by state-sponsored assassins. The list is endless, but I will name a few: Bola Ige (a whole serving attorney-general of the Federation (!), Kudirat Abiola, Pa Alfred Rewane, Harry Marshall (ANPP National Chairman), Funsho Williams (PDP candidate in Lagos State), and Ayo Daramola (PDP aspirant in Ekiti State).
They killed all those people and nothing happened. And none…none of those people stepped on as many a toe as Ribadu stepped on feet! Not even Abiola, who threatened to take Abacha’s job, built for himself such a wide array of enemies as Ribadu has done in his pursuit of “Vagabonds in Power” - apologies to Fela Anikulapo Kuti. It is even a miracle that the man is still alive. Here was a relatively junior police officer that had the audacity to investigate Tafa Balogun, an Inspector-General of Police, for corruption, pursued the man until he confessed to his crimes, and was found guilty by the courts, sent to jail, and made to regurgitate most of his stolen wealth. Here was the man who exposed the grand larcenies perpetrated by kleptomaniacs like former governors Alamieyeseigha, Fayose, Dariye and Ibori. Here was a man that gave former vice-president Atiku cause for worries because the man is (or was) believed to have stolen from Nigeria. Here was the man that went to Ibadan and expressed regrets at the fact that in spite of their political sophistication, the people of Oyo State allowed their state to be ruled (not governed) by a cabal of thieves led by the duo of the late Adedibu and governor Alao-Akala.

Here was the man that began the burnishing of Nigeria’s and Nigerians’ long-tainted image abroad. Because of the forthrightness and purposefulness of his anti-corruption crusade, Nigeria and Nigerians began to be respected in the comity of Nations. No country is devoid of corrupt entities. No one is saying that Nigerians (and Nigerians only) enjoy the monopoly of ingrained corrupt tendencies. In fact, just a couple of days ago (09 Dec 2008), the governor of the state of Illinois in the US, Rod Blagojevich, was visited at 6 a.m. by members of the FBI who carted him off to jail to face corruption charges. The Prime Minister of Israel, Ehud Olmert, is resigning from office because of the widening of the corruption charges leveled at him. These are sitting Chief Executives of a State and a country respectively. They did not cry persecution. They did not claim executive immunity. In jails across the US, there are members of Congress, both state and Federal levels, serving time for corruption.

So, again, Nigeria is not the only country that has plain thieves in the garb of public servants. But Nigeria and Nigerians are unique in the sense that like the ostrich, we bury our heads in the sand and pretend that nothing wrong is going on around us. We celebrate and eulogize people we know quite well are nothing but thieves. We then join the bandwagon in vilifying and crucifying those we know quite well are nothing but hard-working, sincere people who have placed the love of their country before their personal safety and those that eschew self-aggrandizement in the discharge of their duties. When we don’t openly join in the public lynching of those, like Ribadu, that are our beacons of hope and our pathfinders and compass to civilized behaviors, we let our strident silence symbolize our criminal acquiescence to their humiliation and destruction. Cowards, us all, we sit idly and watch the stultification of our hopes and dreams by ne’er –do-wells that will do anything to protect their loot.

When Ribadu started his war against corruption, many of us egged him on. In that volatile country where lives mean nothing to evil-doers, Ribadu put his life on the line daily. He drove around in his mid-size, non-bullet resistant BMW, most of the time without any security. We were so very proud of him. Many in my circle of friends were even dreaming of him as a possible replacement for Obasanjo as president. His choice, they reasoned, would have been universally received without question. At the very least, I thought an Inspector-General of Police Nuhu Ribadu would have done a lot of good for Nigeria as a whole, and the Nigeria Police Force in particular.

But ours is a country where progress is forever progressively stunted and excellence is routinely sacrificed at the altar of mediocrity. We will never know how much better our lives would have been today if we had allowed Obafemi Awolowo to govern Nigeria. We will never know how much we lost by never hiring Nnamdi Azikiwe as President. We will never have the benefit of the “progressive” inclination of Aminu Kano. Instead of electing one of these gentlemen as president, we sold our souls to the pedestrian, clueless Shehu Shagari who catapulted us back to the Stone Age. Gani Fawehinmi is now in his 70s. If anything, his stint as attorney-general of the Federation would have been nothing like that of Michael Aondoakaa, the current pro-criminal, conspiratorial, and pseudo rule-of-law progenitor. Instead, Fawehinmi has seen the inside of many of Nigeria’s worst prisons, not because he was convicted by any court of law, but because he dared to speak truth to power.

Where would Nigeria be today had we allowed Murtala Muhammed to continue the cleansing of Nigeria of the dregs in our society that seem to truncate our desires at every turn? What about a President Wole Soyinka, or at least a Minister of Education, Wole Soyinka? Why did we ever have morons like Jubril Aminu as Education minister? And now, the big question: why do we have Yar’Adua as president? Of all the able-bodied and able-minded people that litter our political landscape, how come Yar’Adua is the one in charge? Why have we meandered from one calamitous ruler to another? Is it our destiny, or is it because we are cowards, unable to choose our own leaders? Are we cursed?

The forces arrayed against Ribadu are strong and varied. They are well-oiled, well-funded and determined. They are as calculating as they are ruthless. They mounted a huge media onslaught against the man in a bid to first assassinate his character before assassinating his person. And it appears they are succeeding. All you have to do is read our newspapers. Our fickle-minded journalists, those whose keyboards type in consonance with brown envelopes, have started to question Ribadu’s tenure as EFCC chairman. They are accusing him of having used the EFCC to target Obasanjo’s perceived and real enemies. None of them – indolent saboteurs all – has the strength of character to dig up any exculpatory evidence on any of the thieves that Ribadu either put away or put on the run. None of these jeun-jeun journalists has explained how James Ibori, for example, came into such blind wealth.

Even if, for the sake of argument, Ribadu was knowingly used by Obasanjo to harass his enemies, the fact still remains that those “enemies” were guilty of corruption of extreme proportions. We are not talking about thousands of naira. We are talking about billions of naira that belong to communities with no electricity, no gainful sources of employment; where the populace is ravaged by disease and abject poverty; where pipe-borne water is a pipe dream and simple medical care is a mirage. Our journalists, the so-called Fourth Estate of the Realm, are again abdicating their responsibilities by not calling a spade what it really is. Just look at the tepid criticism, by the media, of the lethargic and rudderless ship of government that Yar’Adua is captaining, and compare that to the virulent criticism that Obasanjo, whose government, at least, provided us with some hope and excitement, received. I don’t know why we continue to arrogate to Nigerian media practitioners the appellation that their peers in other countries deserve, but they have not earned.

Of course, sane minds like Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka have spoken up in Ribadu’s defense. And so have people like Gani Fawehinmi. But these are mostly tired titans who are fully grayed and should no longer be fighting our battles for us. How much longer will they continue to fight for us? When will they see the fruits of their labors? Will they ever see the fruits of their labors?
Ribadu was not supposed to be perfect. If he was, he would be God. He was supposed to be human. He was supposed to provide a template for his successor to use in furthering the fight against corruption. Ribadu was not (and should not have been) expected to catch all the thieves in the corridors of power. Yes, at times he was loquacious and at times he was garrulous. But on balance, he was what we needed. His efforts at the EFCC should have been complimented by that of the Nigeria Police Force, which, the last time I checked, still had the responsibility, among others, to investigate and prosecute all suspected criminals, financial or otherwise. How many high-profile or even low-profile corruption cases has the Nigeria Police Force prosecuted since 1989? Zilch.

When they murder Nuhu Ribadu - and they will - as I wrote above (because these are conscience-less, super-entrenched sadists), the newspapers and Internet pages will be filled with dirges and cries of another hero lost. Being a Moslem, Ribadu will have been buried within hours of his death, his reputation forever tarnished, his family forever decimated, and the cause for which he lost his life forever lost. And for Nigeria, the vicious cycle will continue – the vicious cycle of brutalizing and dehumanizing our heroes; the vicious cycle of endemic corruption that subjects our nationals to international ridicule.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by hollandis(f): 9:50am On Dec 19, 2008
Afam:

I find it hard to understand why Nigerians hate Ribadu and are currently supporting the problems he is facing.

Well, even armed robbers will not be happy when the police is arresting or killing them so it may be the case here.
Nobody hates him.Nemesis is just catching up with him
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by carmelily: 11:37am On Dec 19, 2008
I really do not understand the stand of the people who claim Ribadu went after OBJ's political opponents. They may help me understand their viewpoint better by addressing these questions as honestly as possible.

1. Did Ribadu find any innocent person guilty? or better yet, were any of those people he caught actually innocent of the charges against them?
2. Why didn't Ribadu go after Buhari, OBJ's most avowed political opponent?
3. Were all those 419 boys OBJ's political opponents?
4. Weren't OBJ's staunch supporters (e.g Ibori) who were guilty also hounded and brought to book?
5. Has any other figure in the history of Nigeria actively fought against corruption using government resources like Ribadu?
6. Has any other government official in the history of Nigeria mentioned the names of sacred cows and evil geniuses so openly and fought to bring them to book even when the odds were against him and at obvious risk to his life?
7. Has any other Nigerian been so successful at recovering stolen funds (with successes acknowledged at home and abroad)?
8. Can any of Ribadu's faultfinders do a better job?
9. Can any of his accusers on Nairaland cite another Nigerian that should have been given Ribadu's post and why?
10. Is EFCC more effective today without Ribadu?

Please help me understand o!
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by soloqy: 12:04pm On Dec 19, 2008
@carmelily

I am glad that we have rational thinking people like you (and a few others) here.

You asked very cogent questions.

Some of these people claim that Ribadu was fighting only those that were against OBJ or those that spoke against the former president.

Please help me and ask them why Gani, Pat Utomi, Ken Nnamani, Buhari(as you already mentioned) and many others that constantly taunted OBJ, were not arrested and charged with corruption by Ribadu.

People in Nigeria are so gullible and most often than not, refuse to think things through.

You lot should endeavour to think things through at all times and thus, get the real picture.

I don't touch these newspapers, Daily Independent and Sun Newspaper .

This two papers are owned by two proven criminals and corrupt former governors.

What do you expect to read from these two? Have you ever read anything(surely, there ought to be at least one) good thing about OBJ or Ribadu from these two papers?

I would advice you guys to please read more credible news sources like Thisday and Guardian and Businessday. These ones have no affiliations with any money bag or corrupt former official.

Ribadu's present problems are largely orchestrated by Ibori. Tell me what has happened to all the cases that were established by Ribadu.

Since the new person got there, we started hearing of missing case files. Everything was drawn to a halt. Its a big shame on her.

Having said all this, I wont be surprised if there are yahoo yahoo people contributing to this thread.

Of course we know that this set of people also have an axe to grind with Ribadu. :-)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Cherish Nigeria ? / Police Arrest 2 Over Bomb Threat / Lie: Igbo Do Not Own 70% Of Abuja. All Nigerians Are In Abuja

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.