Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,070 members, 7,931,684 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 10:45 AM

Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? (26957 Views)

10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil / 6 Steps To Jack Up Your Car Safely / Repainting Of Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by jfking2005(m): 11:09am On Jun 12, 2016
auhanson:
Waoh!! interesting topic.

If i hadn't been there i would have been confused a lot more. But thank God i have 2 experiences, I bought my w202 c class Nigerian use , the painting work was scratched so i decided and gave it a neat spraying job but not a very expensive type like the amount mentioned here. I spotted a dude who does it well over here and he did it for me . This is the 3rd year and i bet you it will still remain like that for the next 10 years, my car is only looking finer by the day. Out of gratitude, i introduce 4 more guys to him a jaguar guy amongst them who inherited from his Dad, the guy did his and the jaquar turns new and he was able to sell at a very good price and went for a car he could maintain.

Out of the four of us, my car still stands out as the best amongst them. People keep on asking me if i respray it every now and then. So the other 3 guys came to me for advice and i put them through , now they are very happy with their cars still looking good except one of them who had already mess his with all sort of lines and scratches here and there, an honda EOD, and i kept on wondering how he did such a mess.

The bottom line is, some guys knows their onions , they may not even be expensive like this dude, but make sure you delibrately allow them room to make some profit for themselves , a craft man deserve this. Don't drag price with an honest painter.

There are ways to maintain your car paint, don't use dry dusty/sandy rag to mess the paint work (the clear coat) . Is either you wash it with a soft clothe(microfiber clothe) or you leave it untill you have time to do so with plenty of water . Use mild liquid soap, preferably car wash but not detergent nor toilet/key soap except for the tyres.

Always mop up the water from the clear coat with a clean wet microfiber clothe to dry after rinsing out the surd, and preferably with an hydrate spayed on the microfiber clothe if you have one , it help protect the paint and maintains the clear coat from harsh conditions and extreme sunlight.

Once in a while(every 6 month) you could wax it to bring out the painting. Never wake up in the morning and just decide to use any rag to rub off the morning dew in the name of cleaning the car. Nothing kills and scratches paint work than this kind of habit. Leave it if you don't have the time to wash, then wash it later.

Can you please help me with your partners contact?
i need to bring back to life one 2013 toyota back to test...Accidented.
Need almost factory standard
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by nutripot: 1:29pm On Jun 12, 2016
abatically:
Yes repainting a car in Nigeria devalues the car and I have my reasons.

Paint jobs carried out in Nigeria are trash, even the so called oven baking. It will cost thousands of dollar to get a car painted to factory specs. Who in Nigeria is willing to pay that much just to respray a car? I had a slight accident with my car last march, i fixed it and decided to oven bake it with the sane color it came with. After 8 months there were scratches everywhere. Even dust dey cause the car to scratch. It is no way near the paint job that came with the car. OEM paint job can last as long as 15 years whearas Nigerian oven baking will barely last 1 year. U can't blame them though, u get what u pay for.

[size=28pt]
There are good painters around in Nigeria- Just don't price them too low otherwise they will use low quality paint for you.

I Did better buy a vehicle in top form with repainted body than buy a first body with sick engine & gear box.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by VeeBabs(m): 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2016
nutripot:

[size=28pt]
There are good painters around in Nigeria- Just don't price them too low otherwise they will use low quality paint for you.

I Did better buy a vehicle in top form with repainted body than buy a first body with sick engine & gear box.[/size]

Gbam. That last paragraph is the summary of this thread. Since we're talking about used cars, it is foolish to prioritize the paint condition of a car over it's mechanical and electrical integrity.

If the car has no dents (or the dents were well taken care of), the quality of the paint should be a low priority item on your checklist.

Used car buyers should focus on these critical items, which, in my experience, should be considered in this order:

1 - Engine condition
2 - Transmission condition
3 - Electricals (run a scan)
4 - Suspensions health
5 - Body dents / paint health
6 - Wheels health
7 - Everything else

This is my personal scale of preference. In some modern cars, the transmission health should be #1 (particularly if the car uses a CVT transmission). Those gearboxes are easily destroyed by using the wrong fluid (common in Nigeria).

For example, the CVT transmission of a 2008 Nissan X-trail costs upwards of N400,000. And that's minus the cost of installation.

Ask Murano owners what they went through with their CVTs!

Remember: A 2008 vehicle. And this is 2016. Imagine if your prospective car is a 2010+ model year.

Engines these days are far more tolerant of "fluid abuse" than transmissions. You may mistakenly use the wrong engine oil, realise your mistake three weeks later, and change it back to factory spec oil. There may be no damage to your engine. Maybe.

But put the wrong fluid into your modern gearbox for one hour and you're already a customer for a new transmission!

Have you ever noticed that engines use "oils" while transmissions use "fluids"?

It might sound insignificant and trivial, but therein lies the reason they have vastly different tolerance levels when the wrong stuff is poured into them respectively.

Ask me why.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Originalsly: 9:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
Sticking to topic..... repainting a car can either add value or devalue the car. If it's a car that's "pimped"... the value goes up. If it's a regular stock car... the value may decrease since the seller has increased the price by adding on the paint job while the buyer would not consider the cost of the paint job and would think the seller painted to hide something . The buyer would now want a reduced price since he would think he is taking a risk! If it's an old did car...a classic. ... the original paint plays a bigger part in the price!

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by VeeBabs(m): 7:46am On Nov 29, 2016
Originalsly:
Sticking to topic..... repainting a car can either add value or devalue the car. If it's a car that's "pimped"... the value goes up. If it's a regular stock car... the value may decrease since the seller has increased the price by adding on the paint job while the buyer would not consider the cost of the paint job and would think the seller painted to hide something . The buyer would now want a reduced price since he would think he is taking a risk! If it's an old did car...a classic. ... the original paint plays a bigger part in the price!

Must vintage cars are re-painted (professionally, of course). You won't expect a 1952 Benz to look "sharp" enough for the price quoted.

Two reasons:

- PAINT QUALITY: you have to admit that the quality and durability of paint obtainable 60 years ago, even if the best of its time, is still inferior to what obtains nowadays.

Vintage cars are not expensive because of their intrinsic value, but because of their age (= scarcity / rarity).
They're a status symbol.

I've never seen a vintage in photos or in real life WITHOUT a shiny, fresh-looking paint job. Every last one I've seen looks like it rolled out of the factory line just last week!

4 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Originalsly: 10:37am On Nov 29, 2016
VeeBabs:

Must vintage cars are re-painted (professionally, of course). You won't expect a 1952 Benz to look "sharp" enough for the price quoted.

Two reasons:

- PAINT QUALITY: you have to admit that the quality and durability of paint obtainable 60 years ago, even if the best of its time, is still inferior to what obtains nowadays.

Vintage cars are not expensive because of their intrinsic value, but because of their age (= scarcity / rarity).
They're a status symbol.

I've never seen a vintage in photos or in real life WITHOUT a shiny, fresh-looking paint job. Every last one I've seen looks like it rolled out of the factory line just last week!
Bro... a vintage car with original paint.... not half rusted or all scratched or dinged up.... is valued more than the same vintage car with the best new paint job available.... the more original the car is.... the higher it's value.

3 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by harqinhola(m): 4:44pm On Oct 26, 2019
This thread got me thinking . So all this “oven bake” thing na scam ? I was almost on the verge of making a painting decision .

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by fowlyansh181(m): 6:43am On Oct 27, 2019
2015 thread?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by gonkin(m): 6:44am On Oct 27, 2019
abatically:

Paint jobs carried out in Nigeria are trash, even the so called oven baking. It will cost thousands of dollar to get a car painted to factory specs. Who in Nigeria is willing to pay that much just to respray a car? I had a slight accident with my car last march, i fixed it and decided to oven bake it with the sane color it came with. After 8 months there were scratches everywhere. Even dust dey cause the car to scratch. It is no way near the paint job that came with the car. OEM paint job can last as long as 15 years whearas Nigerian oven baking will barely last 1 year. U can't blame them though, u get what u pay for.

U should see mine. Just a bent fender and it looks awful when it was resprayed. So im deciding to sticker bomb my car. The first set of stickers totally changed the look and people started asking who did it. That it looks really different
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by uboma(m): 6:47am On Oct 27, 2019
gonkin:

U should see mine. Just a bent fender and it looks awful when it was resprayed. So im deciding to sticker bomb my car. The first set of stickers totally changed the look and people started asking who did it. That it looks really different

Let's see pictures please.

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by naijadrivablog: 6:49am On Oct 27, 2019
Post made 4yrs ago shocked
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by naijadrivablog: 6:50am On Oct 27, 2019
fowlyansh181:
2015 thread?
modsgrin

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Hoodbilonia: 6:52am On Oct 27, 2019
I dey fear to do oven baking.i wish i was abroad
Its not possible to drive a car without dent esp in naija

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by InvertedHammer: 7:02am On Oct 27, 2019
abatically:

/
The problem you mentioned has more to do with the environment than the quality of the paint. Look at all the brand new cars in Nigeria after 6 months. They look crappy. How do they wash cars in Nigeria? They use detergents or dish soap and dirty rags that scratch up the paints. It gets worse during rainy season with all the mud.

Cars are supposed to be cleaned with microfiber towels but they use ordinary towels. Go figure!

/

5 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 27, 2019
Thebigkendo contribute to this
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jidivent: 7:18am On Oct 27, 2019
Kashif:

Nobody says you cannot change your car's colour, but this is even more damning at resale. If a buyer sees a car has bee repainted, the seller has a lot of explanation and convincing to do. If your car has no scratches, dents, rusts, you are not going to repaint it (same colour).

Once a car has been repainted, buyers are more careful. Remember the question here bothers on resale. Its easier to sell a car with original factory paint, talking from experience.

when wont your car have dent, scratches or rust?
with all this stupid driving in Nigeria.

moreover who told you those Tokunbo car you bought in Nigeria are completely the paint they come with?

bro go mix with good painters in Nigeria you will see the secret of tokunbo cars in Nigeria, why can't we jst give what is made in Nigeria a chance to sell,

there are car painters that won't bake your car but my brother your car will be perfectly painted and will last if you can always watch your driving to avoid scratches and dents.

bro paint your car the same colour it came with from a professional painter you will not regret it.

thanks

God bless Nigeria

please if you have never used a car before please dont quote me thanks

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:20am On Oct 27, 2019
abatically:

You just spoke my mind here . People don’t realize that even a baked car in would have scratches all over after few months . So it’s like waste . I have my car I have been using for years now and it’s still the paint that came with it . Friends would say I should repaint I would say no . Most have repainted theirs and there are scratches everywhere . People walk up tome asking the day I want to sell my car they are ready to pay a very good amount because of the same paint that came with it even thou it’s a bit faded .
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by OfficialSam(m): 7:22am On Oct 27, 2019
2015 thread makes front page in 2019. The moderator must be high on Osogbo weed grin

3 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:31am On Oct 27, 2019
dejohnky:
pls lemme ask a vital question; is it the paint that scratches itself or what? cos i dont understand. u av okada riders, keke napep, danfo drivers, truck pushers, cart pushers etc on the street who are liable to scratch or damage ur car at anytime!? no dis that every paint a painter uses on ur car as its code and standard. they will only do for u a job that u are willing to pay for. i dont believe their are shabby painters cos weda u like it dis guys are professionals in der field and dem go chop. pay correct money and i promise u u will get a good job, pay egun and u will get a shabby job.

It’s not about paying correct money . My car is 7years old now and I still drive it . It has little scratches and never in my mind I want to repair it because the paint there would last better then me repainting it . When I use my finger to scarce my car and I use my hand to clean it the mark which my finger gives to the car goes away . But most repainted car even baked here in Nigeria , expensive or cheap when you scratch with a finger and you use your hand to clean it stays there . I bought my car same time my friends bought theirs and most have repainted their cars . Some have painted 3 times mine is the same and still looks better in paint than theirs . I always advice then , they tot I really didn’t know what I was saying now they do . I learnt all this from my first car . In 4 years I repainted it 2 times and at the end it was waste of money because in Few months the scratches would come back .when I got to Ghana found out the paint we used to paint our cars were low quality standard . My uncle has to repaint his BMW and brought everything used to paint his car from Europe . Till now looks like a company factory paint .

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 7:31am On Oct 27, 2019
dejohnky:
pls lemme ask a vital question; is it the paint that scratches itself or what? cos i dont understand. u av okada riders, keke napep, danfo drivers, truck pushers, cart pushers etc on the street who are liable to scratch or damage ur car at anytime!? no dis that every paint a painter uses on ur car as its code and standard. they will only do for u a job that u are willing to pay for. i dont believe their are shabby painters cos weda u like it dis guys are professionals in der field and dem go chop. pay correct money and i promise u u will get a good job, pay egun and u will get a shabby job.

Have you seen those Nigerian professionals charge higher and people refuse to pay, or do one force them to charge more?

The problem is that they have no high quality paint to use.

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:33am On Oct 27, 2019
dgitrader:
Interesting. I noticed some repainted cars sparkling bright, but only to start fading and wear off within months. Especially the topmost part of the car that get direct impart of sunlight. Why is that?

That is caused by detergent used to wash the car . Detergent also changes the car color . When you respray a car , never use detergent to wash the car . Go buy liquid washer to wash to help keep the paint .

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 7:35am On Oct 27, 2019
cecegorz:

You are right bro.
My first car was used for four years with the glossy Factory paint still shinning, but had to repaint it early last year because of scratches here and there (door sides and bumpers), usually caused by Okada, keke, buses and some over zealous drivers.
The so called oven baking was even done by a NL member that advertised his job here, and I decided to patronize him but I can tell you that just under one year, the whole thing became dull and gets so easily scratched by even wash clothes and dust shocked
Now, you see all kinds of lines on the roof top that you'll never find on a car with the Toks paint still on.
It's different when another car or bike dents your car than when you notice upper parts that never gets into contact with other objects having some visible lines and faded within a year.
Nigerian artisans lack requisite skills, even when the technology is the same with the Oyibos, they are always in a hurry and won't do a thorough job.
I regretted doing that whole oven bake, I would have just painted the sides and bumpers and leave the roof/boot/hood as it were.

The question is can requisite skill turns the low quality paint in Nigerian market to a high quality one used by car manufacturers?
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 7:37am On Oct 27, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:

That is caused by detergent used to wash the car . Detergent also changes the car color . When you respray a car , never use detergent to wash the car . Go buy liquid washer to wash to help keep the paint .

Mine last one year after respray washing with liquid detergent as of now the shinning of the paint have gone.

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:38am On Oct 27, 2019
chuka5000:
If ur car is in good condition I dont think the naija paint job will affect its price. I have sold 3 of my cars that were painted here in naija and I sold them well.
Besides there's even one that u can hardly know that it was repainted, I can post pix wen I return to abj after easter.
U shld know also that sometimes its not the price of the job done that matters but the expertise and experience of the spray .
@ siena. Good point bro.

The same cars you are saying you can hardly know it was repainted if I stand in front of the car and look from afar you I would definitely know . Most of my friends when buying cars would take me along and when we get there the dealers get angry when I show and tell them the car is resprayed it has had body filler filled on . They sometimes come back to ask me how I knew I tell them my 20 years of driving and sitting with painters and mech has tot me alots . If I stand beside a repainted car all I need is a torch light . And stand about some meters away then I point to the sides , you will see it’s repainted ..

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 7:41am On Oct 27, 2019
dgitrader:
Interesting. I noticed some repainted cars sparkling bright, but only to start fading and wear off within months. Especially the topmost part of the car that get direct impart of sunlight. Why is that?

I have suffered same, low quality paint in Nigerian market is the major problem.

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:43am On Oct 27, 2019
auhanson:
Waoh!! interesting topic.

If i hadn't been there i would have been confused a lot more. But thank God i have 2 experiences, I bought my w202 c class Nigerian use , the painting work was scratched so i decided and gave it a neat spraying job but not a very expensive type like the amount mentioned here. I spotted a dude who does it well over here and he did it for me . This is the 3rd year and i bet you it will still remain like that for the next 10 years, my car is only looking finer by the day. Out of gratitude, i introduce 4 more guys to him a jaguar guy amongst them who inherited from his Dad, the guy did his and the jaquar turns new and he was able to sell at a very good price and went for a car he could maintain.

Out of the four of us, my car still stands out as the best amongst them. People keep on asking me if i respray it every now and then. So the other 3 guys came to me for advice and i put them through , now they are very happy with their cars still looking good except one of them who had already mess his with all sort of lines and scratches here and there, an honda EOD, and i kept on wondering how he did such a mess.

The bottom line is, some guys knows their onions , they may not even be expensive like this dude, but make sure you delibrately allow them room to make some profit for themselves , a craft man deserve this. Don't drag price with an honest painter.

There are ways to maintain your car paint, don't use dry dusty/sandy rag to mess the paint work (the clear coat) . Is either you wash it with a soft clothe(microfiber clothe) or you leave it untill you have time to do so with plenty of water . Use mild liquid soap, preferably car wash but not detergent nor toilet/key soap except for the tyres.

Always mop up the water from the clear coat with a clean wet microfiber clothe to dry after rinsing out the surd, and preferably with an hydrate spayed on the microfiber clothe if you have one , it help protect the paint and maintains the clear coat from harsh conditions and extreme sunlight.

Once in a while(every 6 month) you could wax it to bring out the painting. Never wake up in the morning and just decide to use any rag to rub off the morning dew in the name of cleaning the car. Nothing kills and scratches paint work than this kind of habit. Leave it if you don't have the time to wash, then wash it later.

Kudos to you . Your response is 100% . Same thing I tell friends . Most people would use detergent to wash cars . They don’t wet their cars or wash out dust and Sands with water before washing ..

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Jamersirwin1971: 7:46am On Oct 27, 2019
hisgrace090:

Mine last one year after respray washing with liquid detergent as of now the shinning of the paint have gone.

Then the paint used was a low quality paint . Most times the car sprayer mix the paint they buy. And currently in the market most paint sold are from China .
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by vRendoh(m): 7:49am On Oct 27, 2019
abatically:

..perfect submission Bro
Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by princeadams11: 7:50am On Oct 27, 2019
abatically:

Yes someone can decide to change the color of his car, but can u spend over $2,000 to give ur car a paint job? Unless u can do that, then it will never be like first body.
I once repainted my vehicle in USA and all i got was BIG TIME DISAPPOINTMENT.

3 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 7:53am On Oct 27, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:

Then the paint used was a low quality paint . Most times the car sprayer mix the paint they buy. And currently in the market most paint sold are from China .

Yes low quality and high quality paint is the answer.

2 Likes

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by Mutemenot(m): 7:53am On Oct 27, 2019
We got good painters but it's unfortunate the car owners want a to save their money while the painter wants to make more profit. At the end the car suffers it . I repainted my car over a year, it's very clean and neat but it can never be compared to the original paint ...

1 Like

Re: Does Repainting Your Car Devalue It? by hisgrace090: 8:00am On Oct 27, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:

It’s not about paying correct money . My car is 7years old now and I still drive it . It has little scratches and never in my mind I want to repair it because the paint there would last better then me repainting it . When I use my finger to scarce my car and I use my hand to clean it the mark which my finger gives to the car goes away . But most repainted car even baked here in Nigeria , expensive or cheap when you scratch with a finger and you use your hand to clean it stays there . I bought my car same time my friends bought theirs and most have repainted their cars . Some have painted 3 times mine is the same and still looks better in paint than theirs . I always advice then , they tot I really didn’t know what I was saying now they do . I learnt all this from my first car . In 4 years I repainted it 2 times and at the end it was waste of money because in Few months the scratches would come back .when I got to Ghana found out the paint we used to paint our cars were low quality standard . My uncle has to repaint his BMW and brought everything used to paint his car from Europe . Till now looks like a company factory paint .

Among all that have commented on this topic you pointed out the major problem, which is paint quality not professionals with anyhow paint.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria / 2005 Audi A4 Vs 2000 Honda Accord (baby Boy) / Bmw X3 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.