Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:16 AM

Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? (1727 Views)

What Happened To The Top Scoring Student In Your School? / What's The Most Memorable Thing That Happened To You In The University? / Of Dead Zain Africa Challenge And The Living Big Brother Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Xcely: 7:51pm On Jan 16, 2015
Though I'm now a graduate, I'm keen on knowing exactly why the Zain African Challenge was stopped entirely. It was a rare academic sensation that would have spurred thousands of Nigerian undergraduates (and graduates) to continuous, versatile learning. After seeing University of Ibadan perform at the premiere edition, I believed again in Nigeria's ability to dominate in higher education in Africa. Sadly, the program never aired after the 2010 edition.

I understand Airtel might not have been interested in sponsoring the program but couldn't other well financed MNCs take it up from there considering it was a superb initiative?
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by GrAnDwEeZ(m): 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2015
Luv dat program. Bin a fan b4 I gained admission. Seeing unilorin students dere. One of d reasons why I opted 4 d sku. .all we see now z music and dance talent hunt.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by YemziAdez(m): 8:11pm On Jan 16, 2015
Really missed that program also,I've always dreamt of participating.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 16, 2015
One of the reasons i sought for unilag's admission but we thank God for everything. Only a few fed unis perform in the challenge to rep Nigeria. I love the programme so much and i've also wondered why it's nt shown anymore.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by ucheheart(m): 8:23pm On Jan 16, 2015
When a company dies, its dreams and ideas also die with it. Most organisations wont patronise educational programs because they beleive education is more of human investment than capital investment thereby making it nonprofit oriented.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by dominique(f): 8:30pm On Jan 16, 2015
The program stopped airing when airtel acquired Zain. I used to look forward to each episide back then.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Xcely: 9:40pm On Jan 16, 2015
GrAnDwEeZ:
Luv dat program. Bin a fan b4 I gained admission. Seeing unilorin students dere. One of d reasons why I opted 4 d sku. .all we see now z music and dance talent hunt.
True, and it's disappointing to see how our preferences have changed (now talking of Nigeria) . Debaters and Dragons Den (or so it was called) have stopped airing as well. Hope WWTBAM doesn't go off - since that's the only meaningful, knowledge-adding, semi-collegiate show that's left.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Xcely: 9:53pm On Jan 16, 2015
LARRYDKING:
One of the reasons i sought for unilag's admission but we thank God for everything. Only a few fed unis perform in the challenge to rep Nigeria. I love the programme so much and i've also wondered why it's nt shown anymore.

Same with me.. I had that in mind while applying to CU back then. At the time, they weren't really active compared to their federal university counterparts, so I thought I could give it a shot. Those UI guys were just too good! Even though the 2010 team lost early on in the competition, I think they still had the potential to win. The game against UDS (UDS 690 - UI 620) was a fiasco not because Tolu was oblivious of the answers, but because he was milliseconds slower than the UDS guy
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Xcely: 10:15pm On Jan 16, 2015
ucheheart:
When a company dies, its dreams and ideas also die with it. Most organisations wont patronise educational programs because they beleive education is more of human investment than capital investment thereby making it nonprofit oriented.
You have a point here. However, I'd expect that in the same way sponsors and organizers of competitions (like the Scripps Spelling Bee) use their viewership to generate revenue through adverts, Big Brands like MTN could pick up the initiative and run with it. Virtually every knowledge - savvy undergraduate I knew then was a fan of the show, so viewership wouldn't be a problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Udochee(m): 11:08pm On Jan 16, 2015
Was also a big fan...unfortunately it just ended like that.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 17, 2015
Same thought.
YemziAdez:
Really missed that program also,I've always dreamt of participating.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Xcely: 11:45am On Jan 17, 2015
dominique:
The program stopped airing when airtel acquired Zain. I used to look forward to each episide back then.
Yeah, I know it was due to that development , I'm just surprised that no other brand has seen any promise in the show. Interestingly the annual interschool College of Science quiz at CU was modeled after the ZAC show . I remember the School of Engineering won in 2011 competition titled "Cerebro".
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2015
I wish another program like that can come up. sad

Anyone remembers Dragon's den? I use to look forward to each episode.

I don't even watch our local TV stations anymore. They have nothing much to offer apart from the numerous singing shows undecided
And GUS is oh so boring to me now.
Re: Whatever Happened To Zain African Challenge? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 17, 2015
Xcely:

You have a point here. However, I'd expect that in the same way sponsors and organizers of competitions (like the Scripps Spelling Bee) use their viewership to generate revenue through adverts, Big Brands like MTN could pick up the initiative and run with it. Virtually every knowledge - savvy undergraduate I knew then was a fan of the show, so viewership wouldn't be a problem.

You're right.
But all they are interested in is singing and comedy shows angry

(1) (Reply)

Convert These Questions To Pidgin English And Receive A Reward / HND Degree To Be Regarded As Bachelor Of Technology– JAMB / Education Is Good ( Hilarious PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.