Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,252 members, 7,887,727 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:56 PM

Is Jesus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jesus (1219 Views)

Is Jesus Really God? / Is Jesus Relevant In Our Day? / Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Jesus by VeriLee: 8:15pm On Dec 19, 2008
the God of the Old Testament?
Re: Is Jesus by huxley(m): 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2008
The Christian believe he is the very same god who take pride is punishing children for the sins of their parents and grandparents and great grandparents, as in Exodus 34;

And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t005.html
http://www.christiananswers.net/kids/ednk-jesusgodorman.html
Re: Is Jesus by Dios(f): 9:15pm On Dec 19, 2008
No, that's his daddy. grin
Re: Is Jesus by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 19, 2008
The God of the old testament manifested Himself in the new testament in Jesus. God created a body in the womb of mary and put all his attributes in that body. That body is called Lord Jesus Christ- a name that belongs to God. So Jesus is God because God dwells inside of Him. col 2:9, 1 Tim 3 :16
Re: Is Jesus by bindex(m): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2008
Troynow:

The God of the old testament manifested Himself in the new testament in Jesus. God created a body in the womb of mary and put all his attributes in that body. That body is called Lord Jesus Christ- a name that belongs to God. So Jesus is God because God dwells inside of Him. col 2:9, 1 Tim 3 :16

Nigerians and quoting? do you know what you are talking about? your post says you obviously do not. Must you keep using words to make sense out of nonsense?
Re: Is Jesus by huxley(m): 3:30am On Dec 20, 2008
Barbarism is in the blood of the gods
Re: Is Jesus by Bastage: 12:03pm On Dec 20, 2008
If you are a believer in the Old Testament as a lead up to Christianity, then yes - Jesus is the God of the OT. Christians will always tell you that God and Jesus are one and that they are indistinguishable.

When you look at what the OT god got up to it kind of screws up the theory that Jesus was a loving and compassionate guy don't you think?
In fact it makes Jesus look like a complete and utter hypocrite who doesn't practice what he preaches.

But it's not all doom and gloom. When you study history and look at how things worked back then, you can see that the OT and the NT are two different books with many different gods in them. The OT has no relevance to the NT other than to sell the religion of Christianity to those who wanted to make the crossover between old and new.
Re: Is Jesus by LadyT(f): 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2008
NO!

*rolls eyes*
Re: Is Jesus by Dios(f): 12:33pm On Dec 20, 2008
Bastage:

If you are a believer in the Old Testament as a lead up to Christianity, then yes - Jesus is the God of the OT. Christians will always tell you that God and Jesus are one and that they are indistinguishable.

When you look at what the OT god got up to it kind of screws up the theory that Jesus was a loving and compassionate guy don't you think?
In fact it makes Jesus look like a complete and utter hypocrite who doesn't practice what he preaches.

But it's not all doom and gloom. When you study history and look at how things worked back then, you can see that the OT and the NT are two different books with many different gods in them. The OT has no relevance to the NT other than to sell the religion of Christianity to those who wanted to make the crossover between old and new.

Classic!!! grin grin

LadyT:

NO!

*rolls eyes*

The guy is telling the truth, why you say no?
Re: Is Jesus by bindex(m): 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2008
Dios:

Classic!!! grin grin

Very Classic

The guy is telling the truth, why you say no?

Do you want her to say yes? Remember go and read your bible. grin
Re: Is Jesus by Nimshi: 5:39am On Dec 21, 2008
The one recent book I recall that's dealth with this topic is Jack Miles' "Christ: A Crisis in the Life of God". It's an apt title: Jesus the Christ represents a major crisis in the career of the Hebrew God. A few passages from the Old Testament, and Jesus' rather easy-going attitude could convince you. Or you could take the OT Hebrew God who would allow Satan into the heavenly court, joining a rocession of the angels, with Jesus who would castigate God's angelic 'son', in harsh times. The evidence points to a reworking of history to fit set patterns; the difference between Jesus the Christ and the OT Hebrew God is as clear as night and day in the tropics.
Re: Is Jesus by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:32am On Dec 21, 2008
The old testament is the biggest crack in modern day christianity's foundation. Its so glaring that they are not one and the same.
Re: Is Jesus by Kuns: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2008
No , Jesus is not the God of the Old testament.

There are many Gods in the old testment, there is God, Lord God, God of the earth, god of the Heaven, the Most high god. These are all different personalities , and this is what the bible fails to show in its revised and re-edit from languages state it is in today.

The story of Genesis were re-edited and re-revised from the Enuma Elish and GIlgamesh Epic. These tablets of stone predate the bible by over 50,000 thousand years.

So instead of giving the character i.e. Enki (Enqi) they'll God of the earth, Enlil (God of the sky).

You can find Anu as the Most HIgh God Genesis 14: 18.

The problem is that our people are trapped within 6,000 thousand, some 2000 thousand years, when the stories that make up the bible i.e Sumerian text etc, etc goes back over 50, 000 thousand years.

Another problem we have as a nation is that the people do not study or read anything out of Christianity.

They get freak out when someone comes and tells them stuff on how the bible was plagarised from ancient text.

The only people with this problem is Africans , white people they lied to create the bible. In forums where religion or egyptology is discussed theywhite people run away when they come across the black intellectuals , but the african (slave mind) will still be arguing , they want the belief to be real , they cannot or believe their slave masters lied to them. It's sad.
Re: Is Jesus by huxley(m): 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2008
The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59)

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me. And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)

See the following websites for the Jesus-God theology:

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t005.html
http://www.christiananswers.net/kids/ednk-jesusgodorman.html
Re: Is Jesus by Kuns: 1:23pm On Dec 26, 2008
Matthew 16: 20

Jesus never claimed to be God (Lord) or Christ.

"Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ."

Who are these people going around saying Jesus is christ.

Jesus said don't do it.

And he didn't stop there, see Matthew 24: 5 and I quote "For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many."

What are people who go around in Jesus Name today called?

Who are those people who go around in Jesus Name, what do they call themselves?

Christians? Who? Christians, going around in Jesus Name saying Jesus is Lord and Christ and this and that.

Yashua Pantera (aka Jesus) warned about YOU, saying you will deceive many, by telling them Jesus is Christ.

Jesus is not Christ, lord or God.
Re: Is Jesus by Horus(m): 2:53pm On Dec 26, 2008
Is Jesus the One God?.Many Christians believe that Yashu’a (aka Jesus) is the one, absolute God. According to the Old Testament, New Testament and the Koran, Yashu’a himself never said that he was the only God, which the Greek version of the Bible called Thehos meaning “God, Diety” and in Aramic (Hebrew) of the Torah we see Yahweh meaning “an Eloheem,” as well as a host of other names.
Re: Is Jesus by Jairzinho(m): 10:06pm On Dec 26, 2008
Kuns & fellow Egyptologists:
Kuns:

Another problem we have as a nation is that the people do not study or read anything out of Christianity.

While I agree that most Christians need to research and meditate/learn more and take time to study their core beliefs,

I disagree with most of your assertions on the man Jesus(or YEOSHUA). Most of your posts assumes that Jesus's name was not commonly used back then,hence someone in another thread mixing Jesus Christ of Nazareth with 'bar-Jesus' and some others. A brief intro on the name 'Jesus':

The fact is that many people shared the name. Christ's given name, commonly Romanized as Yeshua, was quite common in first-century Galilee. (Jesus comes from the transliteration of Yeshua or Jeshua into Greek and then English.) Archaeologists have unearthed the tombs of 71 Yeshuas from the period of Jesus' death. The name also appears 30 times in the Old Testament in reference to four separate characters—including a descendent of Aaron who helped to distribute offerings of grain (2 Chronicles 31:15) and a man who accompanied former captives of Nebuchadnezzar back to Jerusalem (Ezra 2:2).

The long version of the name, Yehoshua(or YASHUA according to Kuns ,Bastage) appears another few hundred times, referring most notably - JOSHUA (recall the TB Joshua vs Chris Okotie saga)

The reason we call Jesus -Jesus and not Yehoshua or Joshua is because the New Testament was originally written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic.

Greeks did not use the sound sh, so the evangelists substituted an S sound. Then, to make it a masculine name, they added another S sound at the end. The earliest written version of the name Jesus is Romanized today as Iesous. (Remember the crucifix inscription INRI: "Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum," or "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews."wink

The 'J' probably came in during later translation to English,because the 1611 King James Bible refers to Jesus as "Iesus" and his father as "Ioseph."

Kuns:

Matthew 16: 20

Jesus never claimed to be God (Lord) or Christ.

"Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ."

Who are these people going around saying Jesus is christ.

Jesus said don't do it.

Your abridged quote here is at best 'mischievious'  grin:
Full text below(Matt 16: from 15-smiley

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 14:6,clearly states His mission on earth & he IS the Son of the Living God as revealed to Simon Peter in the above text.

Kuns:

The problem is that our people are trapped within 6,000 thousand, some 2000 thousand years, when the stories that make up the bible i.e Sumerian text etc, etc goes back over 50, 000 thousand years.

They get freak out when someone comes and tells them stuff on how the bible was plagarised from ancient text.

The only people with this problem is Africans , white people they lied to create the bible. In forums where religion or egyptology is discussed theywhite people run away when they come across the black intellectuals , but the african (slave mind) will still be arguing , they want the belief to be real , they cannot or believe their slave masters lied to them. It's sad.

The 'problem' with Nigerian/African pentecostals is that we have moved from the realm of how,where and why of the written texts you are so passionate about ( logos), into RHEMA - a much spiritual realm of the Word of God, whether you believe it or not we are in the era of the Holy Spirit.

Where current issues are being addressed on a minute by minute basis ,Heb 4: 12 explains this succintly

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Its just like someone bothering to insist on telling you about how the computer started through the US dept of defence in 1950s; blah, blah,blah - tell me how releveant is that in the era of Windows Vista,iPhone,www? So rather than dwell extensively on Sumerian texts,Egyptology,Horus & Tut(I recently visited Egypt myself  wink),the question you should ask is IS THIS GOD working right now in the lives on MEN

I await more enlightenment from your ancient Egyptian texts  cheesy
Re: Is Jesus by Kuns: 12:22pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Jairzinho

What is your question?

Are you the same Jairzinho from Swiss Cottage (London)?

Anyway,

There is no where in the bible where Jesus told anyone to run around calling him God or Christ.
Remember, Jesus also called Peter Satan. So Jairzinho, please stay focus on what Jesus himself was saying and not peter.

Iam not into arguement, so don't believe me, go and check it out for yourself. Don't come here and argue without checking things out first. That's what believers do, and to ignore the facts is ignorance.

Jazzy, I know you are an intelligent person, I know it. So check things out properly first.

As a matter of fact Yashua (Jeshua) is the name of several Yisraeliy (Israelites)h (1 Chronicle 24: 11; 2 Chronicle 31: 15; Ezra 2:2, 3:9; Nehemiah 3:19; 8:17). A very common name.

In the Aramic Hebrew the name Yashu'a (Jesus) is derived from the Name Yehowshu'a (Joshua). The name Yehowshu'a comes from the root word Yasha, "to deliver" "To bring to salvation". This was a common name amongst the  the Yisraeliy. So don't let anybody fool you think it was special and that it belonged to Jesus only.
Re: Is Jesus by kolaoloye(m): 1:13pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Verilee,
NO,Jesus is not the God of the old testament. He (Jesus) is the Christ (the redeemer).
Re: Is Jesus by Kuns: 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2008
@Kola
Please stop lying

Jesus never told anyone to go around saying he was the Christ.

See what Jesus himself said about the matter in Matthew 16 :20 and I quote "Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. "

Now Mr Kola Oloye which part of this don't you understand.

@Kola Oloye

What does charged mean?

I await you reply and just the facts please.
Re: Is Jesus by Horus(m): 1:28pm On Dec 27, 2008
Jairzinho:

Kuns & fellow Egyptologists:
While I agree that most Christians need to research and meditate/learn more and take time to study their core beliefs,

I disagree with most of your assertions on the man Jesus(or YEOSHUA). Most of your posts assumes that Jesus's name was not commonly used back then,hence someone in another thread mixing Jesus Christ of Nazareth with 'bar-Jesus' and some others. A brief intro on the name 'Jesus':

The fact is that many people shared the name. Christ's given name, commonly Romanized as Yeshua, was quite common in first-century Galilee. (Jesus comes from the transliteration of Yeshua or Jeshua into Greek and then English.) Archaeologists have unearthed the tombs of 71 Yeshuas from the period of Jesus' death. The name also appears 30 times in the Old Testament in reference to four separate characters—including a descendent of Aaron who helped to distribute offerings of grain (2 Chronicles 31:15) and a man who accompanied former captives of Nebuchadnezzar back to Jerusalem (Ezra 2:2).

The long version of the name, Yehoshua(or YASHUA according to Kuns ,Bastage) appears another few hundred times, referring most notably - JOSHUA (recall the TB Joshua vs Chris Okotie saga)

The reason we call Jesus -Jesus and not Yehoshua or Joshua is because the New Testament was originally written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic.

Greeks did not use the sound sh, so the evangelists substituted an S sound. Then, to make it a masculine name, they added another S sound at the end. The earliest written version of the name Jesus is Romanized today as Iesous. (Remember the crucifix inscription INRI: "Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum," or "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews."wink

The 'J' probably came in during later translation to English,because the 1611 King James Bible refers to Jesus as "Iesus" and his father as "Ioseph."

Ask the Christians, if there was no[b] “J”[/b] sound in the English language before 1565 A.D., how was Jesus pronounced?
Re: Is Jesus by Jairzinho(m): 4:18pm On Dec 27, 2008
Kuns:

@Jairzinho

What is your question?

Are you the same Jairzinho from Swiss Cottage (London)?

Anyway,

There is no where in the bible where Jesus told anyone to run around calling him God or Christ.
Remember, Jesus also called Peter Satan. So Jairzinho, please stay focus on what Jesus himself was saying and not peter.

Iam not into arguement, so don't believe me, go and check it out for yourself. Don't come here and argue without checking things out first. That's what believers do, and to ignore the facts is ignorance.

Jazzy, I know you are an intelligent person, I know it. So check things out properly first.

As a matter of fact Yashua (Jeshua) is the name of several Yisraeliy (Israelites)h (1 Chronicle 24: 11; 2 Chronicle 31: 15; Ezra 2:2, 3:9; Nehemiah 3:19; 8:17). A very common name.

In the Aramic Hebrew the name Yashu'a (Jesus) is derived from the Name Yehowshu'a (Joshua). The name Yehowshu'a comes from the root word Yasha, "to deliver" "To bring to salvation". This was a common name amongst the  the Yisraeliy. So don't let anybody fool you think it was special and that it belonged to Jesus only.

No I'm not the same person you know.

However the impression I got from your 'egytology' posts was that you had some concrete new info for us.

The best way to disagree with people is to tear their submissions into pieces. You're not doing this,but just repeating the same 'go and read it' etc.

Mark 16:15 is quite clear on what Christ asked christians to do !
Re: Is Jesus by Jairzinho(m): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2008
Horus:

Ask the Christians, if there was no[b] “J”[/b] sound in the English language before 1565 A.D., how was Jesus pronounced?
Horus,please read what I had written before. His name was written & pronounced as Ieosus(or Iesus)remember INRI on the cross?

Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum," or "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews."
Re: Is Jesus by Kuns: 2:49am On Dec 28, 2008
@Jazzy

The guy was evading the question, like it wasn't clear what the bible was saying.

I had to point this out again, not to you, but to kola oloye, who was trying to pretend like he can't see where Jesus charged his disciples to tell no man that he was the christ.

@Horus

Yes, I agree. Their was no letter "J" in the English language until the 16th century. So his name could not of been called Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

c / Celestial Is The Secret Heart Of Jesus Christ (shj) / Barbaric Saudis Behead 3 Northern Nigerians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.