Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,339 members, 7,913,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 12:39 PM

Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis (701 Views)

Those Attacking Me Now Kept Quiet When El-rufai Tweeted Hate Speech - Suleiman / Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / I’ll Punch Anyone Who Insults My Mother – Pope Francis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 16, 2015
Pope Francis has defended freedom of expression following last week's attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo - but also stressed its limits.
The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed.
To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother...

He staunchly defended freedom of expression, but then he said there were limits, especially when people mocked religion.
"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri [who organises the Pope's trips] speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched," he said, throwing a pretend punch at the doctor, who was standing beside him.
"You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit."

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30835625
Re: Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis by RedArrow: 2:57pm On Jan 16, 2015
good talk
Re: Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis by zubby29(m): 3:40pm On Jan 16, 2015
long live the pope.i denounce all form of terrorism,bt the west should allow d muslims a breathing space,d west should look inward for a cure of dis problem
Re: Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis by lastmessenger: 5:10pm On Jan 16, 2015
Is the pope saying that it was a good reaction for the boys to kill because of one carton of the so called prophet?
Re: Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 16, 2015
lastmessenger:
Is the pope saying that it was a good reaction for the boys to kill because of one carton of the so called prophet?

No. The Pope is against violence. But the pope is a wise man who knows that speaking ill of other people begets violence.

(1) (Reply)

Religious Stands On Gamling Christianity & Islam / End Time Is Here. The 666 Sign A Chip On The Hand Or Fore Head / The Medicine That Can Cure Every Form Of Sickness : 20 Days Routine Supplement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.