Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,243 members, 7,943,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 04:23 PM

Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) (7652 Views)

Advice:Toyota Rav4 2006 V6 / BRAKE SYSTEM CARE 101: Caring For Your Brake System Components & Fluids / These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 10, 2015
Hello friends,

Please where can I buy synthetic Dextron III ATF. My car atf dipstick says Dexron II or Dexron III. I would prefer a synthetic atf. Can I buy a dexron VI atf and use it on my ride when it clearly says dexron II/III.

Contributions please.

Thank you so much

1 Share

Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by sultaan(m): 2:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
chiebube:
Hello friends,

Please where can I buy synthetic Dextron III ATF.

Thanks

WHy are you people still buying DextronIII go buy Dextron VI

If you don't understand why go wiki Dextron or google Dextron VI
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by DECOtech(m): 1:28am On Jan 11, 2015
chiebube:
Hello friends,

Please where can I buy synthetic Dextron III ATF. My car atf dipstick says Dexron II or Dexron III. I would prefer a synthetic atf. Can I buy a dexron VI atf and use it on my ride when it clearly says dexron II/III.

Contributions please.

Thank you so much

You are smarter than the vehicle manufacturer, abi?

3 Likes

Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by sultaan(m): 4:02am On Jan 11, 2015
DECOtech:

You are smarter than the vehicle manufacturer, abi?

Explain that please not sure if you meant car, fluid, or licensee of Dextron
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by DECOtech(m): 7:39am On Jan 11, 2015
sultaan:

Explain that please not sure if you meant car, fluid, or licensee of Dextron

Stick with dextron 3 if ur tranny is marked dextron 3
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:54am On Jan 11, 2015
chiebube:
Hello friends,

Contributions please.

Thank you so much

A car is a major investment, if the vehicle breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, the expense and inconvenience can be high. You asked a good question, so that your decision will be rational. So I am going to see if I can help you lay the facts and help you come to a conclusion!

When was your vehicle manufactured?

What was the applicable Dexron standard then?

If your vehicle were manufactured today, would the manufacturer uses an outdated/withdrawn Dexron standard (assuming it did not join the bandwagon of creating its own fluid for its own type of car)?

What is the meaning of backward-compatible?

If you needed to replace an ECM would you get the old part (which has the same part number as the failed part) or the updated part (which has an incremented part no)?

Anywhere, this is the most authoritative source I can point to http://www.archivedsites.com/techlink/2009/05/

Just remember that the licenses for Dexron III were withdrawn as far back as 2005 or 2005 and so anything can claim to be Dexron III, there is no check, unlike Dexron VI.

BUT THEN THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS BLACK AND WHITE, WE HAVE GOT GREY SO READ THE FOLLOWING AS WELL!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3090111 Particularly 04SE's comments and jadnhm's as well

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3014880#Post3014880

Hope I have been useful!

SHAMELESS PLUG - I can get the fluid for you within the month if you so desire!

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for all your inputs. Its not an easy decision for me at all. More inputs please. Siena, Gazzuzz etc, where art thou?
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:34am On Jan 12, 2015
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Kashif(m): 6:40am On Jan 12, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

A car is a major investment, if the vehicle breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, the expense and inconvenience can be high. You asked a good question, so that your decision will be rational. So I am going to see if I can help you lay the facts and help you come to a conclusion!
When was your vehicle manufactured?
What was the applicable Dexron standard then?
If your vehicle were manufactured today, would the manufacturer uses an outdated/withdrawn Dexron standard (assuming it did not join the bandwagon of creating its own fluid for its own type of car)?
What is the meaning of backward-compatible?
If you needed to replace an ECM would you get the old part (which has the same part number as the failed part) or the updated part (which has an incremented part no)?
Anywhere, this is the most authoritative source I can point to http://www.archivedsites.com/techlink/2009/05/
Just remember that the licenses for Dexron III were withdrawn as far back as 2005 or 2005 and so anything can claim to be Dexron III, there is no check, unlike Dexron VI.
BUT THEN THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS BLACK AND WHITE, WE HAVE GOT GREY SO READ THE FOLLOWING AS WELL!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3090111 Particularly 04SE's comments and jadnhm's as well
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3014880#Post3014880
Hope I have been useful!
SHAMELESS PLUG - I can get the fluid for you within the month if you so desire!

Go with this.
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 12, 2015
You don't state what your vehicle is, or it's year of manufacture.

However...if it was built after August 2004 (as I suspect it was) I would go with Dexron IV. Dexron III is old hat, I can't remember when last I used it in any of my customer's vehicles. That is Volkswagen Golf III era, and even with those, I use Dexron IV. The old Dexron III does NOT aid heat transfer as well as is ideal, and excessive heat is one of the most common causes of failure.

If Dexron III is all you can find (and you can vouch for it's authenticity, then by all means use it. But I personally would use something way more advanced. Someone here has even offered his assistance in procuring Dexron IV. I would seriously consider taking him up on his offer.

It's your call!
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 12, 2015
Siena:
You don't state what your vehicle is, or it's year of manufacture.

However...if it was built after August 2004 (as I suspect it was) I would go with Dexron IV. Dexron III is old hat, I can't remember when last I used it in any of my customer's vehicles. That is Volkswagen Golf III era, and even with those, I use Dexron IV. The old Dexron III does NOT aid heat transfer as well as is ideal, and excessive heat is one of the most common causes of failure.

If Dexron III is all you can find (and you can vouch for it's authenticity, then by all means use it. But I personally would use something way more advanced. Someone here has even offered his assistance in procuring Dexron IV. I would seriously consider taking him up on his offer.

It's your call!
thanks for helping out. Its a 2000 Toyota sienna, 1MZ-FE, 3.0Litre, v6.
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2015
chiebube:

thanks for helping out. Its a 2000 Toyota sienna, 1MZ-FE, 3.0Litre, v6.

It'll be fine with Dexron IV.
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by dano123: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2015
Try dis.

Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by sultaan(m): 10:09pm On Jan 12, 2015
dano123:
Try dis.

Dex VI might still be better than that.I will not recommend you use those Nigerian labelled Dex III they are not certified.
Basically nobody knows what is in there its possible they are good but no one is checking the manufacturer if they still meet the spec.
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:46am On Jan 13, 2015
sultaan:

Dex VI might still be better than that.I will not recommend you use those Nigerian labelled Dex III they are not certified.
Basically nobody knows what is in there its possible they are good but no one is checking the manufacturer if they still meet the spec.

Dexron VI appears to be superior to T-IV, the OP in the link I am posting had the same or a very similar question answered, see this link and decide which way to go

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/im-pulling-my-hair-out-t-iv-or-dexron-atf.357662/
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:04pm On Jan 14, 2015
Mobil 3309 Datasheet
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Toyota Type T-IV Datasheet
http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/ATF_-_TOYOTA_TYPE_T-IV__00279-000T4_&_00279-000T4-01.pdf

Mobil Dexron VI Datasheet
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Dexron-VI_ATF.aspx

Basically if you want to go the Toyota T-IV route, then Mobil 3309 is an equivalent not Dexron III.

But if your vehicle specified Dexron III not Toyota T-IV, then going Dexron VI seems the most appropriate choice given all the issues discussed above.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=762013
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2015
Please note it is not exactly correct to say that Type IV and Dexron III are interchangeable, because Type IV is a highly friction modified fluid that plain Dexron III is not.

I wonder why on earth one should punish a transmission that was built to run Dexron III or its equivalents ( read that to mean Dexron VI) with Toyota Type IV. I don't think it is wise. Personally i don't recommend it and I would not do it.

If your transmission dipstick reads Type IV then it means you are using an Aisin Warner transmissions which is a bit selective as far as ATF is concerned , so you must stick to Type IV or its equivalents like Mobil 3309 or AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, but if it says Dexron III, then GM has made it pretty clear and even Toyota cannot contradict the fact that you can and should use use Dexron VI which is a much better fluid than Type IV or even Dexron III.

Please note that Type IV is not synthetic, it is conventional so please shorten the drain intervals if you want the transmission to last long, and if decide to use Dexron III when it specifies Type IV be ready for transmission slipping, and the expense of changing the transmission sooner than later

Quote with modifications: "If you fill one of these Aisin Warner transmissions in your Toyota Sienna with any other ATF than Type IV, you will need a replacement transmission within 5000 to 6000 miles, but this does not apply to a Sienna that specifies Dexron III? I seriously doubt it!"
See my source: www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=723

Indeed here is proof that Toyota has been known to specify two types of fluid for the same transmission not just in the Sienna:
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1217344

What this tells you is that should you ever need to do a transmission transplant take note of what is written on the dipstick so you don't exchange or replace the wrong transmission for your application! And if you do, then change the sort of ATF you use immediately thereafter
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by nurey(m): 8:11am On Jan 15, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Please note it is not exactly correct to say that Type IV and Dexron III are interchangeable, because Type IV is a highly friction modified fluid that plain Dexron III is not.

I wonder why on earth one should punish a transmission that was built to run Dexron III or its equivalents ( read that to mean Dexron VI) with Toyota Type IV. I don't think it is wise. Personally i don't recommend it and I would not do it.

If your transmission dipstick reads Type IV then it means you are using an Aisin Warner transmissions which is a bit selective as far as ATF is concerned , so you must stick to Type IV or its equivalents like Mobil 3309 or AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, but if it says Dexron III, then GM has made it pretty clear and even Toyota cannot contradict the fact that you can and should use use Dexron VI which is a much better fluid than Type IV or even Dexron III.

Please note that Type IV is not synthetic, it is conventional so please shorten the drain intervals if you want the transmission to last long, and if decide to use Dexron III when it specifies Type IV be ready for transmission slipping, and the expense of changing the transmission sooner than later

Quote with modifications: "If you fill one of these Aisin Warner transmissions in your Toyota Sienna with any other ATF than Type IV, you will need a replacement transmission within 5000 to 6000 miles, but this does not apply to a Sienna that specifies Dexron III? I seriously doubt it!"
See my source: www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=723

Indeed here is proof that Toyota has been known to specify two types of fluid for the same transmission not just in the Sienna:
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1217344

What this tells you is that should you ever need to do a transmission transplant take note of what is written on the dipstick so you don't exchange or replace the wrong transmission for your application! And if you do, then change the sort of ATF you use immediately thereafter

Do you mean we can interchange Dextron III with Dextron VI or is it Dextron IV
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:49am On Jan 15, 2015
nurey:

Do you mean we can interchange Dextron III with Dextron VI or is it Dextron IV

Yes, You can use Dexron VI in place of Dexron III.

Dexron VI was such an improvement that GM skipped IV, V and went straight to VI

You can confirm for yourself in several places online including Wikipedia

This year will make Dexron VI ten years old, from all the discussion on this topic both on and off this thread around about nairaland, I can see why transmissions don't live long in Nigeria
Re: Advice: Toyota Transmission Fluids (modified) by nurey(m): 9:40am On Jan 15, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Yes, You can use Dexron VI in place of Dexron III.

Dexron VI was such an improvement that GM skipped IV, V and went straight to VI

You can confirm for yourself in several places online including Wikipedia

This year will make Dexron VI ten years old, from all the discussion on this topic both on and off this thread around about nairaland, I can see why transmissions don't live long in Nigeria

Sorry about the confussion thought you meant to write dextron IV but my research online gave dextron VI, also I found out that the continuation of Dextron III was dex/merc and people with same car model and year either used Dextron VI or dex/merc but they never used toyota Type T-IV and my assumption was right on the first generation toyota sienna (1998-2003), the recommended ATF is dextron III not the toyota type T-IV

(1) (Reply)

Mitsubishi Recalls 368,000 Vehicles As They Constitute Major Hazards / Suzuki Vitara N Nissan Tino, Help Me Out Pls / Bmw X6 2007 Vs Hyundai Sante Fe 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.