Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,929 members, 7,872,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:16 AM

Manchester United On Alert Over Future Of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Manchester United On Alert Over Future Of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi (431 Views)

Ibrahimovic And Rooney In Suspense Over Future Of Strikers / Club Offers £420.5million For Barcelona’s Lionel Messi / Lionel Messi Quits Argentina National After Copa Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Manchester United On Alert Over Future Of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi by vicostyles(m): 9:51am On Jan 13, 2015
Lionel Messi has alerted Manchester United to his potential availability by casting doubt over his future at Barcelona, with the Argentina forward admitting he does not know where he will be playing next year.

United are the only English club that could afford to buy Messi, particularly if Barcelona were to demand his €250m (£195m) buyout fee in one payment, which would be likely.

Although Manchester City have explored bringing the 27-year-old from Barcelona and retain an interest in him, Uefa’s financial fair play rules mean the champions would struggle to generate enough revenue and have the requisite cash reserves to buy the four-times world player of the year.

This is not the case at United, where Louis van Gaal has been assured there is no limit on the transfer budget. Ed Woodward, the executive vice-chairman, stated in July: “Whether it’s a [world] record or not doesn’t really resonate with us. What resonates is an elite player that the manager wants who is going to be a star for Manchester United.”

Alongside the buyout clause is Messi’s five-year contract, agreed last May, worth £16.3m a season. When this salary is factored in, the total cost of any deal for his transfer would be in the region of an eye-watering £275m.

Real Madrid are the only club who appear able to rival United’s financial muscle – Paris Saint-Germain would also have the restrictions of FFP to consider – but it seems inconceivable Messi would end up at Barcelona’s fiercest rival.

Messi was asked in Zurich before the Ballon d’Or ceremony, at which he finished second to Cristiano Ronaldo, whether he would be interested in playing at another club, having also turned out, as a youth, for Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina. “I am not sure If I will go back to Newell’s Old Boys one day,” he said. “I am not sure where I will be next year. I have always said that I will end my career at Barcelona but as Cristiano said: ‘Only God knows the future.’ Things in football can change overnight.”
United’s record £750m, 10-year kit deal with Adidas starts next season, meaning the club can expect £75m a season from that contract alone. With Woodward continuing to expand the club’s portfolio of major sponsors and the fanbase claimed at 659 million around the world, United would be confident that Messi’s signing would be financially successful.
Messi’s comment came hours after he said it was “lies” that there had been conversations between his representatives and City and Chelsea. Speaking after a 3-1 win over Atlético Madrid, in which he scored the final goal, Messi told Barça TV: “I don’t demand anything for me to stay because I have no intention of leaving anywhere. I’ve heard stories I’ve spoken to Chelsea or City, that’s all lies.”

Lionel Messi helps Barcelona unite to avert a crisis … for now
Read more
The comments came in an attempt to quell speculation of a rift with Luis Enrique, the manager, following a turbulent week in which Messi was on the bench as Barça lost to Real Sociedad and during which Andoni Zubizarreta, the sporting director, was sacked.

Van Gaal was expected to have held talks with Radamel Falcao on Monday after he dropped the striker from United’s 1-0 defeat to Southampton at Old Trafford.
The Colombian was informed he was not in the matchday squad just before the kick-off, Van Gaal deciding he wanted only one striker on the bench and that this should be 19-year-old James Wilson, owing to his pace.
The future of Falcao, who is on a season-long loan at a total cost of £16m, is in the balance.
A move to sign the striker on a permanent contract from Monaco would cost around £43m.Falcao may have a route back into the squad if Robin van Persie’s ankle problem proves serious enough to rule him out of United’s trip to play Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Source:http://sportpredictioncenter..com/2015/01/manchester-united-on-alert-over-future.html
You can also check us out for your bet predictions wink cool

(1) (Reply)

Arteta And Debuchy Ruled Out For Three Months *new* / Photos: Samuel Eto Signs New Contract With U.C. Sampdoria / Figo Obtains Necessary Backing To Challenge Blatter For FIFA Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.