Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,575 members, 7,905,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 08:18 AM

Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing (1616 Views)

Charlie Hebdo Mocks Africans Who Drown In The Mediterranean / Breaking News: BBC Admits Charlie Hebdo's Attack Was Faked / Why The North Is Not Responding To Charlie Hebdo Cartoons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Mavrick2012: 11:53pm On Jan 16, 2015
why is nairaland's front page so quiet about charlie hebdo's brohaha?
is it because of the negative impact it will have on Buhari's presidential aspiration? or?
Like our dear northern nigeria,which was always the first "muslim country" to comence mass protest against any form of blasphemy,is shying away due to the negative impact it potent's to buhari's candidacy,
my dear nairaland is avoiding a popular event
oh!,suddenly my dear nairaland,which doesnot shy away from popular news,

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by BlackTechnology: 12:09am On Jan 17, 2015
If na you nko grin
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by moderatorr1: 12:11am On Jan 17, 2015
all the unfolding events are not hitting front page. Today Belgium captured 24 terrorists
preparing to strike.
Niaraland just kept mute.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Ploy(m): 12:13am On Jan 17, 2015
Charlie isn't a Nigerian and his case shouldn't be given undue media attention here because of the sensitivity of the case. We already have extremist, we shouldn't multiply em

But those people bad oh, hang all the journalists?.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Eziachi: 12:19am On Jan 17, 2015
Mavrick2012:
is it because of the negative impact it will have on Buhari's presidential aspiration? or?
Like our dear northern nigeria,which was always the first "muslim country" to comence mass protest against any form of blasphemy,is shying away due to the negative impact it potent's to buhari's candidacy,
Just like Jonathan consoling the French people about the death of 12 people but kept mute about thousands in his own country.
Why bothered with Charlie Hebdo when you are saddled with Baga, Potiskum, Biu and Chibok? And it's growing by the day.
By the way, you made a mistake. It's double standard and not double standing.

7 Likes

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Eziachi: 12:20am On Jan 17, 2015
moderatorr1:
all the unfolding events are not hitting front page. Today Belgium captured 24 terrorists
preparing to strike.
Niaraland just kept mute.
How many Belgians are talking about Baga? In your own words Belgium captured terrorist preparing to strike but in Nigeria it's the terrorists that does the capturing and mounting their flag.
Are sure you really want to talk about Belgium and France? Because talking about how decisive they had been this week doesn't do fumbling Jonathan any favours because when Boko Haram started he called them his siblings.

1 Like

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by eposho: 12:21am On Jan 17, 2015
Y don't I leave Charlie Abdul alone.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by knightsTempler: 12:31am On Jan 17, 2015

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by nzeadachie: 12:52am On Jan 17, 2015
HAHAHAHA

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 3:54am On Jan 17, 2015
[url=Mavrick2012]OP[/url] you've said it yourself and multiple times in your post. The word "nairaland", it means this is a site for Nigerian news and happenings. If we were to mention about Charlie Hebdo or Belgian terrorists they'd've to rename it "Franc-land" or "Euro-land".

It is because of the name you only see recurrent news on GMB and GEJ litter the frontpage daily even when they're blatant lies and/or propaganda.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Horus(m): 3:58am On Jan 17, 2015
[size=19pt]Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan Criticized For Boko Haram Response[/size]

Nigeria's president was among leaders who condemned last week's attack by Islamic extremists on the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, yet his response to the slaughter of civilians by militants in his own country has been muted.

Some commentators criticized President Goodluck Jonathan's reticence about the violence in Nigeria's Baga town, and the lack of a broader international outcry on par with the reaction to the attacks in France. The slogan "I am Baga" — a play on "I am Charlie," the expression of solidarity with the targeted French weekly — is now circulating on social media.

The global sympathy and the defiant rally in Paris that drew foreign leaders after the assaults that killed 17 people overshadowed the killing of hundreds and perhaps as many as 2,000 people in Baga, a northeastern town near Chad.

Jonathan, who has been touting his domestic record ahead of a re-election bid next month, was quick to express solidarity with France.

"The President believes that the cowardly and ignoble attack by violent extremists is a monstrous assault on the right to freedom of expression," said a statement by his office the day after the attacks in France.

It did not release a similarly forceful statement about Baga. The attack there started on Jan. 3 and was another bloody marker in a murky, grinding conflict in which information is often scarce, the insurgency is seen by many as a local problem and violence is routine.

The United Nations, the United States and other countries have condemned the violence by Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, and international aid groups are mobilizing to help survivors.

On Monday, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf expressed some exasperation with the comparatively little interest in Nigeria's killings after taking a barrage of questions from media about the weekend rally in Paris.

"I would like to see how many minutes we spend on Boko Haram compared to a march," Harf told the State Department press corps. "I just want to point that out to people."

The difference between the reactions to the bloodshed in Paris and in Baga also is related to the broader context, experts say.

The Paris shootings, whose victims included prominent cartoonists, had an enormous impact beyond France's borders because they were seen as an assault on "fundamental liberty" and an "existential attack on all of Europe," said Michael Jennings, a senior lecturer in international development at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.

The violence in Nigeria, however, does not capture similar attention because it "is often presented as part of the ongoing history of violence between communities," Jennings said.

Muna Ndulo, a law professor and African development expert at Cornell University in the United States, noted that whereas in Paris the media presence was heavy and many events played out before the cameras, "in Nigeria, you still have to contend with actually trying to ascertain what exactly went on. To some extent, that does affect the way people look at things."

Survivors of the Baga killings described the horrors they witnessed but independent reporting from the scene is virtually impossible for now because the town remains under Boko Haram control. Accounts of the numbers of casualties vary widely. The Nigerian military said 150 people were confirmed dead, but other estimates put the toll at several hundred and as high as 2,000.

Additionally, Ndulo said, the attackers in Paris were French citizens of foreign descent who said they were inspired by al-Qaida and the Islamic State, raising sensitive questions of "inclusivity" and immigration and security policy that many countries can relate to because they face similar tensions within their own populations. In contrast, many fighters in the home-grown Boko Haram movement are Nigerians who may feel alienated by poverty and poor governance, he said.

Jennings warned about the perils of viewing Boko Haram, which recently seized a military base in neighboring Cameroon, as a local problem.

"All too often, conflicts have been assumed to be localized, just left alone until they reach a pitch where they show their international significance," he said. "The danger is that we don't see the links, we don't see people moving back and forth."

___

Associated Press writer Bradley Klapper in Washington contributed to this report.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/goodluck-jonathan-boko-ha_n_6464928.html

1 Like

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 8:41am On Jan 17, 2015
charix:
[url=Mavrick2012]OP[/url] you've said it yourself and multiple times in your post. The word "nairaland", it means this is a site for Nigerian news and happenings. If we were to mention about Charlie Hebdo or Belgian terrorists they'd've to rename it "Franc-land" or "Euro-land".

It is because of the name you only see recurrent news on GMB and GEJ litter the frontpage daily even when they're blatant lies and/or propaganda.
sir,pls why did "kenya mall shooting" made front page?
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by ItsMeAboki(m): 11:00am On Jan 17, 2015
nzeadachie:
HAHAHAHA

Even the Pope acknowledged that there is a limit to freedom of speech; and by that standard, what you just did is known as PROVOCATION - so be careful, because freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to INSULT.

1 Like

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 17, 2015
So you were actually wishing for violence In the North over Charlie Hebdo just so you can use it against Buhari ? awww how sad
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 17, 2015
JUSTUSADECHE:

It did? I didn't notice.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 2:21pm On Jan 17, 2015
charix:

It did? I didn't notice.
but sir,you really sound naive.so all these barrage of foreign news that have been hitting front page almost everyday you "didnt notice" them?bros pls admit this is double standard
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by GBTYO: 2:24pm On Jan 17, 2015
I made a thread about it when the event was unfolding.

The thread was hidden and I was summarily banned by that ram malctunji.

This site is rubbish
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 2:31pm On Jan 17, 2015
dragan:
So you were actually wishing for violence In the North over Charlie Hebdo just so you can use it against Buhari ? awww how sad
NO sir!
by this action you should read politics to northern-violence
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2015
JUSTUSADECHE:

The only foreign news I see on frontpage are how Western policies influence Nigeria or news from fellow African nations. End of story.

Mail your complaint to the mods and/or administrator because they don't pay me to defend nairaland.

Also: We're on a faceless public forum. There's no need to show respect to the next poster.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2015
Mavrick2012:

Before nko?
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by EMANY01(m): 4:33pm On Jan 17, 2015
GBTYO:
I made a thread about it when the event was unfolding.

The thread was hidden and I was summarily banned by that ram malctunji.

This site is rubbish

Someone asked yesterday why the north has not as they are want to do,flared up in protest and asked if it was because;
*the usual suspects are right now busy in their new responsibilities as boko haram terrorists killing and maiming
**the northern elite are so focused on retrieving "their presidency" and cannot afford to allow their imams and those ready tools of mayhem( almajiri foot soldiers "wink , "pour sand sand for their fura".
***All of the above.

I fully expect the likes of omenka,maclatunji,mynd44 and their ilk to do as they did yesterday.

! first hide my comment and others similar to it
!! Then lock the thread after a while
!!!Following an "appeal" from say omenka who will then claiming that the tread is harmful to the current political environment(read ACN Prospects ),the OP and possibly myself will then be banned ,if they are feeling magnanimous ,the ban will be in effect ,till the end of the elections, otherwise 3years.
!!!!Finally all traces of the topic will be scrubbed electronically,and the topic/thread will never have existed.(very CIA ish).

As someone who had spent more than half my life in the north, this is the first time a trigger issue for wanton senseless sectarian violence against non-core northerners ,Christians and southerners is failing to ignite.Whilst some will call that good news,it just confirms what we (the survivors of countless such incidents in the north for the past two and a half decades) have always known and asserted "the elite of the core north have always been in the know about each and every case of sectarian violence and in most cases sanction it or oppose it depending on how it suits their political stance at the time".
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2015
What concerns Buhari and Charlie whatever? Is Buhari a Frenchman? How does the charlie whatever affect Nairaland and Nigeria? Is seun a frenchman? We have our issues to contend with, the french should take care of theirs.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by EMANY01(m): 4:56pm On Jan 17, 2015
barcanista:
What concerns Buhari and Charlie whatever? Is Buhari a Frenchman? How does the charlie whatever affect Nairaland and Nigeria? Is seun a frenchman? We have our issues to contend with, the french should take care of theirs.

How did the Danish cartoons of Mohammed affect Nigeria?
How did the commencement of military action by the US against Afghanistan /Iraq affect Nigeria ?
How did Pastor Terry in the US burning the Koran affect Nigeria ?
How did that movie about Mohammed being a ped and bandit affect Nigeria ?
How did?
How did ?
How did ?
How did ?
How did.............,,,,,......?

Answer
People DIED,INNOCENT DEFENSELESS UNSUSPECTING PEOPLE,MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN,NON-CORE NORTHERNERS,CHRISTIANS,SOUTHERNERS ALL BRUTALITY MURDERED BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE IN NORTHERN NIGERIA FELT THAT THEIR RELIGION HAD BEEN INSULTED.

1 Like

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 17, 2015
So it was Buhari that led the extremists to attack innocent people or they got instruction from him? What role exactly did Buhari play? Why not take your ethnic bigotry to boko haram or ISIS? Must you relate your insecurities to Buhari? Why buhari and not Adamu Muazu or Namadi Sambo? Are they not Northerners? Which one is core and floating northerner again? Bros, abeg you should channel your ander to the government that fails to protect you/and arrest the perpetrators. If you can't hold your government to task, please pick up arms and fight for your right or stfu
EMANY01:

How did the Danish cartoons of Mohammed affect Nigeria?
How did the commencement of military action by the US against Afghanistan /Iraq affect Nigeria ?
How did Pastor Terry in the US burning the Koran affect Nigeria ?
How did that movie about Mohammed being a ped and bandit affect Nigeria ?
How did?
How did ?
How did ?
How did ?
How did.............,,,,,......?

Answer
People DIED,INNOCENT DEFENSELESS UNSUSPECTING PEOPLE,MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN,NON-CORE NORTHERNERS,CHRISTIANS,SOUTHERNERS ALL BRUTALITY MURDERED BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE IN NORTHERN NIGERIA FELT THAT THEIR RELIGION HAD BEEN INSULTED.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by EMANY01(m): 5:33pm On Jan 17, 2015
barcanista:
So it was Buhari that led the extremists to attack innocent people or they got instruction from him? What role exactly did Buhari play? Why not take your ethnic bigotry to boko haram or ISIS? Must you relate your insecurities to Buhari? Why buhari and not Adamu Muazu or Namadi Sambo? Are they not Northerners? Which one is core and floating northerner again? Bros, abeg you should channel your ander to the government that fails to protect you/and arrest the perpetrators. If you can't hold your government to task, please pick up arms and fight for your right or stfu

Funny thing is you brought Buhari into this discussion and now that we are talking about Buhari, I make bold to remind you (seeing as you get AMNESIA anytime Buhari matter comes up) a lot of families can trace the loss of their loved ones in Kaduna directly to his statements/action's.Sharia riots 2000 post election riots, kaduna/kano 2011.
Deny that all you want that is year own,those who feel the loss/pain know who they connect to that loss in their minds.
You think we are all babies born in the year 2000 abi with no knowledge on the reality of Nigerian.
You think it's everybody you can sell "boko haram is Jonathan's doing" bullsh.it to?
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2015
EMANY01:

Funny thing is you brought Buhari into this discussion and now that we are talking about Buhari, I make bold to remind you (seeing as you get AMNESIA anytime Buhari matter comes up) a lot of families can trace the loss of their loved ones in Kaduna directly to his statements/action's.Sharia riots 2000 post election riots, kaduna/kano 2011.
Deny that all you want that is year own,those who feel the loss/pain know who they connect to that loss in their minds.
You think we are all babies born in the year 2000 abi with no knowledge on the reality of Nigerian.
You think it's everybody you can sell "boko haram is Jonathan's doing" bullsh.it to?
I brought Buhari? Obviously you are blind or lack comprehension that you couldn't see the deception of the OP that you support base on your bigotry. You guys keep talking about "his" statement, "what statement" did Buhari make in 2000 and 2011? You are suffering from excessive brainwashing and you need to watch it. If you can't task your leaders to do their job, its your business. As for GEJ and BH, I aint a believer of conspiracy theory like you. "Lubbish"
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by EMANY01(m): 6:01pm On Jan 17, 2015
barcanista:
I brought Buhari? Obviously you are blind or lack comprehension that you couldn't see the deception of the OP that you support base on your bigotry. You guys keep talking about "his" statement, "what statement" did Buhari make in 2000 and 2011? You are suffering from excessive brainwashing and you need to watch it. If you can't task your leaders to do their job, its your business. As for GEJ and BH, I aint a believer of conspiracy theory like you. "Lubbish"

YIMU; whatever floats your boat really. sha don't make the mistake of being in core northern lungus in Kano or kaduna or other similar places in the north when they finally decide to react to the cartoons.If you are really an ijaw man as you claim (a claim that increasingly shows itself to be false) I ( and i suspect a lot of southerners too ) would not not shed a tear for whatever becomes of you.

Oh and "Gerrat"
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 12:33am On Jan 18, 2015
EMANY01:

YIMU; whatever floats your boat really. sha don't make the mistake of being in core northern lungus in Kano or kaduna or other similar places in the north when they finally decide to react to the cartoons.If you are really an ijaw man as you claim (a claim that increasingly shows itself to be false) I ( and i suspect a lot of southerners too ) would not not shed a tear for whatever becomes of you.

Oh and "Gerrat"
even if they will react it will be after the elections.
In kaduna,while we were expecting their protest last week,a friend said they will not react because they dont want to negatively affect their chances of taking back power.
True to his words(and thank God),no reaction.SO SUPPRISE because its first in history atleast here in kaduna.
sincerely,am begining to suspect all this northern-violence,its truely political.
if this their candidate losses the election i will advice churches to tighten their security
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 12:38am On Jan 18, 2015
barcanista:
LOL
you truely love this your Buhari.
But sir,on feb 15th or 16th,hope you will not join those that will cry "rigging"
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by nzeadachie: 1:00am On Jan 18, 2015
ItsMeAboki:

Even the Pope acknowledged that there is a limit to freedom of speech; and by that standard, what you just did is known as PROVOCATION - so be careful, because freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to INSULT.

TEACHER DON'T TEACH ME NONSENSE,THE POPE IS ON HIS OWN, WHO IS MOHAMMED BY THE WAY?

Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by EMANY01(m): 1:05am On Jan 18, 2015
JUSTUSADECHE:
even if they will react it will be after the elections.
In kaduna,while we were expecting their protest last week,a friend said they will not react because they dont want to negatively affect their chances of taking back power.
True to his words(and thank God),no reaction.SO SUPPRISE because its first in history atleast here in kaduna.
sincerely,am begining to suspect all this northern-violence,its truely political.
if this their candidate losses the election i will advice churches to tighten their security

YOU DEY MAKE ME VEX,DID YOU NOT READ MY EARLIER POST?
THEY SUPPRESSED THEIR BLOOD THIRST SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE buhari's CHANCES.
OH AND YES THE VIOLENCE ALL OF THEM HOWEVER INCIDENTAL ARE ALL POLITICAL.
I KNOW PEOPLE IN KANO AND KADUNA WHO WERE MOVING AROUND WITH ARMS IN THEIR VEHICLES BECAUSE THEY ANTICIPATED THE SECTARIAN VIOLENCE BLOW BACK FROM THE CHARLIE INCIDENT.People NOW WAIT AND ANTICIPATE THEIR ERUPTIONS AND PLAN TO DEAL DEATH TO AS MANY HOODLUMS WHO OFFER THEMSELVES INADVERTENTLY (THINKING THEY WILL FIND UNSUSPECTING DEFENSELESS VICTIMS).
A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE DISAPPOINTED THE FANATICS DID NOT RESPOND TO THEIR BASE NATURE.THEY WERE WAITING TO EXECUTE AS MANY RELIGIOUS DOGS AS THEY COULD FIND.
IN ANYCASE, THEY ARE WAITING FOR THE ELECTIONS TOO.
Re: Charlie Hebdo:nairaland And Political Double Standing by JUSTUSADECHE: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2015
EMANY01:

YOU DEY MAKE ME VEX,DID YOU NOT READ MY EARLIER POST?
THEY SUPPRESSED THEIR BLOOD THIRST SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE buhari's CHANCES.
OH AND YES THE VIOLENCE ALL OF THEM HOWEVER INCIDENTAL ARE ALL POLITICAL.
I KNOW PEOPLE IN KANO AND KADUNA WHO WERE MOVING AROUND WITH ARMS IN THEIR VEHICLES BECAUSE THEY ANTICIPATED THE SECTARIAN VIOLENCE BLOW BACK FROM THE CHARLIE INCIDENT.People NOW WAIT AND ANTICIPATE THEIR ERUPTIONS AND PLAN TO DEAL DEATH TO AS MANY HOODLUMS WHO OFFER THEMSELVES INADVERTENTLY (THINKING THEY WILL FIND UNSUSPECTING DEFENSELESS VICTIMS).
A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE DISAPPOINTED THE FANATICS DID NOT RESPOND TO THEIR BASE NATURE.THEY WERE WAITING TO EXECUTE AS MANY RELIGIOUS DOGS AS THEY COULD FIND.
IN ANYCASE, THEY ARE WAITING FOR THE ELECTIONS TOO.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Still My Father, Says Kashamu / Buhari Rejects Rolls Royce In London / (PHOTO) cost of Aisha Buhari Wrist Watch On Inauguration Day Is Falacy Lie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.