Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,919 members, 7,980,276 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 10:32 AM

Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! (710 Views)

Gunmen Kidnap Jonathan’s Cousin, Otazi (Mrs) / KIDNAP: I Slept On Bare Ground, Trekked Several Kilometres — Falae / Gunmen Kidnap Diezani Allison-Madueke's Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by SeanT21(f): 6:50am On Dec 21, 2008
Two workers of a Russian aluminium company have been kidnapped by gunmen in Nigeria, the company says.

A statement from UC Rusal said the pair, workers at the Alscon aluminium smelter, were snatched in the town of Ikot Abasi in the Niger Delta.

Reports said gunmen in speedboats attacked the residential compound in the middle of the night.

The Russians' whereabouts were unknown, Itar-Tass news agency reported. Attacks on foreigners are common in Nigeria.

A statement from UC Ruscal said: "The two employees of the company were kidnapped. The company is taking all necessary measures to free the hostages as soon as possible."

More than 200 foreigners have been kidnapped by militants in the Niger Delta, the heart of the country's oil industry, since 2006.

A collapse in law and order has allowed armed groups to make a living extorting money from oil companies that have to keep their operations going, correspondents say.
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by SeanT21(f): 6:52am On Dec 21, 2008
They need to start attacking their government officials instead of these helpless foreigners.
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by profits1: 7:10am On Dec 21, 2008
ah thanks SeanT21, I logged on this morning to flash this news as an eyewitness acount behold you have done it from exile, it happened just less than a kilometer away from me, more gist to come on it.
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by profits1: 7:13am On Dec 21, 2008
There was a Militant attack 2 years ago in the same place which prompted govt to mobilize plenty soldier to guide the expertriates, but this attack occurred bw 3.15 am to 4.40 am of 20th DEC without millitary suppression
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by profits1: 7:17am On Dec 21, 2008
The environmental situation within that 2hrs was like war situation, but brethren are we wrong to say that there is war in our Niger delta Region?

IF YOU SEE THE Destruction of cars and properties you sympathise with tax payers money and foreign investor who risk and invest in Naija
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by diggler(m): 8:01am On Dec 21, 2008
Some of these militants get their arms from Russian mobsters in exchange for crude.

Anyways i hope Rusal get their men back.

Whats with these militants attacking non-oil workers (Julius berger, Rusal) ?

Long Live the Niger-Delta

May that Oil never finish!!!
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by profits1: 9:37am On Dec 21, 2008
How ever, the federal Government hasnt been so proactive about stopping this menance, Nigeria is politicising politics rather than giving meaning to Political achievements
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by SeanT21(f): 6:21am On Dec 22, 2008
profit$:

ah thanks SeanT21, I logged on this morning to flash this news as an eyewitness acount behold you have done it from exile, it happened just less than a kilometer away from me, more gist to come on it.

AWWW.I can not believe you witness it.
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by FBS: 9:04am On Dec 22, 2008
though I'm not a fan of russians, but these idiots should stop disgracing Nigeria. if na money them want make them settle them quick quick o jare! nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Russians! by profits1: 6:27pm On Dec 22, 2008
My people The hostages hasnt been released and the Millitants are yet to mention their ransom, the state governor has just visited the site/location

(1) (Reply)

Are U A Rivers Indigene Or Lives In Portharcourt? Then Read This! / Senate To Remove Efcc From Agf Influence / Nigeria's 2011 Presidential Election; Atiku-oyinlola Ticket Likely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.