Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,619 members, 7,941,378 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 04:54 AM

Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media (719 Views)

Oyegun Is Being Controlled By Some Forces – Timi Frank / No Casualty From Jos Controlled Bomb Explosion / APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media by abdnMe: 12:05pm On Jan 16, 2015
I happened to read someone's (from what I gather the person's not even Nigerian/African) article on bombings in Nigeria and the person raised an interesting question -why are the media (foreign especially) so keen to advertise boko haram and "suicide bombers" in Nigeria?

Indeed, recent eyewitness accounts point towards bombs strapped to people being remotely detonated by someone else close by in the area having just the right imported technology and technical know-how.

Source: http://www.100percentfedup.com/news/3176-10-year-old-girls-forced-to-strap-remote-controlled-bombs-to-their-bodies-are-used-as-human-weapons

The Nigerian ambassador to the U.S. will be honoring Michelle Obama this week, as well as former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, even though Obama failed in her campaign to free the kidnapped Nigerian girls.

For some reason the media keeps calling the girls suicide bombers when it is obvious they have been forced to be human bombs.

There is at least one eyewitness report the bombs are being remotely detonated.

“But the young ages of some — such as the girl in Maiduguri — and the actions of a 15-year-old who was one of Sunday’s bombers in Potiskum, strongly suggest coercion.

“A civilian vigilante who witnessed the Maiduguri bombing said of the girl: “I doubt if she actually knew what was strapped to her body.”

“Another eye-witness said it appeared that the bomb was remote-controlled, which chimes with testimony from other attacks across the wider north of Nigeria.

“In Potiskum, a security official involved in the rescue operation said: “The second bomber was terrified by the explosion and she tried to dash across the road but she also exploded.”

True enough a lot of the media report these incidents as involving young "suicide bombers" i.e. people willingly killing themselves.
A Google search reveals for instance, the BBC's original report on the recent Potiskum bombings:

https://www.google.com.ng/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bbc+nigeria+violence

BBC News - Nigeria violence: Female suicide bombers hit ...

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30772028
4 days ago - Two female suicide bombers blow themselves up at a crowded market in north-east Nigeria, killing at least four other people and injuring ...

I watched BBC on TV earlier this week and they reported exactly the same thing that "female suicide bombers blew themselves up".

After complaints started spreading around the Internet, the BBC apparently updated its report. Now what they say is:

Two female suicide bombers struck a crowded market in north-east Nigeria on Sunday, killing at least four other people and injuring dozens....

A security official told AFP news agency that it appeared the bombs had been remote-controlled.

"The second bomber was terrified by the explosion and she tried to dash across the road but she also exploded," he said

Other media outlets have also been now cautiously reporting:

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/twin-blasts-market-potiskum-ne-nigeria-residents-172536455.html

A civilian vigilante who witnessed the Maiduguri bombing said of the girl: "I doubt if she actually knew what was strapped to her body."

Another eye-witness said it appeared that the bomb was remote-controlled, which chimes with testimony from other attacks across the wider north of Nigeria.

In Potiskum, a security official involved in the rescue operation said: "The second bomber was terrified by the explosion and she tried to dash across the road but she also exploded."

It can be difficult to get a clear picture of what is going on in areas of conflict in Nigeria, but I believe it would be better to take foreign news with a pinch of salt because they just want to cater mainly to audiences in their home countries so they know they are better than everyone else around the world.

If these bombs are actually set off remotely by someone else wielding the controls then a good start to combating these hired bh hitmen is to find ways of detecting and even neutralizing such controls - given our defense budget the necessary technology shouldn't be hard to obtain.
Re: Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media by abdnMe: 10:54pm On Jan 16, 2015
With elections around the corner, some countries are now interested in offering Nigeria security deals.
Re: Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media by sankky: 1:21am On Jan 17, 2015
The technology to fry the cells of the remote control button is easily available. I also believe it can be used to triangulate and trace the source of the remote signal. some types are even used by some VIP convoys in Nigeria. but i guess for them, its too good to be used in protecting ordinary "worthless" Nigerians.
That's why we must vote wisely

Re: Nigeria's Remote-controlled Bomb(er)s And The Media by abdnMe: 9:41am On Jan 18, 2015
The technology to fry the cells of the remote control button is easily available. I also believe it can be used to triangulate and trace the source of the remote signal. some types are even used by some VIP convoys in Nigeria. but i guess for them, its too good to be used in protecting ordinary "worthless" Nigerians.
That's why we must vote wisely

Even simple use of security cameras will prevent a lot of these attacks on innocent people.

(1) (Reply)

Apc Vs Pdp / Must Read Plane Crash Joke / Why I Will Vote GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.